As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] M&M 3E: New Beginning

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    That could certainly work! Tying together bits between the characters is always good stuff. And I like your dude a lot, he's quite flexible and certainly going to be very useful, as superheroes don't always just hit stuff, they have to save people as well. Plus I always like heroes related to the golden age, and this is no different!

I'm currently writing a little bit about the character and so on, and my current idea is to have ancient portals hidden away in the world we know, places like the Himalayas, the depths of the ocean, the jungles of the Amazon and so on. These portals take the form of caves, crevasses, ancient temples and so on. When you go in, you explore for a while, and then come out into a magnificent new world of towering volcano peaks, thick jungles, shimmering seas and so on, filled with dinosaurs and savages etc. And then the nation of Ultima, ancient and yet super-advanced, the cities of which dot this strange, nearly alien world.
    One idea I thought would be cool, and it fits the feel I want from the character, that Jules Verne and Rudyard Kipling went on an adventure together after discovering a number of old texts written by Marco Polo, Francis Drake, Cook and so on, which described these ancient portals, but curiously not the lands on the other side, for the writings are not complete. So they go adventuring and find one of these portals in the Himalayas, heading through and discovering the nation of Thule. There they meet the King of Thule, explore the wonders of this other world, etc. The people of Thule, who are made up of many species (land based human-equivalents, bird-people, mer-folk etc, all the classic pulp near-human species) live in perfect harmony with the land, their technology and knowledge allowing them to remain in balance with the wild, with their rulers displaying a deep and primal connection to it. The leaders of Thule tell them for that their own safety, when they leave, they must have their minds wiped of the knowledge of Thule, so that it may remain away from the prying eyes and predations of humanity. The explorers all agree, all except for Verne, who finds it impossible to fully agree. He goes along with the mind wipe, but before he does so, writes himself a coded journal that he manages to sneak back with him, so that he can uncover the truth.

Verne never does break his own code again, in fact, he forgets that the journal even exists. But years in the future, a young explorer and anthropologist, Jessica Cavill, finds the journal and takes an expedition through the same portal. She is met by a young prince, who saves the expedition from a marauding pack of Sabre-Lizards, and takes her to see his father. The old man gives the same speech as always, you can stay as long as you want, but if you leave, you have to have your memories taken away. After talking to Jessica, though, Prince Helios (and I'm thinking actually, maybe Orion?) manages to convince his father that they can no longer remain fearfully hidden from the humans. They must allow each people to know of each other. The Humans, he argues, suffer many threats, from poverty, disease, warfare... Perhaps if he went to their world, and sees how they live, then he can begin diplomacy with them, start a new age of peace and understanding where they can teach the humans a more harmonious way, and perhaps they can teach Ultima to be more dynamic and forward-looking.

The King is old, and often ill. His son has, in times when he cannot even leave his bed, taken regency and ruled effectively, for he has the respect of the nobles, the army and the common people. The King knows that his time is coming to an end, and that his son must be allowed to direct some of the future of Ultima. He allows Helios/Orion to go over to the human world as an ambassador, and also as a representative of the people of Ultima, to show their courage, strength and way of life. So they all go back, and now Helios/Orion is a bit of a fish out of water, seeing how the humans do things, speaking with diplomats and so on. So he has a political role, but knowing him should villainy arise, he will not fail to step in and protect the people of Earth!

I think that works a lot better. It has a pulp adventure feel, an ancient world that even the inhabitants of Thule have not entirely explored, indeed there are vast swathes of it that they know little about, filled with savage tribes of lizard warriors and ape-men, as well as ancient ruins of bygone ages. So there's potential for exploration as well! And the whole family element is there too, Helios/Orion has an eldery, dying father, a mother who is currently acting as regent, but she is also old and not exactly ruler material, a younger brother who is somewhat aggressive that Orion (I think Orion works best) does not know if he can trust, a sister that is just a child, and so on. The noble politics of Thule are mostly peaceful, but not always, and while Orion is happy to explore this new world, with Jessica acting as kind of his liaison to the human race, he does have duties back at home. But he can't give up on either task, so he has to strike a careful balance.

Right now I'm writing a few excerpts from the diary of Jules Verne as he and Rudyard Kipling discover this new world, and then I'll write a bit from the diary of Jessica Cavill, giving her experiences when it comes to meeting Prince Orion and taking him back to Earth etc.

Yeah, that could be a lot of fun to play. Thoughts?

Solar on
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    I'm glad that you approve Solar. Despite the fun of having a superhero engaging in a round of fisticuffs I do like having something else to do so that player a big role in the redesign of the Red Cross.

For what it is worth I think you should avoid the Orion name. It just makes me think of the DC character who seems miles away from your prince. Having there be portals which serve as the entryways to this magnificent realm seems like a solid idea. I do love the idea that Verne was so inspired by his visit he launched all of his sci-fi stories.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that's fantastic. So much depth in the idea.

I too love the Verne angle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    put me down in the For column on the topic of the name Orion

• Options
    See, I know Orion makes people think of the angry Orion with the cool helmet and flight rig

but it is a cool name, it's also a mythological name, which always sounds good, and is the name of the hunter, which fits the character I think

Anyway, I did some excerpts from Verne's journal, just for fun, really. I'll do a couple more, then a few from Jessica Cavill's own diary. The Flying Man that Verne meets is the grandfather of our hero.
    "We have found it! Hidden high within the snow-capped peaks of the Himalayas, just as the ancient tablets we deciphered said it would. Our guides will not approach, and not explain why, though Kipling belives that perhaps they are bound my some ancient accord, a pact of honour between themselves and... who? He does not know, and for myself I cannot suggest an answer. But we have found it, an ancient arch over an even older cave, pitted with the cruel attention of aeons, yet standing still, and marked with glyphs that seem similar to those on the Mayan tablets. I seems that they may be warnings of some sort, urges for the fearful and superstitious to stay away, but Kipling has damned any such talk of turning back, and I agree with him. This could be one of the greatest discoveries of our time!"
    "The dark stillness of that cave would fill the notebooks of any adventurer across the ages, but I must confess my memories of the hours we spent picking through the half-darkness and climbing ancient rock faces is swept away by the magnificent sight before. We have left the cave, on the other side of the mountain. But it is clear that wherever the portal leads to, it is not within the Himalayas, and perhaps not even an earthly plane.

We stand on a mountain still, but the breeze is cool, rather than biting. Before us, far below, stretches a carpet of green, punctuated by red and yellow and purple and all manner of colours, a jungle or forest of some sort. This jungle seems to thin into strange patches as it reaches the shore, yes, the shore! A glittering, beautiful blue sea stretches across the horizon, shimmering in the sun. The air above it seems to be hued not just with blue but also red and orange, the very sky itself alien and exotic, wild and primal. To our left and right, the mountains stretch on, and above us we can see a gigantic peak, gently smoking, a volcana leviathan lying at sleep. If one listens carefully, one can hear the roar of strange beasts in the valleys below, and by straining one's eyes, giant, bird-like beings, the likes of which have only been imagined by those who visit London's Museum of Natural History, swoop through these prehistoric skies. The trail leads down the mountain. We have almost no choice, the urge to explore is all consuming..."
    "The sights last described in this notebook must once again pale to a new discover. This land is inhabited, and it's natives are no simple tribe. A majestic city sits gracefully at the shore, mounted upon a great spur of rock. It seems to have been constructed out of all manner of exotic materials, towers of glass, walls of marble, buildings roofed in gold and silver... the entire edifice gleams with the artifice of those who must have laboured so greatly over it. That such a city is alive and filled with life is certain to us both. This path seems to lead to it, and while I am somewhat concerned at travelling through the jungles before us, protected only with our small pistols, we can neither stop nor slow in the persuit of this new discovery."
    "Forgive the somewhat scribbled manner of my handwriting at this juncture, my nerves are still alight with events just transpired. As we travelled through the jungle, strange sounds, sights and smells assailed us from all angles, a veritable orgy of sensations. Kipling, veteran of the Indian jungles, bid me pause for a moment, his revolver raised and ready. I assumed that he had detected the presence of some wild beast, and this revealed itself to be the case, though in far greater scale than we imagined. With a roar, accompanies by a shower of underbrush, a pack of gigantic lizard-like animals, their teeth and claws gleaming in the sunlight, exploded from the forest around us. They charged, the earth shaking, each one must have weighed at least a ton and stood taller at the shoulder than a man. Kipling fired bravely, but the shot seemed to do nothing. We braced ourself for the end.

It was then that a second explosion filled the air, this time bringing with it a shocking wind that blasted dirt and leaves from the forest floor. With a blur of movement, the beasts before us were lifted into the air, tumbling end over end, before coming to a rest in a heap at the foot of some gigantic tree. The other beasts roared, this time more in fear than hunting rage, and fled, smashing through bushes and ferns in their haste to escape whoever had assailed them. For myself, I looked around, seeking to understand whad had happened. It was a few moments before I realised that the sun had darkened, and I looked up at the sky.

No cloud had obscured that heavenly orb. Instead, hanging before us in the air, perfectly still, as if standing upon some invisible outcrop of stone, was a man. Impossibly powerful in build, swathed in a great cloak, his arms bearing bracers, his legs trousered and greaved, his chest bare. His hair was white and thick, his beard long, and when he looked at us, I knew that we had happened upon far more than just a man. That may seem like a strange observation, given that he was at the time, levitating under some unknown power. But there was a look in his eyes, a look of proud, fierce nobility, that would have given us pause were we to come across such a fellow upon solid earth."

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    That's very cool. Yeah, I can see I'm going to be including your Otherland in my plans.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ok, Vacation was fun, but now time to get back to the more normal fun-times activities. Like this game here.

Going to be working on the opening scenes for each of you, I have ideas but I welcome input from the players.

Currently, looking to get the ball rolling around mid-week. Friday at the latest.

Thoughts, Suggestions, Lewd Comments?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I am always up for lewd comments

in fact, I' m just always up :winky:

Seriously though I will get some stuff sorted tomorrow and post the full final version of the character including what they are currently up to and so on, to help you with the intros. Looking forward to getting stuff started!

• Options
    I just got my brand new computer in the mail so I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the Red Cross Destroyah. I have ideas but I'm going to leave this in your hands. Go nuts.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    was wondering where you scampered off to

began to suspect the dark knight rises premiere swallowed you up

• Options
    Nope. Haven't even seen the new movie yet as a matter of fact. I have just been without a computer and posting on the forum with my phone is a huge pain.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    i meant as part of your job but yeah

what type of pooter didja get

• Options
    Oh. Actually I have been given a fair number of days of for the Batman movie oddly enough. It has been very nice.

I got an Hp Pavilion G Series. It is very nice. Still figuring out what it can do.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    should get Skype

totes should.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think it actually came with Skype. Not that I have any idea how to use that.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Worry not, I have not forgotten or forsaken this endeavor.

But I am having a bit of writer's block in getting the first post up. I have different scenes in my head. but the words, zey do not come.
    vague ideas and mental pictures just aren't able to make the transition from my brain to the paper via my fingers. :/

I'm not exactly happy about this state of affairs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Start with some buildings beign set on fair with one of our heroes trapped in side. That is always a good way to inspire some fast action.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Anyway, I said I'd post some stuff up and I didn't. Sorry about that.

Here is Prince Orion of Ultima, by the way. I still have three points left! Not sure what to spend them on, though.
    Strength 12, Stamina 10, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 4, Intellect 1, Awareness 1, Presence 4 - 68pts

SKILLS - 16pts
    Perception 6 (+7), Intimidation 6 (+10), Insight 6 (+7), Persuasion 6 (+10/+12), Expertise (Diplomacy) 4 (+5), Expertise (Military) 4 (+5)

ADVANTAGES - 16pts
    Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Attractive, Fearless, Interpose, Language (English, Base: Ultima), Leadership, Move-By-Action, Power Attack, Takedown 2, Extra-ordinary Effort, Status 2 (Prince of Ultima, Diplomatic Immunity), Extra-ordinary Effort

DEFENSES - 16pts
    Dodge 6, Parry 6, Will 10, Toughness 14, Fortitude 10

POWERS - 31pts
    Prince of Ultima: Protection 4; Immunity 5 (Vacuum, Pressure, Drowning, Heat, Cold) - 9pts
    Lord of Land, Air and Sea: - 17pt Array
    -Aerial: Flight 8 - 16pts
    -Terrestrial: Swimming 8, Burrowing 8 - 1pt
    Master of the Elements: 5pt Array off Strength
    -Earthquake: Affliction 10 (Two Degrees, Extra Effect, Hindered and Vulnerable/Helpless and Immobile, Dodge Resist) - 1pt
    -Tsunami: Damage 10 (Ranged, Area Burst, Limited: in or nearby a water source) - 1pt
    -Hurricane: Environment 6 (Visibility 2, Impede Movement 2) - 1pt
    -Cyclone: Move Object 8 (Area Burst) - 1pt
    -Thunderbolt: Damage 10 (Ranged, Accurate 4) - 1pt

Solar on
  • Options
    Wow. He's like Namor, Storm, and Thor all rolled into one.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    That's the idea! The idea I had for him is that the Royal Bloodline of Ultima long ago swore a covenant with the primal spirit of the worlds that they would draw strength from the lands in order to rule them and bring peace to it's peoples. So the early Princes of Ultima had power over, say, the weather and the earth, but not the sea. And then when they expanded Ultima to include aquatic cities and peoples, their abilities grew to include control of the oceans and swimming super fast and breathing underwater and so on.

It occurred to me, as I was idly thinking of ideas for what I would were I actually to write the character, that story arcs which expanded the territories of Ultima to new and unusual locations would be pretty cool. My John Carter DVD had just arrived and so the first thing that popped into my head was Orion gets thrown through a portal to the strange martian landscape of not-Barsoom, saves not-Helium and marries not-Dejah Thoris, bringing it under the rule of his father and thus making him and Dejah heirs to the Kingdom. And then when he does that, his powers grow to incorporate the traits of Barsoom and its peoples.

This of course gave me the idea for a time travel story where Orion is hurled hundreds if not thousands of years into the future where he meets a version of himself that rules over a vast galactic empire and who has become some sort of transcendant stellar god that draws on the power of hundreds of disparate worlds, species and so on,and the younger Orion has to help him defeat some ancient foe who originates in the darkest corner of the Universe etc, but at that point I was very much lost in my own thoughts.

• Options
    Interesting idea. Might be interesting to see if Orion loses a bit of his honor as time presses down on him over the millenia though.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    He would certainly temper his youthful energy and dynamism with more wisdom

and he might be less rigidly honourable in favour of compassion, perhaps

though the universe is a harsh place and rulers have to make tough decisions, he might go the other way instead

actually that would be quite cool, if that story revealed that future Orion is a bit of a stodgy jerk and that his younger self reminded him that it is okay to believe in honour and righteousness and justice and other such big things, and to have adventures (of course)

• Options
    "Honor is not a luxury I can afford if I am to maintain the strength of my empire."

-Future Orion

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Just in case this gets started in the next few days I wanted to give you all a heads up that I am headed out of town to attend a funeral. Hopefully I don't miss out on anything.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Let's all throw rocks at Destroyah until he does stuff

also sorry to hear that Saks

my condolences on any loss you suffered

• Options
    pop rocks?
    ... please?

I'm almost done, I swear. just haven't had time outside of work to sit down and finish these last few days.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Prince Orion will give you pop rocks

oh yes he will

a million of them!

All screwed up into one giant pop rock boulder!

• Options
    Thanks Solar.

Well there will be more Young Justice this evening to keep you happy while we wait on Destroyah. I have to stay up late packing and such so I can finally type out my next post.

Also been toying with the idea of running a third game. Possibly cosmic Marvel. We shall see.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    oh man

oh man cosmic marvel

oh god don't tease me Saks

don't tease your ol' buddy Solar with that kind of sweet talk

• Options
    Partially inspired by your Beta Ray Bill avatar sir.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    but who would I play?!?

The ultimate question

Probably Quasar actually

Quasar or Nova Prime

or Gladiator

or no wait, maybe Adam Warlock...

• Options
    Well you should wait until I outline the PL and scenario to pick a character.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    It's cosmic marvel, there are cool characters at all PLs, I reckon

even if that part of the setting is often filled with more powerful dudes

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Very true. I do have a soft spot for Beta Ray Bill though.

I am afraid you and I would be the only ones with an interest in such a game though.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    I'd prod horseshoe until he played

also arc

and probably destroyah

I'd lure them in with promises of sexy space babes and raccoons with huge guns

• Options
    Sir those are some of my favorite things about Marvel Cosmos. I think Horseshoe is too burdened by life to join in any fun at the moment though.

Rocket Raccoon is an amazing character by the by.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I do indeed love Rocket Raccoon

And Prince Orion was in some way inspired by my love of classic sci fi such as the Princess of Mars series with Dejah Thoris, the original sexy space babe

but yeah HS seems to have a lot on his plate

shame he is not around to post so much but I can understand

Solar on
  • Options
    Someone needs to kick Thanos in the teeth. Seriously. That guy is always messing up the Cosmos.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Eww Marvel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I used to like Marvel but they took a turn for the worse quite a while back. Now I just have my memories.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch