As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel vs. Capcom 3] - Salt levels reaching critical mass

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I was on a tear in ranked matches earlier and played a guy whose gamertage was fLoE. Is that the floe's gamertag? I thought it was EG floe or something similar.

I beat him but he was using some weird Wolverine/Nova team, which I've never seen floe use. He didn't really seem to know what he was doing.

House of Paincakes on
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I was on a tear in ranked matches earlier and played a guy whose gamertage was fLoE. Is that the floe's gamertag? I thought it was EG floe or something similar.

I beat him but he was using some weird Wolverine/Nova team, which I've never seen floe use. He didn't really seem to know what he was doing.

Sounds like a f(raud)loe if you ask me. Reminds of the time Maximillian bumped into someone using Combofiend's tag and team comp on XBL. Despite the fact that I don't think Combofiend plays online anyway, and that he plays the game on a PS3. :P

Ahhh it's so good to win with Nemesis. Went 29-23 with my sparring partner (The Tron/Hulk/Thor guy) and I started to develop some new strategies on the fly using Vajra assist (my team is Nemmy with Launcher Slam, Magneto with Disruptor and Strider anchor with Vajra) to lock down grounded opponents and then the moment they leave guard-stun I land a command grab for tons of damage. Furthermore there really were lots of games out of those 52 matches where Strider really shined as an anchor - between level 3 X-Factor damage and speed aiding his mix-ups, Ouroburos aiding his mix-ups, and just planning ahead with using Formation moves to cover mix-ups, he could either kill or stall long enough for a time over in my favour unless he got tagged. Love this team.

Now I'm thinking of making team Triple-S: Skrull/Sent/Strider. Because I miss playing Skrull. :(

Dunxco on
  • SivrajSivraj Registered User regular
    True or False?

You shouldn't use Sentinel if you're not using Drones.

XBL - Degami | Steam - Degami | Battle.net - Degami #1837 | PSN - Degojin
  • RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    From what I know right now, I'd say true. Drones are one of the better assists around in several ways, and his other assists are pretty meh in general anyway. Rocket Punch is just a plain OTG that you could largely consider worse than Wesker's even since it doesn't hit low, and it switches his cross over combination to Plasma Storm instead of Hyper Sentinel Force. And frankly I don't think I've ever seen the Sent Force Bomb assist ever used for anything. Maybe it has some strange potential somewhere or another, but it'd have to be for a really specific case.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Only problem I see with Task as Anchor is that its a bit harder for him to open people up on his lonesome so making a 2 to 1 comeback and be tricky.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. I've run him on anchor before and he's not terrible, you're just gonna have your work cut out for you trying to get in on people if you need to. Tasky's counters can really screw with your opponent and give you some mental comeback potential so he does have that going for him. He's really not easy to lame out.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Sivraj wrote: »
    True or False?

95% of the time true.

There are very, very specific team setups where Sentinel Force (Bomb) is a great assist. For example, I know Jill prefers Sentinel Force (Bomb) over Sentinel Force (Charge) in combos because if you call Sentinel and then use her Fallen Prey OTG, by the time the animation has finished for it the bombs have landed and the opponent has been OTG'd.
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Pretty much what I was gonna say. I've run him on anchor before and he's not terrible, you're just gonna have your work cut out for you trying to get in on people if you need to. Tasky's counters can really screw with your opponent and give you some mental comeback potential so he does have that going for him. He's really not easy to lame out.

Taskmaster has next to no mixups on his own, this is true. He has trouble opening people up because he's kinda slow. On the other hand, he has 1.1mil health, and Shield Skills will blow up anything that isn't a high-durability projectile, and he can combo off of it. Sword normals give absolutely zero fucks about armoured moves too. There's loads of pressure thanks to his arrows.

Actually I'd go as far as to say Shield Skills is what makes Taskmaster good in any spot. He's not going to excell at any particular area like a "dedicated" character does. It's the dirtiest option select in the game. You either hit and can go into a combo from there, or you can just OS it into a back throw and tiger knee an aerial hyper. I'd love to see some more Taskmaster players using his counter, or using his "unblockable" special move because looking at the info for it on SRK's wiki that thing causes hella damage.

@HouseofPaincakes I know you love Zak Bennett so here's some news for you: Apparently he's strongly considering dropping Ammy anchor and going for Dante anchor instead.

• House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Sivraj wrote: »
    True or False?

I think KaneBlueRiver from Chile uses rocket punch assist with his Haggar/Sentinel/Hulk team (I may not have that order correct).

Dunxco wrote: »
    @HouseofPaincakes I know you love Zak Bennett so here's some news for you: Apparently he's strongly considering dropping Ammy anchor and going for Dante anchor instead.

House does not approve. Apparently he is also dropping Dormammu for MODOK too which will be...interesting. I just can't imagine MODOK and Dante being better characters than Dormammu and Ammy to help Firebrand get going. I imagine Jam Session will be great for setting up unblockables on incoming characters, but I feel like Cold Star would be better for mid-match. I don't play any of those characters though so I could be way off my rocker here.

I dunno, maybe he's going to use MODOK for some serious TAC shenanigans.

House of Paincakes on
    edited July 2012
    Since drones seems to be one of the most popular choices for Sentinel, I decided to hop back in training room to see if I couldn't figure out how to use it with Nova. After quite some time in the lab, I figured out a way to reliably extend nova's combo with Sentinel's drones!

I also have a "swag" combo, but it rarely works :lol: . But the good news is if it doesn't, it still seems safe on block and it kinda turns into a reset.

Sivraj on
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    From what I know right now, I'd say true. Drones are one of the better assists around in several ways, and his other assists are pretty meh in general anyway. Rocket Punch is just a plain OTG that you could largely consider worse than Wesker's even since it doesn't hit low, and it switches his cross over combination to Plasma Storm instead of Hyper Sentinel Force. And frankly I don't think I've ever seen the Sent Force Bomb assist ever used for anything. Maybe it has some strange potential somewhere or another, but it'd have to be for a really specific case.

Drones are excellent for a lot of reasons, but it really depends on your team composition and your style of play. I can agree that RP is kind of crap, but bombs have their uses. They trade the long-duration space control of drones for uninterruptibility and fast coverage. Sentinel gets protected from counter-hits and supers, and they can occasionally help with mixup shenanigans against people who aren't used to them.

Oh another feather in the cap of Bomb drones over Charge drones:

Charge drones disappear if Sentinel gets hit. Bombs do not.

Man, landing a hit with sentinel is so satisfying. Definitely been digging the plastic robot.Tempted to give Spencer another go if I can have drones backing him up.

In other news, I ran into a really interesting (and well played) she-hulk/iron fist/hawkeye team. He used poison tip assist with hawkeye to relaunch in shehulk's combo. Similar to how I relaunch with Nova's assist. After shehulk died, he used cross over combinations with ironfist/hawkeye into xfactor for touch of death combos. Gimlet caused the hit stun while fist of fury let.him.travel through enough of the screen to xfactor combo.

Overall, I thought his team was really neat.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Why is Iron Fist considered to be so low tier? Everyone that uses him seems to be able to kill characters with no problems, and his DHCs are all pretty solid.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Why is Iron Fist considered to be so low tier? Everyone that uses him seems to be able to kill characters with no problems, and his DHCs are all pretty solid.

Yeah, everyone knows that Iron Fist can kill most characters by himself.

Problem is he has to touch you to do that. Against other rushdown characters/teams that isn't too hard, but against a zoning team it is an obstacle course just for him to get in.

Not to mention he has almost no air game to speak of.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    he doesn't get a hit

well i guess other than doing the THC gimmick into xfactor, which will only work once

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
    Yeah, Iron's Fists major problem is his lack of air game (to the point his S launcher doesn't even work on airborne opponents). Honestly I'd rate his grounded game better than many of those rated more highly than him, but unfortunately that one problem is a huge one to have in this game. To the point that it makes you largely unplayable in a highly competitive environment, yeah.

Btw, does anyone know of any particularly good interactions between Nova and Sentinel without needing Spencer as well? A quick glance around online didn't turn up much, so figured I'd ask.

edited July 2012
    Yeah, Iron's Fists major problem is his lack of air game (to the point his S launcher doesn't even work on airborne opponents). Honestly I'd rate his grounded game better than many of those rated more highly than him, but unfortunately that one problem is a huge one to have in this game. To the point that it makes you largely unplayable in a highly competitive environment, yeah.

While this is a big problem for Iron Fist, it can be nullified to an extent with the right assists. It's another case of "Hidden Missiles solves everything". You could form a pretty convincing team of something like Iron Fist on point backed by a lockdown (Ammy, Frank, Akuma and Taskmaster spring to mind quickly. I would say Hawkeye but idk about DHC options compared to the other guys - maybe you can DHC from Volcanic Roar into Kiss of Fire?) and something to help control the air (Hidden Missiles, plus Sphere Flame DHC puts Doom in favour, or Vajra which Iron Fist should be able to confirm off of with his OTG Rekka). Really when you get right down to it, there's high/top tier characters with little air game like the DMC twins - Dante only gets an air game in DT and outside of that he's left with strumming his guitar or going for a box-dash overhead j.M/H.

I think an optimal Iron Fist team might look something like Iron Fist(Rising Fang)/Dr. Doom(Hidden Missiles)/Amaterasu (Cold Star). Maybe switch Ammy out for Akuma but I don't know how good Tatsu is for Dr. Doom while I know Doom backed by Ammy is scary.

Fucking hate Dr. Doom and how useful he is to everyone in this game. Such a boring, boring character and Missiles are dumb.

Edit: CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AXu0oHc2KI

Brb labbin' with Chris because I forget how awesome this dude is.

Dunxco on

Btw, does anyone know of any particularly good interactions between Nova and Sentinel without needing Spencer as well? A quick glance around online didn't turn up much, so figured I'd ask.

I've been playing Nova/Sentinel/Taskmaster lately. Use drones to get in and extend Nova's combos with taskmaster's up arrow assist. I also use the up arrows to protect sentinel when he's doing full screen H beams. Then I use centurion rush assist to try to set up some unblockables with sentinel.

I doubt it's the most ideal team, but it's really fun.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

I wasn't sure where it was going. Then it was the best video I've ever seen.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...I mean...that wasn't really a glitch or anything.

>_>...just an unfortunate reverse blowup.

HA HA OH WOW

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Ok, so help me with Vergil.

First, I need to stop playing after a set number of beers, as my stellar record and promotion to 8th Lord were both destroyed this weekend when my girlfriend and I enjoyed a bunch of beverages and she wanted me to win with "the Raccoon man!" Ugh.

But once I hit 8th rank, it always get matched with 6th level stuff, and both times Ive managed to get an 8 rank, the 6th level is ALL VERGIL, ALL THE TIME.

And it's mostly people repeating his teleport, and then doing a never ending combo. I have NO idea how to deal with this. NONE. Im still using Strange/Hawkeye/Cap.

ANY help on how to fight Vergil would be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm at my wits end with this.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Ok, so help me with Vergil.

First, I need to stop playing after a set number of beers, as my stellar record and promotion to 8th Lord were both destroyed this weekend when my girlfriend and I enjoyed a bunch of beverages and she wanted me to win with "the Raccoon man!" Ugh.

But once I hit 8th rank, it always get matched with 6th level stuff, and both times Ive managed to get an 8 rank, the 6th level is ALL VERGIL, ALL THE TIME.

And it's mostly people repeating his teleport, and then doing a never ending combo. I have NO idea how to deal with this. NONE. Im still using Strange/Hawkeye/Cap.

ANY help on how to fight Vergil would be GREATLY appreciated, as I'm at my wits end with this.

Ha! Whenever I bring up the game to my missus she gives me glares because I'm not playing as Ammy, and why doesn't every team have Ammy on it, and how could you let those guys beat up Ammy? :(

But yes, how to solve a problem like Vergil:

I'm relatively sure Spiral Swords > Teleport behind you is unblockable online. That shit happens so fast that the game just goes a big fat NOPE when you try to switch up blocking. Offline it's a piece of cake but otherwise, yeah it's going to hurt.

Vergil is made of paper (850,000 life) so you absolutely 100% have to capitalise on any stray hit you land on him. Even if it's "Oh I hit him with an arrow from across the screen, now I must Gimlet". His air game is pretty weak so if I you can keep the fight in the air he's going to have a hard time opening you up. Pester him from the air with Daggers of Denak/arrows/Shield Slash. If he's coming in as 2nd/anchor, realise that his Rapid Slash assist is not safe - as soon as he starts charging forward he can be hit out of it, comboed, and killed. Also Vergil is susceptible to incoming mixups and his only options are to pop Dimension Slash on entry, Helm Breaker, or block.

A big big big weakness to Vergil's game is that he cannot cancel his normals into anything other than hypers when they whiff. If he hits or you block then he can start his mix-up game, but if you can start baiting his normals and he misses with them then Vergil has to burn a meter to make himself safe with Devil Trigger or Swords.

If you find yourself as Cap vs Vergil and he's got you locked down while blocking, pop Hyper Stars and Stripes. Because it's a 0-frame move, if somebody isn't blocking when the hyper flash goes off, they won't be able to block it, then you can make him eat a shield, and should get him off of you.

• Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but was the print run of UMVC3 relatively small? I've held off on buying it until it hits the £15 price point (due to having bought vanilla at full price on day one) but I'm wondering if Capcom are readying a "Game of the Year" edition.

Man, great advice. I hadnt thought of punishing with Hyper Stars and Stripes, and now I can't wait to do it. It also explains why Vergil has given me much more trouble than normal - when I used to use Morrigan, I played in the air a lot, and this squad is much more grounded.

Where does Vergil's teleport decide to land? Normally I see the double crouch happening and know it's coming, and still can't react. If I try and keep Hawkeye or Cap out against Vergil, when I notice the crouches starting, could I use a trick manuver L to get back, or maybe cartwheel through it?

Also - when I was at the 8th rank (Ill get back today, and get back to .500. I'm determined. 68-92 at the moment), I started running into all those DHC glitches again that we saw around Evo, that escape. Basically a guy ran Magneto/Doom/Sentinel, and got Magneto killed off.

Every time I did a hyper combo, Doom would call for Magneto, nothing would happen, I'd whiff, and then Doom would jump out again. Infuriating.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    Can't say I know anything about the print run of UMvC3. You could probably get it used somewhere for cheap, though.

In regards to Vergil, the basic things to know are:
    1) Rush in to punish if you cause him to whiff a normal, as mentioned earlier.
    2) When he uses Helm Breaker, jump up back right before it comes into contact with you on the ground to create punish opportunities you wouldn't normally have had you blocked it standing.
    3) When you're blocking him and he has Spiral Swords active, don't pushblock him away. This just lets him create more mixup opportunities for himself, whereas leaving him next to you leaves you in constant guardstun while the Swords remain around and is in fact much easier to block.
    4) If he's not on point, it's definitely worthwhile to use a snapback to force him in. Unlike Wesker, he has low enough health that most team builds worth a damn will be able to kill him with a basic combo into DHC.

It's probably also worth going into training and practicing guarding against Rapid Slash in his strings just to get the feel for it. Anytime he's in play and you're in a neutral position with him, you should be trying to put some pressure on him one way or another (this is true in general but particularly true here just because Vergil can be dominating once he gets going otherwise).

Lastly I want to point out that his teleport isn't like Dante's. It's a quarter circle motion, not down twice. Vergil has three places he can teleport relative to you (grounded in front, grounded behind, and airborne in front but further above). Dante on the other hand only has the one, above and behind your location. If people are teleporting with Vergil without assist cover you can punish it easily just by catching him with a crouching low or such.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Where does Vergil's teleport decide to land? Normally I see the double crouch happening and know it's coming, and still can't react. If I try and keep Hawkeye or Cap out against Vergil, when I notice the crouches starting, could I use a trick manuver L to get back, or maybe cartwheel through it?

learn plink dashing, and just keep plink dashing forward and punish his whiffed autopilot combo

of course if he teleports in front of you this doesn't work, but you're playing online so that's not a problem
    or if he just starts combos with standing H or launcher, you can jump up and block (they're slow)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    edited July 2012
    Forgive me if this question has already been answered, but was the print run of UMVC3 relatively small? I've held off on buying it until it hits the £15 price point (due to having bought vanilla at full price on day one) but I'm wondering if Capcom are readying a "Game of the Year" edition.

At EVO Niitsuma stated they had no plans for Marvel because the team's broken up to go work on other projects. While the focus of this discussion was largely around "patches, bug-fixes, new DLC" it still stands. I don't think we'll see a GotY edition for Ultimate any time soon.
    Man, great advice. I hadnt thought of punishing with Hyper Stars and Stripes, and now I can't wait to do it. It also explains why Vergil has given me much more trouble than normal - when I used to use Morrigan, I played in the air a lot, and this squad is much more grounded.

Also - when I was at the 8th rank (Ill get back today, and get back to .500. I'm determined. 68-92 at the moment), I started running into all those DHC glitches again that we saw around Evo, that escape. Basically a guy ran Magneto/Doom/Sentinel, and got Magneto killed off.

Every time I did a hyper combo, Doom would call for Magneto, nothing would happen, I'd whiff, and then Doom would jump out again. Infuriating.

That the Kabuta escape. I think it's called that. I dunno much or how to do it but hey it's here to stay. Apparently.

Vergil's teleports are tracking: Light will always land him in front of you. Medium always behind you. Heavy always above you. These teleports can and will cross you up in the corner (Vergil can use teleport M to get behind you even if you're in the corner, while say Strange's cannot unless it's the Illusion teleport rather than his regular ones). It's not like Dante's Air Trick where it always goes above your head and behind you. My favourite ways to stuff Vergil teleports are to wait for when one will be thrown out and throw out something with a fucking huge hitbox, or run away to the air. Nemesis? Jumping H into combo. Magneto? Just airdash away laughing. Strider? Wall-cling away. Skrull? Meteor Smash right on his face. With Strange I'd probably try to option select Impact Palm/throw. Cap I'd throw out a Stars 'n' Stripes, maybe just jump away/cartwheel and use Shield Slash. Hawkeye you have the right idea of just trying to get the fuck away as fast as you can.

Oh, two more things to add about Vergil:
    1) Cannot build meter during Spiral Swords or Devil Trigger.
    2) Swords go away if he gets hit.

This is why projectile air wars work so well against him - it shuts down his offence because if he gets hit he loses his best offensive tool.

Edit: Spiral Swords themselves are considered a projectile. Therefore it's possible (although I haven't tested it) that if you see a Vergil pop Spiral Swords and follow up with a teleport (which is what a huge chunk of online Vergil players will do to try and get in on you) you could pop Seven Rings of Raggador as Strange and just beam him straight in the face. Like I said, untested, but in theory it should work.

Dunxco on
    dieminion has 7 rings'd yipes' spiral swords on reaction iirc

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    Ooooh, another good idea.

Ever since I realized how versitle Seven Rings could be, I love throwing it out there constantly. Even times it could be blocked, most people don't have any idea whats even going on and don't try.

That's right, Deadpool spammers. I'm pinned in the corner. Just keep on BANG BANG BANGING away...

• AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    I don't suppose there's any chance of me getting some MvC action on my PC, is there?

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's any chance of me getting some MvC action on my PC, is there?

Sincerely doubt it.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited July 2012
    Well, thank you gentlemen. It seems that your advice has payed off in spades, as holy fuck I don't know what happened but I was playing like a man possessed.

2012-07-23+14.17.28-3.jpg

I finally lost to a 7th Lord Vergil/Dante/Wesker. It ended up being my full team, each at about 33% with no XFC, vs. a full health, Level 3 XFC Wesker. I could have won, but my nerves were fried at the prospect of extending my win streak and I whiffed a lot of easy things I would have landed earlier.

But wow - looks like you guys have really helped me considerably!

mxmarks on
    Grats!

Going online was a big mistake.

I hate Zero so much.

For anyone who wants a watch, Kinderparty is in Maximilian's open lobby video (a couple of times in fact):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g215xfgFZ-0

edited August 2012
    The see-saw battle for 6th Lord continues, as I finally ranked up to 7th for the first time ever last night, thr proceeded to lose NINETEEN STRAIGHT. Ugh.

I battled back though later in the evening, winning a fight that would have ranked me down and staying in the 7th tier. I ended up like 298-301 total, which I'm alright with. About 20% of the bar is filled towards that 6th tier achievement.

There is no middle ground with my team. I lose to people with awful records and get destroyed. But when I'm on my game, it's untouchable. Handed a couple people their first losses even, and totally dismantled a couple 5th tiers.

In celebration of my new found love for the game, I'm redoing my fightstick FINALLY.

Here's the final design, and new buttons and balltop. Parts are ordered and I hope to be able to have it together as soon as they arrive.
    TeamStickDesign.jpg

mxmarks on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    SO

Interestingly enough the lag problems I had in Ketchikan are mostly gone in Juneau, yet I'm further away from everybody now. I don't know how that works or why that works but I'm not gonna question it. Certain combos are still kinda hookerish but now I feel I can at least do them once I adapt. The team I'm running is Taskmaster/Dormammu/Akuma and it seems my extended break from playing has done me a lot of good (getting away from my bitch of an ex and being in a MUCH better mood these days probably has something to do with it too tbh). I've also FINALLY gotten the hang of Dormammu after learning what I was doing wrong in the past and fixing it. Once I stopped thinking of him as a control character and instead of as a big fucking bully life got a lot easier.

I'm actually learning as I play, getting more solid with my hit confirms, tactics, learning matchups, etc. etc. I'm certainly not great, but save for when I get rolled by someone obviously smurfing their account, I'm at least holding my own and getting something out of it. I'll be on on a daily basis once I get home from work and would like to play you guys so that I can get better in a slightly more controlled environment.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Going online was a big mistake.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Screwing around with Cap/Dorm/Doom. Black holes and shields provide all kinds of fun, and hidden missiles are the most annoying assist ever.