As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mixed Martial Media: The Assassination Of UFC 151 By The Coward Jon Jones

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    It seems like MMA fighters these days can be split into fairly even groups

one large group were wrestlers, so they were mostly cool kids
    and then the other group did martial arts when they were kids, and they're all neeeeerds. Well, or Lyoto Machida I guess.
    Well, and then there's crazy Brazilians I guess as the third leg of the MMA bar stool

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    Exactly, it totally proves his point that All MMA fighters have no moral code because the fans don't agree with him on a website somewhere.
    Yeah there's a lack of moral values amongst MMA fans, and the WWE style environment that the UFC nurtures doesn't help.

Or would you like to defend these comments as completely virtuous and noble:
    fuck you and your tatami mats asshole.

He's french, of course he does'nt like anything approximating actual combat..

(N-word) is 6,8 and 280 pounds lol da fuck

go eat some crapes fag
    Are you new to sports in general? Take any major sport and you'll find comments like that for it
    Sure you can find that in any major sport. The difference is that same type of garbage doesn't come out of a President's mouth in those major sports.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm missing the part where everyone is there just for UFC stuff on MiddleEasy.
    I'm guessing baseball is also an Immoral sport based on my interactions at Yankees games with a Mets jersey on.
    I disagree with him when he says the sport of MMA is immoral.

But the UFC breeds an immoral culture in its presentation and that affects the fans and athletes. On the management side, it seems to be all about the money, as Dana White lies through his teeth to promote fights and threatens/fires fighters when they don't sign over all their rights, plus the possible appearance of corruption. On the fighter end, we've seen fighters who only want to win fights through any means necessary through lay and pray Fitch and runaway Guida, fighters who absolutely mock their opponent in Anderson Silva vs Maia, fighters who celebrate when they break a limb like Steve Cantwell, and fighters who cheat with TRT, performance enhancing drugs and vaseline.

And I'm sure on the fan side you know about the just bleed guys, the dudebros wearing tapout shirts and those who put down fighters or anyone else who don't agree with thier fanaticism about the UFC.

It's pretty preposterous that you're going to say UFC fans in particular have terrible traits. Many people from many different walks of life happen to be total jerks. Some of those jerks happen to watch MMA. That doesn't mean that MMA and/or the UFC causes those people to be jerks. It just means that jerks happen to watch it.

Take this thread, for instance. I don't think anyone on here is actually a jerk. And, in fact, a lot of people here are Sonnen fans. A guy who personifies the pro wrestling aspect that you think causes problems. Also, he takes TRT, makes fun of his opponents, wants to get paid and has been involved in corruption charges with his former business.

And yet, none of the people here who are fans of his antics are the kinds of terrible people that you're talking about here. I find your premise flawed and ridiculous. Also, you do realize that if you think it's such a terrible thing, you can always stop watching, right? It doesn't ever sound like you actually enjoy the UFC or any of it's fights or fighters. So why watch?

Though, I will agree with you on Dana. He's obviously busy all over the world trying to expand their business. And he should keep doing that. But putting too many mics in front of him turns him into a raging douchebag sometimes. At some point, his work isn't going to be as important as what's coming out of his mouth. At that point, it'll be time for him to step down. They're still just right under the mainstream, so he can get away with saying most things. But it won't be long before he costs more than he's worth.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    edited August 2012
    Double post

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
    Take this thread, for instance. I don't think anyone on here is actually a jerk. And, in fact, a lot of people here are Sonnen fans. A guy who personifies the pro wrestling aspect that you think causes problems. Also, he takes TRT, makes fun of his opponents, wants to get paid and has been involved in corruption charges with his former business.

And yet, none of the people here who are fans of his antics are the kinds of terrible people that you're talking about here. I find your premise flawed and ridiculous.
    Actually it could be argued that the Sonnen fanaticism is a bad thing for the sport, and why someone could say there's a lack of morals in the UFC culture.

The pro wrestling aspect isn't bad in and of itself, but it is bad for the fanatical fans that it creates. In any other sport there are superstars, agreed, but when those superstars are caught cheating, they tend to lose all their fans. Mark McGwuire no longer has any fans after being caught roiding, and Tiger Woods lost a ton of fans after he was revealed to be a terrible cheating person. In contrast, Sonnen is like both of these guys combined with cheating in the sport and scamming in his personal life, and yet he's still one of the most popular UFC superstars.

That's why someone could say that the UFC's culture is immoral, in that not only do they not care about cheating fighters, some of them even argue that taking steroids and other performance enhancing drugs is a-ok.

Besides, how moral can an organization be if it's trying to sell you Shogun/Vera as a legitimate #1 contenders match?

Besides, how moral can an organization be if it's trying to sell you Shogun/Vera as a legitimate #1 contenders match?

....touche

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

and then the other group did martial arts when they were kids, and they're all neeeeerds. Well, or Lyoto Machida I guess.
    Well, and then there's crazy Brazilians I guess as the third leg of the MMA bar stool

Ben was a wrestler, too.

In one of this hype shows he said how he would be at wrestling competitions in high school.

He'd sit behind the bleachers with a book. Then fight. Then go back to reading.

<3

mvaYcgc.jpg

....touche

Hahahahah, ok, that was actually really good. I knew we kept you around for some reason Beel.

mvaYcgc.jpg
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Ben was a wrestler, too.

In one of this hype shows he said how he would be at wrestling competitions in high school.

He'd sit behind the bleachers with a book. Then fight. Then go back to reading.

<3

Bendo's definitely a cool dude

I look forward to Frankie Edgar dropping down to 145 so I can root for both of them

But until then, Benson lovin' is verboten

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ummm... I may have yelled at chu which may have resulted in the current title. For that I am sor... no wait... I'm quite happy.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    it took me ages to find the thread

chu why are all your titles so fucking bad

edited August 2012
    815165 wrote: »
    it took me ages to find the thread

chu why are all your titles so fucking bad

I dunno, I think MMM is more moral than MMA.

Moral enough to add an extra M, for Moral.

B:L on
    mixed moral arts

and in related news, Kayla Harrison became the first American to ever win a gold medal in judo, wooo

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i didn't do this thread title, it was a mod to troll you for all being such huge fucking whiners about this thread

And yet, none of the people here who are fans of his antics are the kinds of terrible people that you're talking about here. I find your premise flawed and ridiculous.
    Actually it could be argued that the Sonnen fanaticism is a bad thing for the sport, and why someone could say there's a lack of morals in the UFC culture.

The pro wrestling aspect isn't bad in and of itself, but it is bad for the fanatical fans that it creates. In any other sport there are superstars, agreed, but when those superstars are caught cheating, they tend to lose all their fans. Mark McGwuire no longer has any fans after being caught roiding, and Tiger Woods lost a ton of fans after he was revealed to be a terrible cheating person. In contrast, Sonnen is like both of these guys combined with cheating in the sport and scamming in his personal life, and yet he's still one of the most popular UFC superstars.

That's why someone could say that the UFC's culture is immoral, in that not only do they not care about cheating fighters, some of them even argue that taking steroids and other performance enhancing drugs is a-ok.

The last line of this sold me, actually.

I'm now officially in the Beel Brigade for Better Morals.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i didn't do this thread title, it was a mod to troll you for all being such huge fucking whiners about this thread
    what whining are you talking about?

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Dynagrip wrote: »

they know who they are

*lazy eyed glare*

• DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Holy shit, Machida weighed in at 201 lbs.

Judging from the way he took a swig of water before stepping on the scale, I figured he either missed weight by so much he didn't care anymore, or he didn't even need to worry about being over.

Dangerbird on
    Dynagrip wrote: »

I'd also like to know.

mvaYcgc.jpg
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Holy shit, Machida weighed in at 201 lbs.

Judging from the way he took a swig of water before stepping on the scale, I figured he either missed weight by so much he didn't care anymore, or he didn't even need to worry about being over.

He's come in at 203 before. He looks big, but I don't think he cuts that much weight.

mvaYcgc.jpg
    edited August 2012
    shogun is fighting today and i am not excited

is this real life

edit: though this is definitely exciting

possible pettis vs cowboy fight

http://mmajunkie.com/news/30016/ufc-150s-cerrone-wants-pettis-fight-if-victorious-over-guillard-pettis-camp-accepts.mma

815165 on
    That's because Vera's revenge is finally about to come to fruition, and he'll end up getting a title shot

Jones vs Vera II: Seriously, who cares about LHW; Reloaded

edited August 2012
    ChillyWilly on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I don't know how many of you have been watching the Olympics, but this happened yesterday: http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/alex-morgan-knee-2.gif

My favorite part of that is the girl who connects with the knee hitting the ground and holding her knee, I'm pretty sure the other girl is in a lot more pain and nobody feels sorry for you.

That's one of the reasons I can't stand soccer. After seeing what MMA fighters go through to train and I see some of the weak BS that soccer plays pull to get cards on other players, I kind of start hating everyone I see on the field.

• DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    That's one of the reasons I can't stand soccer. After seeing what MMA fighters go through to train and I see some of the weak BS that soccer plays pull to get cards on other players, I kind of start hating everyone I see on the field.
    It's infiltrated basketball and even football as well. Defensive players will fall to the ground holding various imaginary injuries to slow down the offense and get a brother. It's very frustrating. The NFL should do its best to stamp it out.

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Some countries do the whole diving fake injury thing a lot more than others

[edit] 6HaxB.gif

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    Why do all soccer players use covering their faces as the international sign that they're faking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-H2wXK4T4

It's because the game is so ridiculously hard to referee that you don't need to be a particularly good actor to get away with it.

But it's endemic in MMA as well.

20926au.jpg

"Endemic."

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    so uh

prelims in 30?

steam_sig.png
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    Yup, starting now

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
    Nice standup and fantastic elbows from Moraga there

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    moleface wrote: »
    Nice standup and fantastic elbows from Moraga there

Where is this, just on facebook or something?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    No facebook fights this time round. The prelims are on Fuel for the next few hours till the main card on Fox

man, i thought the prelims were going to be on facebook. fuel is a bunch of bullshit, even when i did have cable. no HD, fuck that noise.

man between the olympics being on and vera being a headliner, this event's gonna have terrrible rating

Which means it'll probably end up having some good fights

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    poor josh grispi

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    I really do like Sonnen as a commentator