As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] of Olympic Tat

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    sometimes i wake up in the morning and then just go run a thousand miles

*punches Gooey in the goo*

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Does Gooey literally have goo, or is it more metaphorical?

• Options
    Fox News on an athlete getting Iran's first gold medal: "IT'S IN THE BAGHDAD."

It's funny because all brown people are the same.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    he has a user interface, and it is graphical.

He is a touch screen, basically. Go ahead and three-finger swipe him.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    he has a user interface, and it is graphical.

He is a touch screen, basically. Go ahead and three-finger swipe him.

:winky:

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Cables are too manly for me. Much too manly. One day though. One day I'll be the guy with enormous tits doing terrible things to himself in the frame.

I effing love cables. My chest is the one muscle that I've gotten noticable, consistent growth/ripping in over the past six months. The only drawback is that bench is where you gain the most mass across your chest, hands down. And bench is too technical and far too miserably discourging without a buddy.

• Options

I don't see that but I did see - WTF - America taxes our athletes for their winnings after they bring home the gold. NO! Winners should not be taxed! They have brought glory to the nation.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2012/08/06/obama-backs-push-make-olympic-medal-prizes-tax-free/?test=latestnews

• Options
    The cash prize is income.

Though I guess I don't care if we make yet another exception to the tax code.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Cables are too manly for me. Much too manly. One day though. One day I'll be the guy with enormous tits doing terrible things to himself in the frame.

I effing love cables. My chest is the one muscle that I've gotten noticable, consistent growth/ripping in over the past six months. The only drawback is that bench is where you gain the most mass across your chest, hands down. And bench is too technical and far too miserably discourging without a buddy.

Uh what? Use less weight. Bench is a pretty good staple exercise.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I don't see that but I did see - WTF - America taxes our athletes for their winnings after they bring home the gold. NO! Winners should not be taxed! They have brought glory to the nation.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2012/08/06/obama-backs-push-make-olympic-medal-prizes-tax-free/?test=latestnews

The Brits look at this in puzzlement. Our athletes don't get cash for winning medals; some of them get a stamp and the glory of having won.

(but yes, the US tax thing where you essentially get taxed twice is ridiculous).

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Fuck Yodel.

Think I'm done with Amazon. Cannot deal with Yodel anymore.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

yeah but i understand, it gets kind of tough when you get to near your limit (which is the only way you're going to progress) if you don't have a spotter

it's hard to really really push yourself

but

you can usually just ask someone in the gym

poo
  • Options
    Fuck Yodel.

What is this yodel?

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

I can't wait until I can bench again. I hit my max in 10th grade and because of shoulder problems haven't come within a mile of it since

Bench and squats are the fun

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Well your athletes have to win some medals before they can be taxed for them cesca.

• Options
    Fuck Yodel.

What is this yodel?

Perhaps the worst parcel delivery company ever. And Amazon use them. And you can't specify that you'd rather have Royal mail deliver (even if it means you have to wait longer).

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    real men only do kettlebells and battle ropes

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »

The Brits look at this in puzzlement. Our athletes don't get cash for winning medals; some of them get a stamp and the glory of having won.

(but yes, the US tax thing where you essentially get taxed twice is ridiculous).

Taxed twice how?

I only ask because "But double taxation!" is bandied about as an argument against Estate Tax by people who conveniently ignore that we already have multiple taxes on income, property, sales, etc.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

yeah but i understand, it gets kind of tough when you get to near your limit (which is the only way you're going to progress) if you don't have a spotter

it's hard to really really push yourself

but

you can usually just ask someone in the gym

But which is tougher

Lifting the heavy barbell alone or overcoming the crippling social anxiety to ask someone for a spot

It's a dilemma

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    good christ I need to remember my headphones when I come to lab

my labmate gets here first and plunks on NPR's talk show stream

I am beginning to turn into a conservative- I hear the talk shows going and just groaaan

I can't concentrate with someone constantly talking

also listening to NPR talk shows is like having someone read facebook statuses at you

• Options

Lots of countries give various awards and privileges for Olympic medals.

How are they being taxed twice here? I assume this just counts as income and a normal income tax is applied.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Fuck Yodel.

What is this yodel?

Perhaps the worst parcel delivery company ever. And Amazon use them. And you can't specify that you'd rather have Royal mail deliver (even if it means you have to wait longer).

Lame, we've got lazership or some such garbage over here that Amazon uses on occasion and usually sucks.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

I get up every morning, go to work and pay taxes. Why should the horse dressage jockey earn tax free?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I guess what Im saying is fuck the olympics.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    TL DR wrote: »

Taxed twice how?

I only ask because "But double taxation!" is bandied about as an argument against Estate Tax by people who conveniently ignore that we already have multiple taxes on income, property, sales, etc.

It's the "worldwide" tax thing, and I'm gonna explain this wrong, but even if people get taxed on their income in the country they earn it, they also get taxed in the US. This is how I understand it, anyway.

(EDIT: of course, this doesn't count for the Olympics people 'cos they're not getting taxed on the money in the UK or anything, but I know there's a feeling that paying tax on earnings when it's from the Olympics is bad. I don't really agree but, meh).

BobCesca on
  • Options
    Fuck Yodel.

What is this yodel?

Ohhhh

I forgot you are in a foreign land.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I can see cutting them a break if it's something like, we tax them based on the value of the medal if they were still actually made out of gold or whatever, but if it's out of a cash prize the Olympic committee pays them, whatevs.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    I also agree that American athletes at the Olympics should wear uniforms that are made in America, not China.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

You fucking communist.

• Options
    heh arch

(on a serious note headphones are how i get 90% of my work done)

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    nobody gets to the olympics without the gubmint's help anyway

uncle sam deserves a cut

• Options

REPORT TO YOUR FRIENDLY LOCAL REEDUCATION CAMP OR BE SENTENCED TO HARD LABOR, CITIZEN.

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Besides, there is. rule that the Queen gets first dibs on all medals won by her subjects, whether living under a rebel or loyalist regime

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

You fucking communist.

dey terk er jerbs!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    heh arch

(on a serious note headphones are how i get 90% of my work done)

I don't know where they are

I have three pairs and they are all missing

oh god Diane Rehm's vooooooice

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Olympics suck since the advent of full time athletes.

• Options
    YO ARE PEOPLE HATING ON THE OLYMPICS?

I will fight all of you

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    TehSloth wrote: »
    Fuck Yodel.

What is this yodel?

Lame, we've got lazership or some such garbage over here that Amazon uses on occasion and usually sucks.

Lazership decided that hidden under my patio furniture with no notice of delivery in the middle of winter was good enough.

If found the package 4 days later while coming in through my porch after grocery shopping.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.