As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Browser Advice

Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm getting errors all the time with IE, yeah I still use it, I keep getting the "a problem caused ie to close and reopen" error and I have all around sluggishness. I was thinking it's time to switch to a better one, one hopefully more secure and convenient. Opinions on which one?

Gigazombie Cybermage on

• Options
    PentaghostPentaghost Classification: NOT SO BAD The Southern OracleRegistered User regular
    I've been using Opera for around 6 months and it hasn't given me any problems.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Chrome seems to be the fastest of the currently-available options.

I haven't fucked around with Opera in quite some time, and I still use Firefox and IE both, but Chrome is my main go-to browser.

What version of IE do you use? Have you tried just updating that?

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, I have the most recent update. I think I'll try Chrome

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    If you use a Firefox derivative (I've personally been using SeaMonkey for years) you have access to all sorts of useful addons. NoScript is the big one I care about. Firefox (or any browser based off of it) + NoScript means that by default, none of those malicious scripts that keep giving everyone malware will be able to run. Only sites you personally allow to run scripts will be able to run them. It's kind of inconvenient at first because you do need to go allow all your common websites to run scripts, but once you're done with that you'll just occasionally need to allow a site to make it work (you can allow them temporarily if you're not sure about the site). With NoScript on, you should almost never need to worry about the drive-by attacks (getting viruses/malware/etc. from just visiting a regular website) which are the most common means of infection, because even when a safe site is compromised, the scripts are usually running from a separate site, so you're still safe because you won't have allowed that site. I would personally never, on a regular basis, use a browser without NoScript (and as far as I'm aware, only Firefox and its kin have an addon like this to date) because it's so much safer to browse with it on.

I've never really been a fan of Firefox's interface for some reason, so for that and a few other reasons I've been using SeaMonkey for a very long time. SeaMonkey used to be known as the Mozilla Suite and on top of the browser it includes a full-featured e-mail client (which I prefer using over webmail clients), as well as an HTML composer and IRC client (but these components are all hidden off in the corner if you don't want to use them). Anyway, it's more easily customizable than Firefox, but fully compatible with all the same websites that work in Firefox. It also updates every time Firefox is updated. I've used Firefox every once in a while myself, and it's not bad, but I still stick with SeaMonkey because I feel it just works better. It's all up to personal preference, so go ahead and give it a shot.

Oh, for what it's worth, I've used Opera and it's alright. No experience with Chrome yet.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I use Opera.. it's pretty much the only one that can handle my browsing habits.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    Chrome. Hands down.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would try using Firefox, Opera, and Chrome for a week each and see which fits your browsing habits better. Personally I use Chrome and never find myself wanting to try something else.

• Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    I'm a web developer and use a lot of browsers very often, imo, Chrome is far and away the best browser currently.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Chrome.

Or Opera, I hear that's pretty good.

But really, Chrome. It's so much better.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Chrome is elegant minimalism. Does exactly what you need and no more so no wasted space or speed on buttons and menus you never use. And if you feel something is missing you can ususally add it in.

On the other hand my wife loves her whojits and gizmos so Firefox is the way for her.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I use chrome/firefox, I prefer chrome. Firefox has a bit larger addon variety, but chrome seems to be, by far, the smallest footprint of all the browsers. It updates itself too, which is nice, and integrates well with gmail and all their apps (and there's a way to have bookmarks follow you).

Plus the iPhone version of Chrome is amazing.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    avoid the hammers and fireballs, jump on the plunger at the right side of the creen

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I use chrome/firefox, I prefer chrome. Firefox has a bit larger addon variety, but chrome seems to be, by far, the smallest footprint of all the browsers. It updates itself too, which is nice, and integrates well with gmail and all their apps (and there's a way to have bookmarks follow you).

That's worth emphasizing. If you have an iPhone or iPad or whatnot, you can use Chrome on those and your computer and it will sync up your bookmarks and history and such. And Chrome is just the most pleasant experience on computer/mobile anyways, so it all works out :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

That's worth emphasizing. If you have an iPhone or iPad or whatnot, you can use Chrome on those and your computer and it will sync up your bookmarks and history and such. And Chrome is just the most pleasant experience on computer/mobile anyways, so it all works out :P

Same for Android, with even further functionality. Chrome's bookmark manager/easy account access from anywhere makes it absolutely the best.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm liking chrome pretty good so far.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Opera is pretty much my goto browser for me, but like cars browsers are a thing of personal choice. I second the option of "test driving" the other browsers adn you can make an informed decision based off your experiences with your needs.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Can you finally save changing the font size on Chrome? That's the only reason I don't like to use it. I like to sit wayyyy back in my computer chair while browsing and I'd change the font to be a comfortable size and then it would reset the second I changed pages.

Super annoying.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Opera Opera Opera!

• Options
    Dr. GeroDr. Gero Registered User regular
    I use Firefox but only for AdBlock Plus and the option to pin permanent tabs. Does Chrome have any extensions like these?

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I always suggest Opera, but as a random suggestion, how about QupZilla?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Crystal2112Crystal2112 Registered User regular
    Firefox or Chrome.

Those are the only two browsers that have ever been good to me.