As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I liked the [chat] better than the book

VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
I know it's sacrosanct to say, but there are times when the movies are better than the books. Examples:

-Sin City
-LOTR
-The Shining (because I didn't read it)
-Jackie Brown

That's all I have for now, but I'm sure there are others.

Also, that picture Chu posted is fucking creepy.

Vanguard on

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    inq's read of the chart seems more accurate than mine. even weirder.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Two Towers was kind of a bad movie.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »

yeah, was gonna ask, how did you not get that one

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    with your genes

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

Yeah, length has nothing to do with girth, that chart makes no sense.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    with your genes

are we jews known as renowned mouth rapists?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    :O

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Sin City was pretty fucking strange. I would not watch it again but I'm glad I did. It goes in the box with Reservoir Dogs and Gangs of New York, never to be removed again.

LoTR was amazing for being the best possible translation of the book onto film. One could never hope for anything better. However, it does not equal the books themselves.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I agree. I don't like the books, and I think the Fellowship is awesome.

Hopefully The Hobbit works as a movie, because it was actually a good book.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

His read of the chart was mine as well, only I refused to believe that could possibly be the case.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a good example of film > book. Not that the book is bad, it just has different focuses that don't work as well for me as the film.

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote:
    I know it's sacrosanct to say, but there are times when the movies are better than the books. Examples:

-Sin City
    -LOTR
    -Jackie Brown

The Godfather.

By like orders of magnitude apparently.

Sheep, that seems like a pretty substantial claim to be making?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

I agree. I don't like the books, and I think the Fellowship is awesome.

Hopefully The Hobbit works as a movie, because it was actually a good book.

I remember hating having to read The Hobbit in school. It just seemed to drag on and on.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Okay yeah that Hermione chart was mad gross

• Options
    Seriously, whoever put that image together is probably on a sex offender registry somewhere.

• Options
    Kasyn wrote: »
    One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a good example of film > book. Not that the book is bad, it just has different focuses that don't work as well for me as the film.

The movie is good. It doesn't lose anything that the book offers, but there are some great passages in the book that make it worth reading. LSD is one hell of a drug.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Sin City was pretty fucking strange. I would not watch it again but I'm glad I did. It goes in the box with Reservoir Dogs and Gangs of New York, never to be removed again.

LoTR was amazing for being the best possible translation of the book onto film. One could never hope for anything better. However, it does not equal the books themselves.

In SOME ways the films were better.

The Council of Elrond and the forming of the fellowship was boring as fuck in prose, and captivating on film, for instance.

I think the elevation of Faramir's importance was a wise decision; Faramir was barely a footnote in the book, but he deserved to be more.

That said, the films do have their flaws. This isn't a cut and dry issue.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    And then we watched the cartoon movie version of The Hobbit and holy crap that thing is awful.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Agree with everything but Reservoir Dogs, although since I've not watched it for years I sort of see your point

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote:

-Sin City
    -LOTR
    -Jackie Brown

The Godfather.

By like orders of magnitude apparently.

Sheep, that seems like a pretty substantial claim to be making?

This. The book is godawful, but the 2 good movies are some of the best ever. Can't even compare them.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    Cops are to be reviled. They may not have shot MY wife, but they shoot other people's wives and that's enough of a starting point for anyone I would think.

They also ensure the rule of law, which is sort of important.

As an institution take issue sure - especially in the states because damn son, but take it up with the unions not the individuals.

There are a myriad of issues with policing in the US. Some have to do with individuals, and the militarized police system does attract individuals who want power to abuse as well as those who want to 'protect and serve'. Police officers are ordered to handle with law enforcement all sorts of things that law enforcement is not apt to handle, like dealing with the mentally ill and drug addicted. One of the main reasons people distrust the police is not necessarily the 'bad apples' that are out there cracking skulls, planting evidence, and abusing their authority; it is the so-called 'good cops' who look the other way and enable this behavior, and the knowledge that police receive preferential treatment in the justice system that invalidates what might otherwise be perceived as the rule of law.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Jackie Brown was a book? I'm only familiar with the movie, which was pretty enjoyable.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

The movie is good. It doesn't lose anything that the book offers, but there are some great passages in the book that make it worth reading. LSD is one hell of a drug.

It does lose some things, just not anything I really miss. Book's a lot heavier on the racial tones and the gender/authority dynamics.

Oh! The Color Purple is moderately better as a film, too.

• Options
    $2300 hot dog
    So what dog do you get for your dough? Well, the chef starts with a foot long dog "made of richly marbled wagyu beef dry aged for 60 days by DeBragga" and lace it with black truffles. Then they put it on a brioche bun toasted with white truffle butter and slathered with organic W Ketchup that has been "seasoned with saffron to make it even more precious" as well as with Mustarde de Charroux imported from France. And that's not all! "The accoutrements continue with Vidalia onions caramelized in Dom Perignon Champagne and 100 year old balsamic vinegar" not to mention "house made organic sauerkraut braised in Louis Roederer Cristal and inflected with rare platinum oscetra caviar" and THEN, the dog is topped with house made relish from Gordy’s Pickle Jar. Oh, and some gold leaf for good measure.

http://gothamist.com/2012/07/23/2300_hot_dog_is_absurd_real.php

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    51ZhU.gif

inside the spoiler is a gif of an IED exploding in the distance

the size of the explosion is pretty amazing, as is the shockwave over dusty ground

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So

How to Make It In America is pretty boss

• Options
    $2300 hot dog
    So what dog do you get for your dough? Well, the chef starts with a foot long dog "made of richly marbled wagyu beef dry aged for 60 days by DeBragga" and lace it with black truffles. Then they put it on a brioche bun toasted with white truffle butter and slathered with organic W Ketchup that has been "seasoned with saffron to make it even more precious" as well as with Mustarde de Charroux imported from France. And that's not all! "The accoutrements continue with Vidalia onions caramelized in Dom Perignon Champagne and 100 year old balsamic vinegar" not to mention "house made organic sauerkraut braised in Louis Roederer Cristal and inflected with rare platinum oscetra caviar" and THEN, the dog is topped with house made relish from Gordy’s Pickle Jar. Oh, and some gold leaf for good measure.

That sounds pretty gross. I'll take a Nathan's for a buck any day.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    So

it's that show about these guys who want to make and sell t-shirts, right?

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    So

I really liked the first episode although I never followed up on it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    So

it's that show about these guys who want to make and sell t-shirts, right?

Pretty much

• Options
    51ZhU.gif

the size of the explosion is pretty amazing, as is the shockwave over dusty ground

That was a truck bomb. The large truck cuts off a Humvee then detonates.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    the book version of the lotr movies is so insanely boring

why did they even write the books when the movies were clearly better

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    $2300 hot dog

The thought of buying one, holding it up, and then just slathering it with Heinz ketchup fills me with mirth.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    $2300 hot dog

The thought of buying one, holding it up, and then just slathering it with Heinz ketchup fills me with mirth.

I like that you have to give them 48 hours notice in order to make it.

It's a fucking hot dog.

• Options
    51ZhU.gif

Jee zus

• Options
    Holy shit, that 'splosion

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »

We had to read almost all of those books in 5th grade. I was bored out of my tiny little mind, and basically faked my way through all the assignments.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Sooooo, Olympic related work absenteeism has begun! I wonder how long it will take for the media to start talking about the issue

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

We had to read almost all of those books in 5th grade. I was bored out of my tiny little mind, and basically faked my way through all the assignments.

that is so dumb

they should have just let you watch the movies instead

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

5th.... grade?

I mean, I read them when I was young, but I sure as shit didn't "get" them until a few years later. Your school was weird.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
This discussion has been closed.