As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Prime] The Fifth Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament [Full!]

• CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    oh boy, just read through this entire thread. and i am far too excited to get this thing rolling

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    I gotta come up with a great Hufflepuff costume, I'm thinking Japanese Schoolgirl style. Suddenly it looks like a great thing my brother got me a wicked cool Hufflepuff pin.
    I can't find a pic small enough to link, but here is a link to a site that sells the set of all the pins.
    I got the pin a year or two before the movies came out, and it's lived on my purse/messenger bag ever since.

There used to be a great web page that had detailed info on how to build a Harry Potter style outfit for about $50. Sadly, mainstream has hit and I can't find the link since it's buried under dozens of "professional" made-in-china costume kits.

We made ours from clothing and other items we purchased at Goodwill. The hardest part was the robe, which were made from a couple of bedsheets (also from Goodwill) and a bottle of gold and a bottle of black RIT dye, plus about 6 hours in front of a sewing machine.

We did buy the ties new from eBay for $10 each.
    haha, thanks. I was aiming for something much simpler. I already have two cosplay outfits i"m bringing. This is just gonna be a throw together hufflepuff-ish nod of an outfit. Thanks though for the ideas!

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • anifirebirdanifirebird Registered User regular
    Ok, can anyone explain this better to me?

What's the point? What would I do?

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Muggle-Terms: When your portion of the house meets another portion of a different house, you do what is called a wizard's duel. There will be scorecards that you will receive to explain what the duel is (ie buying a beer and shot of choice, make opponent drink.) It is easier to choose your opponent PRIOR to entering the bar and have your money/choice of liquor at the ready. Each bar has different duels and different portion of houses to compete against.

TL;DR - The true point is to get drunk (if desired or to know your limit) and have fun with friends, both old and new.

Some houses will also be doing auctions with gifts of Harry Potter related or alcohol paraphernalia related (mainly shot-glasses) with ALL proceeds going to Child's Play.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    So, do the houses have their, um, whatcha-ma-call-ems? Tributes? Champions? Some that do the majority of the drinking for the house points?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    Wrong series.

• Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    So, do the houses have their, um, whatcha-ma-call-ems? Tributes? Champions? Some that do the majority of the drinking for the house points?

Nope, the drinking portion of the evening is scored on an entirely individual basis - the house system is in place less as a 'teams' sort of deal as it is simply to help make managing 100 drunk (in some cases VERY drunk) witches and wizards a little bit easier. Though as CaptainTadpole mentioned, there are also some auctions, and donations accepted for CP, and the house/side that raises the most over the course of the evening gets special recognition for that.
    Wrong series.

Well, 'champions' would be the right series, though it would have been last year. (Also, now I've got ideas running through my head for a Hunger Games-themed crawl. xD)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The best analogy for house points would be donations to child's play. That's how the night is scored, and how the triwizard cup is awarded.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular

Nope, the drinking portion of the evening is scored on an entirely individual basis - the house system is in place less as a 'teams' sort of deal as it is simply to help make managing 100 drunk (in some cases VERY drunk) witches and wizards a little bit easier. Though as CaptainTadpole mentioned, there are also some auctions, and donations accepted for CP, and the house/side that raises the most over the course of the evening gets special recognition for that.
    Wrong series.

Well, 'champions' would be the right series, though it would have been last year. (Also, now I've got ideas running through my head for a Hunger Games-themed crawl. xD)

A hunger games theme would be awesome, but part of the fun with the current theme is having dozens of costumed wizards/witches traipsing through the U-district. Watching the faces of people in resteraunts and shoppes as we all walk by in full robes and uniforms definitely makes up for the effort it took to assemble the outfits!

26904.png
  • Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »

Wrong series.

A hunger games theme would be awesome, but part of the fun with the current theme is having dozens of costumed wizards/witches traipsing through the U-district. Watching the faces of people in resteraunts and shoppes as we all walk by in full robes and uniforms definitely makes up for the effort it took to assemble the outfits!

Oh, I'm not even close to suggesting ~replacing~ the TWDT with a Hunger Games themed pub crawl. Never would. But there can never be too many pub crawls, and it intrigues me as a possible theme for a new one. =)

haha, i've done it now. lols.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • germboygermboy Registered User new member
    Count me in. It'll be time 3 for me- first time, I was dressed as Gordon Freeman, and ended up having drinks with someone from Valve. Best. Night. Ever.

• SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    Hey Ravenclaw OotPs! (Even though you don't know who you are yet.) I've got some news. I am stepping back to head girl this year and giving Skarsol a chance to lead. Why, you ask? Because I want to keep leadership fresh. I don't want to re-use the same tired ideas and I certainly don't want our portion of the crawl to be the same, year after year. Ravenclaw needs new ideas and new energy. So please welcome Skarsol as our HoH and our two new additions to leadership, Wormdundee and Zerzhul, who will be sharing the position of head boy. I am really looking forward to this year.

Once registration opens and you find yourself on Ravenclaw OotP, if you have anything to donate to our yearly auction or have any ideas on how to make this the best year yet for us, please pm one of us.

See you soon!!

CA CAAWW!!

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    She just wants me to do all the work. :(

why are you smelling it?
  • afeil117afeil117 Registered User regular
    Wait, is there a correlation between OotP and light beer to DE and dark beer? If that is the case, I need to go DE hard.

Rocko Is NOT Amused!
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Last year the first challenge was "take a light/dark beer/shot for ever year, plus this one, of the TWDT you've done". There might've been other light/dark challenges, but all I remember was the 4 shots of peach schnapps to start the night. *shudder*

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
    afeil117 wrote: »
    Wait, is there a correlation between OotP and light beer to DE and dark beer? If that is the case, I need to go DE hard.

There's always Black IPAs and Pale stouts!

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    It might be the Order for me... Vodka with a lager-back is my kind of spell!

And just to get more into the theme, I've added a makeshift wand holster to the Foreigner Belt.

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • nrrdgrrlnrrdgrrl Registered User regular
    I'm so excited, only 5 more days till Harry's birthday! I'm thinking of going for Slytherin, that way when I make someone drink something nasty, it's okay. Because I'll be in Slytherin's house. And that's how they do it!

• nerdeannenerdeanne seattle, waRegistered User new member
    This will be my first triwiz! Can't wait to dress up and meet fellow hp nerds! :)

• UnarmedOracleUnarmedOracle Evolution's Finest Hour Registered User regular
    So, this will be my first PAX and some veteran friends said that this was among THE events to attend. I know they'll be repping Ravenclaw and I'm inclined to join them. I'm really looking forward to this, and can't wait!

signature.jpg
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    My Hufflepuff costume consists of mainly a cute skirt and knee-high stripey socks. Pair with color-appropriate tshirt and cardigan and I am ready to roll with mah 'puffs.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    @akjak
    I thought of doing something like that. I'm aiming for Hufflepuff too. I found a wicked cool top last night. But You wouldn't believe how hard it is to find a short pleated/school girl skirt!

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • UlduricUlduric Registered User regular
    This will be the first PAX I can legally drink in the states so this is a must. Are there any breweries local to Seattle and area who's wares you fine locals can recommend?

• Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ulduric wrote: »
    This will be the first PAX I can legally drink in the states so this is a must. Are there any breweries local to Seattle and area who's wares you fine locals can recommend?

This is probably what you're looking for.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Menolly07 wrote: »

That event is sold out, but I'm sure Lexi will still be glad to hand you the list for you to check those breweries out on your own time.

In thread related news, gaze upon my avatar in fear and wonderment! There's a Slytherin house badge on the green shirt you can't see in the pic. :D

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • HarvPHarvP Registered User new member
    So uh, what are the test tickets on the site?

HarvP wrote: »
    So uh, what are the test tickets on the site?

Exactly what it says on the tin. Atlus just wanted to make sure the page would work when it launched for realzies in a few days.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • lizpiratelizpirate Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Ordered black graduation robes off of ebay--I'm so excited!

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Question, I have three more people in my group. Only one wants to participate on a team with me while the other two just want to have some drinks and hang with PAX people. Is it cool for the other two to not be registered but just come along with a group to chill or is registration a must?

Also, hello! I am not new to the forums just this event (finally 21!!) I hope to join the OotP Ravenclaw bunch :) I have had a full Ravenclaw uniform for years now and really hope I get that team lol.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Registration is a must, because the group sizes need to be kept down so that people can actually get into the bars and order drinks. If a 50 person group suddenly has 10+ extra people attached to it, somebody's probably getting screwed out of drinking.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    I can't wait!

<ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • WestrunnerWestrunner Steam's Dirty Little Whore Mojave Desert, NVRegistered User regular
    Any great places to get geared up for first timers?

TWDT12: Gryffindor - OotP TWDT14: Gryffindor - OotP
  • LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    PAX may need to get bigger because there's now too much fun stuff to do before the damn thing even starts. I have been forced to choose between this and the Kris and Scott Live Dinner/Show, and I chose Kris and Scott. I may have to start alternating what community stuff I do at PAX each year.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Menolly07 wrote: »

That event is sold out, but I'm sure Lexi will still be glad to hand you the list for you to check those breweries out on your own time.

Yup, sold out, but the OP on the beer crawl has a great list with website links to all sorts of local breweries. If you scroll down to the Tour Stops you'll see them.

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Registration is a must, because the group sizes need to be kept down so that people can actually get into the bars and order drinks. If a 50 person group suddenly has 10+ extra people attached to it, somebody's probably getting screwed out of drinking.

I understand the need for registration :) just wanted to make sure about it before we did anything.

I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
    whypick1 wrote: »

There's also the issue of bar fire codes. Too many people just tagging along for funsies can cause the bar to go over its maximum occupancy.
    Westrunner wrote: »
    Any great places to get geared up for first timers?
    Geared up with a costume?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    can't wait to show off my outfit, shooting for Ravenclaw DE

quick question, are we at these bars long enough to play other bar/drinking games?

Crogoth wrote: »
    can't wait to show off my outfit, shooting for Ravenclaw DE

quick question, are we at these bars long enough to play other bar/drinking games?
    Not really at the challenge bars (and they're packed to the gills anyway), but at the starting bar and the ending bar where it's just your house hanging out there's a decent amount of goof off time.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    While I'm in the middle of ordering buttons, here's the preview of all of them:

Gryffindor Button
    gryalt.jpg

Slytherin Button
    slytho.jpg

Ravenclaw Button
    ravenc.jpg

Hufflepuff Button
    huffle.jpg

Completion Button
    completionm.jpg

Horcrux Bonus Buttons
    crux1.jpg
    crux2.jpg
    crux3.jpg
    crux4.jpg

Unfortunately I just noticed that the scorecards need a slight touch up. Once that gets fixed I'll post those as well.

This discussion has been closed.