As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LGBT]: Bigots can go eat a bag of [Chick-Fil-A]

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Sesame Street isn't in NYC?

i guess you're going to have to tell me how to get how to get there.

Bravo sir. :^:

Also who cares if Bert and Ernie are or are not gay? I realize it's a kid's show, but I don't see how it matters one way or the other. I always thought it was a cute idea that they were a couple. I mean realistically they were probably more centered around an "Odd Couple" type of relationship.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

Huh, doing my research it is set in New York City.

I assumed it was just a random location, like Springfield.

My apologies to you and nocren.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    So . . . this happened:

original.jpg

You'll have to put this in a context for those of us who don't know who those people are.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    It's Todd and Sarah Palin.
    They're douchebags.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    So . . . this happened:

original.jpg

You'll have to put this in a context for those of us who don't know who those people are.

Looks like Lisa Ann and whomever she's dating right now.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    They're douchebags.

Douchebags holding douchebags.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Deebaser wrote: »
    They're douchebags.

Ahhh, I've never seen her husband and I didn't recognise Palin with the shades on.

Ha, what a cretin that chick is.

Casual on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Also who cares if Bert and Ernie are or are not gay? I realize it's a kid's show, but I don't see how it matters one way or the other. I always thought it was a cute idea that they were a couple. I mean realistically they were probably more centered around an "Odd Couple" type of relationship.

Well, who cares if Rosita's an immigrant or (I think it was Kami? On the African version Sesame Square) is HIV-positive? Tolerance is one of the over-arching themes in most of Sesame Street, and quite a few characters exist mainly for that theme. I mean, at one point they had a racist seagull who hated Snuffleupagus. Bert and Ernie interactions have mostly been with each other, and have mainly been about getting along in the face of personality clashes, but interactions between them as a pair and the rest of the cast could be made into a new lesson.

Hevach on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Yeah, as far as I know none of the Sesame Street puppets have any sort of romantic inclinations (except Kermit and Miss Piggy).

Straight Inter-Species romance outside of marriage?

The way God intended.

(didn't they get married at some point?)

I thought they were about to but decided they were too young to settle down and went to have more adventures.

No wait I think that's mamma Mia.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »

Well, who cares if Rosita's an immigrant or (I think it was Kami? On the African version Sesame Square) is HIV-positive? Tolerance is one of the over-arching themes in most of Sesame Street, and quite a few characters exist mainly for that theme. I mean, at one point they had a racist seagull who hated Snuffleupagus. Bert and Ernie interactions have mostly been with each other, and have mainly been about getting along in the face of personality clashes, but interactions between them as a pair and the rest of the cast could be made into a new lesson.

Why is it neccisary to introduce preschoolers to any kind of sexuality? This is an age where they still think babies come from storks. They have the rest of their lives to become entangled in the can of worms that is sexuality, can we wait until they've learned to count to ten before dropping that bomb on them?

Personally I've never liked using kids TV shows to indoctrinate political stances into them, not even good ones.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular

Huh, doing my research it is set in New York City.

I assumed it was just a random location, like Springfield.

My apologies to you and nocren.

It's cool. Part of Sesame Street is learning new things.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

I don't have an issue with them being perceived as gay I think it's a fine idea, I was directing my comment at the people who didn't like the idea that they were.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    BBCFA_interior1.jpg

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2012
    Personally I've never liked using kids TV shows to indoctrinate political stances into them, not even good ones.
    Tolerance is one of the strongest themes of Sesame Street. Always has been.

This should not be a political issue. It is an issue of tolerance and societal acceptance. You might as well say that Sesame Street shouldn't do bits on how stealing is wrong, why we shouldn't bully other kids, or why it's okay to be friends with people of all colors and creeds. All of which are things they have done.

And just because they have gay puppets does not mean there will be gay puppet sex or even the broaching of explicit conversation.

simply that two guys or two girls can like each other in that way and it is okay.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012

Why is it neccisary to introduce preschoolers to any kind of sexuality? This is an age where they still think babies come from storks. They have the rest of their lives to become entangled in the can of worms that is sexuality, can we wait until they've learned to count to ten before dropping that bomb on them?

If they were a gay couple, it would be perfectly simple to portray them as such without any reference to sexuality. I'm pretty sure kids' shows depict hetero marriages without talking about sex, it would be no different with a homosexual marriage.

You're falling into the trap of "homosexuals are defined only by the sex they have." anything hetero couples do on a kids show could be done by a homosexual couple.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular

If they were a gay couple, it would be perfectly simple to portray them as such without any reference to sexuality. I'm pretty sure kids' shows depict hetero marriages without talking about sex, it would be no different with a homosexual marriage.

You're falling into the trap of "homosexuals are defined only by the sex they have." anything hetero couples do on a kids show could be done by a homosexual couple.

Are there any heterosexual couples on Sesame Street? The whole street seems to be built on the perceptions and assumptions of toddlers, with the puppets basically being adultified children, and as such have no real perception of romantic love.

Of course, there's also the fact that the two, as an odd couple, would make a terribly incompatible marriage and would need a divorce.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    If they're gay then Bert's a pedophile because Ernie is repeatedly portrayed as an elementary school age kid.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

I always thought Bert and Ernie were basically Oscar and Felix for the kindergarten set! They are pretty much designed to teach how to get along with people who are different from you...since you don't always have to like your roommates but you do have to learn to deal w/it

Sesame Street always had little analog in- jokes and pop culture references, and that's what I thought they were supposed to be. I don't care what orientation they have, they're puppets.

And wow, how unsurprised am I at that Sarah Palin photo. What a useless human being.

• Options
    There were plenty of human characters on the show when I was growing up (Gordon, Mr. Hooper, I forget her name but I want to say Maria?). They were all adults, I'd be surprised if none of them were married.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    There were plenty of human characters on the show when I was growing up (Gordon, Mr. Hooper, I forget her name but I want to say Maria?). They were all adults, I'd be surprised if none of them were married.

They were never actually shown having lives, though. They're written like teachers, basically, with the occasional Mrs. but never any contact with the implied spouse.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    If they're gay then Bert's a pedophile because Ernie is repeatedly portrayed as an elementary school age kid.

This is where I'm coming from too, they're not people, they're puppets. I get that they have some references to heterosexual relationships in there too (Kermit & Piggy) and frankly, I think they should loose those. Just have the puppets be puppets, let why kermit and piggy smoosh their faces together or why timmy has two dads be a discussion for another day.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2012
    It's not about sex, guys. It doesn't have to address sex at all.

You do know kids in elementary school can realize that they are "different". It is not a bad thing to lay a little groundwork early on to let them know they don't need to feel weird or ashamed of this.

edit: even if it isn;t B&E, it can be through other channels. I mean, why is it okay to say Black and White kids can play together freely, or just because someone is Muslim doesn't mean you should be afraid of them... but as soon as you mention gay stuff, it's all political and "don't touch that topic in front of my kids"?

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

You do know kids in elementary school can realize that they are "different". It is not a bad thing to lay a little groundwork early on to let them know they don't need to feel weird or ashamed of this.

edit: even if it isn;t B&E, it can be through other channels. I mean, why is it okay to say Black and White kids can play together freely, or just because someone is Muslim doesn't mean you should be afraid of them... but as soon as you mention gay stuff, it's all political and "don't touch that topic in front of my kids"?

Probably because sexuality doesn't usually pertain to the children at that age. So it's probably wise to avoid the whole topic.

Same with religion. It's been a while since I watched Sesame Street, so I'm not sure if they have any over religious themes, but I would hope they would avoid that as well.

Both should be something left to the parents to explain.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options

Basically because people can't get your first two sentences into their heads.

They categorize gay people exclusively by the kind of sex they have, so in their mind, being gay is all about sex, and therefore kids shouldn't hear about it because kids shouldn't hear about sex. The absurdity is shown when you try to think about heterosexual couples the same way. A mother and father taking their kid for a walk aren't shoving sex in your face any more than two fathers doing the same thing are. But if you think of homosexuals only as sex-categorized people, then anything that touches on that aspect of their life will have the stink of sex on it.

Basically to homophobes, anything that challenges heir ability to pretend gay people don't exist is shoving gay sex in their (and their childrens') faces.

• Options
    Well, back when I was watching Mr Hooper was Jewish, there is a Hindu muppet now, supposedly.

That said, they never ever make a big deal about these things, they simply show by example that people of different EVERYTHING can live together in harmony.

"Leaving it to the parents" is almost universally a bad idea.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I have never been a fan of hiding homosexuality and race issues from kids. The sooner you expose them to these issues the easier it is for them to tolerate diversity later on. Hiding that from them just narrows their worldview later on in life.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »

They were never actually shown having lives, though. They're written like teachers, basically, with the occasional Mrs. but never any contact with the implied spouse.
    Uhhhh... I beg to differ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jNGa89pOA8

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Well, back when I was watching Mr Hooper was Jewish, there is a Hindu muppet now, supposedly.

It was implied back in 2002 or so that Snuffleupagus was if not Muslim than some vague representation of Arab culture - The whole racist seagull arc I mentioned - according to wikipedia that ended in a big lecture from Big Bird about how some people are different, and different can be scary, but we shouldn't etc etc etc. Basically the entire post-9-11 hate fever wrapped up in a half hour of silliness without actually mentioning WHY people can be different. A similar story went around Rosita - a vaguely Mexican character that came to Sesame Street from somewhere else and a couple characters thought she should go back there because she was different. Queue basically same speech about people being different, everybody's friends, time for the Count to get some screen time.

The show's very good at handling religion, culture, and race without mentioning religion, culture, or race. There's no reason to expect their treatment of homosexuality to be any different. Bert and Ernie act different than Kermit and Piggy, that seems kinda weird to some people, stuff happens, things are said, people decide it's not so weird after all, happy ending.

Hevach on
  • Options
    No obviously big bird will explain in graphic detail all the various fetishes in stereotypical gay culture. Butches and bears and power bottoms and glory holes.

• Options
    Kagera wrote: »
    No obviously big bird will explain in graphic detail all the various fetishes in stereotypical gay culture. Butches and bears and power bottoms and glory holes.
    And the next week Sesame Street Convention Hall hosts a furry convention.

• Options
    I now can't get the image of Snuffleupagus putting his trunk in a glory hole out of my head.

Thanks, Internet.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I bet that trash can has a glory hole too.

• Options

Even a trash can in the Upper East Side (supposedly where Sesame Street is set at) has a pretty high rent.

Can't blame Oscar.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular

Even a trash can in the Upper East Side (supposedly where Sesame Street is set at) has a pretty high rent.

Can't blame Oscar.

It would explain the grounchiness.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    It has the room for it. That thing is like a TARDIS. I recall seeing at least once when I was a kid that there's like a whole apartment in there.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    being homosexual should be exclusively about sex anyway. What does it say about society when you are very attached to a person but you don't love them in 'that' way, they have to automatically be relegated to some lower friendship heirarchy while you're still on the hunt for 'the one?' Being gay should be distinguishable from homosexuality, at which point it would be odd to have a label for that kind of thing as it pertains to love at all.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    being homosexual should be exclusively about sex anyway. What does it say about society when you are very attached to a person but you don't love them in 'that' way, they have to automatically be relegated to some lower friendship heirarchy while you're still on the hunt for 'the one?' Being gay should be distinguishable from homosexuality, at which point it would be odd to have a label for that kind of thing as it pertains to love at all.

So you're saying homosexual marriage is ok, but not gay marriage?

I am so incredibly confused by your post.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Hey guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDaszN9ByxM

Yes, that's Doogie Howser in Fairy Wings singing about shoes.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I'm so confused.

Is it an argument against marriage in toto?

Do you believe that there is a difference between gay and straight and homosexual?

Such a strange post.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.