As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] I have been granted Emergency Powers. [Mark Spoilers]

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I noticed there was one change they did to the Dread Masters when you do their quest.

Their mask have been changed, once they wore mask similar to what Sith Sorcs or Assassins can get for free now along with a full suit etc.

Now their mask are all gold Aztec like mask.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I started playing this a few days ago, what are some must-have addons I should be using?
    I obv need some skillbars, I have no idea why a 3x12 grid at minimum isn't standard for an mmo these days.

edit: and actually, what's the pa guilds info? I know it was in the murdered op before
    see below

edit 2: I guess you can't modify the ui at all? pretty weak

:?: You can modify your UI. Next to your primary hotbar should be two little tiny tabs. One of them locks/unlocks the bar, the other opens the UI drop-down to select your UI or make your own. I think the Escape menu has the UI editor too.

There are no addons or UI mods, though.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I dunno how they'll manage to go free-to-play with their current system. It seems like a City of Heroes system with modular purchased and shit would be ideal. There's really no way to degrade the main draw (the leveling experience) to encourage subscribing without fucking up the whole thing. Longer travel time is one such way, but besides fiddling with experience and cash I'm not sure what else they can restrict to freebies.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    As has been said before, they can remove all the planetary side quests, and basically force freebies to either buy planetary quest packs or just grind their level to be able to to the class quests.

Or maybe they'll be a little more generous, and divide the side quests into chapters. Chapter 1, 2 and 3. So you get multiple planets per pack.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I dunno how they'll manage to go free-to-play with their current system. It seems like a City of Heroes system with modular purchased and shit would be ideal. There's really no way to degrade the main draw (the leveling experience) to encourage subscribing without fucking up the whole thing. Longer travel time is one such way, but besides fiddling with experience and cash I'm not sure what else they can restrict to freebies.

The Legacy system seems pretty rife with possibilities for microtransactions, and by the time it goes free to play, they may have a decent amount of extra content past the initial 1-50 in the bank.

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    Just re-subbed myself for the hell of it.

haven't played since the first week or two after launch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    :?: You can modify your UI. Next to your primary hotbar should be two little tiny tabs. One of them locks/unlocks the bar, the other opens the UI drop-down to select your UI or make your own. I think the Escape menu has the UI editor too.

There are no addons or UI mods, though.

yeah, I was able to suss it out after awhile. Not quite what I wanted, but good enough.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah, today's this day.

GUa58.jpg

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    As has been said before, they can remove all the planetary side quests, and basically force freebies to either buy planetary quest packs or just grind their level to be able to to the class quests.

Or maybe they'll be a little more generous, and divide the side quests into chapters. Chapter 1, 2 and 3. So you get multiple planets per pack.

Here's my thought. If your main source of revenue is going to come from selling additional content for people once they hit 50, wouldn't you want people to move through the leveling process as quickly as possible.

The more hurdles you put towards reaching 50, the more "subscribers" you'll lose along the route, and ultimately that's a lot of revenue lost from players who never make it to 50.

I'd keep all the content available, and then sell pre-50 adventure packs that actually help you level faster. That seems like a win/win to me, versus slowing down or making leveling MORE difficult.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, CoX's main draw for subs is their post-50 Incarnate stuff (since everything else can be purchased separately). It also helps you can either blitz through to 50 in about a day or 2 or take your time and get there in about a week.

Also, wonder if I should resub just to get my rewards, or I'm void from getting them since I let it lapse.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    When did you lapse? If it was before the end of July, then you aren't eligible.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    It's kind of bizarre that it requires level 20 to open. I have two characters at 10/11 and the bonus box is just sitting in their inventory mocking them.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I guess the weird thing is from what we've seen so far, the F2P conversion is treating the endgame like something worth having, when in reality, its the main reason a lot of people let their subs lapse.

• Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    oddly enough I guess they increased the cut off date for the transfer reward, FAQ says must have an active account before the 31st?

I resubbed just the other day, Got the transfer award in the mail.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

The restrictions they've been hinting at could make things pretty damned inconvenient for F2P people. Otherwise everyone would jump in for the game's strongest point, which is the 1-50 story.

A limit on the amount of credits you can carry coupled with inventory & cargo bay cramping would seriously hamper things. I know when I was leveling my first character, I'd find my inventory full often and have to send a companion off. I'd not really bought many of the inventory expansions and item management became a pain. Now imagine that with only your starter inventory space and no legacy perks like the repair droid or the warp-speed companion selling.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    korodullin wrote: »
    When did you lapse? If it was before the end of July, then you aren't eligible.

yeah, like the middle of the month

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I got one of them on an account I made as a trial on the 31st, didn't create a character on till the 3rd or 4th and just upgraded to an actual account yesterday

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The restrictions they've been hinting at could make things pretty damned inconvenient for F2P people. Otherwise everyone would jump in for the game's strongest point, which is the 1-50 story.

Of course, what's stopping people from playing the first few levels, going, "Fuck, this is just a pain in my ass" then quitting? That's the problem.

F2P has to almost be a bait-and-switch scheme, where you get people hooked on something that's "awesome" then make them pay out the nose to remove the quotes.

The reason a lot of people dropped ToR so early seems to be that the endgame wasn't compelling enough, the bugs and exploits aside. If Bioware wants to see any longevity out of ToR, that's the issue they have to address.

Otherwise, F2P will turn into this:

Player 1: "Hey, I heard ToR went F2P. I was thinking about trying it."
    Player 2: "I wouldn't. I heard it was bad, and F2P made it worse."

Unless their plan is to just try to wring a few more bucks out of the husk, then take the money and run.

ironzerg on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    I don't quite understand the logic of lowering the legacy level requirements for the legacy unlocks, do they really think the reason people don't buy them is because they don't have high enough legacy level? The reason people don't buy them is because they don't have the money.

• Options
    Well I'd say the Legacy level requirements for some of the things were pretty prohibitive, but yeah money was always the big issue. The XP perks in particular didn't even begin getting worth buying until you had Legacy 15, which was just too much. Barring a few things, the account-wide legacy perks are pretty much only really usable by the few people with tens of millions of credits lying around from playing the auction house.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Actually, they changed some Legacy levels with today's patch:
    Legacy

The Legacy Levels required for experience modifier perks have been adjusted. The ranks now require Legacy Level 2/3/5/7/10 (changed from 5/10/15/20/25).
    The Legacy Levels required for companion modifier perks have been adjusted. The ranks now require Legacy Level 2/5/8 (changed from 5/10/15).
    The Capital World and Outlaw's Den priority transit perks now require Legacy Level 2 (previously 10).
    The Fleet Vanguard and Black Hole priority transit perks now require Legacy Level 5 (previously 10).
    The Legacy Levels required for the repair droid perks have been adjusted. The ranks now require Legacy Level 5/8/12 (changed from 10/15/25).
    The field respec perk now require Legacy Level 5 (previously 10).

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The character perks are pretty dumb and looking at them now, I think they were clearly designed with F2P/Cartel Coins in mind.

• Options
    Yeah, I know the Legacy requirements were changed today. Hence all the usage of past tense.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    It makes sense to lower them when you realize you can't even unlock your legacy until you finish chapter 1 on at least one character.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    So, not much of anything for those of us up past Legacy 40?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »

Basically.

I mean I had high enough legacy for everything as soon as it launched. Many people in my guild have legacy above 40. It'd be nice if, with high enough legacy, you could unlock something special. Like maybe making those costly unlocks cost nothing. Say, if you have legacy level 50 you could have first level perks for free. Something like that maybe. It'd be a nice gift for people who have had accounts and played since launch.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    At this point I'm betting the whole legacy thing will be changed within a year to be something quite different, they're making it easier to get, you'll just have to pay for everything more using the cartel coins.

Legacy experience? Why when a person can be charged.

• Options
    CrumbCrumb Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    At this point I'm betting the whole legacy thing will be changed within a year to be something quite different, they're making it easier to get, you'll just have to pay for everything more using the cartel coins.

Legacy experience? Why when a person can be charged.

I'd almost rather be charged real money than farm credits again for the perks I have. I do a decent enough job playing the GTN and it still sucks.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I see the Legacy as a HUGE thing non-subscribers will have to pay for.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Bioware has done an extremely bad job with the economy in this game. Everything is overpriced, and there are not many ways to gold farm.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    So fellow Assassins. This is the first class I have played where I don't know where to put my excess points. I went all the way up the Deception tree and am to the point where I need to figure out which other tree to go up.

Do I go up Darkness and grab 9% Armor Pen, +6% Voltaic Slash damage, +9% Charge damage, and -10sec Force Speed cooldown?

OR

Do I go up Madness and get +2% damage reduction, force crit = +9% melee crit for 10 sec, shock costs 6 less force, and when I cast shock I get a 45% chance to get a second free shock at 50% damage?

First option would seem to get me more guaranteed damage while the second would give me a pretty powerful proc for shock and make it cost alot less when all other procs are considered [(45 base - 6 talent) * .5 talent = 19 force].

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    SabreMau wrote: »

Intensive therapy?

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    Welp, I just canceled my sub. I might come back for f2p, but I doubt it. It was a pleasure playing with you guys while I did. It was my first time leading a PA forum Guild, and you guys were great.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    The problem with saying a high Legacy Level is due to playing from launch is that (I'm pretty sure) they changed how Legacy XP is earned to slow it down.

Rewarding people who have spent more time in the game is one thing, rewarding people who had more time in the first few weeks and were able to take advantage of pre-nerf Legacy XP is another.

• Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    So fellow Assassins. This is the first class I have played where I don't know where to put my excess points. I went all the way up the Deception tree and am to the point where I need to figure out which other tree to go up.

Do I go up Darkness and grab 9% Armor Pen, +6% Voltaic Slash damage, +9% Charge damage, and -10sec Force Speed cooldown?

OR

Do I go up Madness and get +2% damage reduction, force crit = +9% melee crit for 10 sec, shock costs 6 less force, and when I cast shock I get a 45% chance to get a second free shock at 50% damage?

First option would seem to get me more guaranteed damage while the second would give me a pretty powerful proc for shock and make it cost alot less when all other procs are considered [(45 base - 6 talent) * .5 talent = 19 force].

You want mostly the Darkness talents with one of the talents from Madness.. You want most of the Darkness talents you mentioned, skipping the two points in Force Speed. Unless you're PVPing. You want the +9% melee crit from Madness. However, to do that, you need to sacrifice the +9% charge damage. So you're option is +6% charge damage / +9% crit for 10 seconds or 9% charge / 6% crit 10 secs. Really that's your one floater point. Whatever you want to do there, neither option is wrong. I think the "ideal" situation is that while you have a low crit rate to put the talent point into the crit and once your crit rate gets high enough, move it into the charge. But really, that's nitpicking and doing whatever you want is best.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Should I play KOTOR 2 before jumping into this?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Should I play KOTOR 2 before jumping into this?
    Not necessary. KotOR1 hits all the important bits for SWTOR. KotOR2 is a pretty good game though, and worth your time.

• Options
    Maybe? There were a lot of sweeping retcons in the TOR books and storyline towards KotOR 2. You will get some nice story call backs though if you do play.

Just remember that canonically, the Exile is human/female/lightside.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Despite some saying otherwise KOTOR 2 was pretty much mainly swept aside, they changed and altered most of what happened to fit a more proper Star Wars experience.

Hell one could almost argue you don't even need to know KOTOR since they pretty much crap on one big aspect of that game too.

It's mainly the name drops and call outs that really give you anything out of the whole thing.

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Bioware has done an extremely bad job with the economy in this game. Everything is overpriced, and there are not many ways to gold farm.

???

A single round of dailies is around a quarter million credits, it takes roughly a week to get the most expensive thing. Or while leveling do you mean? It can be rough affording skills and such the first time through if you level your crew skills.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
This discussion has been closed.