As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First Annual Cereal Convention [Mini-Phalla]: Game Over, Village and Marital Victory

LanglyLangly Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Critical Failures
A Langly and I Needed a Name To Post Production

Greetings. You are receiving this message because you have shown promise in the sacred act of murder. Do not worry about how we found you; your continued anonymity is assured.

Most of the world looks upon our works with disdain and horror. They call us brutal, reptillian, insane. There are some who see us as artists who paint upon a live canvas. They see beauty in the horror, they recognize the genius of the kill.

But we know the truth of the matter. Homicide may be brutal, it may be art in the hands of a master, but it is above all a profession. It is a chosen career for a select few, who provide a useful service to society. We drive public sector civil service business, we are a significant driver in the private security economic engine. Without us, the 24 hour news cycle would run itself into the ground.

They may fear and despise our work, but they desperately require our unique services. That is why they are inherently lesser beings.

With this in mind, my colleague and I have decided to celebrate the life we lead. We have organized the first annual Serial Killer Conference, to be held in Miami, Florida, at the Gaylord hotel and conference center, from July 22 to the 25th. To ensure anonymity, we have scheduled the event to take place at the same time, and in the same space, as the 50th annual Breakfast Cereal Conference. Please excuse our inability to pass up a good pun.

The conference will be a chance to meet others in your field, to discuss best practices, new advancements, and little known tips and tricks of the trade. It is time that we realize that we are stronger together than we are apart. Time to make the professional killer a professional experience.

As this is the first stab at an organized event, registration will be limited, and attendees will be accepted on a case by case basis.

If you would like to be considered, please reply with a letter of reference, and you will be contacted quickly with our reply.

We hope to see you in July.

Sincerely,

Langly and INANTP

Phalla?

Phalla is Penny Arcade's version of the party game Mafia. This is a mini phalla, constructed for 30 players. If you are new to the game, you may want to read a more detailed description and ruleset here. In general, the basic rules are as such:

- You may not screenshot any conversation in an attempt to confirm anything.
- You may not add anyone to an already established pm chain.
- You may make one "ghost post" when you die, which may not contain any game information, and then you may not speak on game events any longer.
- If you create any proboards, you must invite the hosts.
- You must include the hosts in any pms you have with other players.
- You may not edit vote posts.
- You must vote for a player each day until directed otherwise. Going two days without making at least two posts and a vote post will result in your removal from the game.

Voting

Each day, vote for someone you believe to be a member of the mafia in Red. Vote close will be at 10:00 PM EST (7 PM PST). All actions must be in by 9:59. Actions with a time stamp of 10:00 or later will be considered invalid.

Game Specific Rules

This is an experimental phalla, based on the standard mafia vs. village game mode. The theme is loosely based on the Serial Killer Convention short story in Neil Gaiman's Sandman Graphic Novel. In this game, every village role is a serial killer. Not in a narrative fluff sense, but in the real, actual phalla role known as the serial killer. Each villager starts with dual win conditions: They may either win with the village, or they may attempt to be the last man standing in the game. The mafia are cereal mascots from the legitimate convention going on in the same hotel, attempting to rid themselves of the murderous infestation

Traits and Obsessions

Each player (including the mafia) will have a number of Traits, and one Obsession. Rather than being able to just kill anyone right off the bat, players will only be able to actually kill another player who has a trait which matches the attacker's Obsession. For example:
Langly has the PRETTY and GENIUS traits. His Obsession is killing DORKS. INANTP has the DORK and DWEEB traits. He is Obesessed with killing GROTESQUE people. So when Langly targets INANTP, INANTP will be killed. If INANTP targeted Langly, however, his attack would miss.

This system will mean that your traits will be very important to your safety. Reveal them at your peril.

When a player makes a successful kill on a target, they will gain one of the player's traits/obsessions as an additional obsession marker (meaning they can essentially hit more targets). This will be chosen at random.

Village Victory / Serial Killer Victory

If/When the mafia is eliminated from the game, everyone left will lose their obsession and have it replaced with a true kill. The narrations will also stop flavoring the kills to give any hints about where the kill came from. Voting will continue as normal, however players will not be inactivus punished for not voting at this point.

Each day after the mafia is eliminated, each player must either

- send in an order saying that they wish to win with the village
- send in a kill order

If a player sends in an order to win with the village they may not take any other action. Play will continue until either all of the surviving villagers confirm their desire to lay down their arms, or until one player remains.

The mafia can win as normal.

This Phalla has been balanced to give everyone a fair shot at winning, but with experimental mechanics, there is always the chance that something could go horribly wrong. The main goal here is to have a crazy, hilarious phalla that everyone will hopefully have a fun time with.

If you would like to sign up, you must make a post in lime green listing your professional references. Regular !Sign up posts will be deemed un-professional and not accepted.

(this is just a fun sign up thing, everyone is welcome to sign up)

Notable serial killers from recent previous phallas have had spots reserved.

Anticipated Clarifications
- What is the order of actions?

The vote comes first, then all actions are resolved simultaneously

- Thralls/millers?

Clarification Denied

- Conversions?

There are no conversions

- Ties?

A tied vote will kill both targets

- Are the reserved people promised special roles etc?

The reserved slots was just a fun RP thing for me, and something to use community history as a neat tie in. They will be randomly assigned roles just like any other player.

Langly on

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Player List

1. Infidel (Harbinger Phalla)
    2. Phyphor (City of Amber Phalla), Girl Next Door, Murdered by the Honeycomb Beast
    3. Wiet (Phalla of Leaves)
    4. Rend (Kamen Rider Phalla), The Dollar Bill Killer, Killed in the Halls
    5. The Anonymous (Phalla Wars and several others), Mr. Bean, Napalmed
    6. Kime (Phalla of Cables and a million others), The Big Bad Wolf, Died to the Vote
    7. Kilnaga (E.V.O. Phalla), John Doe, Murdered in the Night
    8. The Road Virus (Possibly lying about being Jack the Ripper)
    9. Obifett (Alternate Universe Killer, Professional Hitman, and JRPG Jerk)
    10. Cayrus (Unfortunate Vig), The Busdriver, Stepped in front of a Claymore
    11. Jdarksun (Virtuoso of Death in Phallopolis), The Stepford Husband Honeycombed?
    12. Enlightened Bum (Just Breaking into the Business), Ceasar, Murdered and served by the Mafia
    13. Tzeenchling (Eruditely Innocent)
    14. Retaba (Shrouded in Moon Mystery)
    15. GrimmyTOA (Spirit of the Minotaur), The Hunchback, Murdered in the Night
    16. SaberOverEasy (Itchy Trigger Finger), The Honeycomb Beast, Democratically put to sleep
    17. Shalmelo (Killer Hockey Skills)
    18. Anialos (Meow)
    19. The Dagon (Danced like an Egyptian)
    20. SeGaTai (The Man with a Grudge)
    21. That Dave Fella (Gandalf the You Mad?)
    22. Teucrian (Vicious Munchkin)
    23. Egos (Tagged in)
    24. Sportzboytjw (Sporty Killer), The Surgeon, Democratically murdered
    25. Premium (Carp Based Killer)
    26. Ringo Kaplar (Christmas Cake Killer), The Trix Rabbit, Killed in the Halls
    27. AkimboLegs (Convention Crasher)
    28. Cythraul (Time Weasel), The Southern Belle, Murdered by the Mafia
    29. Baidol (Post or Die), Stephen Hawkillbot, Bang Bang Shoot Shoot
    30. Megafrost (Megadeath)

Game Start

Langly on
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Time to the last five years looking for a time when I was a SK!

you don't actually have to have been a SK role in order to sign up, you can just make things up for your references

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    They call me Jack the Rippah

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

Letters of Reference:
    Evil Abed
    Teepo
    Hitman for the Mob

ObiFett on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Just an FYI

I will not stop until you all die

(Also, anything themed, however loosely, on Sandman gets a :^: in my book)

By killing someone, can your new Obsession be a duplicate?

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Oh god Langly phalla.

You were my first you know. You never forget your first.

I've never been an SK before, but I killed a lot of people as the vig in Figgy's Mansion phalla.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Just an FYI

I will not stop until you all die

(Also, anything themed, however loosely, on Sandman gets a :^: in my book)

By killing someone, can your new Obsession be a duplicate?

No, you will not receive a duplicate Obsession

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Have they ever figured out who Jack the Ripper was?
    Exactly

• Options
    Langly wrote: »

ahahahahaha

I forgot you were on the other end of that one... :P

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

ahahahahaha

Good times, good times. We should team up to destroy the rest of the game more often!

Hey Langly/INANTP, you may want to emphasize that new players are welcome with a creative sign-up or something, since so far everyone is signing up based on past games.

Steam profile
  • Options
    also

@wiet
    @infidel
    @rend
    @kilnaga
    @phyphor
    @The Anonymous

Just so that they'll know this is starting.

• Options

ahahahahaha

Good times, good times. We should team up to destroy the rest of the game more often!

Hey Langly/INANTP, you may want to emphasize that new players are welcome with a creative sign-up or something, since so far everyone is signing up based on past games.

The OP was changed to reflect this

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Greetings, gentlemen.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    So, Are we going to be given the roles of random serial killers throughout history? CAN I BE JAWS?
    I like the idea of being wheeled around in a huge tank to murder people

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    Rend wrote: »
    Greetings, gentlemen.

Oh no The Renegade!?

Steam profile
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It begins

• Options
    So, Are we going to be given the roles of random serial killers throughout history? CAN I BE JAWS?
    I like the idea of being wheeled around in a huge tank to murder people

all roles are originally written and based on nothing other than what INANTP and I thought would be really funny

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Greetings, gentlemen.

Oh no The Renegade!?

It's good to see you, my good man!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    !signup

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    I very much look forward to this :D

• Options
    Weeeak, Mr. Bug Swarm

Steam profile
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    Hi.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    No experience as a SK, but I do have experience convincing people I'm someone I'm not. Sign up.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    sIGN UP I'm afraid I don't have much experience in the way killing, but I am willing to learn.

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »
    sIGN UP I'm afraid I don't have much experience in the way killing, but I am willing to learn.

Lies and slander

Steam profile
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    A serial killer conference? Doesn't seem like there's room for the (NEVER EVIL).

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options

ahahahahaha

Probably the most fun/intense phalla I've played in. And it was mainly because of you, kime.

That was also when I learned to fear you.

• Options
    B:L wrote: »
    A serial killer conference? Doesn't seem like there's room for the (NEVER EVIL).

except for when you are the initial member of a death cult?

• Options
    Weeeak, Mr. Bug Swarm

We don't understand the idea, frankly. We're all just appendages of the great Hive Queen, so...

Note, I'm just indulging kime; I'm not going to do this. I just felt queasy about making something up, considering today's news, and I have never been a SK in Phalla, or even a particularly good vig.

I DO think I created the best SK role ever, conceptually, anyway in Zombie David Broder. But that could be my hatred of David Broder.

• Options
    Retaba wrote: »

Lies and slander

But it is true! Outside of the times I've been mafia, I've only been a vig once and that was a 1 day affair. Never been an SK.

• Options
    Being a bad vig is even better! Like my all-village vig run a few games back

• Options
    You've never been a SK in Phalla before?

.... well at least that's about to change :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    I think I've been a vig about once and died on day two or so. I'd have to look back.

I suppose the closest I've ever come was in my first game (LaOs' Gods and Phalla in D&D) where Elki raised me from the dead as a zombie, giving me three kills. I hit two mafia and Elki himself.

• Options
    Man, you guys are weird.

I've been, like, all the roles.

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I've been a seer. Once ;)
    All other roles multiple times I think

Phyphor on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'll play. Only Serial Killing experience was waaaaaay back in Rend's Phallabyrinth.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Man, you guys are weird.

You've also played like, every game in the forum since it was created. I took a couple years off, and even when I was playing wasn't in every game.

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    I've been a seer. Once ;)
    All other roles multiple times I think

Seer has been my most called to special!

• Options
    Man, you guys are weird.

You've also played like, every game in the forum since it was created. I took a couple years off, and even when I was playing wasn't in every game.

jdarksun has been playing before me! etc! I'm not the earliest, even if I do play most of the games.

I was also out of the country a couple times for several months in the past few years. Didn't play then!

So there nyuh!

:P

Steam profile
  • Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Gentlemen (and ladies, of course), it's a pleasure to see all of you. While I have certainly been... responsible for certain deaths before, I don't believe I've ever had to opportunity to actually get my own hands dirty.

I think I may enjoy the change