As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Podcasts about gaming and related geek stuff. [Recommend On!]

The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Instead of listening to the radio all the time while I'm at work (a man can only take so much NPR) I've managed to find a couple of podcasts to fill some time in my work day as well. However the weekly or sometimes longer intervals between most podcasts mean I usually come up short for things to listen to over a 40 hour work week. While google and my Zune software are happy to serve up search results I'd rather get recommendations from entities that listen to this stuff!

So far I'm getting:
Fat Man on Batman with Kevin Smith
The Cheap-Ass Gamer podcast
The Brainy Gamer
The 343 podcast

Given that list, what other podcasts should a guy like me be looking for?

Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
The LandoStander on

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Giantbomb

That's become one of my favorite podcasts. I find myself constantly laughing, even when they're not talking about videogames(which often happens)

Rebel FM is pretty good too, though that one tends to def focus more on games with little diversion.

The Nerdist Podcast can be hit and miss for me depending on the guest, but with something like 350 episodes, there's tons of good ones. Also, their hostful episodes, with just the three hosts talking tend to be fun.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Here's a second recommendation for the Giant Bombcast. If you're interested in gaming podcasts, I can also vouch for:

8-4 Play's a gaming podcast that usually runs about 3 hours and comes out weekly. Standard contributors are a number of gaming industry individuals living and working in Japan. They often focus on things I don't hear from other outlets, so they can be pretty novel.

Idle Thumbs is a recently kickstarted resurrection of a previous podcast that's just back into current circulation now. The three regular hosts are all individuals working in the games industry. Their show's generally an hour and a half or so.

Both of the above casts, much like the Giant Bombcast, involve everyone recording in the same room, which not only gives better audio quality, but also makes for a more natural flow of dialogue.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Idle Thumbs. I started listening from podcast #1 a few weeks ago and just now I'm caught up. It's fantastic.

• Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Totally Rad show is good as well. Movies, video games, comics and everything inbetween.

If you have some you like, listen to the guests (if there are any) and listen to their podcasts. It builds up a network pretty fast.

Gilbert0 on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    Thirding Idle Thumbs. Also Gamers With Jobs does a decent cast which is slightly more directed and mature. It hasn't been updated in a long time, but I'd strongly recommend listening to the old episodes of A Life Well Wasted by Robert Ashley. It's somewhat similar to Brainy Gamer in that each episode is quite tightly focused on a particular topic, and the production quality is excellent.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I like the Besties by the Polygon crew.

Each week each of the three participants brings in a new game to nominate as the best game out so far. It's pretty irrevelant but they're constantly funny. I also like it because it's a different set up from the usual "talk about games for an hour" cast.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    PC Gamer UK podcast was usually good IIRC. Only problem is that they only really put one out once a month. Was never that big a fan of the US version.

If you're into strategy games, Three Moves Ahead is awesome, it's basically dedicated to strategy games and they often have some good guests on there. The good thing is that they tend to focus on specific games / topics, so you can just pick what you're interested in listening to from their backlog. I tend not to listen to the boardgame wargamer stuff since a lot of it goes over my head.

subedii on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'll throw in another vote for Giant Bomb's podcast. Definitely my favorite.

If you don't mind going back a few years, check out 1up.com's earlier podcasts, especially GFW Radio. Shawn Elliott and Jeff Green really made that podcast.

Retronauts is also worth checking out if you want to hear people talk about older games. It's the only one left from 1up's classic podcast lineup; the rest they have these days are passable, but nothing like when they had 1up Yours, GFW Radio, and the 1up Show.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    this thread has a good list, though since it's older some of those are now defunct/rehosted

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also worth noting is "My Brother, My Brother, and Me" which is an advice show for the modern era by three brothers. Funny as hell. They've got a sampler of their material here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzagQwQgou4

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    The podcasts I regularly listen to on my drives are Giant Bomb ('nuff said), Retronauts (because I'm old and it's crazy informative), and Three Moves Ahead (strategy game focused). If I've listened to those, the backups are usually Joystiq Show, Gamers With Jobs and Podcast Action Committee.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Another bit of love for Giant Bomb here. Also, I had no idea Idle Thumbs was back. Great news.

One not mentioned: This is Only a Test. News about PC/Mac, tablets, smartphones, astronomy, oceanography... whatever stuff is going on that nerds would be interested in, really.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Another bit of love for Giant Bomb here. Also, I had no idea Idle Thumbs was back. Great news.

One not mentioned: This is Only a Test. News about PC/Mac, tablets, smartphones, astronomy, oceanography... whatever stuff is going on that nerds would be interested in, really.

Yeah, This is Only a Test is pretty entertaining. Plus occasionally they do a short 15-20 minute podcast with Adam from the Mythbusters which is nice.

• lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I mentioned it in an older thread but I'm a fan of the frogpants stuff. Particularly, The Morning Stream and Final Score.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Oh, another one I forgot: Star Talk. It's not a regular podcast, comes on for a week, back again a few weeks later, but it's excellent. Hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

And before they retire in October, you can catch Car Talk which is a bit less geeky, but still hilarious.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • BenMCOBBenMCOB Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »
    PC Gamer UK podcast was usually good IIRC. Only problem is that they only really put one out once a month. Was never that big a fan of the US version.

I'm glad to say that they've been doing episodes every fortnight for the past couple of months. It's still absolutely amazing and I'm hoping they can keep this up. The several month waits you sometimes got damn near killed me.

Here's one that's not specifically about gaming, but does tend to cover most geeky topics, Nerdy Show. They focus quite heavily on the Geek/Nerd music scene (The Protomen, MC Lars, OCRemix, etc), but they also cover comics, games, RPGs, movies and general geek happenings in varying amounts from episode to episode. They also showcase a number of other shows if you're interested, but my favourite of the bunch has to be their D&D podcast, titled Dungeons & Doritos. It takes them a few episodes to find their feet, but as they suggest, episode 11 is a great starting off point. Fair warning, all of their shows tend to be very NSFW.

KirbyvsMetaknight.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Cough cough my sig cough.

But seriously, I listen to Nerdist, Weird Things (hilarious), NSFW Show (not actually nsfw), Frame Rate and I just started the Indoor Kids which seems pretty great.

• Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Another vote for Giant Bombcast and This is Only a Test. My other favorite in the science realm is Quirks and Quarks from CBC. Can be found in iTunes or on the CBC.ca website. It is an awesome usually 1 hour long cast on interesting science things.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Another vote for Giantbomb.

Also, it can be a bit raunchy ( is done by some of the Howard Stern crew) but they also have top end guests a lot of the time too.
    Geek Time

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Another vote for The Nerdist, but it's very hit or miss. My recommendation is to only download episodes that have a comedian or celebrity that you're interested in (if you like Neil Degrasse Tyson, download their interview with him, for example). They've interviewed a TON of people, and I always find those interviews to be fascinating. In particular, the one with Tom Wilson, Conan O'Brian, John Oliver, Mythbusters, and Phil Platt are excellent.

I also listen to Star Talk, which is generally high quality and pretty funny (he almost always invites a comedian to lighten things up), and Radiolab, which is interesting and fascinating.

99% Invisible is a short podcast based mostly on architecture, but it has a lot of great stories and things you don't really think about on a day to day basis (thus, the name of the podcast).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png