As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Beginning of the [chat]

surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloveddreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
a beautiful creature stood before me

KJc3B.jpg

GREETINGS HANDSOME YOUNG MAN it spewed at me through spittle-flecked lips

I AM JACOB, AND I CARRY WITH ME MIGHTY OBJECTS THREE

i ran away

obF2Wuw.png
surrealitycheck on

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I heard that about the Italians too Abd.

But I also heard they were nice people, so you know. I don't trust everything I hear about Italians anymore.

Lawl jk

PSN: Honkalot
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I

what

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    e: Nevermind I see. Yeah, that's dawwwww.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Having lived at home (due to having difficulty finding a full time permanent jerb) for a few years it isn't really all that horrible, though it is less than ideal. And I can definitely see that depending on circumstance. I'm the youngest, so my parents would otherwise be empty nesters rather than me being in the middle of a still very active household; I have a girlfriend in the city so I spend most of the non-work time up with her anyway; and I do help out some around the house so it's not like I'm just sitting in the basement eating cheetos and they realize that I'm actively trying to get on my own. That said, I really am looking forward to getting a place of my own.

If anything, though, I'd say it would be worth it to move back in for half a year or so. You can pocket some massive savings and be able to find a nice apartment without having a drop dead date hanging over your head and influencing your opinions. Pick a nice neighborhood and then wait for a deal rather than taking what you can find since you have to rent the u-haul anyway. Plus that way you can decide start your lease in the early spring/late fall so you don't have to worry about blizzards or heat waves when you move all your crap. Plus you can still have a social life, just not one that involves going back to your place. Which is kind of annoying and sucks, but if you are doing this by choice then knowing you only have to deal with it for 5-7 months really isn't that big a deal. Especially when you look at your savings account.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i think whether it makes sense to stay with family for a bit depends on how terrible you find the experience of living with your family.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i think whether it makes sense to stay with family for a bit depends on how terrible you find the experience of living with your family.

this is, really, all that matters.

ftOqU21.png
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Yeah.

Some people think there is a virtue to being independent and moving out.

I think there is a virtue to doing a cost / benefit analysis.

like if you have reasonable parents and you can have your own room with some privacy and there's a fair, pleasant breakdown of household responsibilities... then ok, cool.

but like my situation? sleeping on a couch in the living room where i'm constantly unsure of what's expected of me and always listening to shitty disputes? fuuuuuck that. i am gone as soon as i can swing it. it'd be nice to put away 5 figure savings by the time i'm 30 but i value my sanity more than that.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    "reasonable" parents
    military "intelligence"
    creation "science"
    low calorie "ice cream"

like if you have reasonable parents and you can have your own room with some privacy and there's a fair, pleasant breakdown of household responsibilities... then ok, cool.

but like my situation? sleeping on a couch in the living room where i'm constantly unsure of what's expected of me and always listening to shitty disputes? fuuuuuck that. i am gone as soon as i can swing it. it'd be nice to put away 5 figure savings by the time i'm 30 but i value my sanity more than that.

I had my own room, the basement, and my parents didn't care if I came home and played WoW / drank so long as I was able to get up for work in the morning.

So, yeah, I was quite reluctant to move on from that.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    my parents are reasonable!

sig.gif
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I get along great with my dad. But I would sooner serve a tour in Afganistan than live with my mother. About one phone call per 3 months is more than I can stand already.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited July 2012
    i know this depends hugely on the quality of the text

but did any of you dudes in technical fields find that it was worthy to keep your books after a class' conclusion? or was it basically fuck dat

apparently my school offers the option to 'rent' textbooks at a decent discount (i.e. cheaper than buying used + getting whatever paltry price the bookstore offers if you resell)

@powerpuppies
    @donkey kong
    @senjutsu
    @premier kakos
    @solomaxwell6

Organichu on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    man never get a goddamn concussion

this shit blows

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    textbooks are basically useless in every instance

possible exceptions might be biochemistry primers which are quite handy

but if i want to know something i just find papers

the amount of high quality lecture material you can find on intertubes too is pretty amazing these days

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    @Organichu: Depends on the text. I got rid of my stupid "introduction to programming" shit, but I kept things like my advanced data structures and compiler technology book (which was actually just the Dragon book used as a text book, so that was awesome).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    the number of computer science books worth keeping is very small

i had none of those books as textbooks for my courses

i have some books now i will probably keep around, maybe reread occasionally

sig.gif
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    i have too many books nuuuu

y2jake215 wrote: »
    man never get a goddamn concussion

this shit blows

I'll go ahead and add that to my list of things to not do.

skippy

are you out of control

sig.gif
    skippy

are you out of control

play the best song in the world

or i'll eat your soul

*shines*

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I missed something. Why is PA going to jail according to that thread?

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    There was a chocolate and equipment demonstration down at the French Pastry School in Chicago today. My boss let a bunch of us take off work and go down with him. He pays for our train tickets down there. It was sort of a bust, not so much a "demonstration" as it was a sales pitch. So instead we went across the street and got Giordano's. 4 large pizzas and 8 pitchers of beer later (that's 8 pitchers for the ten of us), he grabs the check and pays. Then he pays for all our train tickets back to the bakery. While we were eating someone said we should try to figure out how to do a company outing to a White Sox games. My boss goes "August 20th, we're doing it."

Commence being jealous.

nibXTE7.png
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Programming-Comprehensive-Version-Edition/dp/0132936526/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

this is my programming textbook BUT i think it's also used in the programming 2 course in the spring. i figure i can maybe rent it the first semester for whatever, 60 or 70 bucks? then photocopy the rest in anticipation of the 2nd semester.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    if you're going to photocopy it illegally anyway, just borrow it from the library

aRkpc.gif
    Or tell your professor to realize he's teaching poor college students, and to use one of the hundreds of 40 dollar Java books that will have all the same shit...

Or your idea is good.

Henroid wrote: »

I do not understand the title either.

ronya wrote: »
    if you're going to photocopy it illegally anyway, just borrow it from the library

well yeah that was gonna be my first move if they have it available

i dunno yet if they will

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Henroid wrote: »

They're not. Some dude was trying to have a discussion about the legal system based on his experiences, but the OP read more like an H/A thread about his crazy-ass ex-wife. It's a shitty situation (from his side), but posting about pending legal matters on a public forum is really dumb.

a5ehren on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    It was about a dude going to jail and he was telling leadup stuff and life in jail. Kind of a PA Tour thing going on.

skippy

are you out of control

play the best song in the world

or i'll eat your soul

i will play it

but i will not commit it to memory

later i may or may not play a different song

in a tribute

to the best song in the world

sig.gif
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

well yeah that was gonna be my first move if they have it available

i dunno yet if they will

In my experience they'll usually have pretty much every book used in a course but you have to hustle yo buns to be the one to actually check it out

I don't think I ever managed to actually get one

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    chu pirating knowledge

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    iHFPD.png

The snap heard round the world.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.