As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fox News- obviously journalism!

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    The reason why MSNBC leans liberal is that Reality and things that are actually happening have a notorious liberal bias. When they report on things actually happening (unlike fox news) there will be by US standards a liberal bias, because it's simply the way the world is.

So when Hillary Clinton's campaign noted how fucking biased MSNBC was for Obama over her, that was their truth bias shining through.

Good to know.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    The reason why MSNBC leans liberal is that Reality and things that are actually happening have a notorious liberal bias. When they report on things actually happening (unlike fox news) there will be by US standards a liberal bias, because it's simply the way the world is.

So when Hillary Clinton's campaign noted how fucking biased MSNBC was for Obama over her, that was their truth bias shining through.

Good to know.

You're using the Hillary Clinton campaign as a source for bias against them? Sure that makes sense, I mean they have no reason to report differently.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited July 2012
    Preacher wrote: »

Good to know.

You're using the Hillary Clinton campaign as a source for bias against them? Sure that makes sense, I mean they have no reason to report differently.
    Everyone who is unfairly represented has a reason to report it.

MSNBC's bias isn't a liberal bias. It's an Obama bias. Handed down on high from GE. I'm not saying it's fox news, before anyone starts up with false equivalency BS, but it's pretty biased.

EDIT:
    From the wiki
    Following several years in which many observers noted politically liberal bias in the channel's programming and news operations, MSNBC publicly acknowledged its progressive agenda in October 2010 while launching a marketing campaign with the tagline "Lean Forward."[10][11][12][13][14][15][16] In a June 2011 interview, MSNBC president Phil Griffin stated that "MSNBC has established a sensibility, a position, a platform" and that "MSNBC is really the place to go for progressives.

Once a news network has established a position and a platform, it doesn't get to be called "unbiased".

BSoB on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Good to know.

Everyone who is unfairly represented has a reason to report it.

MSNBC's bias isn't a liberal bias. It's an Obama bias. Handed down on high from GE. I'm not saying it's fox news, before anyone starts up with false equivalency BS, but it's pretty biased.

People who are losing also see bias in places it doesn't exist (see: conservatives v. "liberal" media).

No one is saying MSNBC isn't biased, at least I'm not. But you are claiming a specific bias for Obama, and your article says "for progressives", which is not the same thing. Also again while biased MSNBC does report on facts, even Rachel Maddow while being an opinion show is giving you an opinion about an honestly reported on News story. Like when she talks about abortion restrictions in america going up, she has facts backing that up. The same can not be said for Fox News.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    News coverage started to piss me off as soon as the desire to be seen as objective was surpassed by being seen as balanced.

If one side says the earth goes around the sun and the other insists that the sun orbits the earth, you don't go looking for a n earth-centric 'astronomer' to balance your reporting by championing that view. You call that side out in being fucking wrong and move on.

JihadJesus on
    edited July 2012
    No one is saying MSNBC isn't biased, at least I'm not.
    You didn't, tbloxham implied that they didn't have a bias, and claimed that they only appeared biased because of reporting THE TRUTH.
    The same can not be said for Fox News.
    Glad you managed to squeeze a shot off against Fox news, i thought we were gonna go a whole 2 posts without attacking them.

Crisis adverted.

BSoB on
    You didn't, tbloxham implied that they didn't have a bias, and claimed that they only appeared biased because of reporting THE TRUTH.
    Glad you managed to squeeze a shot off against Fox news, i thought we were gonna go a whole 2 posts without attacking them.

Crisis adverted.

Again when the network runs GOP talking points as stories, have misleading graphs that show the opposite of what the data does, and in the case listed earlier grossly change the photos of journalists that disagree with them, I think they deserve all the hate they get.

pleasepaypreacher.net

Crisis adverted.

Again when the network runs GOP talking points as stories, have misleading graphs that show the opposite of what the data does, and in the case listed earlier grossly change the photos of journalists that disagree with them, I think they deserve all the hate they get.

Oh I agree. I'm going to the store and buying some frozen pizza later. Wanna give me some tips on a brand?

Also don't forget to attack fox news.

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular

Crisis adverted.

Oh I agree. I'm going to the store and buying some frozen pizza later. Wanna give me some tips on a brand?

This thread is specifically about FOX news, and many of us here disagree with the way they do the news. What exactly did you think would be happening in this thread?

• SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Jesus Christ, what kind of maniac tries to assign political blame to something like this while they're still trying to figure out how many have died?

Liberals both of the Democrat and Republican nature? Round the same time FOX was crowing about OWS, ABC was crowing about the Tea Party.
    O'Reilly's radio show was actually pretty moderate and reasonable. I have no doubt that he hams it up on The Factor.

I listened to his radio show very often. He was a completely different person for television.
    Shit like this makes my head spin. Someone needs to get a out a dictionary, point out the word "liberal" to this fuck-nugget and enlighten him to the fact it means the complete polar fucking opposite of what he thinks it does.

Practically the entire world minus North America would apply Liberal to both our Democrat and Republican party. Kinda like how the Democrats are "Left" in the US but staunchly considered center right by anyone Not American. Republicans just seem more nasty because they're a reactionary party.
    The reason why MSNBC leans liberal is that Reality and things that are actually happening have a notorious liberal bias.

I don't really think reality has a liberal-in-the-American-sense bias.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

I mean, you do realize that means we are staying on topic, right?

Here's another example of Fox News' amazing integrity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXcU6ZvHtXg

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular

Crisis adverted.

OMG, someone criticized Fox News! That's an ATTACK!!!

Or, you know, what this thread is about.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular

Once a news network has established a position and a platform, it doesn't get to be called "unbiased".

How relevant is that platform though? I mean, Fox's position is 'fair and balanced', which is a falsehood, and definitely not reflected in their content. So, I'm not sure if it's prudent to take MSNBC's position as an indicator of their overall content. They can say one thing and do whatever else they want. Though, I'm not familiar enough with MSNBC's actual content to comment on any actual bias, aside from Maddow, which as far as I can tell, covers more factual circumstance than anything else.

Lucid wrote: »

How relevant is that platform though? I mean, Fox's position is 'fair and balanced', which is a falsehood, and definitely not reflected in their content. So, I'm not sure if it's prudent to take MSNBC's position as an indicator of their overall content. They can say one thing and do whatever else they want. Though, I'm not familiar enough with MSNBC's actual content to comment on any actual bias, aside from Maddow, which as far as I can tell, covers more factual circumstance than anything else.

So your stance is that MSNBC might not be biased, even though it claims it is?

I'm not sure how to respond to that. Maybe MSNBC is so incompetent that they can't even get their own bias right?

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    MSNBC and Fox aren't really analogous; for however 'left' MSNBC leans, they don't go anywhere near as far as Fox goes the other direction. Also with the general exception of Maddow (who's pretty good), they're a relatively centrist, corporate-friendly sort of 'left.'

Fundamentally it's the same move, though; they've identified a niche market and they're trying to appeal to it.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    syndalis wrote: »

I mean, you do realize that means we are staying on topic, right?

Here's another example of Fox News' amazing integrity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXcU6ZvHtXg
    Uh, I have an article from the Paris Business Review that Fox News is bristling with integrity.

YL9WnCY.png
    Man I would never trust anything with the initials of PBR.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Holy shit, somebody actually said that MSNBC leans liberal because reality has a liberal bias?

Wow.

There was a wonderful rush to judgement today by ABC and others in blaming a Tea Party member for that shooting in Colorado. I'm sure it was an honest mistake though, not an example of confirmation bias leading liberals in the media to dive into a story that proved completely wrong.

• DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Wooo Fox News. I did my final in speech class on Fox News. Everyone was genuinely surprised that this happened-

fox-news-shitty-photoshop.jpg

I'm sure it was an accident

959tebowspiece678wj4%25282%2529.jpg

That map is real? How can a show do that? Surely someone, somewhere called them out on it? Does the USA not have an ofcom equivalent? Lots of questions here cause JESUS.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited July 2012
    Why is ABC suddenly liberal media? And it was one reporter Brian Ross who fucked up this morning, not the entirety of ABC, and even in his report he acknowledged they didn't know for sure if it was the right John Holmes, still dangerously stupid, but not THIS GUY DID IT FOR SURE YES!

But at least it wasn't Louie Gohmert stupid who accused this of being an attack on Christians and wondered why no one in a darkened theater filled with teargas fired back.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    All right, to be fair I think ABC is probably the least biased of the broadcast network stations.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I haven't seen anybody blaming the Tea Party. I did hear about Fox blaming Occupy Wall Street and a Tea Party-type congressperson blame the victims for not shooting back.

Tomanta wrote: »
    I haven't seen anybody blaming the Tea Party. I did hear about Fox blaming Occupy Wall Street and a Tea Party-type congressperson blame the victims for not shooting back.

Brian Ross this morning reported on the wrong John Holmes, because amazingly there were two in Aurora, and the wrong was was affiliated with the Tea Party.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    And that's not a case of any particular bias, Brian Ross has a documented history of saying stupid shit with no facts to back them up in the name of hopefully breaking a story and getting more eyeballs.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    MSNBC definitely moved liberal in the past 5 years or so to try and gain ground against CNN. It eventually worked.

FOX NEWS by the way was completely ignored until W. Bush was elected and didn't really take off until after 9/11. They worked very hard in recruiting personalities and cultivating their audience with the right lies and such.

They are without a doubt full of evil people and among the best obfuscaters on the planet, but they are brilliantly run.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    And that's not a case of any particular bias, Brian Ross has a documented history of saying stupid shit with no facts to back them up in the name of hopefully breaking a story and getting more eyeballs.

So its a case of an idiot somehow still allowed on the air? Ok thats not points for ABC.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular

So its a case of an idiot somehow still allowed on the air? Ok thats not points for ABC.

Yep.
    This is on top of Ross' previous breaking-news blunders: There was the time he falsely connected the 2001 anthrax attacks to Iraq; the time he described the Ft. Hood shooter's emails to Anwar al Awlaki—which the FBI knew about and regarded as related to his medical research—as attempts to "reach out" to "people associated with Al Qaeda"; and the time he falsely reported that one of the planners of the Christmas underwear bombing was a former Guantanamo detainee (the guy happened to be in Saudi custody at the time). And then, of course, there was the time he hyped the Toyota Death Machine story by passing off staged footage of a parked Toyota revving its engines as a runaway automobile.

Jesus, and this guy is allowed on the air? ABC that is shameful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    My idiot parents watch the news nightly, and their only source is Fox News. I can't stand it.

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Fundamentally it's the same move, though; they've identified a niche market and they're trying to appeal to it.
    Fox are hardly niche, they have something like 30-40% of the market. I think they're the most popular news network in the US.

They do like to bang on about the evils of the "mainstream media" though, the irony of which is apparently lost on their viewership.

World's best janitor
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Nope, Fox News is a niche, they have a very small viewership

The problem is their bullshit gets repeated by more reputable news

Well they are both, they are the largest cable news network, its just that cable news is an incredibly small demographic. Like Fox's top shows get beat by sponge bob reruns.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Lucid wrote: »

So your stance is that MSNBC might not be biased, even though it claims it is?

I'm not sure how to respond to that. Maybe MSNBC is so incompetent that they can't even get their own bias right?

Perhaps you've misunderstood. If a news network declares a position but the content doesn't follow suit, is their position relevant to the content aired? It could very well be likely that they simply want to brand themselves as a home for progressive news media, but is this actually the case(I'm not aware of the totality of MSNBC's coverage)?. Just as Fox wishes to present itself as 'fair and balanced', but their content is decidedly not so.

Lucid on
  • WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    A couple of the gems that stood out for me. I recall Mark Foley's (R) scandal some time ago. Fox labeled him as a Democrat more than once.
    oreilly-foley-d-3.jpg

I also remember the completely out of the blue "terrorist fist jab".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_vmQrTi3aM

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    All right, to be fair I think ABC is probably the least biased of the broadcast network stations.

Well, they're owned by Disney, a company that is kinda famous for kowtowing to the social right wing, and many of the their reporters are openly conservative.

If anything, ABC is simply "not all that informative one way or another." It's the same game that CNN plays: "We won't report on ANYTHING and then everyone will love us!"

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Disney has been pretty open to the gay community at least in their theme parks.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Oh God, I had completely forgot about the "terrorist fist jab" bullshit. How anyone could take them seriously after that I have no idea.

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Well they are both, they are the largest cable news network, its just that cable news is an incredibly small demographic. Like Fox's top shows get beat by sponge bob reruns.
    Spongebob isn't telling you how the world is though.

It'd be better to compare figures to other news sources, no?

World's best janitor
    Well, a quick and lazy check shows Bill-O with about three million viewers the other night while the NBC nightly news averaged about eight million viewers about a week ago.