As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, July 24, 2012 - Osculation

2»

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    My eyes keep getting stuck every time someone talks about framing.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    BTW, for those of you who are not aware, the title of today's comic is a fancy word for kissing. I'm thinking Jerry probably contributed that one.

I thought they were gonna play Tennis for Two.

• Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Fundamentally: Marley though his own fault caused a problem.
    In reaction to that problem, Cora did something (leaking) that she thought was the nice thing to do, and quite possibly was.
    Isaac's actions meant that Marley, not Cora, was fired as a result of the problem.

Don't beat around the bush here: Isaac did it to save his own skin. If Cora was caugt for it, Isaac believed she would drag him down with her by telling them that Isaac didn't report the problem when he should have. So he chose the obvious scapegoat, Marley, and framed him for it; justifying it by stating that it was Marley who was responsible for the whole mess in the first place.
    Oh yeah, Isaac was not being selfless like Cora, but he was also less naive. Cora was doing what she thought was right, but she put herself and her colleagues are risk. Not good. Isaac, more self-interested but also more cunning, stopped Cora from destroying herself.

There's no hero in the story but Isaac's not the villain either.

• Options
    ArakonArakon Registered User regular
    Isaac's move was BS. In our QA, there's a golden rule: The team holds together. There may be people who fuck up, people who are annoying, people who are not as skilled as the others, but you never, ever rat out on them or dump them in the crap.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Arakon wrote: »
    Isaac's move was BS. In our QA, there's a golden rule: The team holds together. There may be people who fuck up, people who are annoying, people who are not as skilled as the others, but you never, ever rat out on them or dump them in the crap.

Cora is basically screwing the rest of the team with her leaking.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

So when it was announced that whoever left the coffee machine on overnight was going to be fired how did your team handle the situation

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ShanksShanks "THAT FELLOW" Registered User regular
    I graduated top of my class in game art [...]
    Fortunately most of those people found work (I’m not one of them sadly) [...]

Way to bury the lede, Tale writer.

Royal Families card game rules Origin/XBL: SpaceRangerJ Steam
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    That tale should be called "Each and Every."

• Options
    nyzernyzer Registered User regular
    What I find funny is how whenever Isaac's exploitation is brought up, it's as though he did it at the expense of the entire company. He found it on his own while on vacation, informed a co-worker within what, minutes of returning, and by all appearances didn't spread the word about it. He used it to boost his own character, yeah, but still.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    The more I see of Isaac, the more of he reminds me of a slightly less psychotic Ethan from CAD.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Therac-25 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    King Riptor just made me realize that the comic is going to have an Evangellion-esque ending.

So, incoherent and impenetrably nonsensical unless you willingly twist your mind around in knots?

No. Everyone gets fired.

• Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »

So when it was announced that whoever left the coffee machine on overnight was going to be fired how did your team handle the situation

I am Spartacus!

I like Isaac. He has amusing facial expressions and says funny things.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Must be nice to be a lazy scrub "working" on your team then.

I'm all for team unity, but if someone is being an anchor then they are doing a disservice to everyone else thats actually contributing. My line manager has twice so far saddled me with a useless person. His metric is finding a project for everyone under him to work on. My metric is producing a product that satisfies my sponsor and my users. I don't go to my line manager anymore when I'm looking for people, instead relying on word of mouth through a network of cross departmental contacts I've built up. The people I've gotten from him one was a very nice person who was just too inexperienced for this kind of project, and the other was a guy who has 15+ years on me, yet after a month of work he delivers me a one page paper I could have written in 2nd grade. No thank you.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Yeah, that attitude's gotten great results in police departments around the country.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
    Isaac's move was BS. In our QA, there's a golden rule: The team holds together.
    But what does the team do about people who break the golden rule?

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

I'm all for team unity, but if someone is being an anchor then they are doing a disservice to everyone else thats actually contributing. My line manager has twice so far saddled me with a useless person. His metric is finding a project for everyone under him to work on. My metric is producing a product that satisfies my sponsor and my users. I don't go to my line manager anymore when I'm looking for people, instead relying on word of mouth through a network of cross departmental contacts I've built up. The people I've gotten from him one was a very nice person who was just too inexperienced for this kind of project, and the other was a guy who has 15+ years on me, yet after a month of work he delivers me a one page paper I could have written in 2nd grade. No thank you.
    Reminds me of someone who's been on the same program as me for, oh god, 4.5 years now.

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Seems that the comic will indeed be a boring and predictable one.
    He thought Cora is the mole, he thought himself a knight in shining armour and heck, [R/M]arly was guilty as charge most likely anyway...if in anything else then the previous dereliction. Seems Cora doesn't see it that way...how surprising.
    So now either Cora will yell at him "you ass, I'm the mole, I should be the one going home" or it turns out it's not her either...and the leaks will still continue. We then enter pseudo detective drama. My guess? It's the Butler (or LoLBat, more precisely).

Did Marley had it coming? Definitely.
    Does it excuse Issac? Nope, he was being an ass. Far worse than a snitch. He FRAMED someone.
    Evil only begets more wrong.

As for the story, it's the exception rather than the rule. And as the story proves, such firms more often than not close down.
    "Such what" you ask? dev studios that actually still maintain days of yore creative development cultures. Most of them are now corporate culture. Strife. Grief. Politics. ...Shit.

How many studios we had "recently" go with such cultures that could fit the description?
    Personally, I'm thinking either 3D Realms or Free Radical Entertainment.

That's nice. Until the day QA team give management a reason to think that a divide&conquer is in order. Then you can count the number of knives in your back versus the number of teammates to calculate your actual friends quantity in that team.

Ori Klein on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Isaac was dickish, but with good intentions. And M/Rarley kept showing up to work high as a motherfucker, so, out the door you go.

• Options
    fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    I don't think I would like this comic at all if everyone did rational, moral things.

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate