As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

UK/English/Britsh/Europaxers Meet-up

MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX General Discussion
Hi everyone! I met a number of fantastic UK/Europaxers while at East this year. I, along with a group of around 5-6 other PAXers (e.g. @Pascual, @kropotkin), live in London, and meet up regularly for drinks, games, and general fun!

I know there were a couple of you who wanted to join in, but may have lost my contact details. Any London/UK/Euro PAXers please drop a line in here and come join in!

Moe Fwacky on

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have to say I am jealous of you fine Europeans who get to hang out with this sexy beast on the regular. Meles is a pretty fantastic dude.

Nullzone on
  • BritalityBritality Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    I have to say I am jealous of you fine Europeans who get to hang out with this sexy beast on the regular. Meles is a pretty fantastic dude.

QFT. I'm also just jealous because you're all European. >.>

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Ooooh, I'm coming to PAX Prime again, I'm also down in London for the Olympics (as a volunteer), so if you're doing anything late July, early August, count me in!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Ooooh, I'm coming to PAX Prime again, I'm also down in London for the Olympics (as a volunteer), so if you're doing anything late July, early August, count me in!

A Private Bobcat has been dispatched with contact details. Look for it at first light on the third day. Look to the east.

Replied!

• TangoTango Registered User regular
    I'm a Europaxer, but I defected to the OTHER SIDE, and live in the US now. So I suppose I'll just see you all at PAX! :D

Tango wrote: »
    I'm a Europaxer, but I defected to the OTHER SIDE, and live in the US now. So I suppose I'll just see you all at PAX! :D

Thank goodness, because @Tango is just the WORST. I hear he has the least fashionable tailoring of any enforcer at PAX.

• MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    I'm a PAXer from the better side of the UK. North of the border. =P

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'll send flowers...or maybe a macaroni and haggis pie? :P

• kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular

By 'fantastic' I can only conclude that you're talking in code. What you actually mean is that he is quite evil and should not be trusted. Ever. Oh and he is one of the DM's in our UK PAX gaming group. Hence the evil references...

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

MelesMeles wrote: »

Oh, I'm so sorry. I'll send flowers...or maybe a macaroni and haggis pie? :P

Only if it's fried!

• zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Does macaroni and haggis pie actually exist? It sounds delicious, and if it doesn't I may have to try to make it. At least I have 2 more years to figure it out before I go back to the land of bad milk chocolate and no haggis (ie. the US).

Also, yay for another person living north of the border!

kropotkin wrote: »

By 'fantastic' I can only conclude that you're talking in code. What you actually mean is that he is quite evil and should not be trusted. Ever. Oh and he is one of the DM's in our UK PAX gaming group. Hence the evil references...

Mmm, I can practically taste the fear.

I'm so proud of you, Meles. *wipes tear from eye*

zezspecs wrote: »
    Does macaroni and haggis pie actually exist? It sounds delicious, and if it doesn't I may have to try to make it. At least I have 2 more years to figure it out before I go back to the land of bad milk chocolate and no haggis (ie. the US).

Also, yay for another person living north of the border!

I've never heard of the two together...

Mmm, I can practically taste the fear.

I'm so proud of you, Meles. *wipes tear from eye*

Not.Helping.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular

heh as am I - well originally anyway I live in the West Midlands these days but ah well
    first time PAX'er this year (normally my international holiday is reserved for Blizzcon but that ain't happening this year so thought I'd check this out)

Oh man, flights just went up a lot.

What are you guys doing to get there?

I'm going via Vancouver as I'm combining the trip with visiting some family up there (vancouver sun-thur, then pax thur to mon and then back up to Vancouver for the mon-sat) got Virgin flights for £560(ish I think it was) from Heathrow then its around $120 (maybe a bit more but who cares lol) return for the ferry from Vancouver to Seattle :)

We're flying with United Airlines, via Newark on the way out and Washington on the way back, but we're going to be in Seattle for 2 weeks - Sat 24th Aug til Sat 8th Sept. If you can, its cheaper to fly on a Saturday. I booked through Expedia as they were the cheapest and I'm boycotting Asda because they support workfare.

I generally fly with United all the time to build up reward mileage since I fly back and forth frequently for school, but I saved quite a bit of money on one of the return flights to the UK by landing in a nearby city and taking the train in. If you're looking to save money on the flight and don't mind the extra travel time, definitely check out alternate travel modes for part of the route.

Yeah I was intending on going on United via Newark on the 30th then back on 14th/15th September. It was £604 yesterday. Today, £920.

Yeah I was intending on going on United via Newark on the 30th then back on 14th/15th September. It was £604 yesterday. Today, £920.

That is a rather large price bump. O.o I'll have to keep tabs on the prices. I thought the increase I saw for my school holiday tickets went up just because it was summer.

The prices may well go down later on - I checked my tickets on virgin to vancouver in the afternoon and the saturday return flight I have now was £100+ more expensive than it was 4 hours later when I actually sat down to book it (which was an awesome thing as I had originally been going to get the sunday return flight which would have meant another day off work lol)

also you have to remember we probably don't just have the 'normal' summer price increases this year - there is some sort of 'olympic games' or something going on - and we would be fools to believe that airlines haven't uppped all the transatlantic flight costs for july/august because of that *dons tinfoil hat* :)

I'd forgotten about the Olympics. I'm used to an August increase due to Fringe Festival. Oi. Silly Olympics.

Flights will always be cheaper on Tuesday and Wednesday, particularly for US-based airlines; that's when they run their sales and everyone tries to out-sale their competitors. On Thursday, they go back up to a higher price point to take advantage of the fact that people like to plan vacations as their week winds down.

tl;dr- Wait to shop flights until Tuesday/Wednesday for the best prices.

Just a heads up for anyone going from Britain. Canadian Affair have a deal on where if you fly from Gatwick to Vancouver anytime in August and back in September, you can get flights for less than £450.

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Just a heads up for anyone going from Britain. Canadian Affair have a deal on where if you fly from Gatwick to Vancouver anytime in August and back in September, you can get flights for less than £450.

That sounds like an awesome deal. I live in Seattle, so flying out of Vancouver is totally doable. Buuuuuuuuuut, anytime in August and back in September is right during PAX :/

Yeah, fly in anytime up to 2 weeks before PAX and fly out anytime 2 weeks after PAX...

• douglasbouttelldouglasbouttell Glasgow, UKRegistered User regular
    Well I guess since I am going to PAX for the first time thie year I should post huh...

Well I am like @MarkWebster here and live up north in the bonnie ol' land of Scotland.

I was able to find flights from Glasgow without having to go through a London airport. I got a Glasgow to Seattle via Philadelphia which US Airways run over the summer which I got for £680 (they went down in price a little after but not by a lot). I'm just flying in on the Tuesday night so that I have Wednesday to (hopefully) meet up with people and get settled.

As I've said I am totally new to PAX so help and stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Douglas Bouttell: Geek, Engineer, Weirdo

PAX East 2013 Status
    Hotel: Waterfront Westin; Flight: Booked; Pass: Purchased; Suitcase: Packed

PAX Prime 2012 Status: Level Complete
    TWDT'12: Hufflepuff OotP
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    So this is a bit of a reverse post - we're heading across the pond to Europe for 2 weeks at the end of September. If there's anyone in or near London who might be willing to show us around for the day or two we'll be there, or if there's a get together during that time, we'd love it!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    So this is a bit of a reverse post - we're heading across the pond to Europe for 2 weeks at the end of September. If there's anyone in or near London who might be willing to show us around for the day or two we'll be there, or if there's a get together during that time, we'd love it!

If you're about on a Sunday while in London, feel free to come and visit British PAX attendees at a pub near Liverpool St. Train Station :) DM for the location details.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular

If you're about on a Sunday while in London, feel free to come and visit British PAX attendees at a pub near Liverpool St. Train Station :) DM for the location details.

We might be on a Sunday. I'll PM you, thanks!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    Well I guess since I am going to PAX for the first time thie year I should post huh...

Well I am like @MarkWebster here and live up north in the bonnie ol' land of Scotland.

I was able to find flights from Glasgow without having to go through a London airport. I got a Glasgow to Seattle via Philadelphia which US Airways run over the summer which I got for £680 (they went down in price a little after but not by a lot). I'm just flying in on the Tuesday night so that I have Wednesday to (hopefully) meet up with people and get settled.

As I've said I am totally new to PAX so help and stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah there's a lot more options if you can go from Glasgow over Edinburgh, we looked at it quite extensively. Edinburgh means you need to min. 2 stops with US Airways which was just too much hassle.

With Glasgow, you can also go 1-stop with United through either NY or Chicago, more frequently than Edinburgh -> NY -> Seattle which is just 1 a day.

And Canadian Affair (although they are now total cunts in my head after moving our outbound forward flight 6 hours, invalidating our entire travel plans and then sticking two fingers up, calling it a minor change and making us book new connecting travel) also travel direct to Vancouver from Glasgow, which isn't too far (but they are quite expensive).

Go drinking with PAXers would be my best tip!

it looks like maybe a few flights from Vancouver have been changed (I suspect airport shenanigans) - thankfully the only change to mine is that my flight back leaves 20 mins later that it was due to - moar airport beer time :D

oh and one of the reasons I go from the Midlands down to London is so I don't have to fly US Airways - after a trip to LA via Philli a couple of years back I have decided to never ever fly with them again (hope your experience is better than mine!) oh and if you are in Philli for a few hours as part of your changeover there are a few semi-decent bars ;) ) I also prefer direct flights - I'm too old for the 24hours straight travelling with changes thing ;)

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Good to see a crowd from across the ocean, hopefully most of you got a good deal on tickets. Ironically I'll be headed to the UK for Vacation soon after PAX.

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    uh Hey! I am from the England, and I am planning to go to PAX East :D I went this year and it was so good :D

pax%20sig.png
  • niaxniax Registered User new member
    Southampton checking in. Planning on doing Prime next year.

• RevBuddyLoveRevBuddyLove Ibiza, SpainRegistered User regular
    I'm an American living in Ibiza, I'm so down. Are you sure you want to do it in London? Ibiza calling ;-)