As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    For Linkshell Just join Aqua or Gilgamesh. PA Linkshell died about a year ago :x

This seems unnecessarily divisive.

Am I wrong in my understanding that most people would have ended up on Masamune, after the merges, who played before? So when 2.0 if people reactivate, they'll be on Masamune?

FFXI is frustrating enough to try to get playing with new players from PA because even though most of the entirety of the PA presence was on Carbuncle off the bat, over the years a few people moved to other servers (or started there) to play with friends or whatever, and when someone would pop into the thread and say "hey, where are people playing?" they'd get wildly different answers, like Asura or Siren or where ever the hell, and so new players would go there, and instead of having a small, but enjoyable, community set up in one place, people are all spread out and are less likely to stick around because the community isn't there.

I mean, hey, I could be wrong, I didn't play at launch at all. I do recall some LS drama, but I wasn't following it, and I don't care.

All I'm saying is that is if the majority of players, when they return, will be on Masamune, that we shouldn't be telling other new players to go somewhere else just because that's where you happened to go.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Ok. What is up with the red orb in the sky? Something to do with the reboot?

• Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    Gilgamesh is an LS not a server. Everyone that didn't manually go elsewhere will be on Masamune.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
    edited July 2012
    I definitely do not have the patience for the mining and fishing in this game. Totally not doing that.

I am doing the main quest (Golden Sacrifices) now. It popped up at level 8. I thought I would have to be level 10.

Krathoon on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    For Linkshell Just join Aqua or Gilgamesh. PA Linkshell died about a year ago :x

Am I wrong in my understanding that most people would have ended up on Masamune, after the merges, who played before? So when 2.0 if people reactivate, they'll be on Masamune?

FFXI is frustrating enough to try to get playing with new players from PA because even though most of the entirety of the PA presence was on Carbuncle off the bat, over the years a few people moved to other servers (or started there) to play with friends or whatever, and when someone would pop into the thread and say "hey, where are people playing?" they'd get wildly different answers, like Asura or Siren or where ever the hell, and so new players would go there, and instead of having a small, but enjoyable, community set up in one place, people are all spread out and are less likely to stick around because the community isn't there.

I mean, hey, I could be wrong, I didn't play at launch at all. I do recall some LS drama, but I wasn't following it, and I don't care.

All I'm saying is that is if the majority of players, when they return, will be on Masamune, that we shouldn't be telling other new players to go somewhere else just because that's where you happened to go.

Yikes! What HK said... The dead PA linkshell merged with Aqua a long time ago, then aqua started dying and several of us went into Gilgamesh. There is a third LS called Shadow Skill but unless you are friends with the leader you most likely wont get in.

Was just trying to let everyone know where the handful of those who still played ended up.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    I'll be best migrating to a more EU populated server when they change to 2.0
    Don't think I'll get to do group content very much otherwise

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind

Yikes! What HK said... The dead PA linkshell merged with Aqua a long time ago, then aqua started dying and several of us went into Gilgamesh. There is a third LS called Shadow Skill but unless you are friends with the leader you most likely wont get in.

Was just trying to let everyone know where the handful of those who still played ended up.

Ah, hey, ok. Sorry about that mate. I had been abruptly woken up by my daughter and was waiting for my wife to get up to help her, so I might have been a bit grouchy with my post.

Misunderstanding on my part, so my bad.

edited July 2012
    Since Ul'dah's inn is not working, I had to run over to Limsa. I thought I had a teleport there, but I guess not.

Riding the boat is weird. There is nothing to do.

Krathoon on
    The inn isn't working? What do you mean?

The inn in ul'dah works fine for me. The one in Limsa Lamosa too.

I believe you have to do a quest (really short) for the innkeepers in each city though before you can access it. I think the quest opened up at 10? ish?

I did the quest, but the guy said it is not open yet.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    He should direct you to the back entrance.

Ok. Well, I put my character to bed in Limsa.

I took a look at the trailer and the red meteor is v2.0. It will be neat to see how dark things get.

Ok, I'm going to need some assistance on Masamune in completing a couple of group quests.

One is level 25+ (required) so I probably only need 1 person to assist with that one. (Imperial devices)

The other is level 30+, my Dragoon quest

Anyone that's able to assist, let me know what day and what sort of time.

PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular

Ah, hey, ok. Sorry about that mate. I had been abruptly woken up by my daughter and was waiting for my wife to get up to help her, so I might have been a bit grouchy with my post.

Misunderstanding on my part, so my bad.

no worries, just trying to help out the gang to find a home. =)

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    S-Starwind wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going to need some assistance on Masamune in completing a couple of group quests.

One is level 25+ (required) so I probably only need 1 person to assist with that one. (Imperial devices)

The other is level 30+, my Dragoon quest

Anyone that's able to assist, let me know what day and what sort of time.

Can't help yet, but I think I'm getting there? 21 atm, Gladiator. And that's it :lol:

I've been dilligently doing every quest I come across, then I got sent to limsa and zomg more quests.

It's hard to tell, before you take them, which are "real" quests, and not just some random "feed 4 people cake" crap.

Does anyone know what levels all the "story" quests are, so I know when to expect them?

And should I get into the Grand Company stuff asap, or is it something I should put off. Like...are they story based stuff, or will it just be filler and the story stuff will just come with levels?

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    if you're remotely over 25 you will crush the imperial devices quest. the dragoon quest isn't very hard either with second wind, blood bath and similar.

steam_sig.png
    if you're remotely over 25 you will crush the imperial devices quest. the dragoon quest isn't very hard either with second wind, blood bath and similar.

steam_sig.png
  • QuantaQuanta Registered User regular
    I think I'll start playing again, now that we're finally on the threshold of 2.0. How have things been since February? :O

Did Imperial devices earlier today, found people shouting for it as I was handing in a quest at Uldah. Wouldn't let me enter without a party.
    The Dragoon one I attempted solo, but was taking too much damage too quickly with second wind and protect. Fell before I could kill anything. I'm at level 40.
    I do need a new lance/spear but the level 40 ones are apparently GC vendor only, and I dont have enough marks for it.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    If you can find a crafter to make a mithril lance, that should be level 40. It takes a 41+ carpenter though.

I really should work on my carpenter, thats where all the lance love is, think I stopped at mid teens, maybe almost 20.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2012
    Found one in Uldah, bought. Going to take a shot at the dragoon quest again.

EDIT: Nope, still cant. Cant get the big crab down before I die, there's just too much damage coming at me.

S-Starwind on
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    edited July 2012
    so are the job quests difficult, in general? I was hoping to unlock Paladin at some point.

EDIT: Also do quests not indicate if they're for groups or not? I got one outside of Limsa last night for some place called Shlopshae or some nonsense, and when I went in initially things were lower level, but there were a ton of enemies; but got so dense (enemy wise) that even when one 16 aggroed (I was 21), like 5 others would too and it got to be too much.

It was apparently an "instance" or FFXIV's version of it? but there wasn't any indication in the quest text that that was the case.

The Dude With Herpes on

Usually, a quest will mention in your Journal that you can bring up to, for example, 3 people to assist you. and then might say that it's recommended to do so.
    For quests involving dungeons, it will specifically say that you need a light party of (at least?) 4 people.
    This quest tells me it's recommended to bring people along, but it's a level 30 quest and I'm 40, so I didn't think it'd be that necessary.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • CodeRedCodeRed Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I'm giving this game a shot. Have a toon on Masamune named Fade Blackstone. pls add me, it's so lonely soloing ;3

• GooglywormGooglyworm Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'll help you out Starwind, just add remy winchester as a friend and catch me in game. That goes for anyone needing help too.

Googlyworm on
    edited July 2012
    I'm pretty sure you're on my list but nobody is ever on when I'm playing. Feels like we'd have to specify a time. For 1 little quest, that just seems silly.

S-Starwind on
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    Galedrid Kingshand is my character in XIV. I split my time up between a lot of games atm though. After I hit 30 and get that horn, I'm not sure how much more I'll do before 2.0 hits.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have an extra security token that needs a good home. I would like it to go to someone that is going to be around for a while. You guys hash it out and decide who among you would be best.

I'll mail it on my dime. I ask that the one you all select be a team player and consider making a donation to Child's Play of any amount; but this is not a requirement.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • CodeRedCodeRed Registered User regular
    Quite the gesture Good Guy Bri. Actually I still have my security token I used from FFXI but I signed up for a new square enix account to play 14. Anyway, I can use them together?

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It would probably be better to see if square could merge those accounts? I use the same token for both games.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Hmm. What's going on with this game, now? It's been like, a year.

What times are good for you starwind? Start my rest days tomorrow, should be pretty available.

I get home around 8pm GMT, which is now BST actually and I must sleep at 1am. So weekdays are between those times. I can do most times at the weekends, except this Saturday as I'll be working again, so the times above will apply there.

Steam ID - The Starwind
    I'll try get on after 8 tomorrow then. Will shout you in game.

Appreciate it.
    With all the time spent at work it does mean I have a constant supply of bonus exp. Shouldn't take me long to reach 50 at this rate.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    What are the rules about asking for a possible Friend code someone might have laying around? Been itching to try the game, and will probably end up buying it anyways but really wanted to try it first. Guessing it's quite a long shot hoping someone still has one of those codes still around.

edited August 2012
    Tonight I decided to finally dork with my Retainer and set up a bazaar for all the crap filling up my inventory.

Wow did SE screw the pooch with the market system.

Every single ward in Ul'dah is full, you literally cannot place your retainer. "Hilariously", you can hardly find anything in the markets either because no one can place their fucking retainer and most of the retainers in there just have some shit listed for 9,999,999 just so they don't get removed.

Awesome.

I'm not sure I'm even going to bother trying to set it up in Limsa or Grid. I suspect it's the same full situation there.

The Dude With Herpes on

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It's not, Ul'dah is the Jeuno of XIV. You shouldn't have any trouble setting up shop in Limsa or Grid.

Neurotika on
    Yeah. Loads of space in Gridania markets. Far less shoppers though.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    You could also rent a table in the ul'dah wards for 500gil a day. Usually you can find an open one in any of the wards. It's worth it since no one checks the Limsa or grid wards so you'll sell much more

As far as finding stuff you really just have to use the search function and by from there, no reason to check out every retainer