As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Another [Final Fantasy] Thread is done before FF XIII Versus

• Options
    SandarkenSandarken EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Shen wrote: »

It totally does, it has towns and stuff too. Honestly it does a very good job of letting you roam around and poke into corners for stuff, take massive detours and whatnot. Interestingly though, in order to facilitate this it seems that they had to give up on always visible enemies, with random encounters being back.

The simple, often narrow corridors of 13 probably made it much easier to place enemies and make them challenging to avoid, providing the developers with a good idea of how powerful players would be by the next boss without making them too easy.

I always thought Grandia 2 did a pretty good job with the enemies that actually appear while walking around and keeping the environments nice and open... I know it's completely off topic but I would love to see a new entry into that series. The last one Europe got was 2 (I think), and it was awesome :)

But yeah, I may have to check out "FFXIII-2 revelations-resurrected-the return" as soon as I finish the other million games I'm currently playing/want to play >_< Although I know they're doing "FFXIII-3 The final insult" as well now, or is that still a rumor?

Sandarken on
    Videogamephibian - Currently playing: Pretty much everything
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I don't know it's kinda a spoilerish but just in case...
    ...it was a blatantly stated with that ending.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    ...Right. I had forgotten how much I absolutely hate the fight against Rapps in Wutai in FFVII.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    Hey gang, I was just sent a goofy refund notice from Square about the FFVII PC port

I guess they've been getting slammed with refund requests?

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I still feel so weird about VII PC, since that was the copy I originally had, as well as my first Final Fantasy game. The superimposed models on FMVs, the off music, all that junk is normal to me. Finally playing the PS1 version last year was a bit of an eye opener. I can't say I don't miss the cleaner looking resolution still.

My favorite part about the PC version back when young me first got it was being able to just load up the cutscenes like a regular video file. Being able to pull up the highest of high tech graphics (as far as I knew) like that at any given time was amazing.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Finished getting my job crystals for FFV. Blue mage, mystic knight, beastmaster, and samurai. On to world 2!

FFV was such a rad game. Loved the Job system.

What's your endgame plan in regards to jobs/abilities?

I'm doing the Job Fiesta, so it'll involve my 4 characters each using one of those 4 classes. My only real plan is "get as much blue magic as I can and hope for the best." I should be able to make it through the game pretty easily just off that (and maybe some gil throw if necessary).

Lucky. With a Beastmaster and Blue Mage, you can get Mighty Guard, which is ridiculously good. Plus, with Lv 5 death, you can master those jobs pretty quickly.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Wow, just finished up the Fanatics Tower. That was brutal. I was not fully prepared for that climb. Managed somehow but damn did I burn through a lot of items.

The worse part was defeating the white dragon and the boss...only to learn I had to walk back down the tower.

Fucking hell.

I'm trying to finish up what seems to be the last little bit of side missions, etc before the end of the game. Can't wait to beat it this week.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Fanatics Tower is the single hardest point in FF VI and there's no debate there. Sometimes I cheese it with Mog and I've cleared the game north of 50 times.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Fanatics Tower is the single hardest point in FF VI and there's no debate there. Sometimes I cheese it with Mog and I've cleared the game north of 50 times.

What about the dragon cave in the GBA version?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

What about the dragon cave in the GBA version?

Nah, it's no harder than the final dungeon. Bit of a maze to get around, but that's the only problem.

Fanatics Tower is entirely based on how up to date your magic is. That and the "surprise" at the end that nearly forces you to have Reraise. Going through it "legit" is a bitch. And that's even if you semi cheat and bring Umaro with you.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    There are groups in the fanatics tower that can wipe you even with good up to date spells. You need good preparation.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    I really like the Doublejump guides that Atlus did for P3/P4/Demon's Souls. Even if the P4 one had a lot of printing errors. They're the sort of games where having a handy table of fusion options is really helpful, and not easy for some dude on Gamefaqs to replicate.

Ironically, the biggest writer I know of for DoubleJump was hired because he wrote an insanely good Disgaea FAQ.

Unfortunately, even being as awesome as they are couldn't save them from the print industry's collapse. Checking now, they appear to be gone, although their website redirects to http://www.onionbat.com, which bounces you to a mirror of their old forums.

Edit: You can still buy some printed copies of their books, but they're print on demand and thus somewhat spendy.

I liked them up to the P4 guide, which was still pretty crappy as far as their guides go what with leaving out some bosses, but once they went digital only the guide quality TANKED and tanked hard and they really turned into a bunch of assholes. I was happy to see them go under by the end.

• Options
    Isn't the Fanatics' Tower super easy with a high Mag Def/Eva setup?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    ...Right. I had forgotten how much I absolutely hate the fight against Rapps in Wutai in FFVII.
    There's a reason the shop sells lv3 elemental attack items!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Most of the Fanatic Tower isn't too bad with wall rings. But then that boss... yeah that thing took forever to figure out how to clear back before the days of Gamefaqs.

• Options
    I just Life 3'ed that guy and Ultima'd him. It's funny because I remember my sister beating without Non Elemental Magic! It took her like an hour...and then the guy casts Ultima on her party. Controllers were thrown to say the least.

• Options
    So I just got my Theatrhythm and I can't play it yet because I have to wait for my 3DS XL but is this blasphemy in the rulebook correct? No Vivi?

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I wish SE would do something with Final Fantasy VI. I want to revisit that world so badly. Like, they still have to rebuild and repair the damage Kefka did, or perhaps a prequel focusing on the Empire with General Leo, Celes, Terra, and Kefka, or even a side game with Shadow during his robber days. I dunno, something...

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I wish SE would do something with Final Fantasy VI. I want to revisit that world so badly. Like, they still have to rebuild and repair the damage Kefka did, or perhaps a prequel focusing on the Empire with General Leo, Celes, Terra, and Kefka, or even a side game with Shadow during his robber days. I dunno, something...

I feel like mining the most widely beloved installment for spin offs is NOT the way to go about it. I dunno, I just feel it would take away from the original.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So I just got my Theatrhythm and I can't play it yet because I have to wait for my 3DS XL but is this blasphemy in the rulebook correct? No Vivi?

I'll just say... there are unlockable characters not mentioned in the manual :P By default all the characters you get are the main character of each respective game. But then you can unlock more by playing Dark Notes.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I'll just say... there are unlockable characters not mentioned in the manual :P By default all the characters you get are the main character of each respective game. But then you can unlock more by playing Dark Notes.

sawheeeet

• Options

I feel like mining the most widely beloved installment for spin offs is NOT the way to go about it. I dunno, I just feel it would take away from the original.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way but I still wouldn't mind seeing more from 6 and 9 both.

• Options
    Just picked up death claw... think that pretty much rounds out all the blue magic that I "need". I'd love to get level 3 flare if I can figure out a way, but I don't think there's any way I can get reflect on the monsters that cast it... perhaps some sort of catch/release option?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

If done well (which, given SE... LOL), it could work. Something like Fortuna Saga that fleshed out the year between WoB and WoR could be interesting. So long as it doesn't shoehorn in the main heroes, or add new and uninspired villains.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Hmm, I don't know about that. Most of the world history between WoB/WoR is fleshed out as you acquire characters. I'd probably like an enhanced remake of the game in the vein of FFIVDS, though.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Hmm, I don't know about that. Most of the world history between WoB/WoR is fleshed out as you acquire characters. I'd probably like an enhanced remake of the game in the vein of FFIVDS, though.

They did that tho on the GBA.

• Options
    FFIVDS, not FFIVGBA.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Not a true remake. I would love it if it got the FFIV DS treatment.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I really like the Doublejump guides that Atlus did for P3/P4/Demon's Souls. Even if the P4 one had a lot of printing errors. They're the sort of games where having a handy table of fusion options is really helpful, and not easy for some dude on Gamefaqs to replicate.

Ironically, the biggest writer I know of for DoubleJump was hired because he wrote an insanely good Disgaea FAQ.

Unfortunately, even being as awesome as they are couldn't save them from the print industry's collapse. Checking now, they appear to be gone, although their website redirects to http://www.onionbat.com, which bounces you to a mirror of their old forums.

Edit: You can still buy some printed copies of their books, but they're print on demand and thus somewhat spendy.

I liked them up to the P4 guide, which was still pretty crappy as far as their guides go what with leaving out some bosses, but once they went digital only the guide quality TANKED and tanked hard and they really turned into a bunch of assholes. I was happy to see them go under by the end.

Wait, what? What did they do that turned them into assholes?

• Options

Wait, what? What did they do that turned them into assholes?

Just an endless stream of shit headed behavior, mostly on their own forums.

• Options
    FFIVDS, not FFIVGBA.

I know, I mean the FFVI they did on the GBA was an enhanced version, added stuff, extra areas etc. I'd like it on the DS too, tho.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    FFIVDS was graphically redone in 3D. I personally like the old sprite art, I would just like an uncompromised mobile version of the SNES game with bug fixes. Extra stuff is nice but ultimately pointless to the game.

• Options
    Yeah I vote for not FFIVDS style, unless they can make the models not look like ass. FFVI has gorgeous sprite art, you don't really need to ruin that by turning them into ugly polygons.

What I'd like to see is a 3DS version that just takes the original and adds some nice 3d effects to like, the mode 7 stuff and other various aspects. Same sprite art, but make it pop a little. That would be pretty nice.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    They don't have to be ugly polygons. They could be pretty polygons. Like Dissidia-style. I really liked the versions of Terra and Kefka in Dissidia. I'd be happy with FFVI in that style, but it would be a huge undertaking and it will never happen.

• Options
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    FFIVDS was graphically redone in 3D. I personally like the old sprite art, I would just like an uncompromised mobile version of the SNES game with bug fixes. Extra stuff is nice but ultimately pointless to the game.

The version you want then is FF IV PSX which should be on the PSN and is playable on the PSP. No extra content outside of the regular non easy type stuff and a better translation. PAL GBA IV is next closest.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Square once again playing damage control, offering FFVII free for "early" buyers and promising the shitty build was pre-release.
    Hello,

We are aware that you attempted to purchase the PC version of FINAL FANTASY VII this weekend. Please understand that while the transaction was completed, you downloaded a pre-release build of the game that was unintentionally made available online during a brief window of internal live testing.

We wanted to notify you that we are currently in the process of sending you a full refund for your purchase. In addition, we will also be providing you with a version of FINAL FANTASY VII on PC free of charge when it launches. We’ll have more information to share with you regarding your refund and the upcoming relaunch shortly.

As this was a pre-release build of the game, we ask you to please uninstall the game immediately. You will need to make sure all existing files are uninstalled before you are able to download and install the final build of FINAL FANTASY VII in the very near future.

We apologize for causing any inconvenience or confusion during this process.

Thank you,
    The Square Enix Team

Let's hope that statement rings true, because holy shit how do you mess up something like this?

Actually, they already have messed up. Even if the actual PC port ends up solid, they've once again had their goodwill impacted by just plain being terrible at everything lately.

I'm more interested in Sleeping Dogs then anything they've got related to FF lined up this year.

That isn't right.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Well I think I cleaned up most of the side quests, extra stuff for FFVI.

Gonna grab lunch and then attack Kefka's Tower.

Anyone have any last minute advice for me?

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Square once again playing damage control, offering FFVII free for "early" buyers and promising the shitty build was pre-release.
    Hello,

We are aware that you attempted to purchase the PC version of FINAL FANTASY VII this weekend. Please understand that while the transaction was completed, you downloaded a pre-release build of the game that was unintentionally made available online during a brief window of internal live testing.

We wanted to notify you that we are currently in the process of sending you a full refund for your purchase. In addition, we will also be providing you with a version of FINAL FANTASY VII on PC free of charge when it launches. We’ll have more information to share with you regarding your refund and the upcoming relaunch shortly.

As this was a pre-release build of the game, we ask you to please uninstall the game immediately. You will need to make sure all existing files are uninstalled before you are able to download and install the final build of FINAL FANTASY VII in the very near future.

We apologize for causing any inconvenience or confusion during this process.

Thank you,
    The Square Enix Team

Let's hope that statement rings true, because holy shit how do you mess up something like this?

Actually, they already have messed up. Even if the actual PC port ends up solid, they've once again had their goodwill impacted by just plain being terrible at everything lately.

I'm more interested in Sleeping Dogs then anything they've got related to FF lined up this year.

That isn't right.

Oh noes, a minor inconvenience in exchange for a refund and a free copy of the game at launch, what a height of corporate douchebaggery. ;-)

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    Well I think I cleaned up most of the side quests, extra stuff for FFVI.

Gonna grab lunch and then attack Kefka's Tower.

Anyone have any last minute advice for me?

You got all 14 characters in tow? Also, are they more or less equal in level to each other? Because the final dungeon is bringing back that whole multi party mechanic they used in Narshe and the Phoenix cave. So you can get away with some stragglers here and there, but you're gonna want 3 self sufficient parties more or less.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hmm, pre-release version? Wonder if they'll make any improvements after all. God I hope so (but honestly doubt it)

Warlock82 on