As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Job Thread] Help me hate/love my job by telling me how awesome/terrible yours is

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Liiya, you should get them to become silent partners. Seems like you'd be better off running the show yourself at this rate. =p

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Haha, thank you! That would be nice, but its their ship to go down with right now!

I'm slowly losing my mind today at work, e-mail after e-mail asking us to fix things that aren't broken in the technical sense

Broken because people don't understand you can't hammer on HMIs expecting things that take a second to run faster just because you keep clicking away

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    But if I click faster, then it should work faster!

:rotate:

I'm heavily debating taking a metal health* day Friday

* drinking

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Owner, Idiot Son, and another guy went out of their way to go to Chik-Fil-A for lunch today and brought a bunch back for people to eat in our breakroom.

:[

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Owner, Idiot Son, and another guy went out of their way to go to Chik-Fil-A for lunch today and brought a bunch back for people to eat in our breakroom.

is this the support chic-fil-a day thing?

Brolo on
    yyyyyyyyep

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I'm actually in the mood for chicken today and am considering KFC.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

Oh dear :l

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    tinyurl.com/cflhjbz

ah, bigots

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Does eating Chik-fil-a brought to you via other people's money hurt the cause?

Had you requested it, sure...then you'd be directly contributing to the weirdness. But, if it's unsolicited free chicken...I don't know man.

Cool they are literally making me take a cookie in some kind of weird thing.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Had you requested it, sure...then you'd be directly contributing to the weirdness. But, if it's unsolicited free chicken...I don't know man.

nows not the time for rationale thought

we have to be angry at stuff

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Body of Chik Fil A, given for you

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Sorry, I don't want your penis oppressing cookies

easysig2.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't want your penis oppressing cookies

portlandiarecap.jpg

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    My wife's office is having a margarita day on Friday. She works in City Hall. They're sending e-mails around about it with their work accounts.

I'm just fucking blown away.

Why?

A lot of offices do this. Just because they're Public doesn't mean they can't organize a get together.

When I worked for the city, we weren't allowed to drink at lunch. Like, at all.

I threw the bigot-cookie away.

It is a Pyrrhic victory indeed.

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Cool they are literally making me take a cookie in some kind of weird thing.

Man just say no

at my office we have Miller Time

admittedly I usually pass although I do like Miller Light

DrZiplock wrote: »

I would probably consider it a tacit endorsement of the folks who decide to participate in the national day of support or whatever. Like, I'm not sure how you would go about receiving the spoils of that effort without communicating to those guys that you accept or even approve of their behavior. I would argue that the discourse is more substantial than the actual money involved in the issue.

Also, at my current job we're not even allowed to have alcohol on premises, because of county department of health regulations. I think that's totally reasonable, though.

I assumed the margaritas would be consumed both after work, and off-site.

Though drinking in moderation at lunch is not that uncommon. Hell in software it's almost required.

easysig2.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Today I had to help a colleague take a photo of a scene that "looked like someone building a bomb." My Pakistani officemate and I were joking around about getting him to be the actor, but our suggestion was not appreciated.

every hardcore PHP programmer I know isn't allowed within 10 feet of a computer unless there's a bottle of whiskey on the premises

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Maaaaaan why couldn't like...Hardee's or something have been the bigoted fast food.

I liked chick fil a :(

Jasconius wrote: »
    every hardcore PHP programmer I know isn't allowed within 10 feet of a computer unless there's a bottle of whiskey on the premises

.NET shop

we have to drink, otherwise we just can't go on

easysig2.jpg
  • HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    At my place of work you can buy beer with your lunch in the company mess hall.

When there were rumors that the company wanted to replace the beer with alcohol free beer the union was preparing to strike until they promised that the beer policy wouldn't be changed.

edited August 2012
    Apparently we used to keep beer in our breakroom fridge but I think there might have been an incident involving some heavy equipment but that's way before my time here.

Not that I'd really want to drink with any of my coworkers except my boss anyway.

Abracadaniel on
    I miss the game room at EA Atlanta.

Had a wet bar and kegerator.

easysig2.jpg
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about having a bottle of whiskey and some glasses in my shop, just so whenever someones hard drive is dead I can tell them to sit down, pour them a drink, tell them they're gonna need it and then break the bad news.
    Alternatively, if it's some companies computer, so I can break the bottle of whiskey over their heads and yell "YOU'VE BEEN USING THIS COMPUTER FOR VITAL BUSINESS THINGS FOR 12 YEARS AND YOU DON'T HAVE A FUCKING BACKUP? WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?"
    But I keep trying to use positive reinforcement. Besides it's not my business that goes down the drain.

i can't drink and program at all

• HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    I don't drink beer at work unless it's a special circumstance like someones birthday. I get super tired if I have beer for lunch and I'd be useless all afternoon.

But celebrations like birthdays or if someone had a kid are always done on Friday. And on Friday everyone goes home around 2 pm anyways.

I've definitely committed some complex shit while intoxicated.

2 days later open it up and read over the logs...

"How the fuck.... what does this call..... how did I...... Jesus Christ on a stick....."

easysig2.jpg
    Also I think I just figured out why this website thing isn't working out.

I haven't gotten any alcohol in me yet!

I can safely say some of the best problem solving and most creative use of my code talents have been fueled by Jim Beam

easysig2.jpg
    For some reason I had you figured for a makers mark kinda guy

Jim Beam, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve were my poisons

easysig2.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    people here drink a lot

tomorrow we are gonna start drinking at 4 on our dungeon floor

poo
This discussion has been closed.