As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sign up and Discussion] Microscope! A Game.

13»

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Updated Map.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqdGFKiOoQxfdEx5d0FHZkRGTXgxVlJWcERVMzhrYWc#gid=0

Remember to say if your Periods/Events are good or bad, guys.

Ok now we enter normal game play. It functions mostly like our first pass with a few exceptions. Each round the first person going is the Lens.

The Lens-
    1.Picks this rounds topic. Each added history must involve the topic. The topic should be something specific enough to give us all a good outline but broad enough so that we all have a lot of choices. Anything which, for example, limits us to a single period is probably not the best focus.
    2. Goes Twice. Once at the Beginning and once at the end of the round.
    3.May play two "attached" points of history(a Period and an Event under it or a Period with a scene under it)

Scenes may now also be played. In scenes we roleplay a scenario. I'll explain in full when someone picks a scene so for now I'll just say that a scene starts with the active player stating a question he wants answered. So right now a scene we could play would be "What is the cost played to use magic?" Scenes may be played just like Periods and Events.

At the end of of the round the person who went before the Lens(in this case Firetruck) may pick a legacy. I'll explain what that is later.

So I'm the Lens to start off and I'll pick as the focus for this round I'll pick the Mage Kings heritage and progeny.

Events within the Gilded Age after the Hedge Wizards Plot

Salem King rejoins the world

The last direct descendant to the original Mage King leaves the wilderness that had been home his entire life in order to destroy the council that killed his family and forced his mother to flee.

@Jam Warrior's turn.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    sorry, I meant my plot to be a bad thing. It was an attempt to fight fire with fire that ended disastrously.

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    My plot was also a bad thing. It ended up being a complete failure after all.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Right back at ya :P

So can I call a scene to answer the question, 'What did the Mage King do to his fellow magic discoverers?'

Updated the corkboard:

http://corkboard.me/DY42Lyjrr1

You guys should be using it, it's so much easier to take in than the spreadsheet. I've even colour coded the good/bad things!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

Right back at ya :P

So can I call a scene to answer the question, 'What did the Mage King do to his fellow magic discoverers?'

Updated the corkboard:

http://corkboard.me/DY42Lyjrr1

You guys should be using it, it's so much easier to take in than the spreadsheet. I've even colour coded the good/bad things!

Cool our first scene. Ok so the first two things I need to say is that when the question is answered the scene is over and we cannot change the future.

Now before the scene begins we must make a number of choices.

(For Jam)

Describe the scene. Where will it take place? What is happening?

Require and Ban characters. Jam as the scene creator may require one or two character and ban one or two characters. You can ban a group of people but not a group for what they are not.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Scene Setting - First meeting of the victorious revolutionary council in the badly battle damaged state rooms of the seat of the Old Empire. With their goals of an overthrow of The Empire realised, the discoverers of the first magic meet to decide the fate of the world they now find at their feet.

Required - The magic discoverers.
    Banned - Direct intelligent presence in the room of any of the magic granting entities. Witnesses.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    can we just start posting in character, then? How do we mark our in-character posts?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Yeah now we pick characters. We start with the person who goes after Jam and end with Jam. Which will mean if everybody else fails to pick a required character he will take it.

So Dex is first.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I would like to choose one of the revolutionaries--a follower at first, who went along with the plot to overthrow the Empire because it seemed the past of least resistance, but who now, after seeing what magic is capable of, is nothing less than addicted to the riches and glory it can provide. At the time of the meeting, she is basically in shock, having felt a power almost beyond her comprehension, and still trying to grasp what it all means.

Her name shall be Everus Kole.

• Options
    Nice.

EVOL is up. Then mister Truck.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    My character is an insane man who was previously a frustrated lowly government official that came from a powerful aristocratic family. He was constantly treated like a failure by his family throughout his entire life and developed a massive inferiority complex as a result.

When he discovered the secret of magic, he went mad with his newfound power, destroying and killing without discrimination, his movitiation being the childish notion of 'making them pay'.

His name is Arcadius Mento.

EVOL on
  • Options
    My character is a detached astronomer and academic. Originally a philosopher in the employ of the old regime, tasked with reading the king's horoscope and other such duties. It was anomalies he noticed in his stargazing and research that led to the discovery of the magical entities and the pacts that made the rebellion possible. Through it all, this never particularly warm man became more and more emotionally detached, fascinated with solely with the limits of the new magical power and the nature of the entities who granted it, human concerns be damned.

His name is Adrianus Fuchs

• Options
    Nightmare to pick, right? Also I'm off on holiday for a week from tomorrow and will likely have no internets.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Understood. Yeah it's my turn. Sorry guys I've been getting a lot of hours at work but I'll have a char posted tonight.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    My character was a general in the Empire's Army. Once a longtime friend of the last King he grew disillusioned of the way his lord treated his subjects. Early in the War he defected to the revolutionaries side with the promise that the new Lords would treat the common man better. He is responsible for discovery many of the war applications for magic.

He is quick to adapt to new situations but his body grows slow with age. He is a good man but gruff and cynical and leads more by reputation then expiring loyalty.

He is Garrett Bar.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Tobias Grick

A quiet character, seemingly always on the outside of groups, never making enough waves to be noticed but neither causing any trouble. The consumate crowd follower, never voices a unique opinion but always shouts along with the majority. If they stopped to think, no one would really be able to work out how Tobias had been present that day when magic was discovered, but by keeping quiet amongst the much louder personalities around him and following the flow of events that lead him to where he is now, no one had ever questioned him either. Is he really the sheep following the flock or is there a very cunning wolf hiding under a very cunning set of sheep clothing?

That should stop my lack of presence for the next week impacting too much on the scene! If it's still going when I get back I can jump in. Otherwise assume Tobias keeps quiet and goes along with the majority.

Which of these men will turn out to be The Mage King? Exciting.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Sorry, I forgot I had to explain things.

We each go around now and reveal thoughts.

Something that reveals what your character is doing/thinking or expects to happen. Dex starts again.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Thoughts: This can't be real. How is this possible? If this is possible... then... anything is possible.

Oh my god, anything is possible. The world is ours for the taking.

• Options
    We seem to be having issues with everybody getting updates.

@EVOL

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry, my notification seems to have been buried by others. Time to unsubscribe a few threads.

Finally, my time has come. With this power.. No one will ever have the gale to make a fool out of me. All those bastards will see what I, Arcadius Mento am capable of.

And now, the question of what to do with these remains..

• Options
    Fascinating...yes, the disposition of the Southern Wanderer can be correlated with the relative height of the Dawn Star above the horizon. There is a symmetry there, though there need not be. Tension in the heavens, tension in this room. Posturing. Malevolence. Idiots and blind men, beneath my notice.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    So much death on my hands... but it will all be worth it if I can make these blaster so-called-leaders work together and keep their promises.

Maybe then the nightmare's'll stop and I can get some sleep.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    So many, factions, so much power, and so little unity. With nothing but power binding them together, this group is splitting soon and probably violently. Who to side with? What is the most opportune path to take? Must make sure I'm on the wining side. Or maybe there's another way...

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Really digging this--I like that even still, every single character has complete potential to become the Mage King.

So, I assume now we just start posting our actions in-character? And do I start, or is it open season?

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Open Season.

First a few more rules.

You always decide what happens to your Character. If somebody says they, lets say, stab at you with a knife you decided if it hits and what it hurts.

Any secondary characters we introduce into the scene are at the mercy of anybody even if another player is "in control" of them. ANybody can hurt/Kill/save/introduce them.

Try to keep everything you introduce in your characters "voice". In other words if you introduce an element to the scene it should be something your character senses.

If you have a great idea for how the scene should go you can "push". Suggest your idea and then anybody else may make their own suggestions. We then vote. Whatever wins is what happens.

@Jam Warrior
    @Dex Dynamo
    @Fire Truck
    @Evol

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Argggh, I'm pretty shitty at writing so I really didn't want to start. Oh well, here goes.

Arcadius Mento entered the state rooms with joy that he could barely conceal. How long has he dreamed of entering these rooms, not as a lowly servant, but as one of the most powerful men in the world, a man no one would dare to question. Admittedly, the abject state of the rooms with mangled corpses littered all around were not part of his dreams. Somehow, however, all of this simply enhanced his joy. Now, Mento was prepared to announce that he was to become the ruler of the new order.

There was one problem, however. The problem being the others who were potential obstacles to Mento's rise to absolute power.

Mento looked around, and saw his fellow magi with a scrutinizing eye.

Tobias Grick was one who was not unlike Mento before he discovered his own powers. Quiet, obedient and simply.. vapid. Mento decided that Grick would make a fine servant of his. Obviously, he didn't have the aptitude to truly change in such a magnificent matter as Mento had.

Everus Kole seemed simply baffled. A look quite suited to a woman. Women were always like that, stupid and vapid and foolish. He didn't even have to create a plan for her, she was stupid enough to follow him as soon as he demonstrated his power.

Mento never liked Adrianus Fuchs. He was an arrogant little swine. Oh so very smart, but the bastard would notice soon enough that Mento wasn't a man that can be looked down anymore. He was among those who were the top of the list of the people Mento would like to kill, but Mento counseled himself. Fuchs would soon die a long, agonizing death, Mento would make sure of that.

Garret Bar was also one that Mento would very like to kill soon. He was dangerous. Mento would declare himself as Emperor on the spot if it was not for Bar. The old man may not have many days to live anymore, but if he caught wind of Mento's plan.. Mento decided he would need to be more discreet.

• Options
    Shoulders slumped, head shaking slightly, Kole surveyed the ravaged throne room, and the assortment of fools and lunatics that brought her here. Is this who They have chosen to lead us? Followers. Sociopaths. Academics. Not a one of them understands what could be done. Her mind began to wander. She surveyed the world that laid before them; the blooming fields, the cities of gold, parades in the streets... and the iron thrones they would sit upon.

She shook her head, snapping back to reality. This was not the time for idle fantasy. If Utopia awaits, action must be taken. She stood up, sweeping her cape and throwing back her hair.

"Children. The Emperor is dead. The keys to the world rest in our fingertips. And the longer we wait to claim them, the likelier we are to lose everything. So tell me... what is out next move?" She twitched an eyebrow, and revealed the slightest of grins.

• Options
    Seeing someone take charge and make an opening statement, Tobias turned his best winning grin Kole's way.

'A moment to reflect on your triumph I think!' he said, being sure to catch every eye in the room and give the impression that the 'your' was directed at them and them only.

He clapped twice loudly and a frightened looking ex-imperial servant beetled through the door with a tray of drinks. After looking rooted to the spot for a moment he caught Tobias' eye and quickly circled the council table placing a glass by each man present before scuttling back out again.

'The fruits of the Emperor's win cellars are now yours to enjoy. A toast to your very good health and a glorious future my friends!'

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Garret accepted a glass from the servant with a nod.

"Hmph" he grunted loudly "Some triumph. With the power we possess our enemies may as well have been children."

After a long drink he continued "No, I think it would be best to get to business"

Looking around the room, full of fake smiles meant to manipulate, he tried not to glare. These men had made him one of them and now he hide his emotions like the rest. He hated manipulation with all his being but he would push them. Keep them on goal. Force them to keep pretending. Maybe if they lied long enough, an alliance of convenience would become true friendship.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Okay, looks I need to I apologise for calling a scene so early. Mayhap the slower momentum of a forum based game isn't really suited to such free form roleplay.

I put forward the motion that if anybody hasn't replied by the end of the week then they drank the poisoned wine and thus Tobias 'wins' the scene and becomes the Mage King.

Then maybe we forget scenes and just stick to creating periods and events?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I think the bigger problem is that the forum is being annoyingly bad about update messages. The others probably don't even know that people responded.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Kole eyes her glass suspiciously.

"We have the chance to finally change the world, and you suggest drinking ourselves to oblivion?"

• Options
    edited August 2012
    With Kole's remark, Mento seized what he perceived to be his chance. With a false pretense of earnest commitment, he said

"Indeed, we should be planning out next move immediately. The revolution has not been completed, friends. This is no time for ideal drinking. As our next course of action, I propose that we set up a leader who can lead the others in the new world order."

EVOL on
  • Options
    "A leader? Isn't that what put us here to begin with? After all, they," Kole waved her hand slightly to the sky, "didn't trust just one person with this." Her eyes lowered, her hand beginning to shake as it returned to her side. "And we wouldn't want to upset them, now, would we?"