As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Introduceing Bryan King

• Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    NeoKing wrote: »
    Wow, my avatar has changed. Very pro-high-larious.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    No, no. Thank YOU for your input.

Sheesh.

Lly on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    are you going to address anything other than by saying thanks for your input

Tube on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    hahahaha tube hahaha

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I love when Tube and Jim come and visit our humble stomping grounds!

• NeoKingNeoKing Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I apologize but I am not going to go negative. I really do appreciate all the input. If someone tries to make me loose my temper it isn't going to work. When I end the conversation with Thank you for your input I mean it.
    Thank you for your time.8-)

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007

i'm here most of the time

i just only post stuff in the doodle thread

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2007
    I apologize but I am not going to go negative. I really do appreciate all the input. If someone tries to make me loose my temper it isn't going to work. When I end the conversation with Thank you for your input I mean it.

I'm not trying to make you lose your temper, I'm interested in your response to my criticism

Tube on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hah, do I detect the hand of Tube at work?

SpongeCake on
    edited July 2007

i'm here most of the time

i just only post stuff in the doodle thread
    And I don't post nearly enough in there...

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jesús, that avatar is like he's smuggling croisants!

MagicToaster on
    edited July 2007
    Personally this thread has been a great experience in grounding myself.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    You should be happy that you have the widest avatar on the forums!

bombardier on
    edited July 2007

I'm not trying to make you lose your temper, I'm interested in your response to my criticism

Sorry for the late response I was at a party. Usually I would have just taken it to heart but since you asked me to respond. The muscles are dramatic effect for the ribs, and the light source is off to show the unnatural state of the masked man. Manet used the same technique in A Bar at the Folies-Bergère http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bar_at_the_Folies-Berg%C3%A8re

But he used it mainly to depict time. Unfortunate the world at large wasn't ready for such techniques and his brilliance wasn't realized until much later. I am thankful of your input and hope my link will help you to gain a better understanding of higher art forms.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    That's the second time we've seen that painting in what, a week's time?

• JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, I bet in one hundred years people will praise you as the god of modern comics, the problem isn't with your comics, but rather that the we are not yet ready for such brilliance.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    I am thankful of your input and hope my link will help you to gain a better understanding of higher art forms.

Seriously though I'm going to just come out and say it, if you're going to tip-toe around being a condescending prat everytime folks try to point out what is and isn't working in your comic, then there really is no point for you to stick around.

Nobody really cares what your background is, they only care what you're presenting to them now.

edited July 2007
    hahaha neoking you're not even close to fuckin' manet

Orikaeshigitae on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Nobody really cares what your background is, they only care what you're presenting to them now.

Exactly- if you're trying to sell a comic are you going to have the cover be a paragraph of how hard you've studied art? No. Art speaks for itself, and that's why if you actually listen to the advice that you've been getting, you and your art will be much better in the long run.

lyrium on
    edited July 2007
    hahaha neoking you're not even close to fuckin' manet

Very true.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    'muscles are dramatic effect for the ribs' doesn't even make sense

just brush up on your anatomy and lighting, dude

it'd probably take less effort than comparing yourself to manet

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2007
    Unfortunate the world at large wasn't ready for such techniques and his brilliance wasn't realized until much later. I am thankful of your input and hope my link will help you to gain a better understanding of higher art forms.

Thank you for your thunderingly patronising response. Higher art forms typically do not involve females with breasts larger than their heads.

Tube on
    edited July 2007
    also manet didn't use it to depict time

where the hell did you get that idea

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited July 2007
    I mean here's the thing dude, and this isn't meant to piss you off or sound mean, this is just how creative endeavours work.

You are not Manet.

You are not even nearly that good. You're good, better than me that's for sure, but you're not world standard, or professional standard. You shouldn't be answering criticism by comparing yourself to the great masters. It's ridiculous. Whilst you might look at that panel and think "aah, I'm using the lighting to emphasise his otherworldliness as in A Bar at the Folies-Bergère by manet", I guarentee you that not a single reader of your comic is thinking that.

You're leaping to the defensive. NO. WRONG. You need to look at your work critically and be prepared to admit that it isn't faultless.

Re: the muscles, "dramatic effect" doesn't cut it as an excuse, because the human body does not have muscles there. I'm all for unrealistically rippling abs or big superman pecs or whatever, but just throwing new muscles onto a character who is allegedly human is a rookie error. Study anatomy. Hard.

Don't start messing around with "high art" concepts until your basics are solid. They aren't. You're getting there, but you are way ahead of yourself and far too big for your boots.

Tube on
    edited July 2007
    lyrium wrote: »

Exactly- if you're trying to sell a comic are you going to have the cover be a paragraph of how hard you've studied art? No. Art speaks for itself, and that's why if you actually listen to the advice that you've been getting, you and your art will be much better in the long run.

You are correct. I brought up my background as an argument for credential validity for my opinions not my art. Funny thing is the only opinions I had had at that time were positive. The argument on if I was wrong or not for preferring to see artwork from someone thats critiquing me is what caused all the negative feedback, which I think is great. I wont learn anything from complements. Now I have been nothing but nice and helpful but people choose to see it as condescending. I feel they are entitled to their opinion and so I won't begrudge them that at all. Truth be told I am being judged by most on my opinion and very little on my art. But thats ok to. I forgive anyone that was inadvertently hurt by my viewpoints and feels the need to lash out. Also to the posters that are giving an unbiased opinion I thank you very much.
    I'm about to crash for the night.
    Later my friends.
    Bryan King

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    I mean here's the thing dude, and this isn't meant to piss you off or sound mean, this is just how creative endeavours work.

You are not Manet.

You are not even nearly that good. You're good, better than me that's for sure, but you're not world standard, or professional standard. You shouldn't be answering criticism by comparing yourself to the great masters. It's ridiculous. Whilst you might look at that panel and think "aah, I'm using the lighting to emphasise his otherworldliness as in A Bar at the Folies-Bergère by manet", I guarentee you that not a single reader of your comic is thinking that.

You're leaping to the defensive. NO. WRONG. You need to look at your work critically and be prepared to admit that it isn't faultless.

Re: the muscles, "dramatic effect" doesn't cut it as an excuse, because the human body does not have muscles there. I'm all for unrealistically rippling abs or big superman pecs or whatever, but just throwing new muscles onto a character who is allegedly human is a rookie error. Study anatomy. Hard.

Don't start messing around with "high art" concepts until your basics are solid. They aren't. You're getting there, but you are way ahead of yourself and far too big for your boots.

I very much agree with you on focusing on the basics. The only reason I explained the art was you asked for a response. Please don't confuse that with general appreciation for your critique.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    Cool. Well man, I think you should go back to some of those panels and try redrawing them with realistic anatomy, even just as an exercise, and repost them.

Tube on
    edited July 2007
    I'm a little to busy to redraw the for the panels. I have to have 20 pages done before Dragon Con but if I get a chance to do some charcoals I will defiantly post them. It has been awhile since I boned up on anatomy. I would love suggestions for a good book on coloring as well. It is my greatest weakness.
    Night my Friends.

NeoKing on
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Sorry for the late response I was at a party. Usually I would have just taken it to heart but since you asked me to respond. The muscles are dramatic effect for the ribs, and the light source is off to show the unnatural state of the masked man. Manet used the same technique in A Bar at the Folies-Bergère http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bar_at_the_Folies-Berg%C3%A8re

But he used it mainly to depict time. Unfortunate the world at large wasn't ready for such techniques and his brilliance wasn't realized until much later. I am thankful of your input and hope my link will help you to gain a better understanding of higher art forms.

You guys are being way, way, way too easy on this guy. Read the passage again and let the rage bubble. C'mon Tube, I know you want to...

As for crits, the pale chap in the first panel you posted looks like a skeleton. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but the first impression I got was that this was a WoW comic and he was one of the Forsaken.

SpongeCake on
    edited July 2007
    The muscles are dramatic effect for the ribs, and the light source is off to show the unnatural state of the masked man.
    Manet used the same technique in A Bar at the Folies-Bergère http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bar_at_the_Folies-Berg%C3%A8re
    I brought up my background as an argument for credential validity for my opinions.
    I have to have 20 pages done before Dragon Con

Will you ever stop justifying your actions? It's very annoying!

MagicToaster on
    edited July 2007
    The muscles are dramatic effect for the ribs, and the light source is off to show the unnatural state of the masked man.
    Manet used the same technique in A Bar at the Folies-Bergère http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bar_at_the_Folies-Berg%C3%A8re
    I brought up my background as an argument for credential validity for my opinions.
    I have to have 20 pages done before Dragon Con

Will you ever stop justifying your actions? It's very annoying!

You forgot to quote the request for me to respond to those comments MT. Seemed only the polite thing to do. Thank you for taking such an interest in my post btw. Thats very kind of you.
    Later my friends.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    You forgot to quote the request for me to respond to those comments MT.

Maybe it's the fact that I don't speak English that often, but I have no idea what that sentence means.

Edit:

Why did you take down the image from your first post?

MagicToaster on
    edited July 2007
    You forgot to quote the request for me to respond to those comments MT.

Maybe it's the fact that I don't speak English that often, but I have no idea what that sentence means.

Edit:

Why did you take down the image from your first post?

Just hit refresh the pic is still there. And thank you for letting me know it wasn't showing. That is very kind of you. As for the English I will try to help you out.

Usted se olvidó de cotizar la petición para que responda a la TA de esos comentarios

Vous avez oublié de citer la demande pour que je réponde à la TA de ces commentaires

Sie vergaßen, den Antrag zu veranschlagen, damit ich auf jene Anmerkungen M.Ü. reagiere

Você esqueceu-se de citar o pedido para que eu responda à TA daqueles comentários

Вы забыли закавычить запрос для меня ответить к M T тех комментариев

U vergat om het verzoek om me te citeren om aan die commentarenMT. te antwoorden

Ξεχάσατε να αναφέρετε το αίτημα για με να αποκριθείτε στο όρος εκείνων των σχολίων.

Du glömde att citera förfråganen för att mig ska reagera till MT. för de kommentarer

نت نسيت أن يقتبس الطلب ل ي أن يستجيب إلى أنّ تعليقات [مت

それらのコメントMT.に答える私のための要求を引用することを忘れていた

당신은 그 코멘트 MT.에 반응하는 저를 위한 요구를 인용하는 것을 잊었다

您忘记引述请求我能反应那些评论MT.

Hope that helps. In any case the quote I was referring to was the one that asked me to respond to the ribs and lighting. Hope this helps.
    Later my friends.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    Since this site has been very forthcoming in honest critiques I am going to post a preview of tomorrows update. This is the art before it goes to my letterist. Enjoy and please, Don't hold back.
    Later my friends.
    pg17ca8.jpg

NeoKing on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    /edit-
    Since this site has been very forthcoming in honest critiques I am going to post a preview of tomorrows update. This is the art before it goes to my letterist. Enjoy and please, Don't hold back.
    Later my friends.
    pg17ca8.jpg

are you happy with that water slpash you just drew? Nothing in the story was developed in this page, nothing happened, except for a splash of water.

Also, every other problem described in this thread still persists.

Greatnation on
    edited July 2007
    Truth be told I do not like the watter. I am open to suggestions.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    suggestion-

spend more than what appears to be 30 seconds drawing the splash of water, and possibly use a ref to draw the splash of water, and then draw a better splash of water.

Do you feel that this page accomplishes something? Anything at all?

Greatnation on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What the hell is going on?

That's a water splash? Why is it coming out of the log instead of from where the guy fell in the water? It looks like a leaf. How come the water reflects the background but not the people who are actually inside of it? How come it's completely opaque?

Where are they right now? Is this a forest? How come the entire background is coloured in green, when there are only four trees visible?

Is he supposed to be inside a pool of jello in that last panel? Or is that him underwater? Either way the perspective is completely wrong.

Also is he transforming something or is that more of your Manet-inspired horrible anatomy going on? Why is his left eye three times larger than his right eye?

Brolo on
    edited July 2007
    suggestion-

spend more than what appears to be 30 seconds drawing the splash of water, and possibly use a ref to draw the splash of water, and then draw a better splash of water.

Do you feel that this page accomplishes something? Anything at all?

Thank you for the suggestions. As you asked I will tell you the page establishes that the troll is joining the battle and that Robert is in fact changing.
    Thank you for your time.

NeoKing on
    edited July 2007
    none of that is evident in the page. you should redo it.

Greatnation on
This discussion has been closed.