As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Digital Comics] Funny Books On Your Phones and Tablets! Check OP For Retailers

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Man, you know what? DC and Marvel really ought to lower the per issue price to .99 for any comic that's at least thirty or forty years old. Because seriously, why not?

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'd be buying a shitload more comics if they were .99. That's such an impulse price that I would barely think twice with loading up a cart and clicking buy.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Yeah I already spent over $150 last month on Comixology and it was only on .99 sale stuff. Also I was a newcomer to digital comic world.

So bring on the sales!

steam_sig.png
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Relevant! ( sort of)
    808.2.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I hadn't bought a comic book since 1999 or 2000 before ComiXology got me back into them last year. I experienced price shock when I first saw the newest X-Men and Batman issues were $4 each. If it weren't for the .99 sales I probably would have said "fuck this", deleted the app, and never given it another look.

steam_sig.png
    This week in free comics from Marvel:

Thor: The Mighty Avenger #1
    Silver Surfer #1
    Runaways #1

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I almost want to say don't read Runaways. Its too amazing to turn so awful, just to turn again into not existing.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    just read the vaughan run and ignore everything else

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Aw bummer, I thought it was volume 1 of USM and got excited for a second. Passed over the recent sales but could have easily thrown $6 down on it.

steam_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    It's finally happened to me.

I literally bought all 18 of those issues last weekend.

Fuckity fuck fuck.

Oh hey, I guess the comixology app/account now syncs with the marvel app/account and you don't have to email anyone about it. It also works both ways, so marvel titles you buy on comixology can now show up on the marvel side.

Not really a huge deal overall but it's about time they did it.

I'm still going to keep the two different apps on my tablet though, just because it's easier to find Marvel's free titles every week on the Marvel app than it is on the Comixology app.

Yeah I do the same. It's just nice to know that it's linked now and you don't have to jump through too many hoops.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I'm still going to keep the two different apps on my tablet though, just because it's easier to find Marvel's free titles every week on the Marvel app than it is on the Comixology app.
    You can also use their store to check out the free stuff easier http://comicstore.marvel.com/free-comics

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    So Marvel's having an Astonishing Sale this Friday

Jason Aaron and Adam Kubert's Astonishing X-Men and Wolverine
    Rob Rodi and Mike Choi's Astonishing Thor
    and Warren Ellis and Kaare Andrews' Astonishing X-Men: Xenogenesis

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Antimatter wrote: »
    just read the vaughan run and ignore everything else

eh, Whedon's run is solid and the Civil War Runaways/Young Avengers minseries is pretty fun

but yeah don't go past those

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The Moore run tried something different

The Immonen run is never to be mentioned again, under penalty of torture

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    X-Men sale that I swear was just done a month ago.

But that's not the news worthy item. ComiXology finally added a wishlist feature!

steam_sig.png
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Wow, 99¢ for some Austen & Milligan X-Men.

That's still about 98¢ too much.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    they should add the Lobdell era and later day Claremont just to complete the shitpile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Axel oughta find whoever had the idea to put Austen comics on sale to the general public and slap them upside the head

Free marvel stuff this week:

Daredevil #1 (Kevin Smith)
    Captain America Corps #1
    Deadpool vol.2 #1 (Joe Kelly)

edited August 2012
    Wolverine sale for Marvel Friday. Totally getting Old Man Logan.

OML was pretty standalone, right? I don't need to know anything about Civil War or whatever, kind of like how you needed to know what happened in Legion Quest to understand why AoA happened?

EDIT: Oh crap, they snuck in a Nightwing 101 sale just after I purchased OML. Not seeing anything I feel totally compelled to buy, but admittedly I don't really know much about the titles that are part of the sale.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    As far as I could tell when I read it, Old Man Logan doesn't directly reference any other stories. It's completely standalone.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    As far as I could tell when I read it, Old Man Logan doesn't directly reference any other stories. It's completely standalone.

It actually connects a bit to Millar's 1985 book and his FF run through the Marquis of Death Villain, but you definitely don't need to read either of those - they are just some cool little easter egg moments if you have.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    The Jason Aaron run is good right?

Jason Aaron on Wolverine? It's fantastic.

noir_blood wrote: »

Very good indeed.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular

Start with Wolverine: Weapon X. It was the Wolverine series Aaron wrote before taking over regular Wolverine, and I found it to be his best arcs. It had 15 issues or so before it was relaunched/renumbered as adjectiveless Wolverine.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I have the Wolverine by Jason Aaron Omnibus Volume One

Hoping a Volume Two comes out soon

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    I have the Wolverine by Jason Aaron Omnibus Volume One

Hoping a Volume Two comes out soon

Hmm, what's left is Wolverine 1-20, 300-304. That's enough for a second omnibus.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Hensler wrote: »

Start with Wolverine: Weapon X. It was the Wolverine series Aaron wrote before taking over regular Wolverine, and I found it to be his best arcs. It had 15 issues or so before it was relaunched/renumbered as adjectiveless Wolverine.

Actually before the weapon x series he did the excellent "Get Mystique" arc in issues #62-65 of vol. 3, and a kickass mini called Wolverine: Manifest Destiny, both of which get paid off in his run on vol. 4

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    and all of which is included in the Wolverine by Jason Aaron Vol. 1 omnibus

it's a pretty rad deal, off of Amazon 68 bucks for a big hardcover of 25 issues plus extra material from other issues/series

CYpGAPn.png
    and if you're ever assaulted in your home you can beat your attacker to death with it.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Iron Fist omnibus I have is big enough to brain someone with and it is like 18 issues, I think

CYpGAPn.png
    Maximum wrote: »
    and if you're ever assaulted in your home you can beat your attacker to death with it.

my uncanny x-men omnibus is way bigger

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have the Simonson Thor and McFarlane Spidey ones.

I just sit there on the edge of my bed power lifting those suckers.

If I ever win the lotto or have an absurd amount of money to spare, I would forgo my "digital only except for very specific exceptions" rule and spend all my days tracking down a complete collection of the Marvel omni's. But I can't even afford one of them during a normal month, so I don't own any of them.

If I didn't have the first 3 AoA trades I'd seriously consider getting that one, though. Skipping a bunch of meals for a month wouldn't be so bad, I could do with losing a couple more lbs anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I think Secret Warriors is the biggest of my omnibi

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb