As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LGBT]: Bigots can go eat a bag of [Chick-Fil-A]

• BandableBandable Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Smoogy wrote: »
    People just need to realize that if you patronize Chick-fil-a, this does not mean that you support anti-gay rhetoric/policy just as those who are against the boycott should understand why those who do choose that path.
    You may not support the demonization of gays emotionally when you eat at CFA, but you do support it monetarily. Both matter.

You just can't be pleased and, frankly, I don't think I'd want to. The world is not black and white, regardless of your view on it.

Uh, the world is plenty of times black and white, or maybe I am just not familiar with the sunny aspects of the Ku Klux Klan. In the case above it is also fairly black and white in the fact that:

A). You don't have to eat at CFA.
    B). When you do, you can directly track your money going into Cathy's pocket.
    and C). Cathy's uses his money to support hate groups.

Fundamentally, when you inform someone about the above and they don't care, then I do lose some respect for them. I'm not going to write them off as a friend, but I am going to note that their values and morals probably stop at what is convenient for them.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Hitler had some really progressive ideas in terms of nationalized infrastructure. Also, he had people put into ovens and turned into soap, and murdered millions of innocent people so he could rule the world.

• BandableBandable Registered User regular
    Hitler had some really progressive ideas in terms of nationalized infrastructure. Also, he had people put into ovens and turned into soap, and murdered millions of innocent people so he could rule the world.

what-about-the-good-things-hitler-did.gif

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I've never quite understood why Bert & Ernie had to be gay...surely there are those of you on the very forum with a male roommate.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    Do you seriously think that protests, boycotts, etc of business like Chick-A-Fil-A don't hurt?

You haven't noticed a pretty regular pattern?

1. Business discriminates against gays.
    2. Fury is rained down on them, boycotts begin.
    3. Business changes it's policy.

It happens all the time. It just happened with that Fargo newspaper, even though they probably wouldn't get a lot of gay wedding announcements anyway. Whether it's the loss of money or the public humiliation that makes businesses change I could not say, but it often DOES have an effect.

But even if it doesn't change Chik-a-Fil-A's policy . . . do you want any of YOUR money going towards gay hating groups? Even if nothing changes, that is not where I want my hard-earned dollars to go. Same reason I don't buy blood diamonds. I don't pretend that my action can single-handedly change the diamond industry. But MY money isn't going towards it if I can help it.

And this is such an easy thing to do. I mean, not eating fast food--anyone who finds that an actual struggle deserves all the "FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS" memes that are thrown at them.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I've never quite understood why Bert & Ernie had to be gay...surely there are those of you on the very forum with a male roommate.

Don't they kinda sleep in the same bed?

Edit:twin beds nevermind

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    No, they have two separate beds, one with a "B" carved on it and one with an "E" carved on it.

Gay or straight, they are awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paj43J0pi4s

• XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    They've been "roommates" for 40 years.

Xobyte wrote: »
    They've been "roommates" for 40 years.

I didn't know puppets aged.

FU7kFbw.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I still think what the Avenue Q team did to celebrate SSM in NY was awesome, and adorable.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I still think what the Avenue Q team did to celebrate SSM in NY was awesome, and adorable.

link?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    KalTorak wrote: »

link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bPmL51_hxA"]youtube.com/watch?v=3bPmL51_hxA

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    d'aww

Yup, boycotting a big business like CFA won't have any effect, why even bother?

Chick-fil-A brand health dives 40 percent after anti-LGBT remarks
    Market research firm YouGov found that Chick-fil-A’s BrandIndex score had fallen 40 percent nationally since Dan Cathy told the Baptist Press that his company was “guilty as charged” of funding groups that oppose marriage equality.

YouGov determined the BrandIndex score by averaging other measurements, including “quality, impression, value, reputation, satisfaction and willingness to recommend.”

When Cathy’s remarks were published on July 19, Chick-fil-A was enjoying a national score of 65, one of the highest in the industry. By July 25, its BrandIndex had plummeted to 39.

In the South, Chick-fil-A’s BrandIndex fell from 80 to 44. And the company’s brand was damaged the most in the Northeast, where the score dove from 76 to 35.

now to find out what the heck a BrandIndex is...

Wait, if "65" is "one of the highest in the industry" what point scale does this thing go to? If it's 100 that's pretty sad if 65 is one of the highest.

Would love to know who's on top.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Not ones where you just sit there in the room with them while they take a bubble bath.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUn26ADZG4&feature=related

Mad King George on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular

Wait, he turned people into SOAP?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Magus` wrote: »

Small scale experimentation with the process - they made like 30 kgs of soap total... but the whole mass production of nazi soap from the Jewish dead is bullshit.

Still the fact that they made any soap at all is pretty fucking D:

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »

so hitler is Tyler Durden!

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

They've been roommates for FORTY YEARS. That's ten presidential terms.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    Wait, if "65" is "one of the highest in the industry" what point scale does this thing go to? If it's 100 that's pretty sad if 65 is one of the highest.

My guess is the 1-100 scale gets used for a bunch of different industries, and 65 was one of the highest in the fast food industry.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Smoogy wrote:
    Sometimes it's just fun to play devil's advocate, especially because Chick-fil-a is a cherished organization of mine and a lot of people are slinging hate against it without knowing the full story;

The full story is that Dan Cathy took ownership for donating very large sums of money to some very terrible organizations that use money to influence votes and erode any chance of LGBT equality in codified systems.
    Smoogy wrote:
    Maybe some are or have wrong beliefs on certain things.
    Not maybe, but in fact, very wrong. The worst is that Dan Cathy takes pride in his statements. Also, it doesn't make sense from a business perspective and a lot of franchisees are super pissed at their business loss. Local managers are freaking out and trying to do damage control because even the people that run the stores know that shit is fucked up.
    Smoogy wrote:
    (which I think also holds true for some of those "hate groups" people seem to think Chick-fil-a donated to.
    No need for quotes. Those groups exist solely to deny the rights of other groups.
    Smoogy wrote:
    I think this article sums up a lot of stuff, that I wish other Christians would read. Who'da thunk it, a voice of reason amidst chaos! And I should have listened to it as well before being flippant to boycotters.

That is a fairly passive aggressive and toxic article. My rights are already diminished and I'm not really looking forward to my modern day legal oppressor dictating how I go about dealing with that oppression or setting the tone or giving guidelines for how the discussion should be handled.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I never liked the gay Ernie and Bert crap. It's Sesame Street for fuck's sake, keep the sleazy jokes out of it.

Regarding Chikafila, it's really amazing how many verifiable facts people have to blatantly ignore to still be able to support them without having to just admit "yeah gays are abominations".

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I never liked the gay Ernie and Bert crap. It's Sesame Street for fuck's sake, keep the sleazy jokes out of it.

This right here. I support gay rights as much as the next guy but I could summon nothing but eye rolling for the "make Bert and Ernie gay" campaign. The show is for pre-schoolers, there's no need to be politicising it. The shows makers for what it's worth handled it the best way possible by pretty much saying "they're puppets, they don't have a sexual orientation".

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Regarding Chikafila, it's really amazing how many verifiable facts people have to blatantly ignore to still be able to support them without having to just admit "yeah gays are abominations".
    The thing that miffs me right now is that there are some very well meaning (and I hold little disdain for them) apologists who want to bridge the LGBT and fundamentalist communities (like that blog post) by urging their Christian brethren to not hurt our feelings. The sure sign of a privileged argument is when people can't recognize that it isn't feelings that are being hurt. It is our legal and financial livelihood.

Yeah, as far as I know none of the Sesame Street puppets have any sort of romantic inclinations (except Kermit and Miss Piggy).

That is a fairly passive aggressive and toxic article. My rights are already diminished and I'm not really looking forward to my modern day legal oppressor dictating how I go about dealing with that oppression or setting the tone or giving guidelines for how the discussion should be handled.

From the article:
    . . . please remember that not all Christians who speak out against gay marriage are bigots or homophobes, and calling them those names is as unjust as it is unkind. Many of the people I love most in my life fall into this “camp,” and most of them mean it when they say that they sincerely love their friends and relatives in the LGBT community and wish they knew of some way to hold to their convictions without hurting or insulting their neighbors.

They're not bigots or homophobes, they just really don't want certain people to be happy and given the same rights as everyone else because [CITATION NEEDED].

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Re: Bert and Ernie, when they first came around, twin beds were still a common way married couples were shown sleeping on TV. It wasn't quite the 50's anymore where two people could be shown on one bed if three feet were on the floor and the door was open, but it was still an easy controversy dodge. At the time friends or room mates simply weren't shown that way, but married couples were. It was a little more than just "they live together therefore the gay" at the time.

Brandindex is based on untargeted polling and surveys, as far as I'm aware. My understanding is people not knowing your brand also counts against you, not just negative opinions. But any open survey like that, you won't get close to 100, for the same reason a president will probably not see 65% approval rating in our lifetimes. Looking through their current top lists, I can't even see anything close to 75 - airlines top out in the 20's, Subway is just over 40, and apparently it can go negative, because Myspace has -10, and that's an almost 4 point improvement over last year.

Hevach on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Also, it's a 1-bedroom apartment in New York, they probably can't afford a 2-BR these days.

So, with marrage equality as a bullet point this year at the DNC, I wonder how it's going to affect both parties. Is it actually gonna sway anyone or what?

newSig.jpg

From the article:
    . . . please remember that not all Christians who speak out against gay marriage are bigots or homophobes, and calling them those names is as unjust as it is unkind. Many of the people I love most in my life fall into this “camp,” and most of them mean it when they say that they sincerely love their friends and relatives in the LGBT community and wish they knew of some way to hold to their convictions without hurting or insulting their neighbors.

Yes, if only they could take people's rights away without hurting or insulting them. It's just so difficult having these kinds of problems, Ross, I don't think you're giving them enough sympathy. When people refuse to like you just because you're tryin to take their rights away, it can make you feel so lonely and persecuted.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Re: Bert and Ernie, when they first came around, twin beds were still a common way married couples were shown sleeping on TV. It wasn't quite the 50's anymore where two people could be shown on one bed if three feet were on the floor and the door was open, but it was still an easy controversy dodge. At the time friends or room mates simply weren't shown that way, but married couples were. It was a little more than just "they live together therefore the gay" at the time.

Brandindex is based on untargeted polling and surveys, as far as I'm aware. My understanding is people not knowing your brand also counts against you, not just negative opinions. But any open survey like that, you won't get close to 100, for the same reason a president will probably not see 65% approval rating in our lifetimes. Looking through their current top lists, I can't even see anything close to 75 - airlines top out in the 20's, Subway is just over 40, and apparently it can go negative, because Myspace has -10, and that's an almost 4 point improvement over last year.

Dude... Puppets.

From the article:

Yes, if only they could take people's rights away without hurting or insulting them. It's just so difficult having these kinds of problems, Ross, I don't think you're giving them enough sympathy. When people refuse to like you just because you're tryin to take their rights away, it can make you feel so lonely and persecuted.

Oh, those mean ol' progressivists, making life hard for all those friendly Christian hatemongers. My heart bleeds for them.

My exercise to them would be to have them write down their beliefs on paper and see it actualized before them. People seem to have a harder time defending themselves when they can see how it looks.

"Hmm . . let's see. I don't want gay rights . . . or abortion rights . . . or women's rights . . . I despise science and education . . . and I easily give in to jingoistic fearmongering and religious rhetoric. According to the algorithm here . . . . carry the one . . . . . . . oh. It says I'm worse than Hitler. Oh dear."

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who doesnt care if B and E are gay?

God damn, "I'm not racists, I have a black friend, but Obama is not black! He's really white!"

That's how it sounds like.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Yeah, as far as I know none of the Sesame Street puppets have any sort of romantic inclinations (except Kermit and Miss Piggy).

Straight Inter-Species romance outside of marriage?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    Am I the only one who doesnt care if B and E are gay?

God damn, "I'm not racists, I have a black friend, but Obama is not black! He's really white!"

That's how it sounds like.

Of course, it doesn't help that people like Jesse Jackson, Spike Lee, and Morgan Freeman are saying the same thing about Barack Obama, i.e., "not really Black/not Black enough/doesn't represent the average Black citizen's experience."

agoaj wrote: »

Straight Inter-Species romance outside of marriage?

The way God intended.

(didn't they get married at some point?)

Nocren wrote: »
    Also, it's a 1-bedroom apartment in New York, they probably can't afford a 2-BR these days.

So, with marrage equality as a bullet point this year at the DNC, I wonder how it's going to affect both parties. Is it actually gonna sway anyone or what?

Wait, what? Are we still talking about Bert & Ernie? Because I'm sure they live on Sesame Street, not New York.

FU7kFbw.png
    Sesame Street isn't in NYC?

i guess you're going to have to tell me how to get how to get there.

So . . . this happened:

original.jpg

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Behind the times, man.

CNN played a "stupid girls" "on accident" before a segment about that story.

Then they apologized.

I lol'd.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.