As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blu-Ray Suggestions?

MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNARochester, MNRegistered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Similar to my thread on being a New PS3 owner (thanks for the suggestions, I picked up Uncharted 1-3, planning on getting Demon Soul's and Dark Souls in the future along with MGS4), I was wondering what is worth re-buying on Blu-Ray that I already own on DVD?

The Dark Knight
Firefly / Serenity
Buffy the Vampire Slayer DVD Series

Things of that nature that you bought and were just like "Holy Shit, this looks and sounds fantastic!"?

I am in the business of saving lives.
MegaMan001 on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    If you're into Star Trek, I hear the new Next Generation Season 1 Blurays are pretty great.

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    The 5th Element.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I'm not a terribly big fan of the movie itself, but Scott Pilgrim vs. The World looks and sounds amazing.

Edit: Also, anything from Pixar, particularly Monsters Inc, and Incredibles (because they're my favorites).

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    I thought that the Game of Thrones Blu-Ray's were quite lovely.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    If you can find the Lord of the Rings trilogy box set (extended) on the cheap...that would definitely be one to consider.

If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I think right now Best Buy has a deal if you trade in a DVD you get a $5 credit towards the Blu-ray purchase. Doesn't help you pick what you want but might help out as far as the wallet goes.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Moon
    No Country For Old Men
    There Will Be Blood
    Inception
    Die Hard trilogy
    Band of Brothers/The Pacific both look and sound fantastic
    The Dollars Trilogy
    Goodfellas

• Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    Planet Earth, The proper one with David Attenborough narrating. Be blown away by your own planet!

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Six-Disc-Special-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B005C9YZIW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343549786&sr=8-2&keywords=planet+earth

6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Angel177 wrote: »
    Planet Earth, The proper one with David Attenborough narrating. Be blown away by your own planet!

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Six-Disc-Special-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B005C9YZIW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343549786&sr=8-2&keywords=planet+earth

I'd also recommend Frozen Planet if you like nature documentaries. If for nothing else...PENGUINS!!!

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Planet Earth, that's the one! Thank you I had forgotten al about that.

That Best Buy deal looks pretty promising too.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Sunshine has some of the best audio of any bluray.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Rome
    Lord of The Rings
    Alien box-set
    Blade Runner
    Apocalypse Now
    Le Mans
    Cinema Paradiso

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Avatar looks really good on blu-ray.

And going on from the Pixar, pretty much any CG film is going to look amazing, so the Ice Age films are a good choice.

And you can also pick up on the tradition that I have: Any time I switch to a new format, the first film I get in that format is Starship Troopers. :P I've had it on VHS, DVD and now Blu-Ray.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    And going on from the Pixar, pretty much any CG film is going to look amazing, so the Ice Age films are a good choice.

On that note, How to Train Your Dragon.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    And you can also pick up on the tradition that I have: Any time I switch to a new format, the first film I get in that format is Starship Troopers. :P I've had it on VHS, DVD and now Blu-Ray.

I do this with The Fifth Element. :^:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I do this with The Fifth Element. :^:

This would be me and Big Trouble in Little China. Which I bought today. On Blu-Ray along with Firefly: The Complete Series ($19.99?!) and Batman Begins.

• Options
    edited July 2012

On that note, How to Train Your Dragon.

I knew there was one I was forgetting! That's one of my favorite films of all time. :)

And I'm glad I'm not the only person who rebuys certain films as soon as there's a better format version of it. :)

Nova_C on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    SPACE JAM.

Also anything animated (I mean like hand drawn animation type, not the over 9000 years in a rendering farm type) will tend to look great.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Anything animated or really heavy in CG is going to look good. Over at AVS forums they have a thread on best looking transfers (search for "PQ tier"). Besides that I gotta think recs here are mainly going to reflect movie preferences of the poster. Kill Bill 1 and 2.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Similar to my thread on being a New PS3 owner (thanks for the suggestions, I picked up Uncharted 1-3, planning on getting Demon Soul's and Dark Souls in the future along with MGS4), I was wondering what is worth re-buying on Blu-Ray that I already own on DVD?

The Dark Knight
    Firefly / Serenity

Things of that nature that you bought and were just like "Holy Shit, this looks and sounds fantastic!"?

As a note, the sound coding on The Dark Knight is pretty fucking terrible, and unless you have a pretty good reciever or enjoy watching movies with captions on, you will be turning up the volumn for every dialog scene, and then turning it back down during every explosion/action scene.

• Options
    Lots of movies are doing that these days. Since I live alone, I usually just end up wearing headphones all the time because it's easier to hear the dialogue.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote:

The Dark Knight
    Firefly / Serenity

As a note, the sound coding on The Dark Knight is pretty fucking terrible, and unless you have a pretty good reciever or enjoy watching movies with captions on, you will be turning up the volumn for every dialog scene, and then turning it back down during every explosion/action scene.

Try switching to a 2.x stereo soundtrack, if you don't have a surround sound setup hooked up that supports whatever awesome version of surround sound that the default track is meant for.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, searching for The Dark Knight Bluray audio issues that shows me that it defaults to a shitty audio stream and you have to switch it to the True HD.

So, like, the exact opposite of your advice, but at least you go me to look it up :P

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Yeah, searching for The Dark Knight Bluray audio issues that shows me that it defaults to a shitty audio stream and you have to switch it to the True HD.

So, like, the exact opposite of your advice, but at least you go me to look it up :P

Yeah, the theory's still the same. I didn't bother to check what specific streams Dark Knight uses and opted to just give the general version of the advice.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Is that what causes that? I typically just use my TV's speakers and i can't hear a lot of dialogue, but get deafened during action scenes. H/A you've earned my $0 once again.

• Options
    JinnJinn Registered User regular
    If you like Planet Earth, I highly recommend Human Planet in addition.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Of the blu-rays I own I think these ones look the best:
    Sherlock Holmes and its sequel
    The Muppets
    Stargate

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Planet Earth is probably the best damn looking blu-ray ever.

I'll throw these out as looking pretty good in blu-ray (at least to me):
    Star Trek (2009)
    Kingdom of Heaven
    Band of Brothers