As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Another [Final Fantasy] Thread is done before FF XIII Versus

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    Well I think I cleaned up most of the side quests, extra stuff for FFVI.

Gonna grab lunch and then attack Kefka's Tower.

Anyone have any last minute advice for me?

Which version are you playing? If Advance, do you have Gilgamesh/Leviathan/Cactuar yet?

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Hmm, pre-release version? Wonder if they'll make any improvements after all. God I hope so (but honestly doubt it)

Patching in the old music.

steam_sig.png
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular

You got all 14 characters in tow? Also, are they more or less equal in level to each other? Because the final dungeon is bringing back that whole multi party mechanic they used in Narshe and the Phoenix cave. So you can get away with some stragglers here and there, but you're gonna want 3 self sufficient parties more or less.

Oh shit, that's good to know. I have definitely neglected a good portion of my other teammates.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick

Which version are you playing? If Advance, do you have Gilgamesh/Leviathan/Cactuar yet?

I'm playing the Snes version on the Wii.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Do you have 12 decent party members? Just balance out the teams; make sure you have at least a capable magic user in each and you'll be fine.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Do you have 12 decent party members? Just balance out the teams; make sure you have at least a capable magic user in each and you'll be fine.

Well my main four are gods of destruction. I'm sure they all don't need to be on the same team. I'll level a few of the stragglers up a bit and give it a go. At worst I'll just have to level up a little more.

Have you taken another ride on the figaro castle yet? Have you killed 5 dragons?

Have you taken another ride on the figaro castle yet? Have you killed 5 dragons?

Things I've done so far that I can remember:

Got Odin
    Got the mime
    I think I've killed 6 dragons so far (Storm, White, Blue, Ice, Fire, earth?)
    Killed Doom Gaze
    went to the top of fanatic tower (and back down, ugh)
    i have the sasquatch
    the party menu screen is filled

maybe something else i'm missing but i can't seem to find anything else.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    How many empty slots do you have on the Esper screen?

Edit - Oh yeah, have you gotten Sabin's final Blitz? Have you gone to Doma Castle? And this doesn't do much in terms of gameplay, but have you visited the crazy old man?

Turkey on
    edited August 2012
    Storm is Mt. Zozo, Dirt is Opera House, Ice is Narshe, Fire is Phoenix cave, White is Fanatics Tower, Blue is Castle redux.

Did you upgrade Odin to MGS2 protagonist? Did you ever fix Cyan?

Xenogears of Bore on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Two Words: Grand Train.

steam_sig.png
    I got the one from duncan, bum rush. And I've been to doma. I have raiden and i'm pretty sure cyan is good.

Trick question, you can't fix Cyan.

Trick question, you can't fix Cyan.

OH, well. I don't know, I did the dream thing with him so I thought that's what you were talking about.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    OH, well. I don't know, I did the dream thing with him so I thought that's what you were talking about.
    I'm pretty sure the joke is that Cyan is a pretty terrible party member.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    That was actually a pretty solid PR move on Square's part. The initial fuckup will probably outweigh it in people's minds, but that's really going beyond what was necessary to make things right.

Now if only they'll fix the actual game.

So yeah decided to do a spot of leveling before kefkas tower. Love that Exp. egg.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Just how awful are the load times on V & VI when using the PSN releases? I've been itching to play VI, and being able to do that on a PSP/Vita (well, hopefully Vita gets that capability soon) would be pretty nice. Are the load times bad enough to counter having a portable version that I don't have to throw a bunch of money at just to play the "is this a bootleg" game? I've also heard that the times are a bit better on the digital versions compared to the original releases. I had rented that collection once way way back and don't remember them being too atrocious to begin with.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Just how awful are the load times on V & VI when using the PSN releases? I've been itching to play VI, and being able to do that on a PSP/Vita (well, hopefully Vita gets that capability soon) would be pretty nice. Are the load times bad enough to counter having a portable version that I don't have to throw a bunch of money at just to play the "is this a bootleg" game? I've also heard that the times are a bit better on the digital versions compared to the original releases. I had rented that collection once way way back and don't remember them being too atrocious to begin with.

They're a little improved from the original PSX discs just because you're running it off of flash media rather than the CD, but like with the Chrono Trigger PSOne classic, the shitty load times are actually because of incompetent coding and not the CD, so most of it is still intact.

Yeah...PSN releases are only if you're a devout Sony fan or you really REALLY can't shell cash for an used GBA Micro/Wii.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Or if you've already been burned twice on bootleg GBA carts and still want to play the game in a portable format.

• OmnibusOmnibus Registered User regular
    Cyan's great if he's teamed up with Gau, Mog, and Umaro. Pick a dance, pick a Rage, let the yeti do his thing, and they'll run on autopilot, leaving Cyan enough time to actually charge up his sword-meter without completely hampering the party's damage output.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Didn't they make Cyan better for the GBA release or am I imagining things?

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Imagining things. No Psycho Cyan!

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Do you have the Paladin Shield?

Have you hunted enough Dinosaurs?

Have you gotten Gau every rage?

Have you gotten the 1/128the scale airship from the auction yet?

edited August 2012
    Bluecyan wrote: »

Ha, even I've never had the patience for that :P Not that I haven't tried......

There are also quite a few missable rages which is kind of weird.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Yeah, half of those things are pretty much impossible.
    You can never hunt enough dinosaurs.

edited August 2012
    You know, since it's the Virtual Console version, you can probably add the MULTITUDE of glitches to the list of fun stuff to do (and then wreak your save game with :D). Always fun to have "Fenix Down"s equipped in your weapon slot, on General Leo.

I'd assume they would all work, VC doesn't modify their games (usually). But something about running in Wii's emulator might cause the glitches to react differently than on actual SNES hardware.

Warlock82 on
    So much summer days I wasted getting all rages...ARGH.

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    Do you have the Paladin Shield?

Have you hunted enough Dinosaurs?

Have you gotten the 1/128the scale airship from the auction yet?

Oh! Good advice here.
    You are a bad man who tells lies!

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Did you
    revive General Leo

?

You have to equip the Cursed Ring and fight 255 Intangirs, then bring Terra to his grave, press A/O 25 times, and wait 2 minutes. Enjoy the final member of your party!

No, you have to go to Vector and get the secret item to revive Rachael and then get Siegfried to join your party first :P

Side note:
    http://www.arkasizer.com/rabite/games/ff3sec_1.html

I remember this guide from soooo long ago. I can't find the original txt version though which had way more crazy rumors on it I think.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Did you
    revive General Leo

?

You have to equip the Cursed Ring and fight 255 Intangirs, then bring Terra to his grave, press A/O 25 times, and wait 2 minutes. Enjoy the final member of your party!

That is so cruel.

steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's pretty bad, if you accidentally fight 256 Intangirs you have to start all over.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    It would so easy to slip into a remake if they wanted to. Bonus Ghost Train dungeon, bam.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    It would so easy to slip into a remake if they wanted to. Bonus Ghost Train dungeon, bam.
    Have a second fight against phantom train where suddenly the only attack anyone can use is suplex. So everyone just suplexes the train.

M A G I K A Z A M
    heenato wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Have a second fight against phantom train where suddenly the only attack anyone can use is suplex. So everyone just suplexes the train.

Using a Phoenix Down on it only spawns more Phantom Trains :D

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    All of Shadow's dreams take place in an area that you can go in the game. Maybe there are secrets in these areas? What about the million gold pieces Clyde and Baram stole from the train?

I love that RabiteMan guide

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Someone refresh my memory: FF1 is there any difference if you do the ice cave before the volcano? Aside from getting the ice sword.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Well...

That was awesome! Just beat it. I'm starving so I gotta grab some chow, but I'll write my impressions as soon as I'm done with dinner.

Loved it though!