As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Prude Victorian Fencing [chat]

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    my reviews generally start with "So, (Ludious), you didn't destroy anyone's soul this quarter. That's great. Also, you're doing really well. Overall, I'm giving you a Superior."

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I ignore really dumb inquiries by email and I respond politely and quickly to them when they are made in person.

Y'all a bunch of unprofessionals.

5+ years of reaffirming dumb people are dumb wears thin on you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

It's only the handle basically that was 3-d printed. Most of it is steel, and not 3-d printed.

I think the point is that none of the metal parts are classified as firearm components or controlled in any way in the US. So the laws will need to be updated.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

It's only the handle basically that was 3-d printed. Most of it is steel, and not 3-d printed.

It's mostly a quirk of present US gun legislation that makes this interesting. As I understand it, the part that is 3D printed is the part that is controlled, so you could in theory build yourself an unregistered firearm by this method.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    So, is greek yogurt supposed to be kinda chunky. Bought some to bring for lunches and it's been sitting in my office for like, 6 hours now not chilled. It's pretty much room temperature, and is good, except for some chunky bits that are pretty revolting. It also smelled awful when I opened it.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I think the point is that none of the metal parts are classified as firearm components or controlled in any way in the US. So the laws will need to be updated.

This. The article talks about how this technology allows people to skirt gun law permits.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

You can use a piece of string to turn some semi-automatic rifles into full auto. Update the laws! War on string!

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Warhammer 40k folks how much would you think is fair to ask for for these orks?

minus.com/lTvsriqIcdA8L

minus.com/ljqc3KVqLWkBf

totally pulling numbers out of my ass,

1st pic: 20% of retail
    2nd pic: assuming those sprues are still complete, 60% of retail

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    earthworms.jpg

Ermagerd earthworms

..This meme is broken I don't like it

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I ignore really dumb inquiries by email and I respond politely and quickly to them when they are made in person.

I usually respond politely and quickly to them when they're done via email, too.

This does not mean that I don't get to bitch about it, though.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

The barrel and firing chambers are the most difficult parts of a gun to fabricate, but it's still possible to do so using equipment available to laypeople. Any machine shop that can make engine parts for cars or tractors can do it.

What this does mean is that 3D printers can be used to convert a semi-auto weapon into a full-auto, or to fabricate an extended magazine.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Unprofessional? My grace and poise in dealing with people who treat me like gutter slime, yell at me, accuse me (frequently) of breaking the law because they lost a file (and this is my fault always), is unquestionable. People outside of my department think I am an angel sent to earth. I literally can do no wrong. I'm a sweet young man. Even my emails in which I imply they're incapable of reading is done in such a way that they find me adorable.

Now, my coworkers know the seething rage that boils beneath my fluffy exterior, like an overdone souffle waiting to burst.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular

the lower reciever houses basically all the fire control mechanisms and magazine well and i guess a portion of the recoil system if you want to get technical

the interesting thing about the m-16 design is that the upper reciever takes nearly the entire force of the round as it is discharged

polymer lower recievers have been a thing for a while although no one really uses them (shorter lifespan than aluminum lowers)

this is super interesting though

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    tumblr_kv83n13xaP1qzigs3o1_500.jpg

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i actually really liked the one sonic game on the wii where it was mostly on rails. sonic and the secret rings i think?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    japan wrote: »

It's mostly a quirk of present US gun legislation that makes this interesting. As I understand it, the part that is 3D printed is the part that is controlled, so you could in theory build yourself an unregistered firearm by this method.

yeah, in theory.

you're also printing yourself a 10-year federal prison sentence if you dont get clearance to do so from the ATF

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

I usually respond politely and quickly to them when they're done via email, too.

This does not mean that I don't get to bitch about it, though.

Sometimes on longer phone calls I will start doodling the other party falling into a wood chipper.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Unprofessional? My grace and poise in dealing with people who treat me like gutter slime, yell at me, accuse me (frequently) of breaking the law because they lost a file (and this is my fault always), is unquestionable. People outside of my department think I am an angel sent to earth. I literally can do no wrong. I'm a sweet young man. Even my emails in which I imply they're incapable of reading is done in such a way that they find me adorable.

Now, my coworkers know the seething rage that boils beneath my fluffy exterior, like an overdone souffle waiting to burst.
    We've stopped losing files for the most part since we switched to a cloud backup system. Seriously, best thing ever relative to the old Symantec tape system, where you had to decompress the entire backup in order to pull a single file off of it.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

The barrel and firing chambers are the most difficult parts of a gun to fabricate, but it's still possible to do so using equipment available to laypeople. Any machine shop that can make engine parts for cars or tractors can do it.

What this does mean is that 3D printers can be used to convert a semi-auto weapon into a full-auto, or to fabricate an extended magazine.

no it doesn't

you need a machine shop.

the lower reciever just houses fire control parts (trigger, sear, hammer, springs). the fire control group (FCG) is what makes a gun full auto or not. An FCG is made out of aluminum/spring steel, hence the need for a machine shop.

lower recievers are virtually interchangeable from one gun to the next. there isn't anything special about the lower reciever that makes a gun fully automatic.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012

We've stopped losing files for the most part since we switched to a cloud backup system. Seriously, best thing ever relative to the old Symantec tape system, where you had to decompress the entire backup in order to pull a single file off of it.

I don't lose files that are saved to my server (within reason). If a user decides to save files to their desktop and then it crashes, they're fucked. If they deleted a file 5 years ago from the server and want it back now, they're fucked. I'd love to go full dummie terminal cloud based computing but I work for the government. It took me writing a 10 page business case and putting on an Oscar caliber performance for the department assessment team to upgrade my tape library from lto 3 to lto 5. I work with what I have.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »

yeah, in theory.

you're also printing yourself a 10-year federal prison sentence if you dont get clearance to do so from the ATF

I think the kind of person who is very interested in a means to manufacture unregistered firearms is probably beyond worrying about that.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited July 2012

yeah, in theory.

I think the kind of person who is very interested in a means to manufacture unregistered firearms is probably beyond worrying about that.

which is what makes more laws precisely the solution?

edit: that sounds way more dickish than i meant it when i read it a second time. take the dick level down about 3 or 4 notches when you read that. i meant it as super benign.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I don't lose files that are saved to my server (within reason). If a user decides to save files to their desktop and then it crashes, they're fucked. If they deleted a file 5 years ago from the server and want it back now, they're fucked. I'd love to go full dummie terminal cloud based computing but I work for the government. It took me writing a 10 page business case and putting on an Oscar caliber performance for the department assessment team to upgrade my tape library from lto 3 to lto 5. I work with what I have.

Yup I tell people to get fucked if it's not within reason. No sorry I'm not going to try and take the controller out of your hard drive and put another one on it and try to get your files back. Save it to your my documents folder instead of your desktop you cock gobbler.

Also, don't save shit in your email, that stuff is temporary and I make NO GUARANTEE of ever restoring that. Do you hold the post office responsible if you jam your PO box full of letters someone sent you 5 years ago, and they take them out and discard them or the post office burnt down?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tumblr_m52dquvz8L1rxewzbo1_1280.jpg

• Options
    For the record, I don't really think this changes much.

I suspect (on the basis that they are probably not idiots) that the ATF and similar agencies are very much aware of the possibility of people building their own guns, whether it involves 3D printing or just plain old machine tooling.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    the lower reciever just houses fire control parts (trigger, sear, hammer, springs). the fire control group (FCG) is what makes a gun full auto or not. An FCG is made out of aluminum/spring steel, hence the need for a machine shop.

lower recievers are virtually interchangeable from one gun to the next. there isn't anything special about the lower reciever that makes a gun fully automatic.

Oh, I thought they fabricated the lower receiver and the firing mechanism.

That makes a lot more sense.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    If my mom murdered me I wouldn't be sad, I'd be dead.

Checkmate, fundies.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    That's why it's a good idea to have a retention policy available. So you can just respond with the relevant link and a "Really sorry about your luck. Here is the info on how our backups are set up, so you can avoid this in the future."

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    gooey is a dork

tyrannus on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Winky wrote: »
    tumblr_m52dquvz8L1rxewzbo1_1280.jpg

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

• Options
    I get a serious Poe's law reaction from that tumblr.

• Options
    Virtually unenforceable laws that outline the way we would like society to be are better than no laws at all. Suicide is still considered a common law crime.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    That's why it's a good idea to have a retention policy available. So you can just respond with the relevant link and a "Really sorry about your luck. Here is the info on how our backups are set up, so you can avoid this in the future."

I do. It doesn't stop people from threatening me. When they realize they've lost days/weeks/years of government data, at that point logic goes out the window. They're going to try to throw you under the bus. I keep a book of our policy highlighted and at the ready.

Good thing too because it also doubles as a defensive weapon

• Options
    fire control parts aren't the parts that are regulated because they're considered wear parts and will fail and break

it's a facet of design of the m-16/ar-15 (and so many other modern rifles) that the rifle can be split into two halves, one housing the barrel, the other the fire control group.

essentially the ATF has ruled that the part that houses the fire control group is, for all intents and purposes, the "weapon". In the case of the ar-15 this means the lower receiver is the part that is serialized/regulated. (this varies. for instance, the FAL series of rifles has the upper receiver registered as that part houses the FCG)

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I would be sad if I ended up dripping off my mom's chin, which is why I don't support fellatio.

• Options
    tumblr_m7qkx7wSmt1rxewzbo1_500.jpg

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ho ho ho, I have to stay out of that new SKFM thread.

There is no way I won't get a billion infractions if I go in there.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Nothing pisses me off more then when we as an I.T. Department send out a very basic email addressing an issue, avoiding the use of any technical words or providing unnecessary information. Simply stating "This is a thing, we will be by to see you about it." And we immediately get 30 emails "OMGWTF WHAT DO I DO? DO I NEED TO COME SEE YOU?"

fucking damn it
    The other great one is when you send out an idiot-proof email with step-by-step, screenshotted instructions, saying "you are going to need to do this shit; save this email." And then every time it comes up, the people involved ask you how to do it.
    I sent out a warning about viruses a few days ago and I immediately got about 15 phone calls asking if they had a virus.

By the 3rd I was just answering "No you do not have a virus, this was just a precautionary email because of incoming email our spam filter was picking up on" and hanging up.
    This is one I never bitch about, because I don't want people clicking "okay" on things they shouldn't be. I'd rather be getting called into offices a few extra times a week for a thirty-second conversation that "no, that's a genuine update," point, than have people click through "okay" to install things they really shouldn't be.

And it's really weird how naturally, like, probably most of the people on this board can spot spam sites and tell malware programs from healthy programs just by looking at them, without even thinking about it.
    I always think it is fairly obvious but I think all of us have a lot more experience with the internet than the average user. I rooted out some socialbots on Facebook and people did not understand that they were not real people. It was p funny.

• Options
    I get a serious Poe's law reaction from that tumblr.

I'm not sure whether it's parody or not.

This discussion has been closed.