As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo eShop] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Downloadable Mario 3DS games go on sale leading up to New Super Mario Bros. 2

Nintendo is building to the first-of-its-kind downloadable launch of New Super Mario Bros. 2 by letting us download some older Mario games on the cheap. The "Month of Mario," as Nintendo calls it, puts one 3DS Virtual Console game on sale a week, from this Thursday through the August 19 launch of NSMB2.

You'll be able to get Super Mario Bros. (NES) for $4 from July 26 to August 1. Starting August 2, Super Mario Land (Game Boy) will be $3. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy) will be on sale for $3 on August 9. Mario's Picross (Game Boy as well) will be $3 the next week, starting August 16. That's a dollar off the normal price of each.

That's also a lot of Mario games to play before ... another Mario game!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    And I already own all of those...yay!

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I own SMB and Mario land.

I might buy SML2 even though I have the original cart, and this would give me an easier to play version as I don't have a workable GBA/GB any longer.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Ha, I bought SML on sale, already got SMB for free from 3DS Ambassador, and didn't buy SML2. Maybe I'll buy it when it's on sale :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    I don't have the NES version of SMB, but I have it in Super Mario All Stars. I have both a working SNES with SGB and a GBA where to play Super Mario Land 2 and I don't like Mario Land 1 enough to buy it.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Grabbing both Super Mario Lands, and maybe the original SMB. Bought Picross this weekend and I've been pretty hooked on it.

I hope we get weekend sales on top of the Mario sales.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just hope people buy into this stuff so Nintendo sees the value in doing more eShop sales more often.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    The presence of Super Mario Bros. makes me wonder if we'll ever get Super Mario Bros. Deluxe...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I want all the Advance Mario games. Complete with e-reader stuff.

Algertman on
    The presence of Super Mario Bros. makes me wonder if we'll ever get Super Mario Bros. Deluxe...

They need to find a way to emulate the GB Printer functionality to at least save the stuff as screenshots on the SD card :)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

They need to find a way to emulate the GB Printer functionality to at least save the stuff as screenshots on the SD card :)

That'd be great!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »

I still own an e-reader and all the cards. Cool points baby!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I would rather have a Mario game with a level editor to make e-reader-like levels :D

But yeah, they really should do Super Mario Advance 4 with all the extra e-reader levels built in. (and I still own that too. It's a shame they never did more with that because the e-reader had a lot of potential, just never utilized)

• RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I would rather have a Mario game with a level editor to make e-reader-like levels :D

But yeah, they really should do Super Mario Advance 4 with all the extra e-reader levels built in. (and I still own that too. It's a shame they never did more with that because the e-reader had a lot of potential, just never utilized)
    I'd rather play Mario Advance 4 on my TV. I actually have all the eReader levels thanks to a cheat I used to get them all in there (including the Japanese ones). There's still one level that wasn't included but that's because it was an extremely special edition or something like that and people weren't able to get their hands on the eReader code.

I still have to replace my GameCube's lens, which I haven't done because I can't remove the lens without a very fine * screwdriver.

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    So seeing as there really isn't a Wii Shop channel or Virtual Console thread anymore, this seems like the perfect place to share this. Remember when Earthbound never came out on VC due to legal issues. Welp, the EB fan community now knows exactly what Nintendo's specific issues with it are,

http://earthboundcentral.com/2012/07/earthbounds-specific-legal-issues/
    A few years ago I made a post explaining that legal issues were the cause of why EarthBound isn’t on the Virtual Console (see here). The quick summary is that NOA wanted to make some changes to the game to avoid legal issues, but NCL didn’t want to make those changes.

At the time I made the post, I was asked by our source not to mention specifics. After some prodding recently, though, I was finally given the OK to list the specific issues, which are:

The Sky Runner song needs to be changed
    The Chuck Berry battle song needs to be changed
    The Dali’s Clock enemy name needs to be changed

The Chuck Berry song is easily replaced with one of the other dozen or so battle songs, so that’s not a big problem. The Dali’s Clock sprite is apparently fine, just the name needs to be changed. The show-stopper is the Sky Runner song, which was made specifically for the Sky Runner scenes. They feel a new song would need to be made, and apparently NCL or someone else on the Japanese side of things isn’t happy with that or finds it too much of a bother, so the game has been in limbo for the past five years.

For some more background info, see here:

The Sad Story of EarthBound on the Virtual Console

As I hear it, EarthBound was basically ready to be released on the Virtual Console, even the VC game instructions for it were apparently ready. Only at the last second did this situation arise.

Will this ever get resolved? I hope so, but after five years of this, I’m not expecting it to happen anytime soon.

Huh. So a single song and a week's worth of work are keeping one of the best SNES RPGs from being sold again. Life REALLY sucks sometimes.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    None of that makes sense to me. Nintendo didn't release Mother 2 on the JP Virtual Console either, but it was re-released only three years prior to the Wii's launch on the GBA with no copyright-related changes. It doesn't seem like NOA would have a place here.

It makes even less sense if it's just legal at NCL. The Sky Runner song bears a passing resemblance to one part of a Who song, to the point where it's not even clear if it's a reference. On the other hand, Mother 3 (released the same year as the Wii) has a song that blatantly references the 60's Batman theme song that plays whenever you fight a bat enemy.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    None of that makes sense to me. Nintendo didn't release Mother 2 on the JP Virtual Console either, but it was re-released only three years prior to the Wii's launch on the GBA with no copyright-related changes. It doesn't seem like NOA would have a place here.

It makes even less sense if it's just legal at NCL. The Sky Runner song bears a passing resemblance to one part of a Who song, to the point where it's not even clear if it's a reference. On the other hand, Mother 3 (released the same year as the Wii) has a song that blatantly references the 60's Batman theme song that plays whenever you fight a bat enemy.

Yeah, but they probably weren't as concerned about the implications of the song being played in Japan, compared to the lawyerfest that can occur in other regions.

People have been sued successfully over dumber shit, mind you.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    But my point is that Mother 2 wasn't released on the Virtual Console in Japan either. If it were a worldwide legal issue, we wouldn't have seen Mother 1+2 at all and Mother 3 would have had a couple things cut out, and if it were just a case of "this will only fly in Japan", they would have released it on the Japanese VC.

IT'S WARIO TIME! :ar!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Which is super weird because Mother 2 demo is included in Brawl. The Starmen.net dudes know their stuff but this inconsistency in there not being a Japanese VC release leaves me doubtful that this is the whole truth.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited July 2012
    But my point is that Mother 2 wasn't released on the Virtual Console in Japan either. If it were a worldwide legal issue, we wouldn't have seen Mother 1+2 at all and Mother 3 would have had a couple things cut out, and if it were just a case of "this will only fly in Japan", they would have released it on the Japanese VC.

It was in Smash Bros Brawl as a demo though. Chances are it was ready to be released in Japan before this came up and then they, for whatever reason, decided not to release it anywhere. Perhaps out of spite :P

Edit: Wow, NCL is crazy, there is no way the Skyrunner song would fly. They would get their asses sued off for that.

Warlock82 on
    edited July 2012
    Mole Mania!? That certainly came out of nowhere.

fg2ggMM6.jpg3DGWlo5s.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    So it looks like we'll still get other deals besides the mario ones...cool.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    What's Mole Mania?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    What's Mole Mania?

A relatively unknown overhead puzzle/maze game by Miyamoto.

It was released late in the life of the Game Boy, but before Pokemon hit, so it fell into obscurity.

220px-Mole_mania_boxart.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7yfzCJafJM

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Cloud...Mole Mania is awesome..you'd enjoy it.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    3DS eShop

◦Dot Runner: Complete Edition: $4.99. Help Bolt or one of his friends get through a maze, eating dots along the way. If they don’t grab the dots fast enough, the Yakkini-kus will cause all kinds of trouble.
    ◦Mole Mania: $2.99. Help a mole pass lots of levels, avoiding a farmer and his minions, so he can find his family. This Game Boy game is actually lot better than it sounds.◦Planet Crashers: $9.99. As a Planet Crasher, you must visit different planets and explore dungeons so you can eventually reach and stop a despicable man who wants to destroy the universe.
    ◦Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3: $3.99. Help Wario steal treasure from pirates in this Game Boy game.

DSiWare
    ◦Decathlon 2012: $4.99/500 Nintendo Points. This is a sports game with 10 different events to compete in, with gold medals to earn and touch screen controls.

3DS Deals

◦Super Mario Bros.
    Nintendo has kicked off "A Month of Mario" to celebrate the upcoming launch of New Super Mario Bros. 2. Through Aug.19, one classic Mario game per week will become available in the Nintendo eShop at a discounted price. Starting today through Wednesday, Aug. 1, Mario and Luigi's first great adventure, Super Mario Bros., is available at a special price of $3.99. (For Nintendo 3DS)
    ◦Colors! 3D
    This weekend's featured title is Colors! 3D, a powerful painting application that caters to everyone from serious artists to aimless doodlers. For a limited time, download this title from the Nintendo eShop at a discounted price of $3.99. Offer is valid from 9 a.m. Pacific time on Friday, July 27, through 9 p.m. Pacific time on Sunday, July 29. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited July 2012
    I may have to grab Colors! 3D. I have been eying that for awhile. Anyone use it? Is it good?

Warlock82 on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    It is very good, but I am very terrible at it. :D It's pretty much as good as you are at art. It can be incredible if you familiarize yourself with it and know how to draw/color. If you're like me, it's a novelty that you just try to use but it ends up looking like a child with fingerpaints.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Mole Mania is instabuy for me. I've been hoping that would come out.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Still no titty rhythm demo? :(

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote: »

Just buy it already. Trust us.

Seriously.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Seriously.

Thirded. It's horribly addictive.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
    pslong9 wrote: »

Seriously.

Fourthed! BUY IT NAOU!

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    edited July 2012
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    pslong9 wrote: »

Seriously.

Fourthed! BUY IT NAOU!

Honestly, if you like rhythm games and the music from any random three songs in the game doesn't want to make you projectile vomit, there's no reason not to.

Edit: Let me put it to you this way. I'm having just as much fun playing the tracks from the Final Fantasy games I never played (and never heard the music from) as the ones from Final Fantasies I did play.

cloudeagle on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    How punishing is the rhythm on it? I could not play Rhythm Heaven DS or the demo of Rhythm Thief because I could never get the timings right.

Turkey wrote: »
    How punishing is the rhythm on it? I could not play Rhythm Heaven DS or the demo of Rhythm Thief because I could never get the timings right.

By "right" do you mean that you flubbed a time or two during a song, or you missed a LOT of things? I didn't have any trouble with the Rhythm Thief demo, and I'm finding it a bit tricky to get perfect chains on the songs in the second tier of difficulty (there are three).

By "right" do you mean that you flubbed a time or two during a song, or you missed a LOT of things? I didn't have any trouble with the Rhythm Thief demo, and I'm finding it a bit tricky to get perfect chains on the songs in the second tier of difficulty (there are three).

Playing with headphones helps a LOT.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

Playing with headphones helps a LOT.

Oh yeah. And playing with the 3DS on a flat surface, rather than your hands.

This discussion has been closed.