As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Red Dwarf] Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas. ... Whatever!

KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Red Dwarf X is coming in the fall. Actually, I think the actors being older will add some edge to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-qQ_twvleg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsgRgAC7uqc

I hope, at some point, they do that Cat episode they story-boarded on the DVDs.

This link has a bunch of behind the scenes videos:

The season is already in the can and will come out in the fall on Dave. Discuss.

Krathoon on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    After the last return to this series, I am dubious. So very dubious.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I too am skeptical. Also is Kryten's nose weird to anyone else?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah. I really hope the special was just a test run and they learned from it. The whole Blade Runner parody was grating.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    The last one was not great. Maybe this will be better, but I'm not sure. I kind of feel like there was this great series in the past and I wish they wouldn't try to reclaim that glory again as it ends up souring my view of the old stuff.

• Options
    They are using a live audience. That is a plus.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think one of the larger issues with Back to Earth was:
    The plot was a rehash of "Back to Reality". They fight the squid, then a contrivance brings them to a world where their previous lives was a work of fiction and they have to deal with that before they realise the truth that it's all a hallucination. The Blade Runner references were the non-icing on the anti-cake.

But hey, we can use this thread to celebrate the finer points of the show.

...How did I do what?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Stoke me a clipper.

I'll be honest, the opening minutes of Back To Earth were great, mainly because when there was no laugh after Lister's tomato gag, it felt like they were going for "this isn't so funny anymore" and it was gonna be like super dark comedy. But then it wasn't and it all got pretty bad. D:

If the rumour of this series finale being
    an explanation of what happened to Rimmer after Only The Good is true, then I'm pretty hype. Would love to see how they write him out of that corner. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    One thing to say.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

So pumped for this. I must be the only person who really liked BTE.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I am skeptical.

Do we know who's writing it?

EDIT: Naylor. Hmmm.

japan on
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I love RD so much. It's one of the fondest memories from my childhood, watching it on PBS along with other great British comedies ('Allo 'Allo, Mr. Bean and others). I'm excited to see it getting another go.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I am skeptical.

Do we know who's writing it?

EDIT: Naylor. Hmmm.

This here is the problem. It's not the good part of the writing team who wrote the last one or who is writing this one. This just makes me incredibly sceptical as to whether it will be funny or not.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I dunno, I used to love Red Dwarf but I feel you can spot the exact moment it starts to be not as good and its the series where Rob Grant split from Naylor and stopped writing for it.

The difference between Grant and Naylors styles is even more apparent if you read both of their individual "conclusions" to the book trilogy. Naylors book is all wacky hichhikers guide to the galaxy slash alien of the week adventures. Grants is a lot bleaker but ultimately funnier in a dark kind of way.

The series kept going with Naylors wacky stuff and I get the feeling that Grant was the one in the duo who stepped in a lot and said "woah, too far".

Jeedan on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    My feeling was always that Grant wrote stronger characters and plot with more depth, but that Naylor was the one with the flair for the one-liner.

The earlier stuff always felt like more inventive, flowing, situation comedy whereas the later stuff tended more towards bumbling between scenes built around a couple of good lines.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I grew up watching series 1-6 (thanks to VHS taped RD marathons on PBS)

The last couple seasons left me pretty unimpressed and Back to Earth was what it was. :P

I'm not getting my hopes up, I don't want to know what it feels like to watch a beloved childhood show (like, say, Winnie the Pooh) die a horrible death before me.
    I am, in fact, very hopeful and excited for this, despite knowing better.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Red dwarf is something I can't help but view through rose tinted glasses. Yeah, I know exactly what people mean when they say you see the dip in quality when Grant and Naylor split up, but I can't not like Red Dwarf. It will have to suck something fierce for me to not find something to like about it.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The series died a death after season 6. I've watched a few episodes since then... but they're just not fucking funny.

I won't hold my breath for this one either.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    SandarkenSandarken EnglandRegistered User regular
    I think one of the larger issues with Back to Earth was:
    The plot was a rehash of "Back to Reality". They fight the squid, then a contrivance brings them to a world where their previous lives was a work of fiction and they have to deal with that before they realise the truth that it's all a hallucination. The Blade Runner references were the non-icing on the anti-cake.

But hey, we can use this thread to celebrate the finer points of the show.

...How did I do what?

I had a very odd problem with it (on top of what you've already said there) and the more I think about it the more stupid my reason seems but I just can't get it out of my head...

Unlike every other season of Red Dwarf, Back to Earth... didn't have a laugh track. I know it sounds stupid right? "This guy's an idiot! What he wasn't to know when to laugh? What a marooooon!", but it's just a very minor thing that from the very start really put me off it >_<

Videogamephibian - Currently playing: Pretty much everything
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I'm still hopeful. Back to Earth wasn't great, but it still had good moments. Hopefully they've seen what went wrong and have spent their time away trying to improve things.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Well sometimes nice things don't have to be great to be enjoyable

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Skeptical, but still excited.

Although now I have an excuse to rewatch gunmen of the apocalypse for the millionth time.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Seeing an aged Rimmer was lulzy in of itself. I really hope they get the writing fixed up for this and play on the age of the characters.

Ohplzohplzohplzohplz be at least enjoyable. I'll take fun but flawed, I'm not picky.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    dulmonkeydulmonkey Grammatically Unsound Registered User regular
    I want this to be good, but a buddy of mine made a good point. He said:

"I don't really care if its good. I'll watch it anyway."

I hate to admit it, but he's right. I'll watch it even if its terrible.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    dulmonkey wrote: »
    I want this to be good, but a buddy of mine made a good point. He said:

"I don't really care if its good. I'll watch it anyway."

I hate to admit it, but he's right. I'll watch it even if its terrible.

As much as I gripe I know I'm going to watch every new episode at least once.

But if the reviews suggest that it's awful I might wait till it's on Netflix or something.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    japan wrote: »
    My feeling was always that Grant wrote stronger characters and plot with more depth, but that Naylor was the one with the flair for the one-liner.

The earlier stuff always felt like more inventive, flowing, situation comedy whereas the later stuff tended more towards bumbling between scenes built around a couple of good lines.

I agree. From series 7 on they started losing the depth and were primarily relying on gags. Hopefully, they have realized this and have added in some new writers to flesh things out.

The whole thing with Rimmer kicking death in the nuts pretty much encapsulated that. The series ended with a one off gag that came out of nowhere.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular

There are two things worth keeping mind about the series following Rob Grant's departure.

Firstly, series VII was made with a team of writers. Doug Naylor wasn't sure about writing an eight-episode season alone, and my understanding is that the BBC basically convinced him that bringing in an American-style writing team would be better. Obviously not the case (although I love the dramatic tone of series VII, it doesn't quite manage to balance it with the humour).

Series VIII was written by Naylor more or less on his one. This time Naylor was deliberately trying to step away from his established style and make something different. Obviously whether or not he succeeded is largely up for debate - fans more or less agree that the only good episode in the series is "Cassandra", and that's basically a retread of "Future Echoes".

Back to Earth, which is retroactively Series IX, was written by Naylor alone, and produced on a budget of virtually nothing (much of the CG was done by a guy in New Zealand in exchange for a signed copy of the script). Dave and BBC Worldwide had virtually no money to give them, and so the story was more or less forced down a path that required a lot of location shots. For my money, this is some of the best Red Dwarf since the show's sixth series. Yes, it's a little masturbatory and self-referential, but as an anniversary special that's more or less expected, and it does a pretty good job of it.

Series X is once again written by Naylor on his lonesome, the first time he's written a full series on his own since "The 10%ers", where he basically ended up rewriting all of Rob Grant's scripts. It's worth noting that the reception from people who went to studio recordings has been almost universally positive. That they've also not spoiled anything so far (at the request of the production team) is something of a minor miracle and a bit of a blessing, too.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    It will be funny if they have a few situations in the show where the characters have actually learned from past mistakes. Some "I'm too old for this shit." moments.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It will be funny if they have a few situations in the show where the characters have actually learned from past mistakes. Some "I'm too old for this shit." moments.

My favourite part of Crystal Skull was Indy's senior moment with the whip in Warehouse 51. "Damn, thought it'd be closer." Some of that in Red Dwarf would be much appreciated.

There are some people complaining that the cast are now simply too old to play their respective characters, though it's worth noting from reading the original script for "The End" (which is included at the end of the Omnibus edition of the Red Dwarf novels) that Rimmer and Lister were originally supposed to be in their 40s. Also of note, Lister was specifically written with Christopher Lloyd's performance in "Taxi" in mind, while Rimmer was written as Dan Aykroyd (not that that's who the writers imagined they'd cast, of course - that's madness - but those two actors kind of form the basis for the proto-Rimmer and Lister).

• Options
    Yes. It is really closer to the original concept now. I hope they tie the whole thing up with Lister meeting his younger self. It is predictable, but a nice way to wrap things up.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    http://audioboo.fm/boos/924447-kryten-s-chit-chat-show :D

"There is a book, and then there's nothing..."

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    The cast, along with writer Doug Naylor, recently did a chatty interview-y thing for Broadcast, which premiere Red Dwarf fansite Ganymede & Titan have broken down for us. Included is this brilliant bit of info:
    Of the new series, [Craig Charles] says: “We’ve stopped being an action adventure series and gone back to being more of a sitcom. Back To Earth looked fantastic and was very clever but it wasn’t as funny as it could have been, choosing to be more of an emotional journey. We’re now back to being four clowns in a room, each trying to be funnier than the next man.

Now, I loved Back to Earth, but it was very clearly made for people like me - hardcore fans of the series. It was choc-a-bloc with back-references and continuity, which I liked, but isn't necessarily accessible to a wider audience. That the show is returning to its roots circa Series III, IV and V is probably wise.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    The cast, along with writer Doug Naylor, recently did a chatty interview-y thing for Broadcast, which premiere Red Dwarf fansite Ganymede & Titan have broken down for us. Included is this brilliant bit of info:
    Of the new series, [Craig Charles] says: “We’ve stopped being an action adventure series and gone back to being more of a sitcom. Back To Earth looked fantastic and was very clever but it wasn’t as funny as it could have been, choosing to be more of an emotional journey. We’re now back to being four clowns in a room, each trying to be funnier than the next man.

Now, I loved Back to Earth, but it was very clearly made for people like me - hardcore fans of the series. It was choc-a-bloc with back-references and continuity, which I liked, but isn't necessarily accessible to a wider audience. That the show is returning to its roots circa Series III, IV and V is probably wise.

Agreed. I doubt anyone will disagree that series 3-6 was where Red Dwarf really shone. I don't expect the new series to be anywhere near as good without Grant on-board, but if Naylor can at least appreciate why those were the best seasons, and the stars align correctly then maybe, just maybe we could have the best series since VI.

But probably not :(

• Options
    It just depends if they added another writer similar to Grant on board. If they amp up the sci-fi element, it will be back to old times again.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular

I'd like to consider myself a fairly hardcore fan of the series and I found BTE to be soul-crushingly terrible, most other fans of the series I know would agree. It started so promisingly too, I enjoyed the bits back on the ship at the start of the first part but everything after was awful, just utterly terrible.

I want this season to be good, I really do. The teaser-trailer they've showed looks 'ok' but I've a feeling I'll still be wishing they ended the show on the last shot of season 6 (I wasn't a fan of the alternate, deleted end either).

And no Kochanski in sight, thank God.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Love that clip, I can't wait to see this series now.

• Options
    I wonder how they will explain why they are in different sleeping quarters.

• Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    Welcome back Red Dwarf thread.

This starts tonight and I am smegging stoked.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    Just watched the new ep, opinions below.
    Bit of a slow start but the running on hold gag and Listers blow out at the end were funny as hell.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Just caught the episode by chance but missed first minute. Did they explain what happened or link it to previous events?

Liked it though, I felt it has kept the old feel or vibe

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Gadzooks! It did not know it started up.