As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla]-Game of Secrets- Game over! Mafia Victory!

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I had fun on day 1! Will grudge TRV and psolms (lightly) for being killed for the grave sin of spreadsheeting.

Thanks for running, ahava!

• Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    I didn't like the mafia being able to ruin the secrets of so many people, just because they happen to submit it before the game.

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    The problem with outing mafia was that it killed discussion and momentum for the phalla i think.

Fun game, but too long (imo). Forum farts hurt it too obviously, but we weren't exactly chatty before that.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Hehe I had fun being weird this game! Thank you for running it, also pretty happy I freaked the mafia out over fluff.

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I had fun on day 1! Will grudge TRV and psolms (lightly) for being killed for the grave sin of spreadsheeting.

Thanks for running, ahava!

It may not be the classiest move, but it removed a vital tool from the village. I regret nothing!

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    PS that posting restriction was dumb and pointless (although I did laugh at RR getting REALLY mad about it). Stereotyping in such an obvious and unentertaining manner seemed unecessary. I don't have anything against posting restrictions, but I'd rather have someone run their post through alta-vista twice and then put it up then "swap r/l in posts".

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    PS that posting restriction was dumb and pointless (although I did laugh at RR getting REALLY mad about it). Stereotyping in such an obvious and unentertaining manner seemed unecessary. I don't have anything against posting restrictions, but I'd rather have someone run their post through alta-vista twice and then put it up then "swap r/l in posts".

All vowels must now be replaced by a tilde.

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    All vowels must now be replaced by a tilde.

N~w th~t's j~st g~~s~ry.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Did they use secrets in any way?

Secrets were impossible for us. After night one we knew kime would demand control and that people who defied him would be killed by the vote, and since the user was revealed, they had no worth at all. After day 3 we assumed he had a secret index, and we'd still be dead.

Obifett wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Suggest we swap romanqwerty to green barons in the kill. Make them fear counting votes in public, plus they seem to be working with kime.

Kime
    Obifett
    Greenbarons

What do you guys think?

@spool32, welcome to my day 1 grudge list. :)

:^: You seemed special! That should be a compliment! There was a page where the three of you were talking really rapidly together, and it all seemed orchestrated to me.

If you read none of the proboards, you should read day 1 with me freaking out as my first ever mafia, and psolms trying to calm my shit down as he nearly got voted out for no reason. Dude was ice cold. :)

I'm really sad that my secret got wasted. I'm glad that the mafia killed me the day that I decided to be cannon fodder. I was effectively useless at that point, so I figured if I could maybe draw a kill off a network target than that would be awesome.

@lonelyahava was the change in who was targeting who with the secret (changed about day 3 or so) intended from the beginning or meant to nerf the village and allow mafia to use their secrets without getting found out?

Sorrry! I was giggling the whole time you were taunting me though. Because we had clarifications on how close the secrets could be and I knew we were in the clear, and that your confidence would mean a secret slot would be used on a wasted one.

@kime I think I really had you dialled in, in terms of mindset and the state of the network. Though you did a solid job of not giving anything away to me on the last day when I was poking everyone like crazy to see what I could stir up.

How has no one mentioned Dio's accidental guard reveal yet?!? We were sure it was a trap, but apparently it was a genuine mistake...

The problem with outing mafia was that it killed discussion and momentum for the phalla i think.

That was 100% intentional. I knew that if people started looking through votes and resetting their minds against the people I had been pushing (tzeentch in particular) that we'd have serious problems. While I had a blast screwing with you guys on that day, it was also intentionally done to confuse the vote and get people to forget all the people I'd been casting aspersions towards.

In the end, the village killed most of the people on my original list that we didn't kill ourselves.

spool32 on
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular

It doesn't help when you don't tell anybody it's a post restriction. You could have prevented it, but you took the low road and decided to troll instead. Stay classy.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Most post restrictions typically state you can't say they're being enforced. I thought it was pretty obvious

Regarding burning secrets for the village:

It was a big concern, because we assumed kimenetwork had an index, and if we weren't careful we'd out ourselves just by process of elimination. In the end I felt kime's network was basically nonexistent and we'd be better off destroying the only village powers left. For good measure, TRV put himself in the firing line so I could lie and say I was exposing exarch's secret.

When nothing came of that, I was very confident the village network was in disarray and we had a shot at pulling off the win.

Regarding my day of chaos:
    It was actually really hard! I wanted to respond, particularly to warban and stever, but doing so too casually would reveal them as village... I wanted anyone looking back through the posts to have no leads on who I was taunting and who I wasn't, so they couldn't draw conclusions. Also, I really wanted to make a big fuss in order to distract everyone from the list of people I'd been throwing suspicion on. @Vagrant_Winds if you look through day 2 you'll see the point where I named you Honorary Mafia for a fantastic list that had none of us on it. :) I took that and ran with it as much as I could, and it seemed to really derail the vote hunt for us.

I hope i didn't annoy anyone too much - I really figured "screw it, I'm having fun with this and in the process I'm gonna bury the mafia signal under a lot of noise and give my teammates plenty of reason to distance themselves from me".

Regarding the game mechanics:
    Secrets. Oh man, secrets! Like holding a poisonous snake for the mafia. They really were useless to us as tools to win, and super dangerous because the network head could ask us to use one on a fellow mafia at any time. In the first three days the "expose the user" mechanic made it super dangerous to try and slip one in, and after that we thought there was no chance to hide anyhow.

On the day I was seered in public, we'd already decided to try and break through kime's guard by using a secret and a mafia attack, and that I'd take the heat for it if things went badly. We figured it was a high-risk, high reward move. I submitted my kill shot at 11:01, literally the moment the vote closed. Had it sitting in another tab just waiting!
    Then I got publicly exposed... so we abandoned the Kill Kime idea after realizing my secret wouldn't fire off. It did ruin a chance for someone else at least.

Apparently that was a bad call, as ahava says we could have broken through it with a double-tap!

Regarding the game overall:
    @lonelyahava thank you for running it! I had a fantastic time.

Mafia teammates, thank you for not being too annoyed as I spammed the mafia boards instead of the public ones. Trying to hide in plain sight is hard as hell! You guys kicked nine kinds of ass in this game.

Everyone I lied to: Sorry for being Mr. McLiarpants!

@Spool32, I tend to blow up the proboards when I'm mafia, stream-of-consciousness style. You gotta do what works for you. I had a lot of fun, and thank everyone for playing, but especially my cohorts :-D

@reg_rysk

Seriously who is okay with outing posting restrictions... you cry about too many things. How could I prevent it? You went raging after I made... was it 2 posts?

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    I knew @TheRoadVirus was mafia! Your bleeding eyes avatar was obviously something a mafia player who was enjoying themselves too much would do.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!
    Oh, also @Jdarksun, @greenbarons, @mrblarney, @MrTLicious

I kinda feel bad about intentionally targeting people who counted votes in public, but the village was struggling to keep accurate counts and with no magic box allowed I felt like we had to go for it. If I'd stayed alive, my next tactic was to point this out to kime and beg for a guard in exchange for keeping a good record throughout the game. Of course, I was wrong about the number of seers (my biggest mistake IMHO, the even-odd thing meant I had that really wrong) and it probably would've spelled my doom.

Oh hey warban, when did you reveal yourself to kimenetwork?

He did a thing where he defended you for being and oldschool guy who ought not get voted out early. Did he know you were a special before day 2?

@Orange Soda there was a point where you told me you'd submitted your secret for the next day. I rewrote my response 5 different times, but I kept feeling like I'd be giving the game away... so I just wrote "ahhh" and let it drop.

• M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    apologies to everyone if im a terrible player, i'm pre occupied a lot now with school starting and other things in my life. I also tend to play other games if I have the free time available.

thanks ahava for running it

warban wrote: »
    I knew @TheRoadVirus was mafia! Your bleeding eyes avatar was obviously something a mafia player who was enjoying themselves too much would do.

It was so fun!

Retaba wrote: »
    Hehe I had fun being weird this game! Thank you for running it, also pretty happy I freaked the mafia out over fluff.

You completely threw me off being so willing to die. I was worried sick that some disaster would befall us.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Thanks for hosting, Hava. I was hoping to make more of the village active by voting early on inactive people, but only vagrant winds really started posting more. Never saw my secret get called out: I was a community of small woodland animals in a suit. Secrets were a neat idea and added a lot of flavor to the game, as well as the names.

Bluecyan wrote: »
    Thanks for hosting, Hava. I was hoping to make more of the village active by voting early on inactive people, but only vagrant winds really started posting more. Never saw my secret get called out: I was a community of small woodland animals in a suit. Secrets were a neat idea and added a lot of flavor to the game, as well as the names.

Mafia had yours but it was held by a living member, so I didn't destroy it and we couldn't use our secrets.

The only way we could have really used our secrets would have been to give kime a total lie, but we didn't know that the user info would disappear, so we were in a bind either way really.

Yep. If we'd all bullshitted kime from the beginning maybe it would have worked, but he should have had a list:

player / Secret held / Secret made

Any line that doesn't have all three is suspect, which makes lying dangerous as hell.

I don't know if they had such a list, though.

I never told anyone the secret I made, save for the guys on the proboards. It wasn't asked for, so I never volunteered it. i try my best not to give info away

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Also Infidel, I'm pretty sure it was never the plan to test psolms by having him guard you, since he was getting seered anyways. Can't quite recall the details though.
    shalmelo wrote: »
    That was actually psolms - when kime was publicly seered, psolms contacted kime claiming to be a guard. Kime asked him to guard infidel on night 3, and we decided that it was worth risking psolms in order to take down infidel before he could assemble a network.

OrokosPA.png
    Aka doing absolutely nothing would have been preferable to actively being detrimental to the village <3

OrokosPA.png
    heh. We love you infy! But you had to die.

Public seering really painted a target on people's backs.

I always feel bad getting rid of some of the "power players" early, because I'm sure it happens to them a lot, but it is also a bad idea to leave village assets out there for a long time.

Sorry

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Yep. If we'd all bullshitted kime from the beginning maybe it would have worked, but he should have had a list:

player / Secret held / Secret made

Any line that doesn't have all three is suspect, which makes lying dangerous as hell.

I don't know if they had such a list, though.

Not only that, but each secret held entry must show up in a secret made entry and vice versa. There's a very little bit of leeway due to the day 1 deaths, but... not enough that we could lie or use secrets

I'm not blaming the mafia, I'm saying kime might have more success if he starts paying attention. :P

OrokosPA.png
    hehe... I want to hear more from him. He seemed really off his game this time!

@infidel, did you get a look at how the network structure was shaping up? How were they doing things?

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    @reg_rysk

Seriously who is okay with outing posting restrictions... you cry about too many things. How could I prevent it? You went raging after I made... was it 2 posts?

I was upset because I found them (and you) offensive. If I had been given that restriction I would have told the host "no, no I'm not going to do that." There is also the possibility you were given a wide berth and chose to go that route.

REG Rysk wrote: »
    @reg_rysk

I was upset because I found them (and you) offensive. If I had been given that restriction I would have told the host "no, no I'm not going to do that." There is also the possibility you were given a wide berth and chose to go that route.

I'm not going to tell the host "I'm not doing that." If anything, I might have inactivus't, but it was hilarious that you autoassumed that I was behind the idea, and gave 0 thought that it was an stupid posting restriction.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    That's because I dislike you, and I think you are capable of doing something like that on your own.

Guys, guys. Let's shake hands, go to our separate lockers, and call it a day, yeah? We know where you both stand, so maybe future anger can be taken to PMs?

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Shut up, TRV!
    Who made you Emperor?
    Oh, wait...

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    stever777 wrote: »
    Shut up, TRV!
    Who made you Emperor?
    Oh, wait...
    GOD DID