As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    That math isn't weird at all. You forgot to mention that you and your dad probably only had a year or two left to pay on the old cars and now probably have new 3-5 year loans.

Incorrect.

My Dad and I both had about 4 years left on our loans.

And how long is the new loan?

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Obvious solution for mystery rattle is to use a GoPro camera fixed to some part of the engine bay. (Assuming this only happens when the car is moving)

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    So my wife's car is having an issue where the turn signals blink slowly or sometimes not at all. Does anyone have any ideas what that could be? I'm trying to get this fixed as quickly as possible.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Sounds like the relay is going bad.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, I googled around it sounds like it is the signal flasher. Sadly Ford has a special 12 pin out unit that looks like 2 regular flashers put together except with 6 pins each instead of 3. None of the local auto parts stores had it so I had to order it online and it won't be here till late next week.

Blerg.

CommunistCow on
  • MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Looks like somebody gets to use hand signals!

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Or don't bother. It's not like anyone else uses them anyway. Bonus points if you disconnect all rear taillight relay(s) at the same time.

Looks like somebody gets to use hand signals!

Somehow I don't think my wife will like this suggestion. :o

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    you know what's the best? Taking your car in to the mechanic for them to install a new fuel injector only to find out you need a whole new bloody engine! Now I get to play "wait 2 to 3 weeks while they ship your engine from Japan" while driving a craptastic loaner that smells funny.

Question: assuming my car has less than 30,000km on it, how bad is this going to tank my resale value ( you know, other than how much it's tanked just by virtue of driving it off the lot)

... I wonder if they'd give me the S.E.D.S. old one. . . It's about time I owned an extremely heavy coffee table. . .

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    Assuming it's being replaced with a new OEM engine by the dealer under warranty I can't imagine it'll affect the resale very much.

XBL: heavenkils
  • JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    The wife finally bought an FR-S. I am now an incredibly spoiled man.

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I've got a couple old engines in my garage that I've always thought would be really cool to coffee table-ify but they are quite heavy and need a lot cleaning.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Every time I think of engine as furniture, I think of this picture. not entirely sure why but that's just what happens.

crankwalk.jpg

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    Just thought I would show off my new ride:

555231_849964218306_109493710_n.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell from the photo, but the color is Hot Lava.

I've had it for close to two months now and just now hit 1,500 miles. So far I've been extremely happy with it. Had a 370Z before, which was great, but it's much easier to have fun in this car. I kind of wish I had waited for a BRZ to be in stock around here, just for the upgraded interior, but I'm still extremely happy with my purchase.

League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The FRS is sick, I've seen one, only once and it looks so good.

stfuad on
  • DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    Consider me jealous. I am looking at 05 Fiesta St's at the moment. Was one I could afford, but before I had a chance to go look it had gone :(

steam_sig.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I have a friend that is really kicking himself in the ass because he bought a Scion tC without doing the due dilligence to know that the FRS was comming out. This is a guy that had a 06 GTO before he traded it in. I still point and laugh at him if he brings it up.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Every time I see a FRS (Ive yet to actually see a BRZ) I get a little jealous. On the one hand it seems like a more fun 240sx, but on the other Im sort of used to driving around with 4 doors and I dont exactly miss the lack of a back seat.

That said, its definitely on my shortlist of cars to look at when Im finally able to afford a new car. Those cars are fucking sexy.

emp123 on
    edited August 2012
    That is pretty damn sexy. I don't think I realized it had the front lip spoilery thing until this picture.

If silly things like snow or money weren't a concern I would totally buy a BRZ.

CommunistCow on
    I still prefer the FT86 concept from the looks department.

Just once, I'd like to see one of these companies stick with a wild design from the Concept car.

2011-toyota-ft-86-ii-concept-front-side-view.jpg

So god damn menacing looking.

• CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    I still prefer the FT86 concept from the looks department.

Just once, I'd like to see one of these companies stick with a wild design from the Concept car.

2011-toyota-ft-86-ii-concept-front-side-view.jpg

So god damn menacing looking.

Definitely agree with you here. I'd been following the car since it was first announced and those concept photos were just jaw dropping.

Personally, I prefer the styling of the FR-S over the BRZ, but the interior on the BRZ is much much nicer.

As for the TC....man, I really feel bad for your friend. I test drove a TC once, after hearing everyone rave about how sporty they were, and I was extremely disappointed. They're a fine car, but they are not sporty at all. I felt like I was driving around a big bubble.

League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Forgot to mention, the tC has an auto...

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    So I just discovered the VW Phaeton exists. I could get a mid-2000s 450hp W12 for about as much as I expect the trade-in value of my Juke to be. . . I'm afraid I might look into doing so

So I just discovered the VW Phaeton exists. I could get a mid-2000s 450hp W12 for about as much as I expect the trade-in value of my Juke to be. . . I'm afraid I might look into doing so

MAINTENANCE COSTS.

Steam

I see you read Jalop's top 10 yesterday. Don't do it. All 10 of those cars are maintenance nightmares.

I actually had this same line of thought before I bought my last car. "Hmm, I can get an older luxury car for the same price as my new car..." before remembering that those older Porsches, Mercedes and their ilk cost a fuck ton to maintain.

• wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    There is a reason that you can buy a mid-2000's w12 Phaeton for the same price as a used Juke. They weren't terribly reliable, didn't sell well and got horrible fuel economy, even for the road barge they are. Parts and Labor on those things is in the range of $arm,leg&kidney.

"but 12 cylinders!" my inner Texan exclaims.

There are far better 12 cylinder platforms that you can get in that price range. The late 90's 750i had a pretty solid motor, the electronics in them were kinda iffy, but that's pretty much a given with high end luxury cars.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    wmelon wrote: »
    There is a reason that you can buy a mid-2000's w12 Phaeton for the same price as a used Juke. They weren't terribly reliable, didn't sell well and got horrible fuel economy, even for the road barge they are. Parts and Labor on those things is in the range of $arm,leg&kidney.

That, and it's really just a heavier Audi A8 W12 with VW cladding.

nibXTE7.png
    Clearly, the only answer is to get the Phaeton, and put the W12 into your Juke.

wmelon wrote: »

That, and it's really just a heavier Audi A8 W12 with VW cladding.

and 1/4 the price.
    Clearly, the only answer is to get the Phaeton, and put the W12 into your Juke.

Brilliant. That would probably even make the GTR powered Juke eat some dust.

re: the jalopnik list: even the volvo v70r is a nightmare?

You know, add some turbos to that baby and you've practically got a Veyron...

re: the jalopnik list: even the volvo v70r is a nightmare?

Having owned one, I can agree with that. It was an absolute dream to drive when everything was operating properly, but man did things break left and right. There wasn't 6 months that went past that didn't include me spending over a grand for replacement electronics or badly designed plastic parts. The entire dashboard is controlled by a single electronic module that just happens to be in a place in the car that moisture likes to condense in humid climates. That was plenty fun to drive around with until i could get to the closest volvo mechanic. All I had working was the tachometer! I then had to replace the radiator twice because the plastic end caps cracked and leaked and it was an 8 hour job to replace it.

Luckily the warranty was still around when the transfer case decided to give up the ghost and then the mechanics warranty covered it when it blew up the second time 80 days later.

That said, I miss the heck out of that car. It was beautiful to take up into the mountains and it had some of the best seats I've ever sat in.

Acid, didn't you just get the Juke less than a year ago?

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Winter is nearing, which means I will be storing the motorcycle soon. This also means I need to find a cheap car to get me to work.

What would you recommend for around $5,000?

Early 2000's Subaru Legacy or Impreza. Not the WRX or GT, respectively, because they will be more expensive. But those come with the awesome AWD. And get some decent winter tires, if you can.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Ugh. I liken purchasing a Subaru to partaking in an orgy. It's not something I want to do, but if done will forever change my way of life. For better or worse, who knows.

So far, I have found this and this.

edited August 2012
    I dunno about either of those for a winter car.
    I have heard that Miatas are generally a pain in the winter, because they are light, and the drive wheels are not the ones used for steering.
    The Lexus, I think, would be a better winter car, though I don't know anything specific about it.
    Have you thought of looking at light or small trucks, like a Ford Ranger kind of size, pre-2004 or so?
    Edit: The reason why I was thinking of a small truck is because of the 4WD. By getting a 2WD version, you're not any better off than with the Miata, because the bed is going to be empty, and thus really light, making it harder for you to get traction, regardless of tires. It's also easier to throw sandbags in the back to make it heavier and thus easier to control, but it seems to cause a very noticeable drop in MPG.

L Ron Howard on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    I dunno about either of those for a winter car.
    I have heard that Miatas are generally a pain in the winter, because they are light, and the drive wheels are not the ones used for steering.
    I think its more about where the weight is, in this case the engine. The driven wheels don't have weight over them and you'll lose traction.

I am not an expert, because I have never driven a Miata in winter myself. I am just going by what I've read and what I've been told by people who do have Miatas and have driven them in the winter.
    You're basically right, uh, Cocks. It's because the wheels that steer do not have power, it is hard to control. It is also hard, I've been told, because they are really light. It's not about power, but the weight. Because they weigh so little, and most of the little weight is on the opposite end from the drive wheels, traction is really hard. It is similar to a 2WD truck.