As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    I've been working on my birthday suit for the past 4 years. Time to utilize it at pax

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    I'll likely be doing my Self-Rescuing Princess thing again. And possibly a thrown-together Kaylee thing too. And then there's the Hogwarts student thing, but that's on Thursday night. :)

Not *that* kind of princess.
  • (DN)Bow Master(DN)Bow Master Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Hmmm, i may need some help, I am going to purposely destroy my Airsoft Tommy.
    mb20xz.jpg
    I am going to take out the trigger, try and get the barrel to point downwards and then attacth the trigger on the outside to make it look like its unusable.
    any suggestions?

(DN)Bow Master on
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Anyone have suggestions for a place to order quality wigs from? Preferably with fast shipping and/or with headquarters in California. :)

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
    kemikal wrote: »
    Anyone have suggestions for a place to order quality wigs from? Preferably with fast shipping and/or with headquarters in California. :)
    U could try Arda wigs, but that will take some time

• Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular

I am going to take out the trigger, try and get the barrel to point downwards and then attacth the trigger on the outside to make it look like its unusable.
    any suggestions?

You may want to check with AaronC first to see if you can even bring such a modified airsoft gun as airsofts are banned.

any suggestions?

You may want to check with AaronC first to see if you can even bring such a modified airsoft gun as airsofts are banned.
    I already posted in the other thread i'm waiting for a answer, but before that while waiting i just need some help with this. I never handled airsoft before and have a fear of destroying it x.x

• JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Even if you remove the guts, you probably won't be able to carry around PAX. If you have a nerf gun that you can modify to look like the prop, you can bring deactivated nerf in as long as it doesn't look like a real gun.
    A COSTUME WEAPON IS *NOT* PERMITTED AT PAX IF:

- It is airsoft, even if deactivated

- It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)

Jindrax on
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Ravenger wrote: »
    I've been working on my birthday suit for the past 4 years. Time to utilize it at pax

Pics? :winky:

• arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    @(DN)BowMaster

The short answer is no airsoft. At all. None. End of story. Even parts to airsoft are extremely iffy.

The long answer is to refer you back to the first post of this thread and read through the sections that have to do with costume weapons.

If you still cannot find your answer after reading then feel free to ask and post but this thread should not turn into a "I have this, can I bring it" thread. That is not what it is about. Sorry to sound curt but I made the giant post in the beginning so that common questions could be answered and that is why I refer people to. The hope is that if a person asks one question they can go and read and possibly get answers to other questions as well.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Actually I think it's been mentioned multiple times in this thread, that if someone can't figure out if what they are bringing is against the rules via the rules post in the OP, that they are to post about it here and wait for an answer from @AaronC. This is so that other people with similar "confusions" can hopefully have them resolved via clarifying posts by the Enforcer in charge of the policy.

• AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Airsoft in any condition are not allowed.

• shinbishinbi Registered User regular

I got mine from epiccosplay.com/

I think they're based in SF? I think all their wigs are heat resistant (well at least the one I got is heat resistant and it works well with my curler and flat iron). Good luck!

• ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'll be going as...

character_large_332x363_amon.jpg?height=363&width=332&quality=0.75

ploogle on
    If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • AnphraxAnphrax TK-4665 Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I might be wearing my Stormtrooper but we'll see how crazy things get...

• AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    I finally started work on my costume for PAX. A little less than a month to pull it off!

teddie_head11.jpg

PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    shinbi wrote: »

I think they're based in SF? I think all their wigs are heat resistant (well at least the one I got is heat resistant and it works well with my curler and flat iron). Good luck!

I ordered my first wig from them and loved their fast service and shipping. It's just, I'm finding it really hard to change the part of the wig. This is my first time with wigs EVER, so I don't know if they are all just like that, or if it's just the ones from them. Additionally, it would be nice to have a wig from somewhere else to compare quality.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    I couldn't figure out one character to cosplay, so I decided to make a dress representing as many as possible.
    It's not done yet, nor will I wear the shirt underneath, but this is a sneak peak of my in progress dress.
    th_Mydress007.jpg

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • anaxareteanaxarete Registered User regular
    I'm planning to come as Asami from LoK. Is there a particular day that's best to bust out the cosplay if we're not planning to wear it all weekend?

• BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    I would pick it based on which day has the fewest amount of panels you want to see as people may stop you for questions/pictures.

I would also consider weather. If it is the short dress costume, I would stick with a day that is hot/sunny if one or two of the other days are rainy.

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • anaxareteanaxarete Registered User regular
    Ahh, that makes sense. I'll probably shoot for one of the cooler days, then, as the outfit I'm making covers a lot of skin. Thanks!

I'm going to plan on wearing my costume all 3 days, gotta spread that Umbrella love! I've also been throwing around the idea of getting an Umbrella umbrella, just for some extra laughs as I'll be weaponless otherwise. XP

• shinbishinbi Registered User regular
    shinbi wrote: »

I ordered my first wig from them and loved their fast service and shipping. It's just, I'm finding it really hard to change the part of the wig. This is my first time with wigs EVER, so I don't know if they are all just like that, or if it's just the ones from them. Additionally, it would be nice to have a wig from somewhere else to compare quality.

When I was researching about wigs (I'm a novice at wigs too, the wig that I bought from epic cosplay is my first one as well. LoL.) Unless you bought like a HIGH QUALITY (meaning a human hair wig) you're kind of stuck with the part that comes with the wig.

As for quality, the quality is better than what you get at a costume wig shop. You might be able to get a better quality wig from China or something (or at least the wigs I was looking at were supposedly made of other nice heat resistant stuff). But if you're on a time crunch and need your wig now, I think the wigs at Epic Cosplay are probably your best bet.

What hair are you trying to accomplish and what wig did you get? @_@

• ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    Ahhh, I have accidentally been ignoring this whole forum, and now it's almost PAX! So excited to see all the costumes this year! :D

I am planning to go as Poison from Street Fighter/Final Fight and Kasumi from Dead or Alive- I am mildly concerned about Poison's costume, though, because my friends keep reminding me about Jessica Nigri being asked to change at PAX East, due to skimpy costumes. Honestly, I don't think it will be a problem for a few reasons, (No boob is showing; I'm not working at a booth; I'm not Jessica Nigri, so I rather doubt people are going to be looking at me enough to even make complaints, etc.) but I would still love to get the general forum opinion on the matter, because I'd rather not push it. (Me on the left in the costume at SDCC) Thanks in advance. I can't really imagine it being an issue, but better to be safe than sorry, I suppose.

OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
    edited August 2012
    There are no costume restrictions for non-paid non professional cos-players. The Booth Babe policy applies only to paid people working for vendors or exhibitors, that's not my opinion, that is show policy. (I should say there is a restriction, but its on weapons, not attire)

You can wear a bikini if you want, no nudity.

AaronC on
    edited August 2012
    I take it there won't be any objections if I have an Umbrella umbrella on me, right? XP
    tumblr_m5jbrcI96P1ryt27vo1_1280.jpg

Sharkey1337 on
  • macwblademacwblade Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So pretty much done with everything for our Army of Two, just one thing. We recently purchased some bendable rubber knives with sheaths to add to our outfits that look pretty B.A. But as you can see below they look pretty convincing when out of sheath. We'd love to keep em, wondering if we can get away with them as is, paint them, or even glue it shut or cut the blade off completely.
    IMAG06172.jpgincluded the nerf gun in the pic to make sure that checks out as well, all internal firing parts removed of course

macwblade on
    The nerf gun will be fine and a bendable rubber knife will be fine as well, with blade attached. That is assuming it is not capable of either cutting or piercing.

Both items will have to be tagged with a zip tie and a description will be put on the sticker on your badge.

The zip tie will need to be visible to another Enforcer checking your items, to be upfront and clear this means it can't be hidden away. It can be put in a place you can have your hand over for pictures, or hidden while a picture is taken, but it must be visible when your just walking around. I'm not saying you would attempt to go around any rules, I just want to be upfront and clear.

With a replica bayonet expect to be checked by Enforcers as you walk around. (that is why you will have a description of the item, so they know it was checked (plus the zip tie)).

If you can live with those restrictions then by all means bring them. If not, then you know what the best course of action is for modifying them.

As a side note, I don't mind addressing these issues, do you all want to keep doing that in this thread?

AaronC wrote: »
    As a side note, I don't mind addressing these issues, do you all want to keep doing that in this thread?

I would prefer that it stick to this thread, or PMs.

• macwblademacwblade Registered User regular
    AaronC wrote: »
    The nerf gun will be fine and a bendable rubber knife will be fine as well, with blade attached. That is assuming it is not capable of either cutting or piercing.

Both items will have to be tagged with a zip tie and a description will be put on the sticker on your badge.

The zip tie will need to be visible to another Enforcer checking your items, to be upfront and clear this means it can't be hidden away. It can be put in a place you can have your hand over for pictures, or hidden while a picture is taken, but it must be visible when your just walking around. I'm not saying you would attempt to go around any rules, I just want to be upfront and clear.

With a replica bayonet expect to be checked by Enforcers as you walk around. (that is why you will have a description of the item, so they know it was checked (plus the zip tie)).

If you can live with those restrictions then by all means bring them. If not, then you know what the best course of action is for modifying them.

Fantastic. To be clear, will the zip ties be given at the security check in or do we need to pick those up ourselves?

Zip ties will be provided.

vgc wrote: »

Fitocracy

Fitocracy

*ahem* Let's keep this on topic eh? ;)

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Well, due to my own ability limitations and time I've decided to cut one of my costumes, Miss Pauling. I probably would've picked her to be cut anyway if it'd been for other reasons, but the fact that I've only spent $12 on her so far compared to the other 2 made it an easy choice. Maybe next time.
    But now that I'm planning on only having 2 costumes for a 3-day event, I was wondering, what do you guys recommend for people in costume? I was thinking of maybe not doing a costume at all now the first day since if it's anything like it was last year the first day will be the huge rush with the waking up early and the powerwalking everywhere to see everything first, so a costume might actually get in the way. Of course, neither of mine should be that cumbersome, if at all, but just a thought I had, and it'd help with makeup and stuff, too.

• RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ughhhh god damn it. My whole Decker's group dropped(all 5 of them), so I'm making my costume alone. No big deal, less I have to worry about others.

Well I lost my job a couple months ago, but I was already committed, damn it, so I was still gonna do it.

I ordered the jacket base off amazon on the 5th, and they say it'll be here on the 9th. Cool! I think, that gives me plenty of time to plan out how much wire I need and order it, thus saving money by not buying unneeded items.

Well today is the 9th, so out of curiosity I check the confirmation email, and IT says the jacket is supposed to be here on the 14-17th. That doesn't give me enough time to get everything done. What the christ? I imagine it's "processing times", but then why initially tell me it would be here a week earlier?

I'm so damn frustrated over this. I'm gonna just improvise the planning with a random jacket I have at the house, I guess.

zerzhul wrote: »

Fitocracy

Costumes are fantastic.

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Fitocracy

Costumes are fantastic.

Pip pip, right O.

Btw, your initial post went *woosh* over my head.

Costume related: I think I'm gonna try to make a silver and green tie out of scalemail for the TWDT.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    I think I will actually have my costumes done with plenty of time to spare this year. All the repairs to my C. Viper and Bayonetta costumes are done except for reattaching one of the guns to its shoe. The only thing left for Dhalsim is finishing up the earrings and adding some elastic to the waistband of the shorts. I'm actually really happy with how all the Dhalsim stuff turned out (hopefully I don't look too silly as a female Dhalsim) - I'll see if I can snap some photos tonight.

• skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    Secret World Templar custom is coming along nicely. Ditched the start of the Dark Brotherhood costume I was doing, and I'm glad I did!

Putting in a bit more color blocking, two more symbols to cut out, and getting everything attached to the jacket. Should be done with plenty of time to spare.

• KimaniKimani Registered User new member
    Putting together a DayZ Survivor cosplay. This'll be my first PAX, so it should be cool! Ordered a cheap nerf gun that I don't mind gutting, and perhaps I can make a hatchet out of foam to go with it.

This discussion has been closed.