As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Education options

jwidemanjwideman Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, I currently have a choice: either go for an AS in Web Design, or a BFA in Visual Communications with a specialization in Web Design. I'm looking for someone familiar with working in the industry to weigh in.

jwideman on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    For stuff like that, your education is largely irrelevant. It's your portfolio that gets you jobs.

• Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    If you want a degree - get the BFA. Not because the BFA matters to the job - because TychoChelchuuu is right, thats going to be 90% portfolio.
    The BFA is better because of the first word - Bachelors.

It'll matter if/when you want a job outside of the field - because a lot of places wont talk to you unless you have a Bachelors or better. Its a stupid rule, but its a rule that exists.

• Options
    I can always continue from the AS to a BS, but I'll be able to do it while working in web design.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    jwideman wrote: »
    I can always continue from the AS to a BS, but I'll be able to do it while working in web design.

make sure you verify this is possible. Many places that have associates programs and bachelors programs in similar fields use different classes because the degree requirements are different.

Also are the degrees Associates and Bachelors of Science (AS/BS) or of the Arts (AA/BA) because this will also matter for jobs outside of the intended industry.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    jwideman wrote: »

make sure you verify this is possible. Many places that have associates programs and bachelors programs in similar fields use different classes because the degree requirements are different.

Also are the degrees Associates and Bachelors of Science (AS/BS) or of the Arts (AA/BA) because this will also matter for jobs outside of the intended industry.

Good points. The Web Design is AS/BS, while the Visual Communications is a BFA (at a different school). I will note that the BS is just the AS with extra classes, more or less.

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    @jwideman : how prescient, mind if I tag-along in the thread? I was wondering if I should pursue an AS myself (graphic design as opposed to web design).

• Options
    @jwideman : how prescient, mind if I tag-along in the thread? I was wondering if I should pursue an AS myself (graphic design as opposed to web design).

Sure thing, there's plenty of room.
    Part of what made me choose web design (besides liking it a hell of a lot more) is that everyone I saw hiring graphic designers wanted 4 year degrees, but only 2 for web design.