As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Beginning of the [chat]

1899091929395»

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Temporary work was once considered a leading indicator for the job market — a harbinger of improved prospects for people seeking permanent positions. But in this recovery, staffing agencies say fewer employers are taking temps onboard as permanent workers.

companies are dumb

we'll save benefits (but pay higher salary because of the temp agency's cut) and keep them as temps

with no regard for the negative impact having short-term workers has on productivity (constantly bringing people up to speed and/or losing institutional knowledge)

I was pretty happy to skip the temp agency and bring a person in as my replacement. Temp agencies are super expensive.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Live video feeds for tensor displays could easily reach into the hundreds of megabytes per second. The future is coming, whether you are ready or not.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    An upscale major kitchen remodel in the U.S., including custom cherry cabinetry, stone counter tops, and high-end appliances costs an average of nearly $111,000, reports a yearly study done by Remodeling Magazine.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Google Fiber

That's a real big number but it's completely meaningless to anyone who does anything other than watch YouTube videos.

I'm really interested in the good charities might be able to do with the free internet option. Get low income families grants to pay for the construction fee and you could help bring internet to poor areas.

Yeah, that's actually the best option. One time fee of 300$ for the drop and hardware or 25$ a month for 12 months? Five megabit is a perfectly reasonable amount of bandwidth to pay for, much less get for free.

Google will be inundated with techsupport calls to the tune of, "I have a gigabit connection but am only downloading stuff at a megabyte and this speed test server two states away says I only get 18megabit."

Google is guaranteeing 7 years of free internet for that option. So it works out $3.58 or so a month. I mean I'm not sure there is a better value out there.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Google Fiber

That's a real big number but it's completely meaningless to anyone who does anything other than watch YouTube videos.

The same things are said over and over again whenever hardware leapfrogs application. Don't worry, give it a few years and we'll find ways to burn 128MB/s in ways you never dreamed of. Ways that will make you wonder how you lived without it.

I remember back in the day having trouble filling my 6 gigabyte hard drive.

I remember having trouble filling an 80MB hard drive.

I remember when games fit on a low density floppy. 300 or 400 KB.

It was a big deal to me to buy a game that came on 5 or 6 floppy discs like WC2 or Ultima 8.

EDIT: Note that WC2 and U8 came long after I upgraded to a 486 with a 250MB or so HD. The 80 was on a 286.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    HD group video chats

in 3D

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    no

not for canadians

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Andrew Sullivan is pissing me off with his Sally Ride shit

wait what?

He's giving her all this shit for not coming out openly as a lesbian during the 1980s and 90s

It's a shame and a pity that she either didn't feel she could or just plain didn't want to, but apparently she didn't break enough barriers in her lifetime to satisfy him

Sullivan is the worst.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Google Fiber

The same things are said over and over again whenever hardware leapfrogs application. Don't worry, give it a few years and we'll find ways to burn 128MB/s in ways you never dreamed of. Ways that will make you wonder how you lived without it.

Gonna be much longer than a few years, sadly. The bottleneck is upstream and pricing. Sure, YouTube videos will load insanely fast and if Google and Netflix ever get their direct peers up then Netflix will be blazing.

You're right in that it's not a bad idea to have it now for when that overhead is needed but they could probably . But the internet in general? I doubt the necessity of having a connection that fast will come anytime soon. Though I am certainly interested in what kind of data a normal home user will be pushing in ten years. I guess super mega ultra fancy High Def? But even the most highest and definiest of HDs won't suck up a gigabit anytime soon.

I admin a massive ISP and Cell network. If you're in the South/South East and browse the net on your phone, 9/10 you're gonna come across my network even if you aren't on my cell company (who is large). We only have about a total of five gigabit upstream and we're talking about dropping 2gigs of it because it's just not needed. 3 gigabit upstream provides voip, video tv, and general internet usage for dozens of thousands of people with enough overhead to spare.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    There was a paper journalist interviewing R Kelly, they were in a pretty tight sound booth. R Kelly calls his butler, and whispers something to him.

The butler leaves and moments later a woman clad in a bikini outfit comes in the booth. She faces away from Mr Kelly and leans forward. During the rest of the interview R Kelly sometimes gropes her ass every now and then, completely normal like this is something that everyone does.

This may be crazy rumor but I choose to believe it.

R Kelly, you are weird.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I wonder what Jeb thinks about this use of Kerbal technology.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Andrew Sullivan is pissing me off with his Sally Ride shit

wait what?

He's giving her all this shit for not coming out openly as a lesbian during the 1980s and 90s

It's a shame and a pity that she either didn't feel she could or just plain didn't want to, but apparently she didn't break enough barriers in her lifetime to satisfy him

Sullivan is the worst.

I am a fan for a lot of other reasons but he has fucking blinders on for a lot of issues that just drive me insane

But I wouldn't keep reading if I agreed with him all the time, I guess

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    R Kelly has long entered the Tyson Zone

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    @Donkey Kong throw us down a barrel of chat and some Hellman's to wash it down with

@Nova_C you are Diddy Kong. Avenge your dad if he dies.

I lost the thread of the metaphor somewhere

This discussion has been closed.