As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World of Tanks, now (well, still) with inferior German tanks!

A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
OP Shamelessly stolen from Synthesis:

World of Tanks is a free-to-play MMO that combines simulation and RPG-esque experience building mechanics in battles between a multitude of armored vehicles from the 1930s, 1940s, and very early 1950s, including a great many that never existed off of paper.

It's developed by a little company called Wargaming.net, based out of London and a country you may never have heard of, but recognize some names of rivers if you've played STALKER.

mbelarus.gif

It's BELARUS. Or BYELORUSSIA, as the old spelling is. Not RUSSIA. And while it is no matter of life or death, you will be corrected if you make the mistake. Quake in fear.

The gameplay combines experience building with things like armor penetration, deflection rates, explosive power and other features, which are distributed among over a hundred different armored vehicles. Having selected your vehicle, its engine, turret, armarment and other features, you're placed in third/first-person battles pitting two teams of 15 players against one another. There are two ways to win: obliterate the other team, or hold their base long enough to capture it. For winning, each player is awarded research experience and credits, the primary in-game currency.

The game has recently left beta, but is, however, still free to play--all you need to do is register and download the client. Additionally, since the end of the Beta, there is also a purchase system which can be used to purchase the secondary in-game currency gold, which does various things from speeding up crew training to buying certain "premium" shells and tanks. Gold is also rewarded in various in-game contests and special events, so keep your eyes peeled.

But on the exciting part: the tanks! Tanks are currently distributed between four countries (the Soviet Union, the United States, German Reich, and most recently the French Republic), encompassing mass and limited production models, prototypes, and theoretical tanks, and, with the exception of premium tanks, are researched through each nation's tech tree. Within a tank, its upgrades--cannons, engines, suspensions, turrets, and radios--can be researched and equipped to your tank to use in combat, Silent Hunter III-style.

Screenshots:
wot_td_screens_12.jpg
wot_screenshots_himmelsdorf_01.jpg
worldoftanks_2010-12-29_16-19-27-04.jpg

Video:

Actual gameplay footage

High-speed sports cars not included

While all of this might seem a little daunting, the Wargaming.net has put together a very comprehensive Wiki which covers every facet of the game, including tactics. It is very easy to get into (in literally a battle or two, you can get set up with a very pleasant-to-drive light tank, and fight almost exclusively against similar tanks), but very difficult to master (the competition in the higher tiers of armour is vicious by comparison). While you can play in battles immediately, and join other platoons for free, to actually host your own, you must purchase "Premium time" (starting to see a theme here?). It isn't necessary, however, to join a clan or existing platoon. Tank company battles can also be organized, but they tend to be overwhelmingly staggered to the highest two tiers, and primarily consisting of heavy tanks--at this moment, Wangpanzers doesn't really have much in that area in its inventory.

We have a WoT in-game Channel! PennyArcade, Password: wang

Clan Business:

The PA clan is the aptly-named , whom can usually be found playing in the evenings and communicate through PA's vent channel (IP 69.12.36.171, port number 2377). Our current roster is on Google Documents here.

In the meantime, if you'd like to join, be sure to post your in game name, and your primary tank or two.

NEW STUFF

Coming soon is 7.5, which adds new tanks, more French nerfs because we all have learned to expect a new round, and a revised matchmaker (just as bad as the old matchmaker)! Mediums and TDs finally get their due with Tier 10 variants, and Germans are once again demonstrably left behind, at least in the Medium department.

A duck! on

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The thread is dead!

Long live the thread!

With that out of the way, I have finally unlocked a tier 5 tank. The AMX 12t. Which I should shortly be able to buy... and then get freebies with next patch.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Om nom nom new thread

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    About once a week there is a part of me that wants to, like, buy a Lowe or a T30 or something and play some tanks again. I don't know if I could live with myself as a human being if I gave WG any more of my money, though.

Mission accomplished. Got my AMX 12t.

Promptly lost the first time I rolled out... but not before circling an enemy tank and going nuts with my revolver cannon. (2 sec shot interval is sexy)

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I'm coming back to this from not playing it since beta, are tank destroyers a bunch of fun?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    I really like the US turreted TD line. I don't much like standard TDs (some of them are awesome, most of them are paper without much of a gun or speed to make up for it)

If you play one tank your entire life, make it the M18 (or T49!)

edited July 2012
    TDs are mostly defensive units, since almost all of them have no turret, many are slow, etc.

But as defensive units... they kick ass with decent scouting going. It's amusing to fire sniping shots that one-shot someone.

And yeah, the higher tier US TDs can have turrets (There's a turreted line, and a non-turreted one).

Polaritie on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    now that my bdr has the 90mm i can at least pretend im a mediocre td and not a really slow light tank

Where are the coolest SPGs?

edited July 2012

Unfortunately, MLRS isn't in the game. Nor Atomic Annie.

I suppose it's for the best.

Polaritie on
    ah dang i tried the compressed texture thingy but it screws up on my pc, which is so old and loads wot so slow :(

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I just got teamkilled at the end of a game by a guy because I "stole my(his) top gun, asshole" and then told him to cry about it as we were capturing the enemy base. Rrr.

Kane Red Robe on
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I just got teamkilled at the end of a game by a guy because I "stole my(his) top gun, asshole" and then told him to cry about it as we were capturing the enemy base. Rrr.

Best Part? You get nothing for top gun but a medal. No bonus xp, money, anything. So it's not even worth getting upset over.

96058.png?1619393207
    i just got a boelters medal on my bdr.

it is such an up and down tank, if i get seen its im dead it has so little armour and is so slow. it is really a TD as the gun is decent for the tier but if any meds catch me alone its all over.

wow ok i just got my arl 44, i guess the turret was an afterthought

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    It is exceptionally rare that I get to be top tank and actually pick on people. Usually my team just lets the flank I'm not on get rolled (or leaves me an entire flank to myself, where I get rolled). This game though, was an absolute blast.
    I can only drive the IS-8 so well because it's an over-sized medium

[Edit]
    For those who don't want to watch, this was the result:
    Victory! Battle: Erlenberg July-18-12 12:41:54 PM
    Vehicle: IS-8
    Experience received: 3,750 (x2 for the first victory each day)
    Credits received: 62,944
    Battle Achievements: Böelter's Medal, Top Gun, Sniper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

I had 10 kills, which is nice because something finally beat out my most kills being 9 in a Luchs (something I always hated)

ArcticLancer on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Polaritie wrote: »

No BM30 with optional air conditioning?

I am disappoint, son.

EDIT: If I ever start playing again, I'll definitely try cobbling together enough credits to buy a T-44. I never had a chance to play it after it got the LB-1, just against it--they didn't scare me in my Type 59, but I do appreciate a fun tank all the same.

Synthesis on
  • KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

No BM30 with optional air conditioning?

I am disappoint, son.

EDIT: If I ever start playing again, I'll definitely try cobbling together enough credits to buy a T-44. I never had a chance to play it after it got the LB-1, just against it--they didn't scare me in my Type 59, but I do appreciate a fun tank all the same.

At least you got up to the T-44 before they nerf the med Russian line (removing the IDIOT gun)

Though I will say it is a fair move considering they are lowering the mm tiers quite a bit.

I'm just hoping they do something to the french heavy line considering the mediums are going to rule hard and the french heavies are just, uh, really bad mediums with an autoloader

i think ill give up on the french heavy line, they have no armour and thats silly

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2012
    i think ill give up on the french heavy line, they have no armour and thats silly

Armor is mostly worthless at the end of the game. It helps against arty, but any decent tanker isn't going to have much of an issue penetrating you. Good mobility and being able to deal damage quickly and accurately is the bigger benefit. Armor really only comes into play in 200+meter battles. I mean, most people looked at the T110 on test and figured it was garbage based on stats, but its mobility, accurate gun, fire rate, great penetration and good gun depression have turned it into one of the best Tier 10s.

A duck! on
    It's also exceptionally good against medium tanks because of all that *and* it's annoyingly good frontal armor. Granted that some of the T10 medium guns might not care as much, but at this point, I hate fighting T110s. They fire as fast as me, do more damage, and are almost as mobile? Plus they can bounce me? Son of a bitch ...

yeah thats ok then

i think ill just stick to playing through all the middle tiers atm. i got in my vk4502 and was put in an assault match on sand river as attacker, and i was 1 of the cappers! when i eventually got there. survived, fired 4 shots at 2 tanks, made less than 1k profit... back to my lee its half way to the sherman

A duck! wrote: »

Armor is mostly worthless at the end of the game. It helps against arty, but any decent tanker isn't going to have much of an issue penetrating you. Good mobility and being able to deal damage quickly and accurately is the bigger benefit. Armor really only comes into play in 200+meter battles. I mean, most people looked at the T110 on test and figured it was garbage based on stats, but its mobility, accurate gun, fire rate, great penetration and good gun depression have turned it into one of the best Tier 10s.

While you are definitely right a lot of the time, I think you are overestimating the pubbers. Those of us that aren't in a Tank Company/Clan and just do pub games, armor is pretty massive.

Not to mention armor does help a lot on those random ass "that should have penned" bullshit rng shots. I am talking, this is your last shot versus an E-75 and it is either you or him. You take your shot at his lower glais! Perfect shot! WOOO I WI-BOUNCE and then die shaking your fist at God as you go down. When I think about it, that situation happens constantly and enough to piss me off. Don't get me wrong, I like my stock 50 120 but the more I play the french lines the more I get annoyed. There aren't any of those "hahaha I bounced your killing blow now I kill you" bullcrap with french tanks because they absolutely loving taking bullets anywhere and everywhere.

There is also this horseshit where I can never ever pen the turret ring for damage on an enemy tank but get constantly turret ringed by some jackass miles away in just about any tank I play.

Or

Maybe I am chronically unlucky

oh yeah, in clan matches or whatever theyre called im sure organised meds wreck heavies

I just realized I have spent all my money I managed to save up during those double credit weekends

Now I need to find some tank to actually make money on that isn't prem, because I am el cheapo

when i started out usually it was tier 5 heavies that made the most like the kv-1 or for me the t1 heavy even though everyone else seems to hate it

they may have changed it since though, i see they put the kv-2 in and gave it the 107

• LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    when i started out usually it was tier 5 heavies that made the most like the kv-1 or for me the t1 heavy even though everyone else seems to hate it

they may have changed it since though, i see they put the kv-2 in and gave it the 107

The tricked out T1 is a great tank. Very underrated. Good frontal armor, good fast accurate high pen gun. If you're top tank in a match it's not that hard to get Top Gun.

steam_sig.png
    Ok, so I finally researched the StugIII, on my hetzer I haven't researched the 2 radio upgrades and figure I shouldn't since they wouldn't work on any other vehicle. Should I just sell the hetzer and move on to the stug? I also didn't get the 7.5cm pak 39 tournament.

do whatever you want really, if you want higher tier tanks just sell the hetzer and get stuck into the stug

Right now I am trying to figure out my future plans for WoT

I have only maybe 2 mil of silver, I've been on a spending spree recently and it is a bit ridiculous how much I spent

I have an AMX 50 120 (that I love but it is not maxed out), a T32, a Panther 2, a KV-4, and an IS-8 all maxed out.

I am like, welll I could easily get an IS-7 researched but I won't have the money for it and really do I give a shit? I could get an ST-I which is a great tank but I already have the IS-4 researched so it'd be an endish tank for fun. I could build up towards an E-50 which is doubly great because of the new mediums butttttt I could also go up the T32 and go towards a T110 which is amazing in every way.

My other problem is that my 50 120 is amazingly fun to play even if the product of playing it (the 50B) is mostly useless and will be totally useless come the next patch.

WTF DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOO

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    How do you feel about the tanks after the 50B? The T-34 to T-34/85 are becoming like that, given the loss of one of the later's better (or perhaps best) guns. And the T-43 is awful, as it has always been by and large (though will it be losing the 100 as well?).

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    Keysier wrote: »

I have only maybe 2 mil of silver, I've been on a spending spree recently and it is a bit ridiculous how much I spent

I have an AMX 50 120 (that I love but it is not maxed out), a T32, a Panther 2, a KV-4, and an IS-8 all maxed out.

I am like, welll I could easily get an IS-7 researched but I won't have the money for it and really do I give a shit? I could get an ST-I which is a great tank but I already have the IS-4 researched so it'd be an endish tank for fun. I could build up towards an E-50 which is doubly great because of the new mediums butttttt I could also go up the T32 and go towards a T110 which is amazing in every way.

My other problem is that my 50 120 is amazingly fun to play even if the product of playing it (the 50B) is mostly useless and will be totally useless come the next patch.

WTF DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOO

Keep grinding out that American heavy line. The T110 is simply amazing. Or start up the American medium line, from what I played of it on test, the M48 was so much fun.

• G. CactusG. Cactus Registered User regular
    Ok, so I finally researched the StugIII, on my hetzer I haven't researched the 2 radio upgrades and figure I shouldn't since they wouldn't work on any other vehicle. Should I just sell the hetzer and move on to the stug? I also didn't get the 7.5cm pak 39 tournament.
    Generally you want to grind out everything you can on the lower-tier tank. But if you were going to use the howitzer on the Stug anyway, there's no harm in grinding out the short 75mm on it rather than on the Hetzer.

That radio situation on the Hetzer is odd. Are they Czech radios or something?

Synthesis wrote: »
    How do you feel about the tanks after the 50B? The T-34 to T-34/85 are becoming like that, given the loss of one of the later's better (or perhaps best) guns. And the T-43 is awful, as it has always been by and large (though will it be losing the 100 as well?).

Yeah I can't believe they are going to remove the 100mm, I understand why (tighter matchmaking) but the buff to the 85 is really uninspiring.

Simpsonia wrote: »
    Keysier wrote: »

WTF DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOO

Keep grinding out that American heavy line. The T110 is simply amazing. Or start up the American medium line, from what I played of it on test, the M48 was so much fun.

Sounds good, the more I look at the T110 the more jealous I get. That gun's RoF and aim time are just ridiculous in comparison to other tanks, especially since before now I was mostly Russian. Aim time wasn't a thing it was more "sit and get shot" time

edited July 2012
    G. Cactus wrote: »
    Generally you want to grind out everything you can on the lower-tier tank. But if you were going to use the howitzer on the Stug anyway, there's no harm in grinding out the short 75mm on it rather than on the Hetzer.

No, they're the standard fugs, 10 and 11, it says they don't have any other compatible vehicles.

Edit: All the other tanks go from fug 7 to fug 12.

TheLawinator on
    G. Cactus wrote: »

No, they're the standard fugs, 10 and 11, it says they don't have any other compatible vehicles.

Edit: All the other tanks go from fug 7 to fug 12.

Get them if you want to elite the hetzer and never have to think about it again, isn't there some medal for elite'ing an entire country? Maybe it is just researching all the tanks. I wouldn't get the radios if I was in your situation, but eh, I'm sure they aren't that much work

so playing through the m4 getting xp for next tank now

is the only difference between the e2 and e8 the armour and speed, they both have the same top gun

The E2 is a significantly more capable tank, largely because of that armor. The E8 isn't useless or anything, but the E2 is practically invulnerable to half its tier and under in a head-to-head fight.

jumbo it is then!

did they take out that map... komarin? its like a ying yang layout with a creek through the middle and island in the center

they took out swamp and that one I think, yeah

I haven't played a dragons ridge in awhile either, might've taken that out too?