As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chik-fil-GAY ... an honest discussion of homosexuality and the perils therein*

nevilleneville The Worst Gay(Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Social Entropy++
* Note: Perils mostly apply to fabulousness and/or glitter count per square inch.

Chik-fil-a President Dan Cathy (son of the founder) enraged the internet with his recent comments that his company only supports "traditional" marriage (which includes not just homosexual marriage as being unsupported, but people who have been divorced and/or remarried.)

People on both sides of the argument are getting involved: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/24/muppets-huckabee-take-sides-in-chick-fil-a-same-sex-marriage-controversy/
The Jim Henson Company pulled their support from the company, while blowhard... whoops I mean former presidential candidate... Mike Huckabee tries to organize support for the company with a "Chik-fil-a" day on August 1.

I for one support Huckabee's plan. My question is where do we go to support the companies which are anti women's suffrage?
And what about the non-whites? Should we look for an old timey restaurant and/or soda bar or are there designed places to send our money to for that (besides the hilariously named "Focus on the Family", that is)? ...

In a related note, my family has come out strongly against me for taking such a terrible stand as daring to have principles and tell bigots to fuck off.

So which is it, SE++?
EAT MOR CHIKIN?

or...

tumblr_m7oa1jCNuV1r1b9aso1_500.jpg

nevillexmassig1.png
neville on

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I once got a sandwich at a Chik-Fil-A last year before I ever heard of their political leanings.

I don't see what the big deal about those sandwiches are. It was pretty average.

BLM - ACAB
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Three cheers for cock!

Hip hip hoorapmmmph

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I stopped eating there and I know quite a few people who've done the same

Of course, as far as enormous conglomerates go, Disney is definitely one of the most gay-friendly.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    really like their spicy chicken sandwich

the rest... would rather eat microwaved chicken from a grocery store

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I don't know whether this is real so I'll just contribute it to the discussion without doing any diligence whatsoever:

JsyMN.jpg

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I posted this in the D&D LGBT thread:

558300_509428692416526_72528055_n.jpg

That is a note they posted on one of their doors, talking about why they no longer have Muppets toys. They are lying to their customers by doing this. CFA didn't drop Jim Henson's company. Jim Henson's company came out as pro-gay and dropped CFA because of their bigoted stance.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    This happened as a result of the muppets splitting off from CFA (stolen from the dnd thread courtesy of @Sweeny Tom)

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

Of course, as far as enormous conglomerates go, Disney is definitely one of the most gay-friendly.

Yeah, although they still aren't super gay friendly compared to some.
    I.e. They have never directly endorsed gay events, whereas Oreo, Nabisco, and a bunch of other companies have.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/28/oreo-backlash-companies-anti-gay-boycott_n_1634767.html

nevillexmassig1.png
    Hahahahaha wow all three of us had the same idea, nice.

I just love that little sign so much

2x39jD4.jpg
  • ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    Chik-fil-a was the only decent restaurant in our college's student union, but I stopped eating there when students were protesting it and made me aware of its donations to anti-gay groups. that was...probably three years ago. can't say I miss it.

The picture IS real; http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/chick-fil-a-jim-henson-toy-recall-gay_n_1699597.html

Althpigh @Druhim pointed out it may be a coincidence of the dropping of Chik-fil-a by the Jim Henson Company & Chik-fil-a dropping the toys.

nevillexmassig1.png
    neville wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

Yeah, although they still aren't super gay friendly compared to some.
    I.e. They have never directly endorsed gay events, whereas Oreo, Nabisco, and a bunch of other companies have.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/28/oreo-backlash-companies-anti-gay-boycott_n_1634767.html

Don't forget Google's Legalize Love! campaign.

damn it, neville, I thought I might get the hat-trick there

That is a note they posted on one of their doors, talking about why they no longer have Muppets toys. They are lying to their customers by doing this. CFA didn't drop Jim Henson's company. Jim Henson's company came out as pro-gay and dropped CFA because of their bigoted stance.

Also the first time I read it, I thought you said they dropped CFA because of their bigoted sauce and I giggled.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    so i've heard that chik-fil-a is lying about why they no longer carry muppet toys

yeah speed here lemme show you this picture of a sign in a chik-fil-a restaurant

2x39jD4.jpg

Also the first time I read it, I thought you said they dropped CFA because of their bigoted sauce and I giggled.

That's true too. Their sauce only gives non-straights indigestion.

But yeah I left work an hour and a half early because my mom called and left a furious voicemail about how her friends were calling her about the "hateful" comments I was leaving on Chik-fil-a's facebook.
    I might've let it drop, but then she said I needed to keep my "lifestyle to myself."
    And of course I call her back like she asks and she doesn't answer.

meeehhhhhh

nevillexmassig1.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I don't know why people are surprised that a company that shuts down all of its location on Sundays for explicitly religious reasons is against gay marriage. Next thing you know, people will be all shocked when Hobby Lobby (who closes on Sundays for the same reasons) says the same thing.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    so i've heard that chik-fil-a is lying about why they no longer carry muppet toys

hey I have a picture about that!

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    jim henson's company fucking rules is what i'm taking away from this

it's kinda surprising how not-surprised i am by learning this

a company created and run by people who are all about reaching people, no matter who they are, is gay-friendly?

you don't say

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    neville something is wrong with the OP

the second sentence just kind of cuts off

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    I like their sandwiches

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    There are few things I ever take a hard line stance on. I have heard arguments about other social issues on both sides that have had merit.

But anti-LGBTQA (apologies if I missed any letters) is just so fucking abhorrent and disgusting to me. There is not a single goddamned logical reason for any of it. Not a bit.

BLM - ACAB
    I want to remind everyone that no matter what Nabisco decided to do or say about gay rights, you shouldn't eat anything they sell.

not for any political reason

but because their food is all fucking awful for you

But yeah I left work an hour and a half early because my mom called and left a furious voicemail about how her friends were calling her about the "hateful" comments I was leaving on Chik-fil-a's facebook.
    I might've let it drop, but then she said I needed to keep my "lifestyle to myself."

meeehhhhhh

I'm sorry, man. Hugs for you.

BLM - ACAB
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

No no, the bigoted sauces goes on the Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I don't know whether this is real so I'll just contribute it to the discussion without doing any diligence whatsoever:

JsyMN.jpg

christ

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    What did the guy come out and say this time? Nevs, you know my stance here. Fuck these guys. Not agreeing with something is ok, but making it such a big part of your company's ideals is stupid. Like I said on Facebook earlier its a lot like their whole religious thing. As much as I like the food, I'll just eat a salad instead.
    Much love to all the LBGT from the forums.

meeehhhhhh

gimme her number, i'll call her and fart into the phone really hard

meeehhhhhh

Don't let them get you down, friend.

Also, tell them to keep their straight lifestyles to themselves. Just for the looks on their faces.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I know people who are so conflicted about this because they have super love for Chik-fil-a

Down here, they make good stuff and their service is always stellar

So I told my friends, if they must eat there because hurf durf but they don't like the anti-gay stuff, donate an equal amount of money to the pro-gay charity of their choice as well to even things out

Does this sound reasonable

• IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    This is a quote from that thing Neville just linked

""Kraft foods and Oreo cookies have decided to toss the morals that formed our great nation right out the window and literally toss them right down our throat! "

and I find it hilarious.

Going to go toss some oreos down my throat right now.

xet8c.gif
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I know people who are so conflicted about this because they have super love for Chik-fil-a

So I told my friends, if they must eat there because hurf durf but they don't like the anti-gay stuff, donate an equal amount of money to the pro-gay charity of their choice as well to even things out

I'd say so, if they're really worried about it.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    neville wrote:
    In a related note, my family has come out strongly against me for taking such a terrible stand as daring to have principles and tell bigots to fuck off.

Man, that sucks and I feel for you. Though not nearly at the same level I know a bit of what this is like. As I am sure you can imagine I grew up in a relatively conservative (also Catholic) household and it's not uncommon that I butt heads with my old man and now also the step mom on social issues.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist

yep

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    I once got a sandwich at a Chik-Fil-A last year before I ever heard of their political leanings.

I don't see what the big deal about those sandwiches are. It was pretty average.

Once again, the Geek is the voice of reason.

Although I think he was being generous with the "average" vote.

edited July 2012

Yes.

Also show them this link. It's a copycat recipe for one of their sandwiches, and they can make it themselves so it has all the taste with none of the bigotry!

Sweeney Tom on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    YESSSSSS

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
This discussion has been closed.