As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, August 6, 2012 - Fleamium

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    FTVFTV Registered User regular
    I really think the designer that did the Zynga logo nailed it. Perfectly captures that kind of companies' douche canoe attitude.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Is the Evil Chancellor meant to be someone in particular, or is he just a generic Scheming Vizier?

Also I would totally name a game "Unannounced EA Clone", even if it had nothing to do with EA.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Ok, looking for context on this one. What lawsuit, and who's the dog?

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Context!

The dog is just a characterization of the Zynga logo.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Zynga made a game that is strikingly similar to EA' Sims Online or similar, so EA have decided to raise this point in court.

I think the dog is Zynga's logo?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRADW9tEbx8arySZQDXQ3NmNshgoWztsnP055nHRwoYKQrHZXjad7gpR30

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just love how very doggy that dog looks. No lack of spittle here, folks!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of chaps.

what's the uh, sarcasm color or whatever? just imagine that it's on that sentence.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm almost 100% positive that the evil vizier is from Diablo 3. He looks exactly like the ones that turn into snakes in Act 2.

Great comic though, I love the dog's expressions.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I really like this comic.

Zynga is out of their fucking minds. They already responded to EA's lawsuit announcement saying they're going to fight back. They're pretty much saying, "We're going to court to get smacked down." I actually dislike the company. It's their culture. Buy everything small, copy other people's products. Like not just the premise, it's like copy EVERYTHING.

• Options
    cfsbrawlcfsbrawl Registered User regular
    This comic is my favorite thing.

• Options
    boydthemilkmanboydthemilkman Registered User new member
    Here's some context.
    "It's unfortunate that EA thought that this was an appropriate response to our game, and clearly demonstrates a lack of understanding of basic copyright principles," Davis said. "It's also ironic that EA brings this suit shortly after launching SimCity Social, which bears an uncanny resemblance to Zynga's CityVille game."

... I don't know what to say to this

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Life still manages to throw you some real curveballs sometimes doesn't it? Here I am rooting for EA to win a lawsuit! Ha!

• Options
    mato-andrewmato-andrew Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Life still manages to throw you some real curveballs sometimes doesn't it? Here I am rooting for EA to win a lawsuit! Ha!

Never once in my life thought I would say this: EA needs to win this lawsuit.

You're right. Life is good at curveballs.

They're gathered like wolves on the boardwalk below, howling for answers no wolves can know!
  • Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    So EA is suing Zynga because "The Ville" is too much like "The Sims Social." Okay, fine.

But could Zynga counter sue because "Sim City Social" is too much like "CityVille"?

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    So EA is suing Zynga because "The Ville" is too much like "The Sims Social." Okay, fine.

But could Zynga counter sue because "Sim City Social" is too much like "CityVille"?

Probably not. Zynga doesn't have their own ideas...ever, really. I feel like EA had a copyright on most of the functions of their games long before Zynga came out with the copycat versions.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Not really, the sim city franchise predates cityville by... decades? If anything cityville is a sim city knockoff.

Well I think the difference here is that EA don't care about being douchebags as log as it turns them a profit, they're just a faceless, amoral, corperate money making machine. Zynga on the other hand, from the ground up are a company that seems to have a corperate philosophy of being raging asshats for its own sake.

Casual on
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    I'm getting a kick out of EA claiming their lawsuit against Zynga is also about standing up for the 'little guys'.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

It's not the first time you'd be cheering for EA. They counter-suited against Tim Langdell, a famous patent troll, and won. The court stripped his goddamn "EDGE" patent / copyright bullshit.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I'm getting a kick out of EA claiming their lawsuit against Zynga is also about standing up for the 'little guys'.

But it really is. Zynga are just straight up rip-off merchants but most of the people they've ripped off are too small to even think of doing anything about it. Whilst you can't (rightly so) copyright game mechanics Zynga's perfect reproduction of other's ideas combined with the (at times) startlingly similar art direction is basically grotesque.

EA laying the smackdown is doing it for every developer who'd had their semi-popular game cloned to fuck by Zynga.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options

But it really is. Zynga are just straight up rip-off merchants but most of the people they've ripped off are too small to even think of doing anything about it. Whilst you can't (rightly so) copyright game mechanics Zynga's perfect reproduction of other's ideas combined with the (at times) startlingly similar art direction is basically grotesque.

EA laying the smackdown is doing it for every developer who'd had their semi-popular game cloned to fuck by Zynga.

Zynga has resources to run people down in a battle of attrition via legal fees. The small guys eventually will run out of money, and it's not like there's a lot of lawyers who will work on this sort of case pro-bono. The Federal or State governments don't file these sort of lawsuits on behalf of individuals or small companies. Just because a major corporation does wrong doesn't mean they're automatically penalized for it; it costs money to make it happen.

That's why EA is in a unique position. They have the resources others don't. Now, if they were really altruistic about sticking up for the little guys they would have acted before this, but it would look weird. In this manner, they have an indisputable beef to go to court over. Further, the timing is great as far as I'm concerned. Zynga's leadership is bailing on the company, the stock is in the pits, they spent way more money than they should have acquiring competition and is getting little returns. It's a sinking ship.

• Options
    nk1337nk1337 Registered User new member
    Henroid wrote: »

That's why EA is in a unique position. They have the resources others don't. Now, if they were really altruistic about sticking up for the little guys they would have acted before this, but it would look weird. In this manner, they have an indisputable beef to go to court over. Further, the timing is great as far as I'm concerned. Zynga's leadership is bailing on the company, the stock is in the pits, they spent way more money than they should have acquiring competition and is getting little returns. It's a sinking ship.

Part of me has the strangest feeling that they don't really care so much about the "hard work" and "creativity" of its employees but they rather see this as a perfect opportunity to dip their hands in another branch of gaming. As it stands zygna is pretty much on it's last legs, and this lawsuit could really hurt them financially. Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up with EA suddenly purchasing a zygna and adding another business to their giant video game conglomerate.

• Options
    What creative assets would Zynga bring? The company is creatively bankrupt. It's so funny their defensive statement to the EA lawsuit announcement makes claims about innovation. The only thing they innovated was a business model on Facebook. Nobody has to buy them out to take advantage of that. They just need to produce better content.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    EA won't be purchasing Zynga any time soon, and Zynga is not on it's 'Last Legs'.

If their numbers keep going down like they are for a few more quarters, then I'd start worrying about them.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    I never knew that Kitty Pryde worked at Zynga.

• Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    EA won't be purchasing Zynga any time soon, and Zynga is not on it's 'Last Legs'.

If their numbers keep going down like they are for a few more quarters, then I'd start worrying about them.

That's fair enough, but everything about Zynga happens in fast forward. I made the comparison to when you watch those videos of a flower growing and blossoming, watching the day night cycle happen multiple times in a few seconds. That's Zynga. They built up fast and have run into trouble just as fast.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It's so mind-boggling that they're even considering counter-suing.

They're like a schoolyard bully who has honed their game picking on really weak kids, and then decides to try and take on the goddamn gym teacher, because that seems like a great idea.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    'Doing it for the little guy' is clearly corporate PR spin, they're in it for their own reasons and no more. It doesn't change the fact that if they do stick through and get a judgement rather than a settlement it will massively help the little guy.

Also copyright law is balls crazy at times so I wouldn't in any way assume it's a cast iron certain thing they'd win, no matter how blatant the copying goes. They haven't actually stolen the raw code so a judge might feel that their minor changes are enough to get away with it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

It's not the first time you'd be cheering for EA. They counter-suited against Tim Langdell, a famous patent troll, and won. The court stripped his goddamn "EDGE" patent / copyright bullshit.

I actually didn't hear about that one. D:

Copyright crap always makes me cranky. Everything from this stuff that today's comic is about to that stuff that this dude said was his.

There is no such thing as a good story where copyrights are concerned.

They're gathered like wolves on the boardwalk below, howling for answers no wolves can know!
  • Options
    It's not quite "Chinese company directly draws over Torchlight" levels of copying, but goddamn is it close. The industry thread had some sample shots of EA's Facebook app and Zynga's copy of it.

• Options
    'Doing it for the little guy' is clearly corporate PR spin, they're in it for their own reasons and no more. It doesn't change the fact that if they do stick through and get a judgement rather than a settlement it will massively help the little guy.

I think they know how many eyes are on this case. I can't imagine, with their (relatively) recent attempts to woo the indie scene, that they are entirely opposed to helping out the little guys from time to time.

• Options
    Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    Doggy's expression in panel 2 is amazing.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

Also copyright law is balls crazy at times so I wouldn't in any way assume it's a cast iron certain thing they'd win, no matter how blatant the copying goes. They haven't actually stolen the raw code so a judge might feel that their minor changes are enough to get away with it.

They did, however, poach mid level EA execs before making their Sims rip-off. that's the thing that's going to kill them at trial.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    Clearly a rip off, but the whole video game industry is built on stealing and, ideally(Though probably no in this case), refining ideas from each other. That's how games get better. That's how entire genres are made.

Suing for anything less than someone trying to pull a 'Jay's potato chips'(With a cursive J that looks like a L) is kind of a dick move and sets a bad precedent.

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    Jortalus wrote: »

Probably not. Zynga doesn't have their own ideas...ever, really. I feel like EA had a copyright on most of the functions of their games long before Zynga came out with the copycat versions.

While true about the desktop versions of SimCity....

How does that relate to the Facebook version?

Because I've played both CityVille and SimCity Social and they play exactly the same. With neither one playing anything at all like SimCity 1-4.

• Options
    Clearly a rip off, but the whole video game industry is built on stealing and, ideally(Though probably no in this case), refining ideas from each other. That's how games get better. That's how entire genres are made.

Suing for anything less than someone trying to pull a 'Jay's potato chips'(With a cursive J that looks like a L) is kind of a dick move and sets a bad precedent.

There's the false "stealing" people claim when a genre or theme is pursued, and then there's the kind where a game was just copied at all points. I don't begrudge Activision and EA having their FPS war games because they at least bring their own takes on things. It may be boring, but they certainly don't copy level design to the brick.

• Options

That's fair enough, but everything about Zynga happens in fast forward. I made the comparison to when you watch those videos of a flower growing and blossoming, watching the day night cycle happen multiple times in a few seconds. That's Zynga. They built up fast and have run into trouble just as fast.

True. But we should keep in mind that just because people hate the business model, doesn't mean it's about to fail.

As much as people hate them, Zynga games make money. Someone is playing them. A lot of someones. And most of their users apparently don't care, they just play the game with the best production values. Even when they do make original games, those games don't seem to do as well. (That could just be the slow burnout of the Facebook market, though). For some reason, people want the giant -ville games. That market by no means a given of course, and if Zynga, (or any other Facebook game company), takes it for granted, it will end badly for them.

Also, not to conflate the two, but it amuses the hell out of me that Adventure World, which Zynga made and was pretty good, (and naturally didn't do nearly as well as the giant -ville games), was clearly a major inspiration for Outernauts (AW+Space Pokemon), which was in the comic the other week.

• Options

True. But we should keep in mind that just because people hate the business model, doesn't mean it's about to fail.

As much as people hate them, Zynga games make money. Someone is playing them. A lot of someones. And most of their users apparently don't care, they just play the game with the best production values. Even when they do make original games, those games don't seem to do as well. (That could just be the slow burnout of the Facebook market, though). For some reason, people want the giant -ville games. That market by no means a given of course, and if Zynga, (or any other Facebook game company), takes it for granted, it will end badly for them.

Also, not to conflate the two, but it amuses the hell out of me that Adventure World, which Zynga made and was pretty good, (and naturally didn't do nearly as well as the giant -ville games), was clearly a major inspiration for Outernauts (AW+Space Pokemon), which was in the comic the other week.

Well see, something that's happened with Zynga despite it's "growth" (this is something cloudeagle has been able to point out) is that the user base hasn't grown as the same rate as product offerings. The consumer base is spreading thin over their catalog, rather than making multiple investments. And it's not helping to draw in as many people. They make money, I won't deny that, but it's progressively less money as time goes on.

• Options
    Is it just me, or would today's comic greatly benefit from having a professional voice-over? I can already hear the vizier's voice in my mind. And Lord Zyngis definitely has a thick, rough, Brooklyn (or Boston?) accent.

• Options

Well see, something that's happened with Zynga despite it's "growth" (this is something cloudeagle has been able to point out) is that the user base hasn't grown as the same rate as product offerings. The consumer base is spreading thin over their catalog, rather than making multiple investments. And it's not helping to draw in as many people. They make money, I won't deny that, but it's progressively less money as time goes on.

Right. And they need to figure out how to deal with that, or they WILL be in trouble. But this lawsuit isn't going to be the thing that takes them down. It will keep their stock price low, though.