As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] OLD THREAD LEAVE GO BYE SEE YA

The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology

cerberuslogo.png

unledpev.png
Mass Effect Wiki - Suicide Mission Guide (ME2) - Import Saves (ME1/2 PC & XBOX ONLY) -
Face Codes (ME2)

300pxme3logo.png
Earth is burning. Striking from beyond known space, a race of terrifying machines have begun their destruction of the human race. As Commander Shepard, an Alliance Marine, your only hope for saving mankind is to rally the civilizations of the galaxy and launch one final mission to take back the Earth. Available Everywhere NOW.

List of Origin/XBL/PSN names here! (Join here!)

Join the Steam group!

Xbox Metatag = PennyA ME3

ME3 Pre-Release Videos
Normandy Tour 2 - Normandy Tour - Hijacking an Atlas - Palaven Gameplay - Live Action Trailer - Mars Gameplay - Galaxy Map - CG Trailer - FemShep Trailer - Ruthless and Intelligent Enemies - Adrenaline-Pumping Gameplay - Integrated Storytelling - Customizable Arsenal - Voice Cast - Multiplayer Trailer - James Vega - Tuchanka Gameplay - Squad Leader Gameplay - E3 Trailer - Earth Demo - Sur'Kesh Demo - Reaper Base Demo - Kinect Demo

More Mass Effect

Games!
200pxmasseffectoriginal.jpg masseffectgalaxylogo.jpg
200pxfinalboxartme2.jpg

Comics!
180pxmasseffectredempti.jpg 180pxmasseffectevolutio.png 180pxmasseffectinvasion.jpg 73322203.png
200pxme2aria.png 43458948.png vegat.png

Books!
230pxmerevelation.jpg 190pxmeascension.jpg 190pxmeretributioncover.jpg 190pxmasseffectdeceptio.png

A motion picture! + An anime!

Community Sundries

@TychoCelchuuu has been kind enough to provide peeks at Commander Shepard's facebook page:
one |two| three | FOUR! | FIVE!!

@GoodKingJayIII provided the following way to skip much of the introduction for the PC version of ME2:
A lot of people don't like the opening 10 minute intro movie, but there is a way to get rid of it. Go to:

C:....mass effect 2\BioGameMovies

Change the extension of the following files to .bak:

Opening_End_Seq.bik

Opening_End_SeqFM.bik

Opening_Seq_INT.bik

ProCer_300_FirstFlight.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_INT.bak

ProNor_Pod2.bik

ProNorEscape.bik

ProNorEscapeAsh.bik

ProNorEscapeKaid.bik

ME2_Opening_SunMid_ESN.bik

ME_EAsig_720p_v2_raw.bak

BWLogo.bak

ProNor_Shepard_Rebuilt.bik

This will not get rid of everything, you still have to watch the non-CGI cutscenes and Save Joker. But it does cut down quite a bit. If you want those movies back just rename them to .bik again. If you're worried your renaming the wrong thing, you can download a BIK palyer and confirm the files.

3. For those who hate planet scanning and hacking, there is an easy ini file edit floating around. This is just a colaseced editor that you guys have already been playing with but this one seemed pretty idiot proof to me. This again needs an external program but is non-excutable.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yjjzlzzzmyj

This has all kinds of stuff like god mode, extra weapons, infinite ammo etc., but if you just want the money, just use it to get your resources, save, then exit the game and revert to the non-hacked state.

@korodullin has kindly offered some R&R with a wonderful game of bingo!

bingofinalv2.jpg

@Spoit has a far more simple variation:
me2bingo.jpg

@curly haired boy strikes back with awesome wallpapers taken from the ME2:
@Orca has kindly complied all of the shamelessly awful pictures posted in this thread.

@Orca explains how to transfer ME1 to Origin:
From the other thread, enter your info here: https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

then create or link an existing EA classic account. Origin should figure out what's up without you doing anything more at that point.

*If buying ME somewhere other than Origin and it doesn't contain BDTS or PS, contact Origin CS and they can get it fixed for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG2mdZ23eP8
-Tal wrote: »

Massive. End. Spoilers. DO NOT CLICK. SERIOUSLY.

From @Yougottawanna a Brilliant dissection as to why the ending is so bad in Red Letter Media Style:
And a followup:
From @manwiththemachinegun SECRET TRUE ENDING HHEYYYYAAA!!!!!

True Last Boss!

Bioware Blog Where official announcements about pending Multiplayer weekend events are made.
MP Build Simulator
Mass Effect 3 MP Weapon Data
Mass Effect 3 MP Wave Composition Chart
For a list of your obtained equipment and their respective levels, check your Bioware Social account. Go to "My Games" and click Mass Effect 3 in the pop-up box and then choose Multiplayer Manifest.

Special thanks to @-Tal for putting together an awesome OP.
The OP has been stolen so many fucking times. We're gonna fill up the OP with credits. :D
OP Shamelessly stolen from @forar who stole it from @The Dude With Herpes who stole it from @jdarksun who stole it from @forar who stole it from @jdarksun who stole it from @-Tal
Taramoor wrote: »
The following was posted by a BioWare mod as an apology for the online pass issue, which they're working on.
tumblr_m28k0axzRD1rq5i6do1_500.jpg
830pxinterrupticons.png
And last, but certainly not least: The TRUE Hero of Mass Effect
u8BWP.gif

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The Dude With Herpes on

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Quads.

Also I hate everyone who has a Destroyer and a Typhoon.

Thank you.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I will DESTROY you!

steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Typhoons everywhere!

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Man, I feel cheated. The last two premium packs I bought only had two rares each. The two before that had three!

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Typhoons everywhere!
    ... I wish :(

steam_sig.png
  • TheConstantWayTheConstantWay Registered User regular
    Typhoon II, Piranha VI, and Acolyte II. A sole demolisher.

And 4 post-nerf Krysae upgrades. Damn it, it took me over a month just to get my Krysae I!

Also, chalk one more in the "holyshitpiranhasongethinfiltratorsarebananas" club. It's not the best for dealing with phantoms, but I carry around my Scorpion II for that. I'm really liking how the Scorpion complements the Piranha. It's a nice, tactical gun that gives you control over the fight. Moar upgrades please!

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Gonna have to try the Falcon and the Saber on my Destroyer. Both of those guns would be much enhanced by increased ROF.

But man

THe most horse shit part of Cerberus Gold is when a spawn shits out five Phantoms at the same time. If your whole team isn't there together - sometimes even if they are - there's nothing you can really do about that horse shit, short of a missile drop.

dN0T6ur.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    It's my night off and I work graveyard shift... Someone help me kill stuff

newSig.jpg
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Gonna have to try the Falcon and the Saber on my Destroyer. Both of those guns would be much enhanced by increased ROF.

But man

THe most horse shit part of Cerberus Gold is when a spawn shits out five Phantoms at the same time. If your whole team isn't there together - sometimes even if they are - there's nothing you can really do about that horse shit, short of a missile drop.
    brutes could execute you before; they had a thing where they'd grab you and like, choke you I guess

it seems like they prefer to just use their regular melee attacks though; plus you aren't in melee with them that often

Needs more batarian.

Edit: Classes I want most right now are Shadow and Paladin, though I'd settle for a Slayer. I also wouldn't be offended by a salarian or geth. Or Justicar.

PLA on
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

But man

brutes could execute you before; they had a thing where they'd grab you and like, choke you I guess

it seems like they prefer to just use their regular melee attacks though; plus you aren't in melee with them that often

I saw a brute execute someone ONCE in all of mass effect and that was on palaven where it just grabbed James and slammed him into the floor.

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
    Hah, didn't quite realise I could smash at the back wall of the Smash-room and hit things down there.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Botznoy wrote: »

But man

I saw a brute execute someone ONCE in all of mass effect and that was on palaven where it just grabbed James and slammed him into the floor.

That's their sync kill. I've seen it happen to kroguards a lot. And I've had it happen to my poor Quarian Engy. She just never gets a break.

Atlases used to slam their fist into you while you were down, I think. I guess brutes will do something similar?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I got killed trying to draw enemies away from the extraction-zone instead of defending it with the rest. Dumb or not?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I got killed trying to draw enemies away from the extraction-zone instead of defending it with the rest. Dumb or not?

As long as you get your arse back there before the end so they get full extraction, I don't see an issue.

G&T, please weigh in.

• Oedipus_RexOedipus_Rex We aren't.. related right?Registered User regular
    Why does everyone have typhoons? I want a typhoon RNG gods!!

steam_sig.png
  • DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

As long as you get your arse back there before the end so they get full extraction, I don't see an issue.

G&T, please weigh in.

I'd say not dumb, but unless you made your intentions clear via voice chat, your team probably thought you were one of those glory hounds obsessed with topping the scoreboard.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    staying in the LZ in most maps is suicidal

don't be suicidal

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited July 2012
    Dangerbird wrote: »

G&T, please weigh in.

I'd say not dumb, but unless you made your intentions clear via voice chat, your team probably thought you were one of those glory hounds obsessed with topping the scoreboard.

I never make my intentions clear via voice-chat, but I never try to get back with less than thirty seconds left. Usually I dart as soon as I see "40".

Edit: No classes, but Mattock I and Striker III.

PLA on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    staying in the LZ in most maps is suicidal

don't be suicidal

That's pretty much it.

Hack objectives can wipe even very good teams on Gold or Platinum. The extraction circle is pretty much the same size as the hack circle. So unless you want to get wiped I'd advise you to get the hell out of there and spread out.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    But it feels so much more epic to hold the line while waiting for the transport shuttle!

• ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    I wish voice worked on PC. Damn Bioware's lack of mic support.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I wish voice worked on PC. Damn Bioware's lack of mic support.

....it does work on PC.

also

pubbies who queue for GWG while not knowing how the fuck to do it are the worst

i mean, if i'm doing U/U/G with my kroguard i won't leave, but still, they could at least contribute

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Destroyer with all customization upgrades
    Piranha X
    Typhoon I (meh)
    Warfighter V

Awwww yeah.

• AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    They're saying on Twitter that there will be an operation this weekend, and that they'll post more info today. I wonder if they're dumb enough to make it require an extraction on Platinum.

Achire on

G&T, please weigh in.

Depends on the map and how far away you go. Killing the people in the extract zone because you've forced mobs to spawn in a position that flanks them isn't a good thing. In some cases this even means that mobs can spawn practically on top of other players, particularly in maps where they jetpack up the sides like White and Giant.

Players with weaker weapons should stick together or pair off or something to support themselves.

edited July 2012
    Achire wrote: »
    They're saying on Twitter that there will be an operation this weekend, and that they'll post more info today. I wonder if they're dumb enough to make it require an extraction on Platinum.

Full Extraction on Platinum.

No Medi-Gels, Survival Packs, Missiles, or Thermal Packs.

Final Destination.

10 million times.

[edit] But if you do it, you can have 6 Medi-Gels instead of 5!

milk ducks on
    edited July 2012
    Seven billion extractions.

G&T, please weigh in.

Depends on the map and how far away you go. Killing the people in the extract zone because you've forced mobs to spawn in a position that flanks them isn't a good thing. In some cases this even means that mobs can spawn practically on top of other players, particularly in maps where they jetpack up the sides like White and Giant.

Players with weaker weapons should stick together or pair off or something to support themselves.

It was Glacier, far end of the lab.

PLA on
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    I've been playing Gold a lot more recently (and getting instakilled with horrifying regularity), and I have a silly question: Does full extraction actually do anything besides bonus XP? It doesn't give more credits, does it?

All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    TheScruple wrote: »
    I've been playing Gold a lot more recently (and getting instakilled with horrifying regularity), and I have a silly question: Does full extraction actually do anything besides bonus XP? It doesn't give more credits, does it?

Correct. After you get your credit award at the end of wave 10 feel free to wipe; you've earned your dough. If you're looking for XP though, yes, you get a bonus based on full/partial extraction.

Also event weekends usually require extractions of some sort in order to "count".

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The one time in my life I hope they delay the operation a week. :]

Extractions only give additional XP; credit gains stop after you complete the Wave 10 objective. Since most players are 20 when they're playing Gold, there's really no point to sticking around for the Wave 11 extraction, in my opinion. As soon as I complete the objective on Wave 10, most of the time, I just run out and get myself killed. If the team wants to stick it out for the extraction, I'm fine with that, but I flatly refuse to use consumables after the final objective's finished. Especially if I'm already level 20.

edited July 2012

Eh, I would strongly advise trying to get the extraction since it seems to occur as an event often.

Dicking around during extraction only adds to the expectation of the worst during that time. Not saying you should go balls out missile spamming medigel overtime or what have you, but just get a feel for doing it.

tastydonuts on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I pity everyone who's gotten the Eagle more than one time so far.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    Ok, that's what I figured. I try not to go overboard, but 2 of the last 3 rounds I played I got magnet-handed by banshees on the extraction wave and felt a bit guilty for it.

All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
    Ok, that's what I figured. I try not to go overboard, but 2 of the last 3 rounds I played I got magnet-handed by banshees on the extraction wave and felt a bit guilty for it.

Well, that's gonna happen during an event as well. A few matches that I was in people got bansheed while playing proper, but it was just out of their control.

Getting dropped because you're lone wolfing well beyond the other players support range or because you want to just AFK because who cares about extraction on the other hand... is within your control. But you really need to be aware of this now because executes are in play on gold.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

Just complete the objective on wave 10 for full cash and credits. Finishing wave 10 and extraction is just for xp which is pointless.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

My Eagle III and Crusader IV hate you.

• eahenryiieahenryii Registered User regular
    So, regarding packs. It seems that you're going to get most gear from buying vet packs. Do I have that right? The gold gear drops from Spectre packs, but everything else should come from Vets? That's what the wikis seem to suggest, but I don't feel like I've had great luck that way.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the advice in the old thread, @Wyborn and @Dragkonias. I went with Striker/Crusader today and the results were solid.

So, just to be clear: I want to be buying Recruit Packs until I max out the common mods, and then go up to Veteran Packs?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

My Eagle III and Crusader IV hate you.

Whats wrong with the Crusader?

Also Eagle V here.

At this point I don't even mind getting it; let it get to X so I never see it in a pack again.