As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EVE] A friend is just a spy that hasn't betrayed you yet.

• Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    JediNight wrote: »
    Anyone else remember this flash? :)
    http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0704/rmrnstuff.swf

I don't even play EVE but I cracked up big time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Anyone else remember this flash? :)
    http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0704/rmrnstuff.swf

I don't even play EVE but I cracked up big time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Papillon wrote: »

There still might be; it just won't involve Goonswarm.

In the end, it always involves Goonswarm.

Does this mean I can jump clone back up to my jewing sector and try out my newly skilled up Tengu? I haven't had a day off in like a week so I missed well, everything. But on the plus side, I have income again.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Yeah, JC back. We're done. Everything heavy is leaving the area today, so it's pretty much the train out of town.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    So damn, I managed to get two jumps away from my home base in ED territory, and got caught flat footed by a Tengu. At least it was only a Hurricane :lol:

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    TrekkieTrekkie Registered User regular
    that flash is better than most eve youtube vids, with maybe exception of this Nulli Secunda recruitment video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMkCPRDgcCs

I don't know if that is NWS or not, it's youtube, but they hired some cam girl to do their video and she's wearing a bikini top while saying eve lingo, it's rather hilarious. The best part is they abandoned Delve days later for faction warfare after Goons permacamped the 319 station for a week or so.

Eve Online: Zareph
  • Options
    I wonder if it's worth throwing EVE's client on my SSD. It'd load faster, for sure, but... Hm. Does it do all that much writing to the HDD?

• Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Only if you're logging chat I would imagine. Otherwise the only thing would be preferences, right? As long as you're setting any page file or like photoshop cache to a magnetic drive, you should be fine. If you do find something you're worried it writes to a lot, you can always make a symbolic link over to another drive.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    I wonder if it's worth throwing EVE's client on my SSD. It'd load faster, for sure, but... Hm. Does it do all that much writing to the HDD?

It does load faster, and there is a difference in big fights.

• Options
    Yeah, I would assume during large battles when you have a lot of ships jumping in, etc. -- it needs to load new textures whenever that happens, so the SSD will do that faster. Otherwise -- RAM is really cheap (I got 16gb for example) -- you might even be able to make a RAM drive and dump the entire set of texture files into RAM with symlinks to load it even faster than an SSD ;)

• Options
    Only if you're logging chat I would imagine. Otherwise the only thing would be preferences, right? As long as you're setting any page file or like photoshop cache to a magnetic drive, you should be fine. If you do find something you're worried it writes to a lot, you can always make a symbolic link over to another drive.

I believe the chat logs are held in your Appdata folder, or My Documents, both of which I've moved to my traditional HDD.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    and all the little portrait files. In my eve days I formated a flash drive NTFS and plopped my eve cache files on it using a little wizardry.

Performance increase get.

• Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    Regarding the warning for ATI cards, anyone have an update on that? I've been using a 6870 since about February (had an Nvidia before), and haven't had any problems or heat. Searching didn't turn up anything.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I think that was a pretty quick hotfix, where it was only active for a week or so.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ATI's fine. Plus, if you're sane you'll turn off station environments the first thing you do when logging in, unless you like giving out free beta testing for a MMORPG they don't even have the decency to let you into the beta for.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    Yeah it's almost certainly safe to check out station environments on your computer. What little there is to check out, that is.

• Options
    Yeah it's almost certainly safe to check out station environments on your computer. What little there is to check out, that is.

Hey now, you can walk around in a single cramped room with a couch and an (Admittedly awesome) TV.

Really wish we could have that TV as a window in stations with CQ turned off. It's neat watching the news.

• Options
    So Nulli Secunda of course, said they were going to move over to FW in Empire. RED.Alliance is getting tenant space in Omist, Vera Cruz is evacuating to Detorid. Who is that Tribal Band? Some corp from Nulli thats just holding ground until they get kicked out or something, I guess?

• Options
    runaway_pancakerunaway_pancake Registered User regular
    Tribal Band is a Test ally.

• Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular

Which is not going to stop delvegoons making diplomatic incidents once they are not blue to us...

In case anyone is thinking about playing this terrible game:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K8DP60/?tag=gspremiumnew-20 is a good deal. The ship is worth enough to buy another months game time at the moment.

• Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular

I don't care for the "captain's lounge" or whatever, but I do love spinning my ship in the hangar.

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Oh what's up new thread.

One important thing to know about EVE Online is that dredditMOT makes the best videos. Full stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGobBjJPJKk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eEonyVTi7M

Drain on
    N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    Those are pretty good, the random video link to the "I'm in a Rokh" video was pretty funny too.

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    Teslan26 wrote: »

Which is not going to stop delvegoons making diplomatic incidents once they are not blue to us...

In case anyone is thinking about playing this terrible game:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K8DP60/?tag=gspremiumnew-20 is a good deal. The ship is worth enough to buy another months game time at the moment.
    No only that, but that Booster is the bees knees. Started a mining alt two days ago, and going to be able to install +5 implants like like... 4 days, then it's about a month until I can fly a Hulk.
    :3

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    I like the phrasing for the latest CCP shitting on Nullsec. "Fuck it up now, Fix it later... Maybe."

• Options
    I like the phrasing for the latest CCP shitting on Nullsec. "Fuck it up now, Fix it later... Maybe."

What? What's happening?

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    KiTA's a little angry about the upcoming alchemy changes.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    They arn't the best solution, but they seem more ineffective than anything.

• Options
    Tech is going to lose upwards of 90% of its current value once the changes go through. Combined with the buff to highsec mining, this represents the endgame of CCP fucking up Eve's risk/return balance. After this patch, there won't be a single part of nullsec that's more worth living in than highsec.

• Options
    LochielLochiel Registered User regular
    I guess I'm even less familiar with the proposed changes than I thought I was. Where is the 90% number coming from? All of the discussion about it that I've seen has claimed that alchemy won't be worth doing except in special cases.

• Options
    What are they doing to highsec mining? Going to have the ability to scan down secret belts with better ore, or something?

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    But why though? Why render so much of the space in your own game so worthless? Why are they trying to squeeze so many people into Empire?

Why not just go the whole way and convert most of the nul-sec systems into high-sec systems if the aim of the game is to fill it with as many hulk-in-6.0-or-higher miners, mission runners and 'explorers'?

If I may ask though; Who was gaining the Technetium money, and what were they using said money for?

• Options
    Lochiel wrote: »
    I guess I'm even less familiar with the proposed changes than I thought I was. Where is the 90% number coming from? All of the discussion about it that I've seen has claimed that alchemy won't be worth doing except in special cases.
    The GSF finance team projects a post-patch equilibrium price of around 16,000pu, compared to a peak of nearly 200,000pu during the OTEC period.

The mining buff involves boosting the tank of hulks to make them nigh-ungankable.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh, well I honestly have mixed feelings about that then. I understand why highsec Hulk mining is rather cheap and retarded. But on the flipside, I always lamented why a giant mining barge would be so incredibly defenseless while still costing so much money. (When I played, a well equipped Hulk could run you 1B+ ISK) Being able to be popped in 5 secs or less with that kinda money outlay, was rather shitty. (When mining in nullsec, that is)

JediNight on
  • Options
    What are they doing to highsec mining? Going to have the ability to scan down secret belts with better ore, or something?

The entitled fuckwits on the forums cried loud enough and rather than tell them to harden the fuck up and start fitting a tank, CCP is trying to make them invincible again with new ships designed to be ungankable before Concord shows up.

Yes, that's right: highsec miners are literally too fucking stupid to properly fit a ship. So they're building the tank into the hull now.

Because when you have a group of players in your game who are, in the best possible scenario, AFK and stupid (in actuality, about 75% of them are running bots), the best possible way to handle having a bunch of morons and/or cheaters is to use your very limited development resources to make life easier for them, not harder.

But yeah, @runaway_pancake has it pretty much right: They're skullfucking Tech into the ground value wise, at the same time they're making highsec mining completely risk free. The reasoning behind this is... Uh...

CCP.

(I actually think this is punishment for the Faction Five making 5 trillion isk because CCP wouldn't listen to reason, but have no evidence of that.)

What I'm waiting to see is when Nullsec starts literally falling apart because people aren't making enough money to pay SOV bills anymore. Maybe then CCP will do something about it. But probably not. Their response would probably be something along the lines of "just go mine in highsec for a while."

• Options
    They could literally fix bot mining right now, this very fucking day, by adding a Captcha to mining. You mine, you have a 1 in 5, 1 in 10, 1 in 20, what have you, chance of triggering a captcha. You fail to respond, or respond wrong, and your lasers take 100% heat damage, meaning you have to go repair them in a station and can't mine until you do.

Ta-da, no more bot mining. But they won't do it, for the same reason they're pandering to the bot miners right now: Microsoft Logic.

Back in the day, Asheron's Call had a huge problem with bots. Turbine, the devs, wanted to fix it. Microsoft, the publisher, refused to let them. Why? "Because the bot owners are running like 20 accounts at a time, and the numbers say that not 20 real players will quit for each bot player if we don't fix it."

So the bots stayed, for years, until they destroyed the economy. Economy died, and combined with Microsoft's sabotage and a lack of any marketing, and AC died. People couldn't complete with the bots, unless they played like a bot or got a bot themselves.

Same reasoning here. The bot players are paying so much a month that CCP doesn't want to piss them off. The numbers say they make more money putting forth a token anti-bot effort than they would make if they actually cleaned out the bots.

The bot players are, quite frankly, worth more than us.

• Options
    Tech is going to lose upwards of 90% of its current value once the changes go through. Combined with the buff to highsec mining, this represents the endgame of CCP fucking up Eve's risk/return balance. After this patch, there won't be a single part of nullsec that's more worth living in than highsec.

This analysis seems to disregard the fact that most of nullsec is devoid of tech and people are in fact living there right now, not only without any tech, but also with the additional cost of living imposed by the tech monopolists. And indeed people lived happily in 0.0 in the pre-invention days before moons were really worth anything signifcant. So: you're completely wrong.

Naturally, I sure am sorry that you space-republicans will have to live like the common hoi-polloi without your gloriously effortless tech monopoly subsidy, but I'm sure that you'll find that you're able to scratch along in CCP's proposed new wealth-through-population activity model for 0.0 somehow. You know, with your 9000-man alliance. (While you're still rich, could I possibly interest you gentlemen in anything from our excellent range of Angel ship BPCs?)

0.0 is not in competition with hi-sec to produce tritanium. A buff to hi-sec mining will lower the cost of low-end minerals, making such high dollar items as capital ships and outposts cheaper, and will in turn somewhat boost the price of high-ends.

• Options
    They could literally fix bot mining right now, this very fucking day, by adding a Captcha to mining

You are the silliest of geese for unironically proposing this silliest of ideas, which has been shot down so many times that proposing it on the eve-o forums is now prima facia trolling.

• Options
    Same reasoning here. The bot players are paying so much a month that CCP doesn't want to piss them off. The numbers say they make more money putting forth a token anti-bot effort than they would make if they actually cleaned out the bots.

The bot players are, quite frankly, worth more than us.

Hi, V1m again! I'm afraid you are demonstrably wrong about this too. CCP make little or no money from botting accounts, although I can understand why you might at first think they do.

Very, very few bot accounts are paid for with a legitimate subscription. A significant proportion are paid for with fraudulent credit card accounts. Of course CCP not only don't make any money from these accounts, they actually lose quite a bit due to administration overhead and charges made by the credit card companies.

Virtually all of the rest are paid for with PLEX. Whilst CCP are paid for the PLEX, the idea that if bot accounts didn't exist, they wouldn't get paid for those PLEX is fallacious, because there are plenty of human players who would be more than happy to buy those PLEX instead. And in addition, many botters use their bots to generate "effortless" ISK; thus the bots are also directly competing with CCP in the market, and undercutting them by using CCP's own resources against them. Arguably, botters may well inflate the price of PLEX (both through their demand for them and by directly inflating the EVE economy) and encourage more to be sold, but the net value of those bot accounts to CCP is far, far smaller than a naive "1000 bots = 1000 PLEX = $17500 per month for CCP!" calculation.

And finally, bots use a hugely disproportionate amount of server resources. I'm sure you've seen the server utilisation graphs showing that TQ utilisation went down by something like 30% after 6,000 bot accounts (about 1 in every 60 total) accounts were banned. This implies that a 23/7 bot account uses something like 20x as much resources as an average player account.

In short: CCP have every incentive to persecute bots. The major limitations are imposing "costs" on legitimate players, like making them solve stupid captcha puzzles in a real time, full loss PvP game, and banning legitiamte accounts for "bot-like" activity. the long term solution is to reform PvE activities into less bot-friendly modes. (ie: make them more difficult, unpredictable and engaging)

• Options
    phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    Drain wrote: »
    Oh what's up new thread.

One important thing to know about EVE Online is that dredditMOT makes the best videos. Full stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGobBjJPJKk

Spent all day with a Japanese pop song in my head. I will find you in space for this!

This discussion has been closed.