As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBT]: Bigots can go eat a bag of [Chick-Fil-A]

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I can kinda see the reasoning for that... But at some point you gonna realize that some battlefields are just not worth fighting for or on.

You dont send your best general on a suicide mission.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Fwiw @Thanatos, tithe money tends to already be tied up in non-political ventures. The LDS leadership put out a call specifically for Prop. 8 funding in excess of the tithe and this guy, evidently, deliberately rejected that call.

My favorite part of that article, though, was how he believes alcohol is bad for people's immortal souls but he has no problem selling a lot of it because he likes money; stuff like that has always bothered me.
    The man is worth 1.3 billion dollars. This means he gave roughly 140 million dollars to the second-largest anti-gay lobbying group in the U.S. He is possibly the single most anti-gay person in the world.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Fwiw @Thanatos, tithe money tends to already be tied up in non-political ventures. The LDS leadership put out a call specifically for Prop. 8 funding in excess of the tithe and this guy, evidently, deliberately rejected that call.

My favorite part of that article, though, was how he believes alcohol is bad for people's immortal souls but he has no problem selling a lot of it because he likes money; stuff like that has always bothered me.
    The man is worth 1.3 billion dollars. This means he gave roughly 140 million dollars to the second-largest anti-gay lobbying group in the U.S. He is possibly the single most anti-gay person in the world.

That's just stupid, Thanatos.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Das Pope just named the guy in charge of bigotry for the Catholic Church as the new Archbishop of San Francisco. This is after pulling a similarly bullshit stunt by replacing a very progressive Archbishop in Seattle with another hardcore right-wing douchebag.
    I should also point out that the guy His Hitlerness put in charge of the Seattle Archdiocese is the same guy who is at the forefront of the Vatican's War on Women, attacking nuns for spending too much time helping the less-fortunate, and not enough time shitting all over gay people and women.

• Options

Stupid is pretending "oh, I only do it because Jesus told me to" is a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

The only reason he's not more strongly anti-gay is that he makes most of his money off of doing business in cities, and hosting conventions (like, for instance, the International Mr. Leather competition in Chicago). If it wouldn't fucking ruin him, I'm sure he'd be coming down as hard on the gays as the Mormon Church is. And the only reason the Mormon Church isn't smacking him down and forcing him to toe the line... well, there are 140 million reasons for that, actually.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Stupid is pretending "oh, I only do it because Jesus told me to" is a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

The only reason he's not more strongly anti-gay is that he makes most of his money off of doing business in cities, and hosting conventions (like, for instance, the International Mr. Leather competition in Chicago). If it wouldn't fucking ruin him, I'm sure he'd be coming down as hard on the gays as the Mormon Church is. And the only reason the Mormon Church isn't smacking him down and forcing him to toe the line... well, there are 140 million reasons for that, actually.

That is not "the single most anti-gay person in the world" and it's good to know you have such an intimate understanding of this guy.

I'm not defending him, but I'm also not going to subscribe to the Thanatos Hyperbolic Hate train this earlier in the morning. Maybe later after I watch some 'lympics.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The Pope is a person, Thanatos.

You'd have to do considerably more impressive math as to what portion of the Mormon church's money goes to anti-gay activism and then multiply that percentage by the tithe, then compare THAT to say, Sheldon Adelson or Mitt Romney. Though I agree with the fundamental point that the fact that he's giving to a church doesn't absolve him of responsibility for what they do with that money.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

That is not "the single most anti-gay person in the world" and it's good to know you have such an intimate understanding of this guy.

I'm not defending him, but I'm also not going to subscribe to the Thanatos Hyperbolic Hate train this earlier in the morning. Maybe later after I watch some 'lympics.

The main problem is that he donates money to an organization that's virulently anti-homosexual. I'm sure he takes part in equitable business practices and treats his employees and their spouses fairly (according to the article anyways), but none the less he still tithes to LDS. It's a bit like saying "I'm all for Israel. Many of my best employees are Israeli, in fact," and then turning around and donating money to Hezbollah.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

The main problem is that he donates money to an organization that's virulently anti-homosexual. I'm sure he takes part in equitable business practices and treats his employees and their spouses fairly (according to the article anyways), but none the less he still tithes to LDS. It's a bit like saying "I'm all for Israel. Many of my best employees are Israeli, in fact," and then turning around and donating money to Hezbollah.

Like I said, I'm not defending him, but Thanatos was being ridiculous.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    The Pope protected all of the rapists in his organization, and then spearheaded a PR campaign that blamed the paedophilia & psychotic attacks on homosexuality.

Thanatos is not being ridiculous at all.

EDIT: It's funny - we have a whole thread dedicated to the Penn State scandal, which involved tens of children and a limited conspiracy, and this has landed school administrators in jail, hit the school itself with penalties, and of course seen the rapist himself locked away.

The actual legal consequences thus far for the church, and it's much larger conspiracy to protect the rapists of hundreds of children? None. Zero. No persons arrested, no fines, nothing. It's a fucking joke.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    The Pope protected all of the rapists in his organization, and then spearheaded a PR campaign that blamed the paedophilia & psychotic attacks on homosexuality.

Thanatos is not being ridiculous at all.

EDIT: It's funny - we have a whole thread dedicated to the Penn State scandal, which involved tens of children and a limited conspiracy, and this has landed school administrators in jail, hit the school itself with penalties, and of course seen the rapist himself locked away.

The actual legal consequences thus far for the church, and it's much larger conspiracy to protect the rapists of hundreds of children? None. Zero. No persons arrested, no fines, nothing. It's a fucking joke.

Oh, I forgot about how involved the Pope of Rome is with the Mormon church. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, we are now talking about 2 different things. Let's not conflate them

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Well, if we're talking about religious institutions that are vehemently anti-gay, it's a fair conflation to make. Lets not pretend LDS is somehow more progressive when it comes to LGBT rights than the modern day Catholic church is.

• Options
    Why won't you let me live in my dream world, Hacksaw!

It's shiny there!

And has blackjack. And hookers!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Das Pope just named the guy in charge of bigotry for the Catholic Church as the new Archbishop of San Francisco. This is after pulling a similarly bullshit stunt by replacing a very progressive Archbishop in Seattle with another hardcore right-wing douchebag.

Don't forget that shitfucker Dolan who fought himself sweaty trying to keep gay marriage in NY illegal. I'm pretty sure he got a promotion after that, is he a Cardinal now or something?

• Options
    Why won't you let me live in my dream world, Hacksaw!

It's shiny there!

And has blackjack. And hookers!

See, if you'd said "jetpack" instead of blackjack, I'd be down. But no.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I just saw a high school friend get tagged in pictures of his gay wedding on Facebook, and one of them was of the food table. The caption?

"Gay wedding catered by Chik-fil-a TROLOLOLOL"

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Don't forget that shitfucker Dolan who fought himself sweaty trying to keep gay marriage in NY illegal. I'm pretty sure he got a promotion after that, is he a Cardinal now or something?

Yup!

and before that they had Egan the fucker who covered up all the sex abuse in Boston in charge inNYC

• Options
    BandableBandable Registered User regular
    While Thanatos was obviously being a little hyperbolic with “most anti-gay” person in the world, he is right that this dude is very harmful to the gay rights movement.

Your religion is a choice. Sending tithe to the Mormon church is another choice. Knowing that the church uses its funds and organization to actively fight against gay rights means you support that position when you send them your money. If you do this and also openly believe gays should not have civil rights, then you don't get a gold star for not donating to other hate groups. You are in fact a horrible person and part of the problem.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Bandable wrote: »
    While Thanatos was obviously being a little hyperbolic with “most anti-gay” person in the world, he is right that this dude is very harmful to the gay rights movement.

Your religion is a choice. Sending tithe to the Mormon church is another choice. Knowing that the church uses its funds and organization to actively fight against gay rights means you support that position when you send them your money. If you do this and also openly believe gays should not have civil rights, then you don't get a gold star for not donating to other hate groups. You are in fact a horrible person and part of the problem.

what if you donate to hate groups and the groups they're hating

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bandable wrote: »

You are less bad then someone who does though.

There's many reasons to donate to the Mormon church that have nothing to do with it's stance on gay-rights.

Going above and beyond your tithe to fund anti-gay-rights organizations displays a commitment to stomping on gays that goes far far beyond that.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Oh yay this image meme is going around my facebook now
    560932_4328666144319_2004646704_n.jpg

There are so many things wrong with this I don't even

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Your facebook is stupid.

• Options
    This is the one I got!

564050_4142371713016_580234642_n.jpg

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    That is offensive to political discourse and the English language!

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Arch put up a Willy Wonka one of your own

"Tell me again how Christians are an oppressed minority"

• Options
    I still think trying to control where every dollar you own goes is a futile effort. I don't believe that bank owners and speculators should be rewarded for their abominable behavior in the last decade, but I still have a savings account. Upon further review of the "most obviously right" principle, if I only decide to take the apparent best action on salient topics, then I am not helping at all to make progress in our moral understanding of the system. It's like coming back to the store to return an item that the teller forgot to mark. You're going to fire the register jockey and suffer the cost of the item, all for your own selfish conscience and the benefit of the undercutting corporation. If you don't have a general rule you're willing to apply to all your finances, then you're just doing it in the heat of the moment to better fit in with the group you run with and don't actually give a crap about the issues.

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Ah yes, more "perfect being the enemy of the good" reasoning. If you can't fix a problem completely then why bother trying even a little, right?

• Options
    Ah yes, more "perfect being the enemy of the good" reasoning. If you can't fix a problem completely then why bother trying even a little, right?

Are you indeed helping to fix the problem or just wasting your time? On every project I've undertaken that has always been an issue. Edison said that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, but that doesn't mean you can do without that 1% of critical thinking that prevents you from going on a 100% foolish endeavor.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

They got me dead to rights. Im not eating at Chick Fil A "because the owner is Christian".

(Truthfully, Im not boycotting. There just aren't any locations around these parts)

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

3p27ox.jpg

wonka1.jpg

christian-persecution.jpg?w=604

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Paladin wrote: »

Are you indeed helping to fix the problem or just wasting your time? On every project I've undertaken that has always been an issue. Edison said that genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration, but that doesn't mean you can do without that 1% of critical thinking that prevents you from going on a 100% foolish endeavor.

Now I'm confused. Is the 1% inspiration, or critical thinking? And how does that relate in any way to... anything?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

I would suggest not going to Chick-fil-a is the exact opposite of wasting my time.

• Options
    Shit, I made my lunch today. If only I'd known the only way to productively spend that mealtime was to eat at CFA.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm a bit confused here. How exactly is boycotting a business that donates money to causes you disagree with unproductive? Isn't that the idea well to get businesses to change their act, take your business elsewhere while encouraging others to do the same until that business either goes belly up or changes it's stance.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So I've decided that the next time I visit Church's, I'm going to order a chicken sandwich, because I still have no idea what Chick-fil-a is like and obviously I'm not going to go to one. But I'm going to order it without the pickles, because pickles are bad.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular

I've seen this version a few times.
    575993_10150955683421260_850616083_n.jpg

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the guy who owns OPEC.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Hamoud Opecda tenth heir of the OPEC empire.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So.

The Kiwi prime Minister, Hon. John Key, came out in support of Gay marriage being legalized in new Zealand.

Which is going to make things very interesting around here when parliament starts back up again and votes on this.

This discussion has been closed.