As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tim Schafer's [DÜDLE] Legend

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    @desperaterobots ... god damn! I mean just...god damn!

CRAP! TOTP:
    underwalker800.jpg

(I can paint at my nightshift job, it's amazing.)

Halen wrote: »
    Little self-portrait featuring gratuitous overuse of blending tool...

tumblr_m7opdiW94c1ql500mo1_500.jpg

Which'll teach me to draw after 3 glasses of wine.
    Sharky, those trees are really fun. Almost looks like something you could make little prints of and hang.

I'm getting there!
    Gallant1.jpg
    He is Gallant.

NibCrom wrote: »
    2012-07-23-cry-cry-again.jpg
    sharky t wrote: »
    tumblr_m7kfkkflEi1qbiru9o2_500.jpg
    tumblr_m7kfkkflEi1qbiru9o1_250.jpgtumblr_m7kfkkflEi1qbiru9o5_250.jpg
    tumblr_m7kfkkflEi1qbiru9o4_250.jpgtumblr_m7kfkkflEi1qbiru9o3_250.jpg

Treeeees!

Tam wrote: »
    fvi7tl.jpg

that should get us up to speed. Also, holy hell this damn thread finally hit 99!

brokecracker on
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    Yeah it's acrylic. :) I've got a little show coming up in a few weeks and I'm painting my ass off for it. I'll show more when it's done. I'm only really doing two pieces in that highly rendered style, the rest are pretty "graphic" for lack of a better word.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    DMAC wrote: »
    It's pretty much the same process as this:

deviantart.com/download/283434077/coloring_tutorial_by_d_mac-d4oqz4t.jpg

Once I've got the flat shading done, I select some areas and add a gradient to add a little depth.

I kind of want to do Sandman and Kraven just so that I have one of the actual Sinister Six lineups.

Awww but Venom's my favorite :(

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    need to quickly knock out a commission over the next few days, concept speedpaint which I'll probably just go with.

ff_prog1.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Oh! I love the perspective! It's kind of got an ICO/shadows of the collossus vibe about it.

Draw an egg.
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    cat doodles, ballpen and the only two markers I have at the office.
    gatosfland2012.jpg

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
  • ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Hey guys, I seriously need some help with this painting. Just short of starting a series "Painting: how to ruin a good drawing" I'm not sure what to do.
    It's not finished, I would need to put a lot more value into the characters/foreground, as well as clean up all the obvious brush strokes/crappy edges, but I'm feeling like I dont know what the hell i'm doing.
    Painting/sketch in spoilers
    e32Z1.png
    The original drawing
    aoAXl.jpg

Shankbone on
    We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
    Shankbone, first of all, you have an INCREDIBLY cool name, and I wish I have picked it first.

Second, try using WAY larger brushes, the guy even looks pixelated at some places.... unless its actually pixelated from resizing it...hmmm.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    Yeah, its been shrunk a lot, the original is 3000pixels on a side or so

We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    @Shankbone - I agree with Fantomas' larger brushes suggestion, at least in the early stages of painting; they'll encourage you to block in/think more about values before you go crazy rendering details.

Right now the values on the dragon and the Saint George-looking dude are all pretty midrange and muddy despite the strong directional light source; one of the highest areas of contrast in the whole painting is the tree, which is almost black and parked right on a really light area and it's drawing my eyes more than either of the subjects. I'm a big advocate of starting in black and white to keep yourself honest with values rather than just jumping into color. Here, look at just the values:
    e32Z1values.png

Pardon a really crappy, quick paintover (just squint, okay) but you might benefit from pushing that tree into the background with some atmospheric haze and getting a little bolder with shadows and highlights on your subjects to keep them in the foreground:
    e32Z1_paintover.png

Nice drawing, anyway. :^:

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
    Thanks squid, that paintover is really solid, I tend to forget to account for diffuse light sources (the sky) effecting the color of shadows, also: yikes, I made that tree really high contrast for be so unimportant...

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Little sketch of a castle in the clouds.

cloudcastle.jpg

I like the effect, but I can't help but feel the image placement or framing is wrong somehow. It just looks odd.

edit: Hmn, is this any better?

cloudcastle3.jpg

Halen on
    Draw an egg.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    8wgy6o.jpg

Tam on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited July 2012
    street_shark_rough.jpg

DMAC on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    lol street sharks

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    Is there anything more terrifying than a bipedal shark on rollerblades?

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Four bipedal sharks on rollerblades, I suppose.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Great, now draw the jets fighting the sharks.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    Dmac, I would kill to see some Biker mice from mars!

HUD/UI so far for a game I'm designing.

UIHUD.jpg

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Remember when you are designing these things that the purpose is to display information in an efficient but attractive manner. Your goal is not to impress people with your sweet HUD, but to make it something easy to use that doesn't distract them from the game. With that in mind I think much of your design is probably pretty high contrast and pretty chunky for a futuristic design. Your choices of typeface are pretty important as well. For example, the 'melee' and statistics text feels out of place for a futuristic design. And the smaller text under statistics is almost completely unreadable at this resolution.

One example of where the choice of typeface became a pretty major issue in a HUD is in Starcraft II. The game is broadcast around the world as an esport, but because of Blizzard's retarded choice of font for the resource text in the top right, you can almost never read it except on the highest quality streams. However, if you ever watch a Korean player stream while playing on the Korean client, you can read the numbers easily because it uses a different font which compresses into lower resolutions much more effectively.

If you are going to design a game I suggest thinking about these things now, even if you don't think people will being streaming them live around the world as an esport. A lot of people check out new games on youtube in lets plays and other gameplay videos before buying them, and if your interface is annoying and hard to read it definitely has an impact on whether they will want to make the purchase.

Anyways, I get really annoyed with video game interfaces so I have put a lot of thought into it. Sorry if it seems a little overboard.

rts on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Tam and D, you guyses' skills are as polished as ever.

I had my friend over for a "I sketch, you watercolor" party. This was my favorite:
    Sketch08-Saudade.jpg

Finishing a short comic with the character and it gets more and more fun to draw.

AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    That's pretty sweet, Toji.

• ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    RTS, thanks a ton, you didn't go overboard in the slightest. Feedback like yours is why I keep posting here year after year!(Just realized today is my 5 year anniversary at the AC!) This is my first UI ever, so I still have no clue wtf I'm doing haha. Typography and I don't really get along very well, so I'll try my best to work on that area. As far as the game itself, think Turok meets Diablo ^_^

Obilex on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    New series of screenprints I started called Dungeon Drops, based on items, loot and other elements from RPG games. Here is one of the prints:

7676161262_2406448958_c.jpg

You can see the other 5 prints, and some of the screenprinting process on a page I set up dungeondrops.tumblr.com/. More prints on the way!

New series of screenprints I started called Dungeon Drops, based on items, loot and other elements from RPG games. Here is one of the prints:

7676161262_2406448958_c.jpg

You can see the other 5 prints, and some of the screenprinting process on a page I set up dungeondrops.tumblr.com/. More prints on the way!

• desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    Grenn, selling those? The only crit I'd have is that the url makes it feel like an advertisement, rather than a piece of art. I know I'd feel a bit weird about having a print on my wall that included the website of the creator. Just something to think about, I don't know what your intentions were. :)

That's a valid point actually, I'm just used to doing that from poster work. Urls are only on the bigger prints, though. I might add them to the back of the next ones... maybe make a stamp.

And yes, for sale! They come as a set and look nice together.

Grenn, those are marvelous, I love dungeon-crawl themed stuff...

I think i'm calling this dragon piece done, probably should do some direct reference paintings before I fire off on something like this again...
    (spoiler for maybe-huge image...)
    9Nj2z.jpg?3

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Grenn wrote: »
    That's a valid point actually, I'm just used to doing that from poster work. Urls are only on the bigger prints, though. I might add them to the back of the next ones... maybe make a stamp.

And yes, for sale! They come as a set and look nice together.

Yeah I personally would never buy a print with the url on the front of it, it looks tacky and like I just personally printed off something from someones tumblr on my printer

• KronusKronus Registered User regular
    Oh dang Grenn, all of those prints are absolutely beautiful! Your style in general makes me go weak in the knees.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

luv dem color choices though Grenn

Kochikens wrote:
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    basics01.jpg
    basics02.jpg
    basics03.jpg
    some quick explanations for an ask on tumblr. ( here it is with the text http://artanecdotally.tumblr.com/post/28450705576/as-a-person-who-has-been-collecting-tutorials-and ) I'm still trying to make this blog a thing, and it seems like its starting to pick of traction just a little tiny bit.

Iruka, that is both true and adorable. Truthdorable.

Just monkeyin' around with some ghoul douldle.
    sx1y0.jpg?1

lol "It's all lumpy and stupid."

And I love your blog Iruka there's lots of gems to be had on it.

Haven't doodled in awhile, unfortunately. But I'll have a lot of finished designs to post after this week and can start working on personal projects again.
    399372_1591653157296_404281207_n.jpg

Kochikens wrote:
    bad bear doodle !

osopendenciero.jpg

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    snip
    some quick explanations for an ask on tumblr. ( here it is with the text http://artanecdotally.tumblr.com/post/28450705576/as-a-person-who-has-been-collecting-tutorials-and ) I'm still trying to make this blog a thing, and it seems like its starting to pick of traction just a little tiny bit.

This is awesome. I went through your blog a lot yesterday!

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I enjoy that, Iruka. :)

Just a lil paint-from-ref for this afternoon, not great, but ok.
    Going to try my hand at doing a master-copy of some Bierstad piece with seals later on, we'll just see how that shit works out...
    cAj1d.png?1

This discussion has been closed.