As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DOTA2 The International (probably) the same weekend as PAX in Seattle!

ValwrynValwryn Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Too much gaming for one city to contain?
How will you split your time?

For 2010 attendees it will be at the main stage at Benaroya, so quite near the convention center.

I'm mainly concerned about hotels, as a million dollar tournament is definitely going to draw some attention.

Alpha Omeganaut 2009
zerzhul on

• GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    I guess they won't really be showing anything at PAX, then. :(

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    I wonder if this will be this year's HaloFest tack on.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • ValwrynValwryn Registered User regular
    Supposedly they're showing something "with a three in it" at E3 this year.

Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    It is happening during PAX, but so are the League of Legends Regional Finals, which is also kind of a big deal. So yeah, things will be a bit crazy this year, and they better both be using Benaroya or something, because there sure as hell isn't room for either of these anywhere else, aside from maybe the Annex. And even then, it's pretty small.
    Valwryn wrote: »
    Supposedly they're showing something "with a three in it" at E3 this year.

Valve actually recently announced they won't be showing anything new at E3. Of course they could be just trying to throw people off, but they continue to prove that they cannot count to 3, so... we'll see. :P

NSw0gum.png
  • Kirby4LifeKirby4Life SumYungGuy In a cabin in the woodsRegistered User regular
    I love how valve announced the DOTA 2 championship AFTER the pax tickets are all sold out!! Bad move on their part cuz now how will all the DOTA 2 fans get in??

• ChichenChichen Registered User regular
    Kirby4Life wrote: »
    I love how valve announced the DOTA 2 championship AFTER the pax tickets are all sold out!! Bad move on their part cuz now how will all the DOTA 2 fans get in??

It's not happening at PAX it's happening near PAX. You don't need to have PAX tickets to get in.

I plan on going as long as it's not too expensive for tickets and I can manage my PAX time in with it. I love DOTA 2.

• FleenerFleener Registered User regular
    GeeCee wrote: »
    It's part of PAX, guys, but at the Benaroya.

I read that they tried to make it apart of PAX, but for some reason PAX didn't want it. Maybe something to do with the League of Legends tournament. But, from the Dota2 blog;

"We will be releasing information on how to acquire tickets in the coming weeks. Stay tuned for details."

http://blog.dota2.com/2012/05/the-international/

That makes it seem like it's a separate event. Unless the reason why PAX sold out so quickly is because Valve bought up thousands of tickets :o. A lot of people are confused because different sources are reporting different things. For instance, GeeCee's links seem to think it's apart of PAX, and yet the dota2 blog states that ticket sales will become available at a later date which wouldn't make sense if it's apart of PAX.

Maybe they will sell tickets, but also allow people with PAX badges to watch. That'd be pretty cool.

It's all pretty confusing right now. And a lot of people are looking for answers since this is one of the biggest gaming tournaments in the world.

• HilgerHilger Registered User regular
    What about the reverse situation? I might go up to Seattle for the International, but while I'm there it'd be really cool to check out some of the PAX stuff. Unfortunately, the International wasn't announced until all the PAX tickets were sold out, so I don't have a ticket.

Does that mean I'm pretty much SOL for getting into PAX?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    If a PAX pass doesn't get you in, it's not a part of PAX. That's really all there is to it.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    It is neat though that PAX weekend is starting to see more gaming events focused in on it even if they aren't part of PAX.

Time to start lobbying for a 4 day PAX where day 4 is nothing but tourneys and money matches. :D

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Time to start lobbying for a 4 day PAX where day 4 is nothing but tourneys and money matches. :D

.... well that would certainly make it easier to find badges, at least for the 4th day ;)

zerzhul on
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    It is neat though that PAX weekend is starting to see more gaming events focused in on it even if they aren't part of PAX.

Day 4 would be so full of salt if this were to happen.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Personally, I'm hoping this tournament isn't actually a part of PAX.

I think pro gaming doesn't really fit in well with our culture.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    SmallLady wrote: »
    I think pro gaming doesn't really fit in well with our culture.
    We have mind control slugs, right? Right?

Creamsteak on
    I don't have a problem with pro-gaming as a thing, but I think serious money based competition does well as its own separate event.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Tying in big money events with PAX results in a lot of people buying up PAX passes strictly to participate in said event. This ends up causing a lot of people who want to experience PAX as a whole left out. Additionally, PAX isn't about big-money events (that's why PAX-run tourneys' only prize is a medal), they're for fun. E-sports/pro-gaming is fine as a thing, it just doesn't mesh well with PAX.

E6LkoFK.png

Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Tying in big money events with PAX results in a lot of people buying up PAX passes strictly to participate in said event. This ends up causing a lot of people who want to experience PAX as a whole left out. Additionally, PAX isn't about big-money events (that's why PAX-run tourneys' only prize is a medal), they're for fun. E-sports/pro-gaming is fine as a thing, it just doesn't mesh well with PAX.

In all fairness the Omegathon is about 5 grand + trip.

Alpha Omeganaut 2009
    The omegathon does have a fabulous prize, but entrants are randomly chosen and the games are ridiculous. Also, the contestants aren't sponsored.

Not for everyone.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

It'd be glorious.
    Tying in big money events with PAX results in a lot of people buying up PAX passes strictly to participate in said event.
    *cough*leagueoflegends*cough*

In all honestly it's a nightmarishly bad idea to have any sort of tournament integrated into PAX precisely because it's tying up space/tickets/etc. that would be better used to serve PAX as a whole.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012
    Creamsteak wrote: »

Not for everyone.

I know you're referencing that the competition is the drive for people and I fully agree it is. But no one has ever refused the prize or donated it to CP after winning.

My point is the most exciting tournament at PAX has a payout associated with it. Its not a "cash game" per se, but the spirit of it definitely is.

Valwryn on
    Alpha Omeganaut 2009

It'd be glorious.
    Tying in big money events with PAX results in a lot of people buying up PAX passes strictly to participate in said event.
    *cough*leagueoflegends*cough*

In all honestly it's a nightmarishly bad idea to have any sort of tournament integrated into PAX precisely because it's tying up space/tickets/etc. that would be better used to serve PAX as a whole.

Completely agree with you. I think quite a few of us have an idea of what PAX is (dating back to Meydenbauer). But I think everything evolves and as videogaming and esports are becoming more intertwined, it starts becoming harder to draw the line between gaming convention and esports tournament venue.

Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod

Not for everyone.

I know you're referencing that the competition is the drive for people and I fully agree it is. But no one has ever refused the prize or donated it to CP after winning.

My point is the most exciting tournament at PAX has a payout associated with it. Its not a "cash game" per se, but the spirit of it definitely is.

The Omegathon is way closer to being a game show than it is an e-sports event. I'm pretty sure any hardcore, e-sports enthusiasts would tell you that the Omegathon would never be considered as an e-sport given it's complete randomness in contestant selection, game selection and complete secrecy regarding the final round.

E6LkoFK.png

Thats true, but I wouldnt be surprised to see some sort of adoption of it.Part of me wishes the Fighting Game Community had that format, as a lot of us play multiple games, or even a MOBA tournament in that style, a "who is the best at thier genre tournament". It's game showy for a professional scene, I won't deny that at all, but I imagine we will see the format pop up at more than the Omegathon.

Alpha Omeganaut 2009
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Not for everyone.

The Omegathon is way closer to being a game show than it is an e-sports event. I'm pretty sure any hardcore, e-sports enthusiasts would tell you that the Omegathon would never be considered as an e-sport given it's complete randomness in contestant selection, game selection and complete secrecy regarding the final round.

I'm fairly certain there were Zelda Fanatics crying at the fact that the last round took as long as it did. ;) (FWIW, I'm clumsy at Zelda, so I couldn't have done much better.)
    Thats true, but I wouldnt be surprised to see some sort of adoption of it.Part of me wishes the Fighting Game Community had that format, as a lot of us play multiple games, or even a MOBA tournament in that style, a "who is the best at thier genre tournament". It's game showy for a professional scene, I won't deny that at all, but I imagine we will see the format pop up at more than the Omegathon.

Perhaps, but it won't be the same by any stretch. Part of the Omagathon's fun/appeal is that there's only a limited connection between the different rounds. Over the long haul you begin to see an overarching theme obviously, the round during the concert (4th? 5th? I get my count confused) is a rhythm game, a driving game (e.g. Mario Cart) seems to pop up a lot and there seems to be at least one TT game each time. But if you asked for any sort of connection aside from that I'd be at a loss. (OK, well East has "pairs" but that's more of a rule than a "theme")

edited June 2012
    Tickets for The International are going on sale this coming Tuesday at 9am PDT for $50 (You buy it in the DOTA 2 ingame store via steam and activate it.)

There is also an additional batch of tickets each day at the same time up until the 16th.

Also it looks like anyone with a PAX Prime Badge can get in. (First come. First Serve.)

http://blog.dota2.com/2012/06/the-international-tickets/

Chichen on
    That is an interesting option.

• FleenerFleener Registered User regular
    Chichen wrote: »
    Also it looks like anyone with a PAX Prime Badge can get in. (First come. First Serve.)

That's really cool actually. Didn't expect them to do anything for PAX attendees. Nice option for people like me who may want to watch a bit of it, but don't really want to spend a lot of time, or $50 to watch.

Fleener wrote: »
    Chichen wrote: »

That's really cool actually. Didn't expect them to do anything for PAX attendees. Nice option for people like me who may want to watch a bit of it, but don't really want to spend a lot of time, or $50 to watch.

It might be difficult for people without International Tickets to get into the bigger more important games though if they show up just wanting to watch that game. I'm getting a ticket just so I can alternate between PAX and the International because I play DOTA 2 constantly.

• HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    Sorry if I missed it in the thread, is there any DOTA 2 presence actually at PAX Prime 2012? I've been playing a ton of League of Legends in the last month, and would like to compare/contrast against DOTA 2 if they will be part of the show.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The International is taking place at Benaroya Hall, which is in the same area, and they will have limited seating for PAX attendees, but I don't believe that Valve has any official Dota 2 PAX presence inside the convention.

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

This discussion has been closed.