As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boston Game Night - July Edition - Tuesday, July 29th - Khadour's Last Stand

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    So, chaosisorder brought me some Japanese Oreos at East. FatherVenom and I ripped them open this weekend, taste-tested them, and baked them into chocolate chip cookies. They are fruity flavors and we mixed them all up so we don't know which cookie is which flavor >:) Hope you're all feeling adventurous tomorrow night!

HI3789R.png
  • FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jaylew wrote: »
    well, other than Magic. In the time since PAX she's probably played upward of 90 hours of MTG, either with me using random decks or on Duels2012. She actually beats me now, it's amazing and mortifying at the same time.

As the resident Magic Guy (Started back in 97 & play regularly with the MA, RI, & Conn champions) this sparks my interest. JJ Foley's isn't necessarily the best place to play (beer + cards = sad) but if you're interested pack some decks & I'll show up with an assortment of difficulties. Format doesn't really matter but commander is probably too long of a time investment... unless you're down with that. I have a very fun EDH deck if that's really what you want to do. Or 2HG potentially. Punzie knows how to play and I can usually wrangle at least one game out of her.

FatherVenom on
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    I won't be able to come this month, due to hardcore work with a consultant this week- but for MTG, what ruleset do you use? Legacy, Vintage, Current Block, Extended?

I have a hellacious monoblack vintage/legacy (not sure which atm) deck, and at least two in-block decks- I'd have to check, since they keep rotating on me. Those are pure Zendikar block :P

Do you use Proxy rules? I don't use many, but some of them could be addressed ahead of time (I probably have enough black fetchlands, I just prefer a variety in a normal battle scenario :P) but some I just can't afford yet (Black Lotus, Mana Vault.. uh.. I actually think that might be it for "Yea can't buy that right now" but it might be a couple others) Proxies are under 10 total right now for that deck, and it probably could roll without them, it'd just be less efficient.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    Like I said in the previous post, Format's not really an issue. That said, I'm absolutely not bringing my T1 dredge to JJ's. The tables even after busing can be sticky and it's a restaurant. I'm not plopping my $800 deck down in a place where beer spills are frequent. Sorry. Feel free to bust out your vintage deck if you feel like laying out some uncontested smack down but we'll only be playing 1 game of that before I quit.

Oddly enough I don't have a current Type 2 deck built. I HATE Innistrad block. I play with as little of the sets as I can. That coupled with trying to save money & EDH being very fun & prevalent in my gaming circles have led me to not laying down the cash to build a new deck. Closest thing I have is a pauper deck I built for a tourney when Zendikar was legal. I'll bring it, but it was pauper back then & Innistrad's power creep was ridiculous (despite WotC's assurances to rein it in this cycle) so it's not going to be super competitive. C tier if that.

I played very little Magic at PAX. I try to only do things I can't do otherwise. But I built decks mostly to play with casual players. Legacy rules, but not legacy competitive decks.

I will have on me tomorrow:
    Legacy Thallids - a fun deck that is built to withstand multiplayer without any real oomph.
    EDH Project Group Hug - another fun deck specific to the EDH format (mtgcommander.net for details) that helps out the whole table so everyone can have a blast with this fun format (WARNING: This deck can cause multiple hour games. If that's not your thing we shouldn't start this.)
    Pauper Infect - a much more competitve deck using the pauper format (commons only) from last year when Zendikar - New Phyrexia was in standard
    Legacy RippleRats - a funny deck, very glass cannon (few proxies that won't impact any games)

I will not be bringing these decks again unless specifically requested. The non-EDH decks will be available for loan during the night to responsible individuals with the caveat that when I'm headed for home they're coming with me.

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    >:) Hope you're all feeling adventurous tomorrow night!
    Aren't we always?

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• JaylewJaylew Registered User regular
    Scratch my enthusiasm (seriously, why do I bother using that emotion anymore? It never ends well for me) for showing up tonight. New (and first, woo) client needs me to enter crunch mode and whip out a few dozen storyboard layouts by tomorrow afternoon and girlfriend has piles of homework, so we wont be there THIS month. Stupid reality, never working MY way.

Next month is a definite, though.

• arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    ffff. I totally thought about grabbing my mtg decks on my way out the door today, but decided against it ><

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    Was good seeing everyone last night - updated the OP for May. Looking forward to our next gathering!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    ffff. I totally thought about grabbing my mtg decks on my way out the door today, but decided against it ><

Every time I think I'm out they pull me back in! (Name that quote)

trinistand wrote: »

Every time I think I'm out they pull me back in! (Name that quote)

Yeah, but III was probably the worst of them . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

Like I said in the previous post, Format's not really an issue. That said, I'm absolutely not bringing my T1 dredge to JJ's. The tables even after busing can be sticky and it's a restaurant. I'm not plopping my $800 deck down in a place where beer spills are frequent. Sorry. Feel free to bust out your vintage deck if you feel like laying out some uncontested smack down but we'll only be playing 1 game of that before I quit.

Oddly enough I don't have a current Type 2 deck built. I HATE Innistrad block. I play with as little of the sets as I can. That coupled with trying to save money & EDH being very fun & prevalent in my gaming circles have led me to not laying down the cash to build a new deck. Closest thing I have is a pauper deck I built for a tourney when Zendikar was legal. I'll bring it, but it was pauper back then & Innistrad's power creep was ridiculous (despite WotC's assurances to rein it in this cycle) so it's not going to be super competitive. C tier if that.

I played very little Magic at PAX. I try to only do things I can't do otherwise. But I built decks mostly to play with casual players. Legacy rules, but not legacy competitive decks.

I will have on me tomorrow:
    Legacy Thallids - a fun deck that is built to withstand multiplayer without any real oomph.
    EDH Project Group Hug - another fun deck specific to the EDH format (mtgcommander.net for details) that helps out the whole table so everyone can have a blast with this fun format (WARNING: This deck can cause multiple hour games. If that's not your thing we shouldn't start this.)
    Pauper Infect - a much more competitve deck using the pauper format (commons only) from last year when Zendikar - New Phyrexia was in standard
    Legacy RippleRats - a funny deck, very glass cannon (few proxies that won't impact any games)

I will not be bringing these decks again unless specifically requested. The non-EDH decks will be available for loan during the night to responsible individuals with the caveat that when I'm headed for home they're coming with me.

My Zendikar decks have absolutely no innistrad atm, probably would be destroyed by 'em, but that's fine.

My monoblack, I probably won't bring whenever I came, but it's a randomization deck- I either have to mulligan like crazy, or wait for it to cascade- so it actually pretty much is going to lose without heavy mulliganing about 60% of the time. It abuses some rare mechanics to be mostly funny in vintage tournaments because no one expects the gravestorm inquisition.

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    I know it's a whole month away but I got requests to bring my magic decks again so they'll be there this month.

Also I'll be bringing my modified Onyxia WoW TCG raid deck. It's a lot of fun so if this interests you feel free to bring a WoW deck. People played a dungeon crawl this past month so it's very doable.

Alright - game night is next Tuesday! Any game requests?

xWDsUaZ.png

Teach FatherVenom to play Stone Age? Seems like something he'd like.

HI3789R.png
    I'll be bringing Lords of Waterdeep, Ascension, my mtg decks, & my Onyixa WoW tcg raid deck.

If someone has Bang I'd like to play that. I'll check if Aryooki can bring it but they said last month they'd probably be a no-show this month as well.

Someone PM the night before so I can remember Arson's umbrella this time...

Teach FatherVenom to play Stone Age? Seems like something he'd like.

Stone Age has a near-permanent place in the box 'o gaming love. Any other requests?

xWDsUaZ.png

I'll see everyone tonight!

xWDsUaZ.png

Was great seeing everyone again - OP updated for next month (including new linky to the PAX community calendar event).

xWDsUaZ.png

This is tomorrow night - any game requests?

xWDsUaZ.png

Game on tonight! Any requests?

xWDsUaZ.png

Lords of Waterdeep so I don't have to shlep my copy on the T, please.

I will have my EDH decks with me tonight in case people were wondering. Prepare for the silliness that is Pheldagriff!

No worries - I was planning on bringing it anyway. It fits the length/complexity requirements for game night almost ideally . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

Great crowd last night - was awesome seeing everyone and playing games with you all! OP updated for August's game night. No better way to pre-game PAX Prime! Come on down!

xWDsUaZ.png

• LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    That was a great last night. Hopefully next one will be even better. Tuesday before PAX!

AN9buWz.png
    Any game requests for tomorrow night?

xWDsUaZ.png

Great seeing everyone again last night - those of you heading to Prime, have a great time, and we'll see you next month!

xWDsUaZ.png

• KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder this is tomorrow night, I'll be bringing Cards Against Humanity (including both expansions) and my camera. I'll probably be walking around downtown for an hour or so beforehand.

JfqWFk8.png
    Yay I get to go to gamenights again :)

HI3789R.png
    Looks like Kilonum beat me to my usual reminder. Anyone have any game requests? I've already been asked to bring SmallWorld . . .
    Yay I get to go to gamenights again :)
    And there was much rejoicing - can't wait to see you tonight!

xWDsUaZ.png

Well, J. J. Foley's was kind enough to donate $100 to Child's Play on Tuesday night - they really love having us there! OP updated with the October information, but I'm not entirely sure that I will be able to make it. All depends on how my work travel schedule pans out. If not, I may need a volunteer to bring some games down . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

Next month I will try to remember to take my pain meds for my back beforehand so I don't have to leave as early.

JfqWFk8.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm finally going to be able to make it to one, and I'll be bringing a new person with me

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    I'm aiming to try and make the October meetup. If so, I'll be bringing Zombicide (20 minutes to an hour and a half, depending) and will need one of the larger tables- up to 6 players ;)

Again, I can't promise it yet, but I'm working on it! :P

OK, plans are finalized, and I WILL be able to make it this month (and there was much rejoicing . . . on my part, anyway - some of you probably feel different about it ;) )

@gigabrain - cool, it'll be good to see you again!

@Kiashien - I don't think I've seen you since East last year, so it'd be great to catch up. I've got my copy of Zombicide, but haven't played it yet (just haven't had enough time!) . . .

xWDsUaZ.png

@khadour I will rejoice at your presence :D And @gigabrain 's too since I haven't seen you in awhile.

HI3789R.png
    @khadour Despite being in the boston area, technically, due to working all the way up in Ipswich, this has to sadly be a special event for me- it's really hard for me to come on a weekday It doesn't take any actual time off per say, but I do have to organize to leave early, what train I'll take into boston, etc.

Kind of annoying, since at my last job you literally would have been less than 30 seconds away!

It'll be nice if I can come and see you and @gigabrain especially since I owe him a good meal!

Got a second job and almost started work that night. Fixed that one right quick. See you guys next week :)

HI3789R.png
    I will once again have EDH decks with me (including one to lend if anyone is interested) & pokemon carts from each DS generation.

Looking at you Richard...

Sadly, due to financial reasons, I will be unable to make it this month :(

JfqWFk8.png
    edited October 2012
    Oh hai double post

(mods please delete this was a mistake)

Kilonum on
    JfqWFk8.png