As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SWTOR] I have been granted Emergency Powers. [Mark Spoilers]

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited August 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
There has been a technical error which has eaten the post history of @jdarksun like a hungry sarlacc. Unfortunately, he was also the source of like, 90% of the SWTOR threads, which leaves us in a bit of jam. So, while his posts and threads digest for over a thousand years, I have been granted Emergency Thread-Making Powers.

What could possibly go wrong?
Xsh3Q.jpg

There will be more details here later. The goal right now is to give you back the thread ASAP.

So enjoy, and remember to mark your fucking sp- I mean, May the Force Be With You.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    While I'm neglecting my gear-up-the-alts plan in favor of the buy-every-legacy-unlock plan, I'm finding myself disappointed that the astromech repair droid doesn't sell any Slicing +efficiency/critical sensors.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Any speculation on the new planet adding more story stuff?
    I'd also like to see more stuff on the Rakata or the Ek...adsfjk;ladfsjk;ladfs guys that are taking over all of the things on Belsavis.

PSN: jfrofl
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I think I heard that the next update is going to have a bunch of Dread Masters stuff

• kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    I would expect so. Seems like they're setting up the Double Sith as the endgame antagonists for both factions.

• dulmonkeydulmonkey Grammatically Unsound Registered User regular
    The new Operation deals with the Dread Masters. On the official dev podcast they were talking about how its going to be unlike anything in the game so far(including the visual style of the assets used). All I've heard about the new story stuff is that the new planet is called Makeb.

• Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    So I am really looking forward to getting into TOR when it goes F2P. Does anyone know if the client itself will be free when they eventually roll that out? Or should I start looking for cheap copies now?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    So I am really looking forward to getting into TOR when it goes F2P. Does anyone know if the client itself will be free when they eventually roll that out? Or should I start looking for cheap copies now?

I heard 15 dollars once it goes F2P, which is almost assuredly less than what it would cost before that time.

$15? Holy crap. I'd pay $60 now that it's F2P and we can get the whole story. That is an absolute steal.

sig.gif

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    $15? Holy crap. I'd pay $60 now that it's F2P and we can get the whole story. That is an absolute steal.
    We don't know for sure what the F2P restrictions are. You may be limited to one class' story.

jdarksun wrote: »
    We don't know for sure what the F2P restrictions are. You may be limited to one class' story.

I'd still be OK with that, but from what I've read it sounds like all eight are available.
    IGN wrote:
    All eight character storylines up to level 50 will be accessible with restricted access to new content and advanced features.

sig.gif

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I've heard is as the client being $15 now and will be free come F2P.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • CrumbCrumb Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I think the only restriction, as far as the class stories are concerned, will be the number of character slots available to F2P players.

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Wipe the TOR threads out....all of them. ;)

Been seeing some new folks lately in the guild, which is good. We still on for raid nights this week?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    Just found this, might be good for the OP if you guys do that: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Illustrates what they're looking to do in terms of subscriber vs. F2P features. I'm guessing there will probably be more.

sig.gif

• MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Do Republic characters come across the Dreadmasters on Belsavis or is that Empire only?

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Just found this, might be good for the OP if you guys do that: http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Illustrates what they're looking to do in terms of subscriber vs. F2P features. I'm guessing there will probably be more.
    Yeah, I'm still a little gun shy about creating new threads. Gonna be a bit before I take the reins of anything major.

edited August 2012
    Do Republic characters come across the Dreadmasters on Belsavis or is that Empire only?

As far as I can tell,
    it's Empire only. The Republic line is about stopping the Esh-Ka from obtaining a starship and heading out into the galaxy. The Empire side finishes, "chronologically", after the Republic side does (as the Empire bit ends with Warden Fatso getting killed/driven mad while he's still alive and sane in the Republic end), so the Republic never hears about the Dread Masters.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I like how the GTN is Limited and More Limited for options.

With species restricted for free players, I wonder if that affects those already made?

newSig.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nocren wrote: »

With species restricted for free players, I wonder if that affects those already made?
    Generally speaking, that kind of stuff is grandfathered in.

Otherwise, let's say the game goes free and you sub for a few months. You then unsub to take a break, and when you come back...your characters are all humans now? That would just piss people off.

YL9WnCY.png
  • kafzielkafziel Registered User regular

I believe 50 is the cap on sales you can put up right now anyway.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    kmart is selling the CE for $30. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_018W003940258001P
    $1 shipping or free in-store pickup

edited August 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Generally speaking, that kind of stuff is grandfathered in.

Otherwise, let's say the game goes free and you sub for a few months. You then unsub to take a break, and when you come back...your characters are all humans now? That would just piss people off.

Usually with games that do race restrictions (like EQ2), any character of a race or class you haven't bought access to is unusable unless you buy access to said race if you drop from a sub to F2P. Grandfathering such things in is the exception and not the rule.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    korodullin wrote: »

As far as I can tell,
    it's Empire only. The Republic line is about stopping the Esh-Ka from obtaining a starship and heading out into the galaxy. The Empire side finishes, "chronologically", after the Republic side does (as the Empire bit ends with Warden Fatso getting killed/driven mad while he's still alive and sane in the Republic end), so the Republic never hears about the Dread Masters.

Oh right. Now I remember that. So that's weird then for the Republic side.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Yeah, my experience with class and race restrictions has been you're locked out until you pay. I just hope this means they get some new races in quickly.

Also the original thread isn't coming back. Tube broke JDark to the point of no return.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'm betting the class/race restrictions are just the pre-legacy ones the game launched with.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    kmart is selling the CE for $30. http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_018W003940258001P
    $1 shipping or free in-store pickup

Wow...that's...that's....A SLAP IN THE FACE!

I might get another........

edited August 2012
    Are the CE extras worth it? I'll probably wait until August when it drops to $15.00, but if CE has some neat stuff I'll jump on that.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

I think it gets you access to some unique social armor (Republic Officer and Imperial Trooper) and a special color crystal, but that's about it. Maybe a unique speeder too, I forget.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Speeder, the security key generator (with access to the vendor), color crystal, etc. You also get the Darth Malgus figure, TOR soundtrack (which is pretty good), and an art/background book about the game. I believe CE editions are supposed to get more of the Cartel Credits when the game goes F2P as well.

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm kind of tempted, but the only things that are worth it at this point are the statue, access to the CE vendor on the fleet, and a security key if you don't already have one. You do get an some additional cartel coins too, but I'm having a hard time justifying buying the game again even at $30.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • CrumbCrumb Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    korodullin wrote: »

The official FAQ that they have says there will be no restrictions on race for characters you already have when you go from a subscription to a F2P account. The only restriction is the number of character slots you are allowed so you may have to choose which characters are active.

Crumb on
  • Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    For $30, that's a real steal if you don't own it already. Also it does feel like a punch to the gut since I bought CE, oh well. I was a sucker for it since it's star wars. Can't really predict the future on these mmo's (well yes you can, they all are going down the hole!)

Pat_McRoch on
    It's well worth $30 and if you don't like the statue you can always flip it on the Bay.

That said I just tried to purchase it myself off of K-Mart and it gave an OOS error each time...and it still charged my paypal. Fair warning.

Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Seeing as how you can just buy the statue for 30 bones, you're going to have to wait a while before the CE becomes scarce enough for the statue to be worth anything on eBay.

Shit, I think the statue is still even in production as a standalone item.

YL9WnCY.png
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Seeing as how you can just buy the statue for 30 bones, you're going to have to wait a while before the CE becomes scarce enough for the statue to be worth anything on eBay.

Shit, I think the statue is still even in production as a standalone item.

Well the lowest I've ever seen it go for (Not broken) is $20 and was usually upwards to about $40. Now this might drop a little because of the CE price drop but since it sold out in hours I doubt that most got their hands on it, so it might not change much. If they do a standalone item (I haven't heard of it) then that might do something, but flipping it right out of the gate should net you most of the cost back, if not more.

Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    edited August 2012
    I started playing this a few days ago, what are some must-have addons I should be using?
    I obv need some skillbars, I have no idea why a 3x12 grid at minimum isn't standard for an mmo these days.

edit: and actually, what's the pa guilds info? I know it was in the murdered op before
    see below

edit 2: I guess you can't modify the ui at all? pretty weak

SaraLuna on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in the CE if they had a Satele Shan version of the statue.

salvaged from the google cache of the old thread:
    GUILD INFO

We have a bunch of "official" PA Forum guilds now. Here's a breakdown by type and server:

PvE - The Shadowlands
    Both factions regularly monitor the Penny Arcade chat channel. To join, enter "/cjoin pennyarcade" in the chat window.

I'll be leading the Sith Empire guild to glorious victory over the weak fools in the Republic.
    <Remarkable Circumference> - (Sith Empire / PvE / US East) [Twitter] [Guild Site]
    Guild Leader - Bannon
    Dark Council - VoodooV, Grouchie, jdarksun
    Dark Lord - many, many people

devCharles has taken the helm of the "Good Guys" (pffft).
    <Rigorous Scholarship> - (Galactic Republic / PvE / US East) [Twitter] [Guild Site]
    Guild Leader: Hal
    Officers: Amon, Chan'dra, Kelvin (CostanzaK)

WolveSight is heading up one of the offshoots:
    <Candymancers> - (Galactic Republic / PvE / US East)

PvE (Europe) - Hydian Way

Yogo has set up a Sith Empire rival to Disregard for Canon:
    <Accidental Masterpiece> - (Sith Empire / PvE / Europe)

Louis is running the Republic side - he's good people!
    <Disregard for Canon> - (Galactic Republic / PvE / Europe)
    Guild Leader: Kafka87

PvP - Wound in the Force

For those who prefer more of a challenge, we have Sonork and friends. Some PA folk, some RL friends, all good guys on Sonork's vouching. Go check them out if you're looking for some West Coast action.
    <Gamer's Taphouse> - (Sith Empire / PvP / US West)

Set in an adversarial role to Gamer's Taphouse is The Honour Bound Crusade, run by our very own McWhat. He's a cool dude, I played APB with him.
    <Bigger Than Yours> - (Galactic Republic / PvP / US West)
    You can either contact dinodynamo on these boards or on one of his characters (Fancypants/Hatespants/Hatesfancypants) in game. Alternately, you can /cjoin joinpennyarcade in game, and any officer online can assist you.

RP - Lord Adraas

Infidel and I are setting up a Sith RP group on the Lord Adraas server. Please PM Infidel to express your interest. More information will be posted as it becomes available.

In the attempt to get the PA guilds sharing a region (and type) on the same server, they have flagged each other as Adversaries or Allies.

PAA - Helm of Graush

There are also two guilds from the Penny Arcade Alliance. They're not affiliated with the PA Forums; these are guys from the "Penny Arcade vs. PvP" Dark Iron fracas in World of Warcraft. They're a PvP-focused group.

Surrender the Cookies - (Sith Empire / PvP / US East)
    Disregard for Canon - (Galactic Republic / PvP / US East)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:r9u78MnQkbgJ:forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/158341/swtor-chat-free-to-play-coming-this-fall-mark-spoilers+&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

• Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The statue that comes with the CE edition is made by gentle giant and it's ok imo. But I really like sideshows a whole lot better.

wvbt05.jpg

edit: removed large pics

Pat_McRoch on
This discussion has been closed.