As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vancouver PAX Forumer Events: 2012 Edition

• SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    I wasn't sure what the "usual" and "regular" events were, so let me know if anything needs to be changed.

Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    Have you guys finalized the plans for the group travel to Seattle (Aug 30)? Is it the Amtrak train again?

I have no idea how I am getting to pax yet. :S

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Sumi wrote: »
    Have you guys finalized the plans for the group travel to Seattle (Aug 30)? Is it the Amtrak train again?

I have no idea how I am getting to pax yet. :S

I'm split between driving and taking the train.
    Both have benefits and are equally priced for the most part. Car is maybe a little more expensive.

Does anyone know if Bowser is planning on doing a Canadian Supertrip thread?
    If not, I may make one... if not for a supertrip, it would be a carpooling thread.

Speaking of that, Sumi I need a couple passengers if you're up for carpooling...

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    Keep in mind if you're not staying at the homewood, parking is roughly $30 a day. It's cheaper if you park at the garage across from the center, but still quite pricey.

Keep in mind if you're not staying at the homewood, parking is roughly $30 a day. It's cheaper if you park at the garage across from the center, but still quite pricey.

I'm staying at the Homewood, but Parking is still $30/day (?)
    When you do the math though, it's not much more than taking the train.
    4 x $30 = $120 plus gas which with my car is maybe $30 round trip -
    $150~ total for car

Amtrak is $80 round trip

If I can afford it, I'll be taking my car.
    The extra $$ is worth it to me for having the convenience of a car.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    Hmm, not sure which hotel it is that has free parking then. Unless whoever it was stopped because they knew how much money there was to be made.

Yeah, parking's a biATCH anywhere you go downtown.
    If people carpool though, it can come out cheaper than the train.

Anyway, back on topic...
    I am in for:
    - Lazerpewpew
    - Water Slides
    - Abby Raid night
    - Wings (if it's before Wednesday)

Also I should be at renfest and celebration of light (all 3 nights)

Sad news about Jimz gaming lounge... we'll have to find something similar to fill that space.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • LuckySeanLuckySean Registered User regular
    Hey I'm a little late to the forum fun for PAX. I'm also coming from Vancouver (and actually was at the Tenacious D concert and it was AMAZING) I also signed up the Tri Wizard if anyone is doing that.

edited August 2012
    Why, yes. I am head girl for Ravenclaw OotP, many of us Canadians are in that house. Are you a friend... or enemy?

Sumi on
  • dillendillen Registered User regular
    Late to get on the forums myself, but I will be trying to make the Davie Sushi night, and maybe waterslides. Just put myself on the waiting list for TriWizard... hope I get in!

edited August 2012
    Updated.

By popular demand, wings has been moved to the Tuesday preceding PAX.

I think we should do paintball someday.

Also if anyone learns of an establishment with some awesome friday night drink specials that isn't ultra busy, please let it be known. We need to find a substitute for Friday Night Fishbowls. :(

Sumi on

Some of us (myself included) got tickets for the Bolt Bus on Thursday morning.

https://www.boltbus.com/

• tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    I'm in for waterslides/abbotsford raid, and laser tag. I'm ditching zomgputtputt in favour of pitch & putt in north van before laser tag. I'll also be there for wings, I'm sure. I can't really remember what other events there are listed, but I'll probably be at those too.

• degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    Put me on Maybe for waterslides. I will be there for Wings. I am also taking the Bolt Bus at 6:30 am on Thursday August 30.

• afreakafreak Registered User regular
    Won't be at PAX this year, but put me down for an RSVP for FTW? :)

• BombchelleBombchelle Registered User regular
    I'm in for Waterslides, Raid night, FTW and am on the Bolt Bus for 6:30am. :)

Updated.

Also if anyone learns of an establishment with some awesome friday night drink specials that isn't ultra busy, please let it be known. We need to find a substitute for Friday Night Fishbowls. :(

Gargoyles on Broadway does cheap, decent Long Island pitchers...

• TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Go ahead and put me down for ZOMGGoLFPUTTPUTT, Lazers, and Dinner.

Should be able to make those...

Theros on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    Ooooh, putting. Putt me down on that list (either, please).

• WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    Put me down for everything except the seymour creek thinger. I'll be doing pitch and putt somewhere with tr0tsky no doubt.

• pianodudepianodude Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User new member
    I'm not sure if this is something of interest but there is a video game cover band playing a house gig on aug 28th. I believe they are the second set so they would start around 9:30 so people could head there after wings. Here is the facebook event if anyone is interested.

https://www.facebook.com/events/507962105885479/

• faerielaurelynfaerielaurelyn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    So a more "for sure" RSVP
    Yes to Laser tag and Mongolian BBQ, no to all others since I will be heading down on that Friday night most likely.

No, YOU make ME a sandwich!
    There is so much awesome on this page. Thanks errybody!! :D

edited August 2012
    RSVPs Updated and some new events were added.

Does anyone want to host or plan something non-active to replace Jimz? It was a yearly staple and it's going to feel really odd without it. Maybe we can soften the blow?

Sumi on
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    I'll be at FTWs and on the Bolt Bus.

If you wanted to add the Protomen concert at the Biltmore on the 29th to the list, I'm also going to that.

Also looks like I may have to go to Cultis Lake if everyone is going to it before Castle Fun Park, otherwise I don't have a way out to Abbotsford. On that note, if anyone is heading to the Abbotsford Raid Night from Vancouver that is not going to Cultis, please let me know.

• joshanaitorjoshanaitor Registered User regular
    These events sound awesome is their a meeting spot for these things

It just depends on the event. If you rsvp to anything in particular, you could try seeking a phone number. Unfortunately there is no one person who is attending everything.

Also the obligatory: *there. (Sorry, it's the internet! It had to be done.)

• dillendillen Registered User regular
    Now that wings are on the Tuesday, I'll see y'all then. ^^ nomnom WINGS!

• pianodudepianodude Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User new member
    I'll be at the Video Game Band thing and on the Bolt Bus for sure.

Also put me down as a maybe for the Water Slides.

• PicklesworthPicklesworth Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'll be on the boltbus at 1:30PM on August 30. (Surely you aren't _all_ crazy 6:30AM people?).
    Also, I'm a Maybe for the Dinner.

Picklesworth on
  • dtglthreedtglthree Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    hey, i'm new to the forums... just wondering if anyone is going to be going down to PAX via the bolt bus early Friday?

dtglthree on
  • dtglthreedtglthree Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    -edited double post-

dtglthree on
    I know a bunch of us are crazy 6:30am Bolt bus people ;)
    Also for the mini-putt, do we want to try the Bear Creek mini-golf in Surrey? http://www.bcminigolf.com/ It's just off King George Hwy and about a 5min walk from a bus, as opposed to a 10-15min walk to the Seymour creek location?

edited August 2012
    Bombchelle wrote: »
    I know a bunch of us are crazy 6:30am Bolt bus people ;)
    Also for the mini-putt, do we want to try the Bear Creek mini-golf in Surrey? http://www.bcminigolf.com/ It's just off King George Hwy and about a 5min walk from a bus, as opposed to a 10-15min walk to the Seymour creek location?

Not sure if it would work as a direct replacement as regardless of transit accessibility surrey is pretty far from the laser tag later that day.

Possibly an alternative for the former Jim's Gaming Lounge Night though?

Looking back, the whole reason we ever did Seymour Creek in the first place was people wanted stuff to do earlier in the day before laser tag and it is a cheap place ($5.00), close to laser tag, that isn't crowded and allowed a large group of us to get together and hang out. Unlike Castle Fun Park (which is actually a pretty good mini-putt location) where we often have other groups all around us, at Seymour Creek we could loiter in a big group, socialize and goof around.

Personally I never went there for the min-golf, I went to socialize. The activity of going there to meet up, then to Raven for food/drinks, then to Laser Tag worked really well up until last year.

Though RSVP reductions for the event may not be directly related to the venue anyway.

Based on the RSVPs most of the events this year look like they are in danger of downsizing anyway, not just Seymour Creek.

Either that or an epic shit ton of people expect everyone to totally know they are coming and are expecting to be included in every reservation without RSVPing, which is also totally possible. Lol.

AbsintheMinded on
    I should also mention that's not a dig at trotsky's pitch and putt event.

Pitch and putt is a different thing from mini putt, not just a different venue.

I still think pitch and putt would be better placed on a different day so people who want to do both can but that's a different issue. :P

Some mentioned going to minigolf but I wasn't sure which one was being referred to, so I put Bombchelle and Quizmaster in the maybe categories for both. If you would like to change that, let me know.

Also the problem with replacing Jimz with more golf is that everything on the list (save the two dinners) is active and not very accessible. We could consider a bad movie night or something, since the pre-pax movie no longer happens and we haven't seen a bad movie in a while.

edited August 2012
    I am not going to be able to do Pitch&Putt on Saturday, as I'm working until 5:30 now. My new plan is to do it on Sunday afternoon after a morning hike up to Eagle Bluffs (Cypress).

So, Alternative (not really alternative anymore, since you could do both) Golf will be at 3pm at the Ambleside Par 3 course behind Park Royal Mall. Heading from there to Mongolian BBQ.
    I still think pitch and putt would be better placed on a different day so people who want to do both can but that's a different issue. :P

Your wish is my (job's) command!

tr0tsky on
    edited August 2012
    Is there any way golf could be pushed to 3:30? I work until 2 in Abbotsford. I could try to make as close to 3 as possible, but it would have to depend on getting out of work right on time and there not being any traffic (which, based on my past luck, is highly unlikely).

Sumi on
    Is there any way golf could be pushed to 3:30? I work until 2 in Abbotsford. I could try to make as close to 3 as possible, but it would have to depend on getting out of work right on time and there not being any traffic (which, based on my past luck, is highly unlikely).

Sure, we can do 3:30.

Whoooooo.

This discussion has been closed.