As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

E.V.O. : Search For [Phalla] Chapter One - Shark Victory!

1474849505153Β»

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    mafiaaaaaaaaaaaaa

actually that was a big part of why i dropped it cause when you said you were selling a house I was like hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm yea I guess that makes sense

also fig, yea im way out of my game now, not like how I usta play sadly which wasn't any good back then either but oh well

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: Β»
    Teucrian wrote: Β»
    There was no network proboard because of my decision to keep my contact with saber/lucedes segmented from my contact with Slym. While I was 99% sure Slym was what he said he was it was honestly a little easier that way for me.

I was roleblocked night one (Kime was that you?).
    I seered Orange Soda night two, who did nothing. (Not a good choice based on stuff in game but I hadn't seen OS in a while and wanted to work with him. Then slym revealed and OS withdrew so whatever.)
    I seered Ecco using cladoslache jaws on saber night 3. Slym chose Ecco as a target, so I won't take credit for that.
    We discussed a number of targets on night 4. Saber wanted Figgy or Shalmelo (I think). Slym wanted Chamberlain. I decided on Chamberlain and saw him shark attack Shiny New Toys.

I really believed Saber, Slym, and I were going to win this game going away at that point. But then Slym had to go camping, Lucedes went inactive, and I got eaten. Really feels like the one that got away.

@Teucrian: Nope, I started with a busdriver ability. I busdrove @Bedlam and @TheRoadVirus the first day, thinking it would protect TRV (who would bite someone dying to the vote, after all?). Turned out to hurt TRV :(

Haha that was you?

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I was all, "I'll protect you, TRV!"

Then I died.

And then you were all "people bit me that wasn't nice"

And I was all "but that means they tried to bite a dead fish o_O"

But I was dead so didn't actually say that

And actually, order of actions may have changed that? But maybe not!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: Β»
    Oh, and I was shitting my pants a bit the night I accidentally left an old draft in my post. It was an innocent thing, but it looked fishy. I edited it out but knew someone would have caught it.

It was something like "Fine, I'll break the ti"

I was going to post earlier that night and change my vote, but I sat on it and went out instead.

Luckily, spool died that night and INANTP didn't press the issue.

@cayrus what were you? Just a "confirmed" original fish? If we went on another day I had a post ready to start a vote on you based on

1) sporadic and contentless posts all game that you excused away because you were posting on your phone yet
    2) you were perfectly active in the Last Night on Earth game, even chastizing others in that thread for posting on their phone. "geez get a laptop guys"

So Saber, you were confirming by seeing how fish bit? You could have ended up "confirming" sharks as village that way:

- some of us had a 3 dmg basic bite
    - any of us could have switched to our 3 dmg basic bite at any time

The village pressing the idea that sharks could not evolve really helped us.

I was just an OG fish. I was cooperative to saber and my bites matched up with the info he was getting, I assume. I am generally useless in phallas so what you say is nothing new.

The phone thing was true though, whenever I needed to post in this thread I was on my phone and in the zombie thread I had my comp. The chastizing was a joke because I knew I had complained about being on my phone early that week.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I was all, "I'll protect you, TRV!"

Then I died.

And then you were all "people bit me that wasn't nice"

And I was all "but that means they tried to bite a dead fish o_O"

But I was dead so didn't actually say that

And actually, order of actions may have changed that? But maybe not!

I appreciate the sentiment enough to where I'm willing to ignore the result :P
    We should work together more!
    In fact, everyone should work with me! And do as I say! No way it can go wrong!

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Oh cool, way to go Jdark and Figgy. Nice to know not all my votes were off base. Fun game, a LOT different on forums than it is as a party game though.

I had been talking a bit with SLyM before he left for camping, so I think I had him convinced of being a village, guess Taya had more doubts though. @M.D. Looks like TRV admitted to the horn attacks, I had the sailing fin which was +1 vote. Don't think I even bit you, mostly it was AkimboLegs. I was way off base early on thinking the sharks played by different rules re. evolution and in retrospect that wouldn't have made much sense.

Thanks for hosting 38thDoe.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I had a lot of fun running this, and it was a lot easier to do narration and such without having to track everything manually. If there is any demand, I might try and do the rest of the chapters of this game.

To answer some common questions first:

The game was called early because with the current health/attacks and voting powers of the players, the only way the village could win would be if the mafia went inactive.

There was not an alignment seer of any kind. I tried to make each part do something reasonable, and I couldn’t think of anything to relate to finding out someone’s alignment. I figured a starfish could grab on to someone and find out what they did for the night, so there was an alignment seer, Teucrian. Who found mafia almost every time.

Sharks could evolve. I didn’t want to leave them out of what I thought was the coolest part of the game. They started off with a group kill that couldn’t be traced to any of their stat blocks. They started off with different levels of + evo p like the original fish, and some started with Cladoselache’s jaws as well.

I decided not to have the parts tell you what they did in keeping with the source, but also to help network. Almost all of the parts started off in play at the start of the game. The crystal gave evo p on odd days, and told the function of a part of your choosing on even days. I hoped that this would enable people to find out a lot of the parts with some talking to others. This seemed mostly successful. The mafia didn’t do as much networking and didn’t know as much about parts, although a lot of the info was shared in the thread. A lot of people thought the ampullae of Lorenzini would be a seer power, but it was so cheap, it wouldn’t be balanced.

Inactivity/Withdraws were high during this game, I guess note to self run game during steam sale at your own risk.

Something about writing about fish gave me trouble, sorry for boring narration.

Right before we started the game MrBlarney found a way for two people working together to become immune to everything except for the vote. We decided to leave it in, it required a lot of evo p, and didn’t actually come up in the game.

If you haven’t played E.V.O. , you should take a look for it, it is a ton of fun if a bit hard.

Roles (and most of the parts):

Sharks
    You are...

A Cladoselache

For years you and your kind have ruled from the top of the food chain as the most fit organism the planet has ever seen. Lately, there have been rumors that someone evolved a more powerful set of jaws then you. You will not stand for anyone else to be an apex predator! You have clearly been too lenient with the lesser beings. It may be time to cull the flock...

Life: 30 Hp

In addition to your evolved abilities, you also have a group attack equivalent to a 45-damage bite attack which will need to be inputted via a PM or on the proboards.

ObiFett and chamberlain are adult sharks and have the following additional abilities:

Adaptations: You will start the game with Cladoselache’s Jaws which will enable you to each bite a target for 12 damage.

Figgy, Retaba, ecco the dolphin, and Langly are juvenile sharks and have the following additional abilities:

Adaptations: You will start the game with Cladoselache’s Jaws which will enable you to each bite a target for 12 damage.

Superiority: It’s not a complex when you are actually superior. Your drive to succeed enables you to gain an extra 10 Evo.P per night.

jdarksun, Kaplar, Mill, and Egos are young sharks and have the following additional abilities:

Adaptations:

Ambition (Passive): Due to your drive to succeed you gain 20 extra Evo.P per night.

Win condition: Outnumber the other animals in the sea.

Specials
    You are...

a Jellyfish

You have evolved into something special! At least, that’s what you keep telling yourself as you slowly swim along. You were content to just drift and eat, but the fish just won’t leave you alone. They love to swim past at high speed and make zoom noises. It is enough to make someone want to evolve intensely painful stinging cells! Now the annoying fish have angered the sharks forcing you to work together with them. What a bunch of jerks!

Adaptations:

Sting: You may slap a target with your stinging cells. This will cause them to convulse in agony, and be unable to take an action.

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to the World before Land.

REMINDER: Do not share statblock links. Statblocks are effectively equivalent to role PMs, and sharing of this information is verboten.

You are...

an Amber Jellyfish

You once lived in a great cluster of Jellyfish, and your life was a horror-show. You were stung all day long. Finally you realized that if you couldn’t beat them you might as well join them.

Unfortunately, you then learned that the Jellyfish weren’t immune to their own stings. Now you were getting stung more than ever, and you were too slow to get away. You didn’t give up and evolved a special body that was immune to their stings. Just when you thought your troubles were finally over, the fish got the sharks riled up, and now you are in danger again. Well... not in danger of being stung at least.

Adaptations:

Slimy Body: You are immune to stings.

REMINDER: Do not share statblock links. Statblocks are effectively equivalent to role PMs, and sharing of this information is verboten.

You are...

a Sea Slug

You were among the first to evolve a brightly colored body! You thought it was pretty fashion forward. Apparently the fish thought it meant β€œPlease eat me”. You didn’t take it lying down. Now you are the proud owner of a brightly colored body dripping with toxins. You can’t wait for those stupid fish to bite you again! Although, it might be better to have them around than the sharks...

Adaptations:

Toxic Body: Anyone biting you will suffer 10 damage.

You are...

an Eel

You were among the first to realize the advantages of having a whip like body. You can fit through small spaces and tie yourself into a knot. Still, the other fish mocked you. So you taught yourself how to tightly wrap their mouth, preventing them from speaking. Also eating.

Adaptations:

Wrap: You are able to wrap yourself around a target so that they will be unable to gather Evo.P during the night.

You are...

a Scavenger

Technically you are just another fish, but you picked up an interesting behavior somewhere along the way. You eat like normal, but now when you see someone else eating you eat their food too! It hasn’t made you very popular, but its not your fault they aren’t as fit for survival. (Actually it is.)

Adaptations:

Scavenging Behavior: You steal 50% of your target’s Evo.P income for the night.

You are...

a Squid

You have evolved a radically different body then most of the fish. In fact you’d say you evolved beyond the petty struggles of the fish entirely. Unfortunately, the stupid sharks group you with the fish anyways, so looks like you’ll help the fish. This will give you a chance to try out your latest development, throwing ink at people!

Adaptations:

Ink Cloud: Choose two targets. Whatever abilities target one will now affect the other and vice versa.

You are...

a Thelodus

You belong to the proud Thelodus family. While you might not be the most powerful fish in the ocean, you practically wrote the book on speed. Other fish wish they had your tail. Including the sharks, unfortunately. They have been surrounding your fellows and picking them off. You must use your speed and political savvy to rally the fish to victory over the monsters.

Adaptations:

Thelodus Tail: You speedy tail allows you to travel quickly, spreading your opinion to more of the ocean than other fish are able to. This gives you +1 to all of your votes.

You are...

a Prime Anglerfish

You have evolved a bioluminescent horn. You sure are ahead of your time! It sure is shiny. If anyone ever saw it, they would say it glowed... even the sharks! While it won’t protect you from a direct attack, it might help your friends stay alive long enough to end the sharks’ reign of terror.

Adaptations:

Alluring Horn: By swimming near another fish, you will prevent any attacks from hitting. (This functions as a guard.)

You are...

a Prime Swordfish

Although your jaws are weak, you have no real need to do damage with them, as you have evolved a lovely stabbing implement on your face. You know this is a clear advantage over relying on jaws to do damage. You know this because everyone who argued with you died of multiple stab-wounds to the face.

Adaptations:

Sharp Horn: Stab another fish for 10 Damage.

You are...

a Sailing Fish

You are one of the fastest fish on the ocean, thanks in part to your cutting edge Dorsal Fin. Other fish are quite jealous. Including the sharks, unfortunately. They have been surrounding your fellows and picking them off. You must use your speed and political savvy to rally the fish to victory over the monsters.

Adaptations:

Sailing Dorsal Fin: You speedy tail allows you to travel quickly, spreading your opinion to more of the ocean than other fish are able to. This gives you +1 to all of your votes.

You are...

an Anemone

You were content to just sit around and hang out. You even evolved stinging cells to stun passing creatures so you wouldn’t need to move. Now there’s a war on and just sitting around isn’t a viable strategy anymore. Well you won’t take this sitting down. (As much as you’d like to)

Adaptations:

Sting: You may slap a target with your stinging cells. This will cause them to convulse in agony, and be unable to take an action.

You are...

a Starfish

You have tried explaining to the sharks that you aren’t actually a fish and should be left out of the war for that reason. You even used small words so they’d understand you. The sharks somehow took offense to that. Morons...

Adaptations:

Tight Grip: Your arms are very strong enabling you to latch onto any other fish so tight they cannot dislodge you. This will enable you to see every action they take at night.

You are...

a Parasite

Parasite is such a harsh word. You prefer the term mutualism, even though it is horribly incorrect to apply it to what you do. What you do is attach your specialized jaws to your prey, taking some of their Evo.P and life. Under normal circumstances, everyone would probably be hunting you, but now they are hoping to use you against the sharks.

Adaptations:

Parasitism: Use your specialized jaws to attach to another fish. This will cause 6 Bite Damage, and you will steal 20% of their Evo P income for the night.

You are...

a Dinichthys

Hmph. Sharks... Puny little creatures with barely noticeable bites. This world is governed by survival of the fittest. The Sharks shouldn’t make waves when they are so woefully outclassed.

Adaptations:

Dinichthys' Jaws: Inflicts 45 Damage on your target. Show the world what the word bite really means!

SK
    You are...

An Ambitious Dinichthys

Hmph. Sharks... Puny little creatures with barely noticeable bites. Barely better than the fish. This world is governed by survival of the fittest. The Sharks shouldn’t make waves when they are so woefully outclassed. They do have the right idea about the fish though, they need to learn some respect as well...

Adaptations:

Dinichthys' Jaws: Inflicts 45 Damage on your target. Show the world what the word bite really means!

Armored Body: Reduce Damage Taken by bite attacks by 1/3

Win condition: Eat everything...

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Adult Sharks were the worst sharks!

ObiFett on
  • Options
    YES DO MORE. I WANNA BE A SPIDER MONKEY

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: Β»
    Adult Sharks were the worst sharks!

:lol: that's funny

Steam profile
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    We were though!

Both in how we performed and in our abilities...

• Options
    No I know, I'm agreeing (with respect to your abilities, not how you performed). I think it's funny the adults were the least powerful roles.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Parents just don't understand

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I feel sorry for the amber jellyfish, that seems like the weakest of upgrades considering how few people had stings. I'd gladly sign up for the upcoming amphibians vs bugs match.

Seems to me the main character in EVO is the serial killer though, killing sharks and fish alike for their delicious floating meat. If he's now dead, who will stop the queen bee?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    landsharks

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I cut the amber jellyfish role, it was the weakest. I thought more people would go with stinging cells, although I guess no one knew what they did since the two that started with them were kind of quiet.

Heh, I had briefly considered making all the orginal fish serial killers, in keeping with the game protagonist. Ah first drafts.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited July 2012
    jdarksun wrote: Β»
    Bluecyan wrote: Β»
    I feel sorry for the amber jellyfish, that seems like the weakest of upgrades considering how few people had stings. I'd gladly sign up for the upcoming amphibians vs bugs match.

Seems to me the main character in EVO is the serial killer though, killing sharks and fish alike for their delicious floating meat. If he's now dead, who will stop the queen bee?
    Walking sharks.

Street-sharks.jpg

Erin The Red on
  • Options
    We were though!

The adults were more complacent/trying to balance it out.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    There was no network proboard because of my decision to keep my contact with saber/lucedes segmented from my contact with Slym. While I was 99% sure Slym was what he said he was it was honestly a little easier that way for me.

I seered Orange Soda night two, who did nothing. (Not a good choice based on stuff in game but I hadn't seen OS in a while and wanted to work with him. Then slym revealed and OS withdrew so whatever.)
    I seered Ecco using cladoslache jaws on saber night 3. Slym chose Ecco as a target, so I won't take credit for that.
    We discussed a number of targets on night 4. Saber wanted Figgy or Shalmelo (I think). Slym wanted Chamberlain. I decided on Chamberlain and saw him shark attack Shiny New Toys.

I really believed Saber, Slym, and I were going to win this game going away at that point. But then Slym had to go camping, Lucedes went inactive, and I got eaten. Really feels like the one that got away.

@Teucrian: Nope, I started with a busdriver ability. I busdrove @Bedlam and @TheRoadVirus the first day, thinking it would protect TRV (who would bite someone dying to the vote, after all?). Turned out to hurt TRV :(
    You underestimate how much people want me dead :P

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    We were though!

Oh come on, I didn't die that quickly.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    We were though!

Oh come on, I didn't die that quickly.

Yeah, I was the first one to bite the dust and if I had lived I might have lived long enough to actually evolve and use parasitic jaws. :cry:

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get a url without using right click -> properties for an image?

Its disabled on library computers and theres no way I can save a file, but am interested in changing my avatar.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    looking at the page's html?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: Β»
    Is there a way to get a url without using right click -> properties for an image?

Its disabled on library computers and theres no way I can save a file, but am interested in changing my avatar.

Stolen shamelessly from a website
    Try this... Go to the webpage, but don't highlight the pictures (maximize the screen). Next simultaneously press these keys "Shift Key+ Alt+ and the Print Screen (next to F12 Key on top of keyboard) buttons. Now open up the program you wish to paste into (like MS Word) and use ctrl+V or to paste it. Note: you might get a message stating that you are about to switch to High Resolution. You'll have to disable that function in order to use the Print Screen feature. After you paste the picture (depeding on which program you paste into), you can crop and resize the image. Hope this works for you :-)

• Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    Thanks 38thdoe for running. I had fun, despite being totally played by the mafia :P

I made a conscious effort in this game to start networking early, trust my luck to pick out a mafia to start talking to at random!
    I wonder if I was killed as ecco was eating the vote or because I started to question Jdark that day. I will have to read the proboards I suppose.

• Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular

Sorry for wasting your action! I forgot I was going out of town lololol. And I wasn't about to attack randomly before anyone knew anything.