As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fox News- obviously journalism!

1235»

• Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    it does sway people, though. Fox News' existence in the last decade is basically a case study on the overton window.

Yes, it sways people in that it's part of how TV frames narrative, but I'm doubtful that it's as effective at deception as, say, CNN is. Now, it's effectiveness at shaping actual legislation is quite another matter, and quite frightening.
    Okay, so then what's the story with CNBC?

CNBC is a financial news network with a 'all of our anchors are on fucking speed' format. I can't stand to watch or listen to more than 5 minutes of it at a time, partly because I disagree with the ideological position the network has (very pro laissez faire) and partly because Holy shit these guys are on speed.

Jim Kramer is an awful human being with a shitty ethos (but apparently his stock picks are pretty good. Except when he gave everyone bad advice which he personally profited from during the meltdown. Whoops). Melissa Lee is an insane New Zealand nationalist.

Aside from those two, the cast of the anchors seem okay-ish, given the overall format.

Honest question (I don't follow CNBC or New Zealand politics), might you be conflating two different Melissa Lees?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    It matters to me.

The company is splitting in two and he's still involved.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in related and glorious news: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18940016

Pray excuse me a moment whilst I dance the happy dance

It doesn't matter.

I read that as "a string of dictatorships"...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Craw!Craw! Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Godfather wrote: »
    Ah, I see!

Lately I've been at a loss to find a good news outlet I can regularly go to. I usually just get my news from the Internet or word-of-mouth, but my dad (a hardcore conservative republican) always beats it over my head that he wants to hear where I get my news from. I think I need to get some clear answers for him just to get him off my back, but also because it be real nice to have an outlet that isn't tainted by the usual network BS.

Tell him you get your news from http://www.aljazeera.com/ . One, it is a really good news outlet, two, it actually has more in-depth coverage of happenings in the US than you'd expect (and what some readers outside the US would like, I'm sure), three, it's freaking al-jazeera which will make your conservative dad's worldview spin around so badly he's gonna be nauseous.

Craw! on
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Craw! wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »
    Ah, I see!

Lately I've been at a loss to find a good news outlet I can regularly go to. I usually just get my news from the Internet or word-of-mouth, but my dad (a hardcore conservative republican) always beats it over my head that he wants to hear where I get my news from. I think I need to get some clear answers for him just to get him off my back, but also because it be real nice to have an outlet that isn't tainted by the usual network BS.

Tell him you get your news from http://www.aljazeera.com/ . One, it is a really good news outlet, two, it actually has more in-depth coverage of happenings in the US than you'd expect (and what some readers outside the US would like, I'm sure), three, it's freaking al-jazeera which will make your conservative dad's worldview spin around so badly he's gonna be nauseous.

I would have said Fox news just to shut him up but this is a better idea.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Well, a quick and lazy check shows Bill-O with about three million viewers the other night while the NBC nightly news averaged about eight million viewers about a week ago.
    In that case wikipedia lied to me!

Still though, three million... that's still kinda scary. How many of those were people watching ironically I wonder?

World's best janitor
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    lu tze wrote: »
    Well, a quick and lazy check shows Bill-O with about three million viewers the other night while the NBC nightly news averaged about eight million viewers about a week ago.

Still though, three million... that's still kinda scary. How many of those were people watching ironically I wonder?

Not many, probably a 5-digit number if I had to guess. Not a huge surprise that network news out-draws anything on cable, but 3M is more than NBC gets on some of their other prime-time programming.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular

Keep in mind the general population though. The US has around 300 million people living here. That means, on average 1 out of 100 people is a Fox viewer.

• Options
    HuuHuu Registered User regular
    Xobyte wrote: »

Keep in mind the general population though. The US has around 300 million people living here. That means, on average 1 out of 100 people is a Fox viewer.

This little fact always crack me up when fox viewers start crowing about how important and "big" their news network is.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Xobyte wrote: »

By the same token, only about 3 in 100 people watch NBC nightly news. So in the context of news audiences, it is still a significant number.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Craw!Craw! Registered User regular
    Well if I understood Marathon correctly he was talking about average watcher statistics for both NBC and Fox, which isn't the same thing as "amount of people who regularly watch NBC/Fox News". Unless everyone following the news watches every single programme, then equating the first statistic to the second would give an underestimation. Just sayin'.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'd call the "average viewing statistics" to being just about equal to the "amount of pople who regularly watch." If you watch something on a regular basis, then it's fair to say you're part of the crowd who is, on average, viewing a program. Now saying "Program Y on Channel X had Z viewers on date ABC. This means that on average, Channel X (or Program Y) has Z viewers" would be incorrect.

So yeah Marathon's comparison isn't really correct. The only thing that can be gotten from what he found is that the NBC news could be expected to have 5 million more viewers that Bill-O's show on the particular date he found the 3million viewer statistic for.

Veevee on