As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT] [CHAT] [CHAT] [CHAT]

descdesc Goretexing to deathRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
5916683217_6135b1906e_z.jpg

"Sol LeWitt is to art as Bach was to music." - Adrian Piper

Above is one of my favorite of LeWitt's pieces, wherein every possible permutation of an incomplete cube is represented in 2d. LeWitt's art is based on processes and simple, explicable systems. Early on, his art was "open source" -- the pieces themselves were not actual paintings but sets of instructions on how to paint a room with repeating patterns which anyone could follow and he considered them to be valid copies of his art.

desc on

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    But the box is empty!

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    oh whew yes whew almost did some work

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    But the box is empty!

You shut your GD mouth and eat your GD gruel!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    This is weird.

Though I appreciate that we've had a chat that isn't out of order.

No more civil war chats.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Weak sauce OP

I am pleasantly surprised. The customer was like "man you fixed the fuck out of this 6 months ago and now we're going to admit it."

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Steve Jobs's mom did want him. That's why she chose to adopt.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It is rather disorienting the blue glow isn't there for new threads. This functionality doesn't jive because you're replacing an already existing function with a new function, and then reassigning the old function.

QA/usability tests boo!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Being surrounded by cheap eats makes me not want to cook

but then I'll get fat!

Life, she is a cruel mistress

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

just going to post this again because it was right at thread close

NBC Responds: We Removed The Opening Ceremony Memorial To Terrorism Victims Because The Tribute Wasn’t About America
    NBC finally responded to overwhelming criticism of its decision to heavily edit coverage of Friday's opening ceremony with an answer that satisfied neither American fans nor Olympic organizers. Claiming "our programming is tailored for our American audience," NBC spokesperson Greg Hughes defended the network's choice to replace the "Abide With Me" memorial performance with a Ryan Seacrest interview of Michael Phelps.
    The segment's choreographer and visionary for the memorial to victims of London's 7/7 attacks reacted angrily at a press conference this weekend, being quoted by Reuters as having said: "Is it not accessible enough? Is it not commercial enough?"

As our friend Louis said over on Gawker this weekend, it's a remarkably tone-deaf response from NBC. It does, however, demonstrate exactly how NBC views the Olympics and how differently it does so compared to the rest of the world's broadcasters.

Everywhere else in the world—including places like China and Saudi Arabia—the Olympics are considered a major international news story, worthy of coverage as such and, thus, live and as uninterrupted as possible. Comparisons include the Royal Wedding (which NBC *did* show live in its entirety) or a natural disaster like a tsunami. Our editor emeritus Will Leitch says the Olympics aren't sports, but reality TV; he's right, only insofar as an American perspective goes, though. We're conditioned to think we should be fed our salad pre-tossed because that's how we've always received it; NBC has taken this liberty we've given them and used it to craft narratives that do not actually exist and to eliminate the ones they'd rather we not see.

What NBC did with the opening ceremony is, then, simply a stand-in for the manipulation they engage in with all their prime-time coverage. What you see at night on NBC's Olympic coverage didn't actually happen, but is instead an NBC-forged simulacrum of what the Olympic day was like. They recreate a sequence of events that never actually happened by using footage of things that actually did. Maybe we're okay with that, but NBC dismissing complaints of anyone who isn't okay with it is not, well, okay.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Guys you cannot believe how amazing it is to use the bathroom at my new workplace.

Okay first of all the walk is the perfect length. It’s enough of a stroll that you stretch your legs but not so much that you have to rush to evacuate your bowels. PLUS on the way you pass a TURTLE. He’s just having a rad time in his tank and you’re all sup little buddy! It’s great. What a nice guy.

Secondly all of the coworkers in my immediate workspace are dudes cause this is IT but the larger office is shared by receptionists and retail so really the end result is that no one I ever have to work with will see/hear me pooping but I get all of the benefits of a female bathroom – super awesome handwash and moisturizer, two ply toilet paper, pristine, and A MAGAZINE RACK stocked with People and Vogue and stuff. I just spent like fifteen minutes taking a dump, stretching my legs out, and reading People.

Thirdly I get paid to take a shit. I’m downloading that app that calculates the time/money ratio for my iPod.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    We're conditioned to think we should be fed our salad pre-tossed

boner!

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Steve Jobs's mom did want him. That's why she chose to adopt.

Yeah but if Steve Jobs had been aborted where would your ipad be now, huh?

Checkmate, DK.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    638.gif

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

but then I'll get fat!

lets consume together

soon we will be baron harkonnen status

• Options
    Guys you cannot believe how amazing it is to use the bathroom at my new workplace.

Okay first of all the walk is the perfect length. It’s enough of a stroll that you stretch your legs but not so much that you have to rush to evacuate your bowels. PLUS on the way you pass a TURTLE. He’s just having a rad time in his tank and you’re all sup little buddy! It’s great. What a nice guy.

Secondly all of the coworkers in my immediate workspace are dudes cause this is IT but the larger office is shared by receptionists and retail so really the end result is that no one I ever have to work with will see/hear me pooping but I get all of the benefits of a female bathroom – super awesome handwash and moisturizer, two ply toilet paper, pristine, and A MAGAZINE RACK stocked with People and Vogue and stuff. I just spent like fifteen minutes taking a dump, stretching my legs out, and reading People.

Thirdly I get paid to take a shit. I’m downloading that app that calculates the time/money ratio for my iPod.

How much you making

yeah Im that guy.

• Options
    women smell so nice.

i am smelly cause it is real hot in here.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

NBC Responds: We Removed The Opening Ceremony Memorial To Terrorism Victims Because The Tribute Wasn’t About America
    NBC finally responded to overwhelming criticism of its decision to heavily edit coverage of Friday's opening ceremony with an answer that satisfied neither American fans nor Olympic organizers. Claiming "our programming is tailored for our American audience," NBC spokesperson Greg Hughes defended the network's choice to replace the "Abide With Me" memorial performance with a Ryan Seacrest interview of Michael Phelps.
    The segment's choreographer and visionary for the memorial to victims of London's 7/7 attacks reacted angrily at a press conference this weekend, being quoted by Reuters as having said: "Is it not accessible enough? Is it not commercial enough?"

As our friend Louis said over on Gawker this weekend, it's a remarkably tone-deaf response from NBC. It does, however, demonstrate exactly how NBC views the Olympics and how differently it does so compared to the rest of the world's broadcasters.

Everywhere else in the world—including places like China and Saudi Arabia—the Olympics are considered a major international news story, worthy of coverage as such and, thus, live and as uninterrupted as possible. Comparisons include the Royal Wedding (which NBC *did* show live in its entirety) or a natural disaster like a tsunami. Our editor emeritus Will Leitch says the Olympics aren't sports, but reality TV; he's right, only insofar as an American perspective goes, though. We're conditioned to think we should be fed our salad pre-tossed because that's how we've always received it; NBC has taken this liberty we've given them and used it to craft narratives that do not actually exist and to eliminate the ones they'd rather we not see.

What NBC did with the opening ceremony is, then, simply a stand-in for the manipulation they engage in with all their prime-time coverage. What you see at night on NBC's Olympic coverage didn't actually happen, but is instead an NBC-forged simulacrum of what the Olympic day was like. They recreate a sequence of events that never actually happened by using footage of things that actually did. Maybe we're okay with that, but NBC dismissing complaints of anyone who isn't okay with it is not, well, okay.

What I find more strange is, in 1992 the summer Olympics were in Spain, and they were broadcast (mostly) live, even with the time difference. NBC is treating the Olympics like the Macy's parade (thanks to someone else who made this comparison earlier).

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    this is how careers in money begin

yes cass

yesss

• Options

but then I'll get fat!

I have the exact same problem as you right now.

It is like an epic internal struggle for the future of my manboobs.

• Options
    You get free champagne in the ladies room of this one restaurant in the LES

I weep for my gender

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular

I've pretty much altered my biological clock so that I never have to poop if I'm not on the clock. I make sure to be done with all bowel movements by 4:59 PM, don't want to interrupt me time.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

How much you making

yeah Im that guy.

$15/hour

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    @jacobkosh are you avoiding everyone?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

This article infuriates me because even the bonehead goose who wrote it is totally fucking wrong.

We do not consider the Olympics to be "reality TV" we are not conditioned in any way to enjoy NBCs shitty Olympic coverage.

I have literally never met a single American ever who did not lament our crappy Olympic coverage, and complain that it's easier to watch the Olympics in every other country. Americans are not that fucking stupid. We realize full well that literally every other country on earth gets to watch more Olympic events than we do.

No one in ours new media gets it.

They just do not get it.

And that's why younger people just don't watch TV.

• Options
    women smell so nice.

I feel creepy when I suddenly notice that someone smells really nice.

Like, it pops in to my head, and suddenly I have to repress it because I am usually not in a situation where saying that is acceptable.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    9:30 pm.

Time for breakfast.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    women smell so nice.

Like, it pops in to my head, and suddenly I have to repress it because I am usually not in a situation where saying that is acceptable.

You can always say, "I really love that perfume/cologne/organic eau de toilette"

• Options
    Winky, you have so many concerns.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I watched some women's weight lifting when I got home from school and it's the best Olympics I've watched so far.

Too early in the day and too unimportant to justify the NBC treatment so they mostly just let it run with minimal commentary.

I can't watch swimming or gymnastics or any of the other high profile events because it is so fucking cut up and the endless fucking talking heads and their irrelevant stories and music sequences are infuriating.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Yeah. The only narrative should be the one that suffuses the olympics as a whole: that of athletic accomplishment

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The NBC cutting the memorial thing really just causes me to picture the howls of outrage if a european broadcaster cut a 9/11 memorial in similar circumstances.

• Options
    women smell so nice.

You can always say, "I really love that perfume/cologne/organic eau de toilette"

Perhaps.

Usually it catches me off-guard too, because it's like you will just randomly happen to be in a position where you are close enough to them to suddenly smell them.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    women smell so nice.

yeah, really as long as you avoid "you smell real nice" you're safe.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Winky, you have so many concerns.

Yes.

So. Many.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    nbc has the olympics through 2020 as of right now

damn it all

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    i changed the OP even though no one will ever look at it again as soon as this hits page 2

you crybabies

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @elldren, @jacobkosh

Captain Mako week is coming up for CoX. You guys up for some shark related puns and amusements?

• Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    nbc has the olympics through 2020 as of right now

damn it all

Canada has some pretty decent coverage its on 24/7 pretty much so thats good.

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    i changed the OP even though no one will ever look at it again as soon as this hits page 2

you crybabies

All I'm seeing are Dead Kennedy logos

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That makes it easy to notice desc, thanks.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.