As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 07/25/12 - Unless there's a Nazi Brain in there, I'm not impressed.

UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Graphic Violence
Ultimate Comics The Ultimates #13 is Humphries first solo issue and done pretty well. Seems to have nailed all the charcters voices and it was great to have Cap back. Billy Tan also was all right.
SjOku.jpg
Tx9z6.jpg
Love this group shot.
eI1cl.jpg

FF #20 is another super solid issue by Hickman detailing the return of the inhumans. More Future/present Val and Franklin interactions!
tq60P.jpg
Myvkn.jpg
c4cXW.jpg

The Manhattan Projects #5 dammit Hickman, stop being so good at writing stuff. The opening scene from the preview is pretty funny / weird.
rTEDz.jpg
PiT6s.jpg
iEN7y.jpg

Venom #21 brings the Savage Six arc to a close. I wonder if Toxin will be invlolved with Minimum Carnage at all. It was a pretty satisfying conclusion, yet slightly predictable.
MTv7m.jpg
weHsy.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
UltimateInferno on

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    So, no new Green Lantern on Comixology. That did come out today right?

Another thing, I was eying the new Kid Eternity by Lemire and Hamner. (I never even knew this was coming out, one shot? mini?)

Four bucks is a bit steep for a character I'm unfamiliar with so if anyone else buys it this week sell me on it.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    So, no new Green Lantern on Comixology. That did come out today right?

Another thing, I was eying the new Kid Eternity by Lemire and Hamner. (I never even knew this was coming out, one shot? mini?)

Four bucks is a bit steep for a character I'm unfamiliar with so if anyone else buys it this week sell me on it.

it technically was released for an hour last week on it, so thats why it doesnt show up as a new release today
    http://www.comixology.com/Green-Lantern-2011-11/digital-comic/MAY120242

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    On Venom:
    Wait, wasn't Toxin a good guy? I'm not reading the series, so I don't know what's up, but wasn't Toxin introduced as a symbiote with a moral blank slate, bonded to a cop, and then the cop was raising him to be good and being his moral compass? What happened in the last couple of years?

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Uncanny X-force #28, Betsy takes the whole asian ninja thing right into a stereotype:
    30 years into the future, Kid Apocalypse turns into normal bad Apocalypse, and Wolverine gets a punch of people together to kill him once and for all. A grateful public allows them to become the new leaders, with Betsy at the helm, who then pull a Minority Report and start pre-killing people who would be criminals.

xforceuncanny28a.jpg

xforceuncanny28b.jpg

xforceuncanny28c.jpg

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    On Venom:
    Wait, wasn't Toxin a good guy? I'm not reading the series, so I don't know what's up, but wasn't Toxin introduced as a symbiote with a moral blank slate, bonded to a cop, and then the cop was raising him to be good and being his moral compass? What happened in the last couple of years?
    Remender killed the cop and gave the symbiote to Eddie Brock. It's awful.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    All of Scalped volume 9 is my MotW. Only one volume left.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    My MOTW's are the entirety of Batman Inc., and most of Justice League Dark

JLD spoilers
    John Constantine barging in decked out in magical artifacts made my nipples hard like diamonds. And Timothy Hunter is back! Yes! My only real complaint is the last page reveal. I'm not inclined to believe that Doctor Mist is a bad guy or anything, these types of things almost always end up being fake-outs, but assuming it's real- the stoic black guy with no real personality (yet) gets shafted. Great.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Not a big fan of that Ulitmates art. That Iron Man design is really strange.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »

No kidding. Tony Stark should not look like he wandered out of a bad anime. It's just wrong.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    iron man looks like EDI

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm not a big fan of the armor design, but I don't think it's the art's fault.

• Options
    DMAC wrote: »
    It's no Ribic art for sure, but I like Tan better than Ross/army of artists. The Iron Man design when first announced definitly seemed weird to me, but it grew on me throughout the issue (also nice to have an original to the Ultimate verse design again)

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    The art does appear to be....slightly off, if not given a lack of time to be "refined" as it were.

If nothing else, at least it's not the 616 armor and designs now.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I mentioned the armor looking off for some reason in the Ultimate Marvel thread. It feels like the size of the torso compared to the size of the limbs are off. Either the former's drawn too big or the latter were drawn too small.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »

You actually got a copy of Batman Inc? I thought they delayed it til next month because of the shooting.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular

You actually got a copy of Batman Inc? I thought they delayed it til next month because of the shooting.

Well I think most retailers got the copies, and when I asked my LCS they said that they knew all the other guys were putting it out so it would be fiscally irresponsible of them not to.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

Well I think most retailers got the copies, and when I asked my LCS they said that they knew all the other guys were putting it out so it would be fiscally irresponsible of them not to.

Diamond changed their shipping policies last year so Retailers got their copies sooner. Due to that, Batman Inc was already on the way or in the possession of most retailers when DC said they were going to delay it. At that point, it became a question of whether or not retailers would honor that or not.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Incredible Hulk's arc, while a neat idea , is spinning wheels a little, but the encounters are still enjoyable.

Also gave us this new weapon
    beartrapbazooka.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    5 gets you 10, Anti's going to have something from the new More than Meets the Eye by Saturday.

It will belong here.

That was a good issue.

• Options
    you guess right

can't go to the LCS til then

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I think it was intentional, but

It was out at my LCS, too.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »

does the issue have something to do with what happened or are they just delaying bat books as a sign of respect or something like that?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Hensler wrote: »

does the issue have something to do with what happened or are they just delaying bat books as a sign of respect or something like that?

It had some terrorism scenes, cause of course within 10 hrs of the announcement that they were delaying it out of respect, Bleeding Cool put up scans of the offensive material.

WiseManTobes on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    X-Treme X-Men #1 - Shit's gonna get weird in this book
    c1qb7.jpg

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Regular Avengers was kinda boring this week, but Secret Avengers #29 was awesome:
    SecretAvengers1.png

Max Fury and the Masters of Evil are collecting dangerous artifacts for some sinister reason. John Steele gets killed when trying to run away with one.
    Turns out Tasky has the third and Venom goes undercover as his bad self to infiltrate the The Hole, a super villain stripper bar where Taskmaster is hanging out.
    Yeah.

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That sounds pretty awesome

I love Flash Thompson Venom

• Options
    hot dang I love the Marvel Universe right now

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ultimates 13 was what the Avengers titles should be. An ongoing that constantly feels like an event. And as much as I love Hickman, this is the book I was expecting from the get go. Humphries' work so far seems to blend high-concept with more straightforward storytelling (Our Love is Real, Higher Earth, this), so I look forward to what he does.

Also, Secret Avengers 29 was pretty rad, but my wallet is bleeding. I kind of hope this whole descendants/shadow council/masters of evil/bagalia thing is just a way to get everything in one place for a big finish before the Now stuff all comes out.

• Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    c1qb7.jpg

would be it be a good idea to read astonishing xmen 44-47 to be able to enjoy xtreme xmen?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    You don't need it, but it is a fun story that certainly fleshes out the characters introduced in issue 1

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Uncanny X-force #28, Betsy takes the whole asian ninja thing right into a stereotype:
    30 years into the future, Kid Apocalypse turns into normal bad Apocalypse, and Wolverine gets a punch of people together to kill him once and for all. A grateful public allows them to become the new leaders, with Betsy at the helm, who then pull a Minority Report and start pre-killing people who would be criminals.

xforceuncanny28a.jpg

xforceuncanny28b.jpg

xforceuncanny28c.jpg

I kind of hope this isn't going to stick
    I want them to find some time travel solution to bring Fantomex and Betsy back!

• Options
    Eh
    Remender is a writer who is not afraid of killing a character and with the signs pointing to some new additions to the team in the coming months I doubt Betsy or Jean-Phillipe will be coming back anytime soon.

Which partially bums me out because Fantomex is one of my favorite X-Dudes, but I trust Remender's ability as a writer enough to still be totally interested in where the book is going and forgive the death.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    bets has a permanent get out of death free card thanks to her reality altering brother, so she'll be back eventually

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    She's kind of estranged her family recently, though.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    well yeah
    she's dead

• Options
    When's the last time Betsy and Brian even spoke to each other?

• Options
    When's the last time Betsy and Brian even spoke to each other?

Uncanny X-Force, but it wasn't the friendliest for the most part.

• Options
    Yeah the arc before this had the X-Force squad go to Otherworld and fight alongside the Captain Britain Corps, so they have talked recently.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Furu wrote: »

This book was so, so fun. From Dazzler's opening scenes ("Everything's coming up Dazzler!") to the final page, it was just a really great book. And Stephen Segovia, whose work I've been critical of in the past, did really nice work here. Just a great book all around.

X-Treme X-Men #1 Preview

From Deadpool #58; in his weakened state, Deadpool finds himself being hunted by Black Box, and his various superhuman operatives. Which forces him to get creative.
    Sitting on the toilet and reading a magazine, Deadpool is suddenly interrupted by Black Swan, a mercenary with a score to settle. Wade does the only rational thing, and launches a boucing betty landmine from his toilet tank, and dives into the bathtub. Cue flashback.

i6MPn.jpg
    I love that gleeful expression, as well as the fact Wade's plan required him to literally be caught with his pants down. Salva Espin, as always, draws the Hell out of it.

Deadpool #58 Preview

In Dark Avengers #178, the team find themselves facing off against constructs built by the Sultan Magus, while the time-lost Thunderbolts encounter trouble of a different kind.
    NLm9M.jpg
    Boss Cage, the lawman of the future. I love that his helmet is just one of Iron Man's, with the bottom cut off. Also that he's Judge Dredd.

Dark Avengers #178 Preview

Haunt #25 finds Mirage, the freelance spy, protecting a cartel kingpin in Mexico, while the Kilgore brothers recuperate from their last adventure.
    Mirage, seeking information about her job, gets in touch with Whisper, who was portrayed throughout the Kirkman/McFarlane/Capullo run, as being something of a crotchety old information broker. Joe Casey, in typical Joe Casey fashion, injects a little bit of weird into him.

0oVGi.jpg
    I really love the way Robbi Rodriguez draws the prostitute's expression, as she changes out of the fetish gear. It's equal parts amusement and boredom.

Haunt #25 Preview

Grim Leaper #3 has the two star-crossed lovers growing more comfortable with their body-hopping situation, and deciding to take proactive measures.
    While the lead story by Wiebe and Santos is perfectly fine, it's mostly just setup for the final issue. But, the backup story, about a man who falls in love with Siri, is delightful. For most of the five page story, we see him marveling at how helpful and wonderful she is, as she helps people with movie reviews, directions, and measurements. Until--

4wT6K.jpg

Grim Leaper #3 Preview

Debris #1 introduces the reader to a world where humanity live inside small, walled-off communities, to protect themselves from mechanical monsters.
    JHid8.jpg
    Between stuff like Prophet and Planetoid launching recently, I feel like the market for post-apocalyptic worlds with tribal humans and sparse technology, is getting a little saturated. But, this book has an entirely different feel from either of those books. There's something almost whimsical, or Miyazaki-like, about the world.

That's helped along greatly by Owen Gieni's colors, who makes Rossmo's art pop in a way I don't think it ever has. Rossmo's known as a guy who does gritty, gloomy work, fitting of a horror or noir book. But this issue showed how much range he really has, when given the right colorist.

Debris #1 Preview

In Prophet #27, old John Prophet goes looking for his former allies, hoping to find some still alive. But, he's been sleeping for a very long time.
    2XP6P.jpg
    I really love his weary narration. There's something about immortal/long-lived characters, that always strikes a chord with me. The idea of being old and alone, with all the great accomplishments you fought, bled, and sacrificed for long forgotten, is incredibly poignant, to me.

I also love Milonogiannis' little cartoon death bubble in the last panel. I love it when comics that are mostly drawn in a straight fashion, put a little exaggerated humor in there.

Additionally, Graham continues to bring the weird, with the entire story taking place on a planet that's made from interweaving plant creatures. Oh, and there are giant albino space-sharks.

Prophet #27 Preview

Munch on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Man, when did Haunt get good art? Debris looks good too.