As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this a good HDTV?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm looking for a decent HDTV priced at, under, around, above, beside, or somewhat near $1000.

This is for my bedroom. I'm looking for something that's about 50". Initially I was going with 42" but some girl I was hanging out with recently told me that bigger and wider is better so I'd like to impress her with more inches in her face.

And my face.

So, this is what I'm looking at right now: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P50UT50

It's a 50" VIERA Panasonic 3DTV.

I'm mainly looking to use this TV for these three hobbies, in descending order:

1) Video gaming in 2D and 3D (sparingly for the latter)
2) Movie watching in 2D and 3D (again sparingly on the 3D)
3) TV watching (which I rarely, if ever, do)

So mostly, this is for me to play PS3 and (when I replace my broken one) Xbox 360 games on something other than my 24" LCD PC monitor that I currently share between my PC and PS3.

Thoughts?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Yes, that is a good tv.

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Some random thoughts:

1) This thread is supposedly there for finding good tv's. I haven't been in a while, but the OP seemed good last I checked, and it's always nice to see what other intelligent people end up buying.

2) Panasonic tends to have the best plasmas. That doesn't mean that this one is the best, but it's definitely a name brand.

3) I think it's still the case that plasma screens have a bit of a glare problem. So investing in some dark curtains (if your room has windows) is a good idea.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Ya Drez, I'm sure the guys in the TV thread will help you out. I have a 60 inch PT-ST50, and I love it (check out my posts in that thread, I think I'm one of the more recent buyers). I can't speak for the UT50 line as I've never seen it, but I would assume that it's nearly as good.