As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Is it just me or has there been a real drought of interesting new iOS titles this summer? I haven't picked up anything new in a couple months :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Reeder, Tweetbot, Pocket Casts, Chrome Browser, Sparrow, Pocket, Imo Messenger, and Kindle/Nook are my basic must haves.

Sparrow is arguable but I like it a lot regardless of the lack built in push, so I just use the native mail app to notify me of new mail and then open it in Sparrow.

Worth noting that Sparrow has been mothballed. No more feature updates, only bugfixes, now that they've Ben bought by google.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Kairosoft games have many cool things but they're not very well balanced.
    I like:
    Kindgom Rush, Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes, Battleheart, The Creeps, Strike Fleet Omega, Plants Vs Zombies, the Infinity Blade games, Jetpack Joyride, Major Mayhem, Cthulhu Saves the World, Sword and Sworcery, Cut the Rope, Where's my Water, The Act, Triple Town.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    The Act
    How do you think this stacks up with Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Braindead 13 and the like?

Everything I've read about it states that it has basically the same gameplay.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Dungeon raid is something I already own. It is quite brilliant.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    The Act
    How do you think this stacks up with Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Braindead 13 and the like?

The Act isn't a twitch game, from what I understand.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Well I downloaded Pocket Planes and Hero Academy.
    There goes all my time. :P

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    The Act

Yeah, instead of directly controlling the character's actions you only make him more confident or more cautious. It's an interesting twist.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've sunk a few too many hours into Faerie Solitare over the last few weeks, but it's been a great pick up and play for 2-10 minute game.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Adda wrote: »
    Anyone playing 10000000?

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/10000000/id544385071?mt=8

been stuck in it all weekend, game looks like shit but is fun to play.

This.

So fun.

Totally my current addiction.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Has anyone been playing Orc:vengeance? I haven't been able to get into any action RPGs on the iPad, but this one has me hooked. It looks great, and the controls are pretty solid. I just wish there were more than 4 gestures to map to abilities, or have potions be buttons on screen to free up spots for special abilities.

I've also been having a lot of fun with shellrazer. That is one smug-ass turtle.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Ok, we've talked some apps here, so a quick question. Any good itunes alternative? I fucking hate itunes and would like something to listen to my music on my computer and build the playlists and then let them transfer to my iPhone. Zune let me do this (i loved my Zune so so so much) and I'd like a good iTunes alternative.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ok, we've talked some apps here, so a quick question. Any good itunes alternative? I fucking hate itunes and would like something to listen to my music on my computer and build the playlists and then let them transfer to my iPhone. Zune let me do this (i loved my Zune so so so much) and I'd like a good iTunes alternative.

As much annoyances are in iTunes, I've yet to find an alternative that isn't loaded with annoyances of its own.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Personally I use Spotify but I'm not sure how much you can do on mobile without a premium subscription.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Basically nothing.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    The Act

The only connection is that both present you with a handdrawn scene and you have to do something to determine the outcome.

HOW you do that, on the other hand, is as far removed from those QTE-fests as you can get.

You need to slide left or right to make the dude more confident or timid. But, how fast you slide can have wildly different results, and sometimes you need to stop a bit, or go back and forth. It's amazingly cunning, it's pretty as fuck and (IMO) it's a billion times more fun and interesting than those awful games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    The Act is on sale for a buck now too. $3 seamed a bit much for less than an hour of gameplay, but a dollar is reasonable.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Adda wrote: »
    Anyone playing 10000000?

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/10000000/id544385071?mt=8

been stuck in it all weekend, game looks like shit but is fun to play.

This.

So fun.

Totally my current addiction.

Are the tiles supposed to limit you on how many tiles you can move around at a time? Seems the game only let me drag them one at a time instead of giving me the freedom to just adjust each one.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    You can drag any row or column as far as you want, as long as it results in a match. You can't just shift around the field as you please; each move has to end in a match 3.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    This game is super difficult for me. I'm not sure how long I'll enjoy it, with such a tough time limit that I can't really plan for anything other than simple 3 tile matches.

But for now, it's quick enough, and there's enough progress through levels and items, to keep me going.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    wakaranaiwakaranai Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Dead Trigger just went free! It's a relatively new game, so I'm surprised this has already gone F2P.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dead-trigger/id533079551?mt=8

Edit: Hmm this may just be a temporary price drop instead of it going F2P as I originally stated.

wakaranai on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Bunch of id Software stuff is on sale for QuakeCon. How is Doom 2 RPG? Has anyone tried playing it on an iPad of any sort? Wondering how much of a pixelated mess it'll look like on the retiPad screen.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Wolfenstein RPG is good, but I haven't tried it on the ipad

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    wakaranai wrote: »
    Dead Trigger just went free! It's a relatively new game, so I'm surprised this has already gone F2P.
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dead-trigger/id533079551?mt=8

Edit: Hmm this may just be a temporary price drop instead of it going F2P as I originally stated.

From what I understand, the game quickly went F2P on Android because the rate of piracy was something like 9:1:
    http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Dead-Trigger-Goes-Free-Play-Because-90-Android-Users-Pirates-44969.html

I'm guessing they felt there might be some backlash from the iOS community since Android folks were being rewarded with a free game...

I just checked and it appears it is indeed free. I bought it when it first came out. It's entertaining.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    It was always a free to play game in spirit. Surprised that they got away with charging for it for so long considering the in-app purchase setup they were using. The piracy comment is a common one rolled out by devs and doesn't really hold much water but at least it got them some more publicity.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    So is there a PA flight crew for Pocket Planes that I can join? If not, is there any interest in starting one? I'm not entirely sure of the benefits, but I'm interested nonetheless.

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Sup dudes, thought you might be interested in how our latest UDK game is looking on iOS. I am pretty proud of how nice I've been able to get it looking on there.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7k-KgcsZx0

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Pretty cool Kickstarter project for Shadowrun Online. I supported it since there will be an iPad version:
    [No Kickstarters, please]

Sterica on
  • Options
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Sup dudes, thought you might be interested in how our latest UDK game is looking on iOS. I am pretty proud of how nice I've been able to get it looking on there.
    * video *

That looks pretty cool. Any more info on the game?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Ok... There a decent city building game out there that I can play on my iPhone 3Gs? I was on a "My Life as King" kick from reading an older thread, and found Kairosoft's Adventure Town, but it's like getting a pack of sliders when wanted a huge-ass burger or steak. It's beef, it's similar, but not exactly what you want.

Basically I want something with pick up and play but depth as well. Don't really time to get invested into RPGs anymore.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    So Organ Trail is neat. Looks like they added quite a bit of stuff from the free flash game.

On normal at least, I feel like the best way to start out is load up on bullets and medkits, scavenge everything else you need (esp. the food).

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Organ Trail
    The river is too deep to ford. You lose:

1 Wurlizer
    1 Hammond
    34 pipes
    7 MIDI instruments

Press RETURN to size up the situation
    The "body part" joke seemed too easy.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    So Organ Trail is neat. Looks like they added quite a bit of stuff from the free flash game.

On normal at least, I feel like the best way to start out is load up on bullets and medkits, scavenge everything else you need (esp. the food).

This reminds me so much of that "movie trailer" someone made.

"Headin' to Oregon, huh? Whaddya need?"

"4 Oxen and 600 bullets."

"Anythin' else?"

"No I think we're good."

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    grim sbgrim sb Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    10000000 players out there:

I'm stuck at the questor level xp-wise ( no mini-challenges left, currently at 1.83 kmil xp), but down at the alchemist, I see 4-5 addt'l perks to open up. What's up with that?

Is my game glitched, or do I just need to grind out more xp to level up?

grim sb on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Hmm. I never got to the point that there were no mini-challenges on a level. The last one is to reach a certain score, which opens up the next level. The levels are:

Rookie
    Wayfarer
    Vagabond
    Dungeon Crawler
    Scout
    Questor
    Adventurer
    Explorer
    Dungeon Master
    Hero

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Please note that we're not allowing links to Kickstarter right now.

If a Kickstarter is TOTALLY finished, meaning that the time for collecting funds is over (NOT just meeting their goal), then go ahead and discuss it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    grim sbgrim sb Registered User regular
    Aw poop! I'm guessing it's glitches, then. Ive been stuck in questor w/ no challenges for over a day. I'm well over 2.2 mil xp now, and I guess at this point, I'll just keep grinding along.

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Fairway Solitaire added an update that gives out daily challenges. The best game just got better.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    So 10000000 is great - really great. I can't put the damn thing down.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    For a while the only two games I had on my iPad were Settlers and Magic 2013. Yeah, I've only had my iPad a short while. :P

Anyway, last night I picked up Ascension, Worms: Armageddon and Galaxy on Fire 2 HD. Since I'm fresh into the appstore, I dunno what you guys have tried and have not tried, but Galaxy on Fire 2 is a pretty good space sim. Control is pretty intuitive and easy to learn and it's hitting the high points of the good sims (Freedom of exploration, ship customization, multiple paths to wealth), though it has it's problems.

For example, mining so far has be nigh impossible. :/ I think better equipment makes it easier, but if all I wanted to do was mine and not ferry people/goods or hunt pirates, I would have already given up.

This discussion has been closed.