As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat] of Olympic Tat

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Interesting thought from Charlie Stross.
    We're now well into the age of biometric monitoring, and this is raising huge obstacles in the face of traditional spycraft; if your spy travels on a biometric passport, then simply replacing their passport with a new one won't hide their identity from the border authorities of the nation they're visiting. Indeed, the zealous attempts of anti-terrorist security agencies to make it difficult or impossible to disguise your identity may cause extensive blowback on HUMINT operations by their governments' intelligence agencies. What does it imply about the future of espionage if a given agent can only operate in a given target nation under one identity?

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    The BBC ran an article the other day suggesting that US olympians don't get financial support from their federations, and instead rely on commercial sponsorship.

Kind of. The U.S. Olympic Committee is funded by commercial sponsorships and TV rights sales. And they give out the various bits of funding for some of the sports. Like Gymnastics. They don't cover all sports with funding however. However they do pay the expenses for all of the athletes who are actually part of the games.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    People who hate Ira Glass hate America.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    spool32 wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    nobody gets to the olympics without the gubmint's help anyway

uncle sam deserves a cut

There are a lot of talented, successful athletes who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn't -- look, if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own. You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so fit. There are a lot of fit people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great trainer somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you've got a gold medal -- you didn't earn that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the athletes could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don't do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

the thing that irked me about this speech wasn't the "you didn't build that" as much as the "Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

that isn't why the internet was created at all!!

Whoa whoa hold on. When I took issue with that in the President thread I was history's worst fucking monster. Also every mook with a wikipedia tab open was suddenly Mister Internet History Major, talking to me like I thought gopher was an animal.

that is because i have descretely pushed off the mantle of "token conservative, act like an asshole to me" to you

i am now "that guy who i disagree with most of what he says, but can't figure out why"

We need a new conservative regular around here. I need to get in on this liberal ambivalence shit you've worked out.

Not to dig up old history, but there are a few things wrong with the recollection of events in here.

*eyes narrow*

Carry on.

Nobody with a Toby avatar can be all that conservative!

I bet you don't even prefer the status quo vs. change for the sake of changing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgrcotUpbww&feature=player_embedded#t=10s

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    who is ira glass

919UOwT.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure I'm a misanthrope

I'm a misanthrolope.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The BBC ran an article the other day suggesting that US olympians don't get financial support from their federations, and instead rely on commercial sponsorship.

This is pretty much true. We don't have any assistance outside of having some training facilities for most of our Olympic sports. There also are rarely organized groups supporting them. This is why Colbert put in the money helped make sure we had a speed skating team in '10 winter olympics and such.

It makes you wonder how many potential medallists there are in the US that just never get the opportunity.

I remember Mark Cavendish saying the thing that kept him in cycling was that UK Sport paid him a salary for two years to train and compete. Otherwise he'd be a bank manager right now.

There was a US archer last time who seriously struggled to get to the trials because airfare. I'm not sure if the person was even able to make Beijing.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

I'm a misanthrolope.

misantrollololololope

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

poo
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I'm a misanthrolope.

Why did I crack up at this

Why is it so funny

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Interesting thought from Charlie Stross.
    We're now well into the age of biometric monitoring, and this is raising huge obstacles in the face of traditional spycraft; if your spy travels on a biometric passport, then simply replacing their passport with a new one won't hide their identity from the border authorities of the nation they're visiting. Indeed, the zealous attempts of anti-terrorist security agencies to make it difficult or impossible to disguise your identity may cause extensive blowback on HUMINT operations by their governments' intelligence agencies. What does it imply about the future of espionage if a given agent can only operate in a given target nation under one identity?

Cross the border without going through border control with fake papers indicating you're a native?

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Ira Glass is an Atheist
    Therefore he hates God
    Therefore he hates America

So I am not unAmerican. I am a PATRIOT.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular

I'm a misanthrolope.

I hate antelopes too.

Always running across the plains like "Look at me! I'm an antelope! I enjoy NPR podcasts!"

May a lioness devour them all.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    so I love this I believe

and there was a time when this american life did this I used to believe

and ira glass talks about how he doesn't really believe anything

start at 5:30 ish to like 8:15 (but you don't have to listen to all that to get the gist)

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/378/this-i-used-to-believe?act=0#play

it is so good

I think I feel a lot like this

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    also the this american life tv series was fucking gold

skippydumptruck on
    who is ira glass

Frontman for Yo La Tengo.

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Deebaser wrote: »
    It really is jarring going to freerepublic and seeing the general sentiment that Sikhs are super cool.

I guess because both groups really hate "Mooslems"

The BNP /hard right groups in the UK love the Sikh too.

Edit - what a bad post to accidentally discover the soft keyboard on the Nexus 7 has a smiley key

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Verizon Enterprise Center is making me rage today. I have like 5 request dammit, why won't you just work?!

Bless your heart.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    The gymnastics pommel horse event is basically breakdancing.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    What is the NPR show with the old guy with the great voice who reads books and stuff?

That is the best show.

Strangely.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I will also be fixing my house when I buy it. I'm handy because my dad apparently was trained by the air force on how to build houses or something.

I could fix pretty much everything but electrical if I needed to. Though I'd rather attempt electrical than plumbing. Fuck plumbing.

Electrical scares the ever loving piss out of me.
    You're basically tooling around with magic murder death wires.

I've changed two light switches in my life and felt the need to update my will before each one.

Electricity is nothing to ever be afraid of - just know that it travels downward all the time, turn off the breakers on the circuits you are working on, and know the different between your hot, your ground and your neutral.

That said, whenever doing anything trickier than a can light or a wall outlet, best have an electrician do it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited August 2012
    also the this american life tv series was fucking gold

was it anything like american pickers

cause i love american pickers

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    I you believe in nothing you'll fall for anything.

Have a gallon of gullibility with your hubris, skippy. Hope it keeps you cool in hell.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Ira glass is your real dad. He is the reason you'll never get married. Ira glass is john galt.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    The NPR live music podcasts are pretty great too. There's still a giant backlog of them scattered all over the site.

B
    The gymnastics pommel horse event is basically breakdancing.

Breakin' 3: Olympic Boondoggle

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Re: last page, more conservaposters, ambivalence

I would like to stress that even if we did get more conservative posters, Goobert and Spoolio would be grandfathered in as my favorite conservatives

Like I would be ready to dismiss the politics of the other posters but if either one showed up they'd flash an all-black Executive Membership card and I'd whisk them to the front of the line to get lectured about how Taxes Are Patriotism and Reagan Was Stupid ahead of everyone else

Membership has its motherfucking privileges

@spool32 @gooey

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    GUI it is time to start training for when FILTHY BASS DROPS become Olympic event!

As you trainer, I will have you up at CRACK OF NOON to drink eggs and carry heavy wubs until you want to die! You will bring GREAT HONOR to your family and country!

Let's play "Ludious Psychically Guesses Details about News Stories Only from the Headlines!!!""

Lightning kills 1 outside of NASCAR Rally.

Prediction: Bet he wasn't black.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    yawn.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Saw Total Recall.

I was hit with no less than 10 dubstep moments between the trailers, commercials and the movie itself.

dubstep is taking over, and I am shaking my stick at it.

I am an old.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    TL DR wrote: »
    GUI it is time to start training for when FILTHY BASS DROPS become Olympic event!

As you trainer, I will have you up at CRACK OF NOON to drink eggs and carry heavy wubs until you want to die! You will bring GREAT HONOR to your family and country!

this is basically the best post that has ever been made

919UOwT.png
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Saw Total Recall.

I was hit with no less than 10 dubstep moments between the trailers, commercials and the movie itself.

dubstep is taking over, and I am shaking my stick at it.

I am an old.

I'm just glad it's become so pop that there's finally a sizable backlash being generated among the scenes I frequent

desc wrote: »
    Re: last page, more conservaposters, ambivalence

I would like to stress that even if we did get more conservative posters, Goobert and Spoolio would be grandfathered in as my favorite conservatives

Like I would be ready to dismiss the politics of the other posters but if either one showed up they'd flash an all-black Executive Membership card and I'd whisk them to the front of the line to get lectured about how Taxes Are Patriotism and Reagan Was Stupid ahead of everyone else

Membership has its motherfucking privileges

@spool32 @gooey

dap dis desc

/dap

919UOwT.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Bench pressing an iron bar with a subwoofer attached on each end

"THESE ARE ONLY 8s. YOU WANT THE GOLD YOU'D BETTER BE PRESSING PORTED 15s."

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Let's play "Ludious Psychically Guesses Details about News Stories Only from the Headlines!!!""

Lightning kills 1 outside of NASCAR Rally.

Prediction: Bet he wasn't black.

I can play this game too.

Prediction: I bet he wasn't a meteorologist.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    what a weird-as-fuck day.

work was lame because i had to spend most of the day in the warehouse which is not climate controlled. moving around pallets of computers and stripping out the RAM, HDD's, optical drives, sound cards (yes, that old) and cmos batteries. it was pretty tiring and also there was so much dust from these ancient computers that it was like, coagulating my sweat. i had gross, booger-like chunks and strands of dust all over my arms and even my neck. fucking nasty shit. o well. life's a bitch.

on the way home there was a very cute girl and she sat in the corner seat in the back- you know, where you have to side step out because there are other chairs in front of your legs? and she sits down and this teenager sits next to her. and he starts flirting with her in a slurred voice, and she's answering politely (but very obviously disinterested). it becomes apparent to me very quickly that this dude is high as fuck on benzos. he has a bunch of soft pretzel bites with nacho cheese and he keeps nodding off and dropping them. at one point he starts licking the lid slowly, his tongue lolling out while he tries to stay upright. soon he starts slouching as he nods off. the girl looks p uncomfortable, so i look at her and give her a little thumbs up with an inquisitive face and she smiles and nods that she's fine. finally i stood up and said "are you ok? can i help?" and she kind of glanced over at him and said no, i'm ok. and i knew part of it was she didn't want to escalate things by changing seats because as high as he was this dude was ghetto as fuck. i stuck around for a couple more blocks, got one last thumbs up from her and then got off the bus.

i don't make a habit of beating up drug addicts but sometimes it's tempting.

Organichu on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I don't see why people hate dubstep so much.

rio 2016:

dsc/gui wins gold in filthy bass drop doubles

useless sports like diving replaced with bass exploding

neon sunglasses required for event entrance

opening ceremony bass drops crack earth in half

919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.